Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2019, 20:50   #1381
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20191108_200029.jpg

Finally, there she is!

Just took her home. It was a very illuminating ride, since i rode all the way from fatimanagar to pcmc!
So got to experience light, medium, heavy, stalled traffic, and then a splash of open roads to top it off.

Fun story. The showroom guy hadn't locked the seat in place properly. So about 3/4th of the way home, the seat shifted. Legit scary moment. So i stopped by the roadside, got off, fit it in place, and the resumed.

All in all, fun experience i must say.

Last edited by ashishk29 : 8th November 2019 at 20:52.
ashishk29 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 00:02   #1382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
Attachment 1932538

Finally, there she is!

Just took her home. It was a very illuminating ride, since i rode all the way from fatimanagar to pcmc!
So got to experience light, medium, heavy, stalled traffic, and then a splash of open roads to top it off.

Fun story. The showroom guy hadn't locked the seat in place properly. So about 3/4th of the way home, the seat shifted. Legit scary moment. So i stopped by the roadside, got off, fit it in place, and the resumed.

All in all, fun experience i must say.
Hey congratulations for the bike, you'll always get a smile whenever you'll be riding there are some good bar end mirrors available on bangood.in and ebay you can check them out. Get a full face helmet which doesn't open up as during a crash the front opens up and face gets exposed.
yesyeswe is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 00:09   #1383
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
Hey congratulations for the bike, you'll always get a smile whenever you'll be riding there are some good bar end mirrors available on bangood.in and ebay you can check them out. Get a full face helmet which doesn't open up as during a crash the front opens up and face gets exposed.
Stick to OEM stuff(Even from a different manufacturer) mate, Chinese bar end mirrors or any such mirrors use plain glass.

And its outright hazardous to use due to already limited viewing area.

Motorcycling is dangerous as it is, why make it more hazardous and that too simply for the sake of pointless vanity.

Ride Safe,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 05:29   #1384
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, a helmet upgrade is on the list. Will get it done soon enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Stick to OEM stuff(Even from a different manufacturer) mate, Chinese bar end mirrors or any such mirrors use plain glass.

Motorcycling is dangerous as it is, why make it more hazardous and that too simply for the sake of pointless vanity.

Ride Safe,
A.P.
Mirrors: yes, definitely need an upgrade. Even the showroom guy told me to get rid of the stock mirrors
Old 9th November 2019, 10:30   #1385
BHPian

Quote:

I have got the original RE mirrors, got them thinking the same about quality and originality and what not, paid 4000 ₹. But if truth be told they aren't worth it, they don't cover the area behind you properly, i can't switch lanes confidently now i am keeping them for aesthetics only. So it's better to get cheaper ones just for aesthetics
yesyeswe is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 10:45   #1386
BHPian

Quote:
I have got the original RE mirrors, got them thinking the same about quality and originality and what not, paid 4000 ₹. But if truth be told they aren't worth it, they don't cover the area behind you properly, i can't switch lanes confidently now i am keeping them for aesthetics only. So it's better to get cheaper ones just for aesthetics
They are similar size and shape, right? Even I'm in the same boat. I want better mirrors, but OEM accessory looks the same as this one.
The visibility is quite poor.

I'm thinking mirrors from the dominar would be nice if the fitting could be managed.
ashishk29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 10:51   #1387
BHPian

Couple of riders have used the Bajaj avenger mirrors. They come in chrome and black based on preference. It's squarish and goes with the overall retro theme. You might want to check it out . They are relatively inexpensive and a direct fit . Visibility has improved leaps and bounds .
keshav1426 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 16:42   #1388
BANNED

Quote:
Even the showroom guy told me to get rid of the stock mirrors
That's Darwinism at play, let the idiots perish.

Quote:
I have got the original RE mirrors, got them thinking the same about quality and originality and what not, paid 4000 ₹. But if truth be told they aren't worth it, they don't cover the area behind you properly, i can't switch lanes confidently now
Just because something is available as an accessory doesn't mean you should blindly go for it if personal safety is at stake.

When you get the time can you post pictures of the mirror's, I would like to get an idea of range as it is highly unlikely Royal Enfield would sell you rebranded Chinese mirrors that use Plain Mirrors instead of Convex Mirrors.

Quote:
i am keeping them for aesthetics only. So it's better to get cheaper ones just for aesthetics
RVM's are critical components on a motorcycle, their aesthetics is secondary.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 9th November 2019 at 16:45.
ashwinprakas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 18:57   #1389
BHPian

Booked the RE Interceptor 650 Ravishing Red
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-sn_re_rr.jpg

Delivery is expected next week.
For accessories I have gone for:
  • Engine Guard
  • Sump Guard
  • Fork Gaiters
They also have some ceramic coating for ₹4000. Has anyone done it? Worth it?
timuseravan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 22:55   #1390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Booked the RE Interceptor 650 Ravishing Red .
They also have some ceramic coating for ₹4000. Has anyone done it? Worth it?
Don't go for ceramic coating. Honestly, I have more or less became a detailer myself, and ceramic coating just makes protection layer, which honestly multiple coats of the 350rs bottle from aliexpress does!
its the scratch and swirl removal before coating is important, and ceramic coating will not provide too much of a protection.
You are better of with collinite 845 or better ones fortnightly to have a pratical protection!
thirumalkumaran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 23:50   #1391
BHPian

Quote:
They are similar size and shape, right? Even I'm in the same boat. I want better mirrors, but OEM accessory looks the same as this one.
The visibility is quite poor.

I'm thinking mirrors from the dominar would be nice if the fitting could be managed.
You can go to the bajaj service center and ask about the size of the bolt which the mirror has, any mechanic at the service center will tell you about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by keshav1426 View Post
Couple of riders have used the Bajaj avenger mirrors. They come in chrome and black based on preference. It's squarish and goes with the overall retro theme. You might want to check it out . They are relatively inexpensive and a direct fit . Visibility has improved leaps and bounds .
The will go well with the overall look of the bike, will look good with interceptor but with continental GT only bar end mirrors will go.
Quote:

Just because something is available as an accessory doesn't mean you should blindly go for it if personal safety is at stake.

When you get the time can you post pictures of the mirror's, I would like to get an idea of range as it is highly unlikely Royal Enfield would sell you rebranded Chinese mirrors that use Plain Mirrors instead of Convex Mirrors.

RVM's are critical components on a motorcycle, their aesthetics is secondary.
I just saw the mirrors on some youtube videos and asked the showroom guys to install them before delivery, i was too exited to check them out beforehand
I bought my bike through company store which is the oldest store in my city as well have a good reputation, moreover the fit finish of the glasses is top notch so the chance of being duplicate is 0%.

The mirrors cover the area behind me but they don't cover the side areas properly, i was having pulsar before and the pulsar's mirror were wide and used to give very good field of view, so compared to them the bar end ones aren't good. I'll keep them till i find a better replacement, safety is the number one priority to me
Old 10th November 2019, 17:09   #1392
BHPian

I sat on both today. I definitely thought the GT Foot Position and seat was more comfortable than the Interceptor. I liked the view from the seat more on the GT as well. Strangely enough, the GT felt lighter as well.

The showroom staff all feel that long term the Interceptor would be a better buy for city commute as well as touring. They recommend the GT only for Sunday morning rides.

Couldn't test ride as it was a random stop in between errands (turned into a long stop and the wife cross examined me on why my chores were taking so long ��) and I was in flip flops without my gear on me. Need to plan a ride soon though.

Confusion confusion!

Last edited by imp! : 10th November 2019 at 17:14.
imp! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 19:54   #1393
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
I sat on both today. I definitely thought the GT Foot Position and seat was more comfortable than the Interceptor. I liked the view from the seat more on the GT as well. Strangely enough, the GT felt lighter as well.

The showroom staff all feel that long term the Interceptor would be a better buy for city commute as well as touring. They recommend the GT only for Sunday morning rides.
Even when I have taken test rides of the 650 twins, I have found myself preferring the GT 650 over the Interceptor 650. Then again I had a Yamaha R15 for 7 years and have been riding the GT 535 for the last 5 years, so I am used to aggressive seating positioning. YMMV. But one thing is for certain, the GT 650 is not limited to being just a weekend bike.

But that said, for daily commuting, especially if you carry a laptop on your back to work, the more upright seating position of the Interceptor might be more practical.

The best thing to do is to test ride both back to back, in the same conditions and see which suits you better. It is somewhat of a head vs heart decision between the two.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 21:30   #1394
BHPian

Quote:
I did longish (~25-30mins) test rides of both GT and Interceptor and your first impression is correct - the GT is initially more comfortable. And more importantly also handles and rides better.

However for me the lean-in was a bit too much after some time. The showroom guys are correct that over longer time and with practical considerations, the Interceptor will be the better bike.

Try for a longer test ride on both. The first impressions in short ride might not be good one.
timuseravan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 09:19   #1395
BHPian

Quote:

Confusion confusion!
Even i was on the same dilemma as you but ended up buying GT on the suggestion of the showroom staff, he told me that as you are more inclined towards GT right now, get the GT and later on if you want you can swap the handle and foot peg assembly of the GT with interceptor's. That seemed doable to me and i got the GT, and i am happy with my decision, haven't faced issue with riding stance. The handling and the riding stance give it more of a sports bike feel and thus inspire confidence while riding.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks