Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2019, 07:04   #1516
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Well recently the engine casing of my GT was loosing its shine and i was tired of rubbing my hands off with the autosol polish. So finally after a bit of searching offline i was able to find the felt buffing pad for my angle grinder and the job was done in 10 minutes. The pad is available online on Amazon but they are charging way too much for it
1. Engine casing getting dull
2. Bosch angle grinder costs 1700₹ + buffing wheel 40₹
3. Autosol polish applied on the engine casing
4. Work in progress on the casing
5. The results are amazing, saves a lot of time and energy as compared to doing it manually
Instructions:
1.Instead of doing the whole area at once, work on small area at a time, that will give a better finish.
2.Take breaks in between as hands gets tired easily due to the weight and the vibrations
3. Avoid the tricky areas with the machine, instead do them by hand as the wheel damages the painted areas
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img20191125wa0002.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img20191124wa0013.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img20191124wa0014.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img20191124wa0015.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img20191125wa0003.jpg  

yesyeswe is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 08:28   #1517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resfeber View Post
I've two concerns, there seems to be a very slight wobble in the front when I engage the 2nd gear and it quickly fades away, not sure what this is though. (Any idea guys?)
I dont have any such problem nor read it anywhere. Better get it checked up.

Quote:
And also, even in this cold Bangalore weather, it heats up a lot. Is this because the bike is new? I've read a few posts where it seems to suggest that it becomes normal/manageable after a few hundred kms.
I hardly feel the heat on my Interceptor. As a matter of fact, the bike heats up less than my first gen Duke 390.
Which bike are you coming from? It might just be the case of getting used to the heat.

Quote:
I've noticed that my riding style has changed to enjoy the bike more, if you considering this bike, go ahead and experience one. A fantastic bike.
Completely agree!
timuseravan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 09:45   #1518
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations rahulskumar, that is probably the fastest documented Royal Enfield 650 purchase on the forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
2. Front tire wobble around 80 kms/hr. I complained the same to the dealer during first service but they could not resolve.They did alignment and did not find any issue. Basically even their test ride bike which is from the same batch has the same issue. I went home very upset and was kicking myself for my decision to purchase a bike from RE. Even my 5 year old activa runs smoothly at 80. Later I just took the bike to check the air pressure and it was way too low around 22. The issue went off when the tire pressure was maintained at 30. I dont know how competent these showroom mechanics are, they did not even check the tire pressure even after complaining about the wobble issue. They just kept saying all bigger bikes have this issue and asked me to wait till the parts to swap arrive.
I suspect the reason that the Royal Enfield mechanics were unable to diagnose this could be due to missing infrastructure. In Cochin, the biggest RE service center is run by the company itself at Edapally and very surprisingly they dont have a basic air pressure gauge to check and correct tire pressures. This was confirmed to me by one of the service advisors last year.

Last edited by neil.jericho : 9th December 2019 at 09:46. Reason: Correcting for clarity
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 10:26   #1519
BHPian

Quote:

Things I liked:
1. How could RE launch this beauty for 2.5 lakhs, cannot believe the value for money and she is definitely a keeper. Lovely gear box and excellent torque. I drove below 90 throughout my Tvm-Cochin-Tvm day trip and got an excellent mileage around 37. 460 kms covered on day 1.
I felt the power delivery at lower rpm is similar to Ninja 300 which I had before. But the feel is totally different. I'm riding bullet for the first time in my life. Booked the vehicle without even a test drive. I rode my bike after purchasing and it was the first time ever to ride a RE
2. How can I miss the lovely refined exhaust note, especially during overtaking in 3rd and 4th gear. 6th cog is totally waste below 100
Completely agree! The engine is an absolute gem! I was blown away by the amount of R&D RE seems to have put into this engine.
The gearing is very convenient. Do note that she'll do 40kmph in 6th gear just fine without any knocking or such

Quote:
Things I did not like:
1. Seat cushion: I got terrible back pain and somehow reached home during my first day trip. Next day I approached my trusted seat modifier and changed the foam and reduced the seat height by an inch. For the next 400 kms I did not find any issue. After a week, bikes odo stands at 950 kms.
Completely agree. The seat cushion is just horrible. I did a 200km run with the seat and ... let's just say it was a literal P.I.T.A.

Quote:
2. Front tire wobble around 80 kms/hr. I complained the same to the dealer during first service but they could not resolve.They did alignment and did not find any issue.
I briefly had this issue after a very bad road ride where I hit a lot of potholes. But after a wheel alignment, the issue seems to have gone away.

Modifications:
Quote:
1. I ordered the 2 inch handlebar riser and hand guards, seller yet to ship. Hopefully it will make my ride much more comfortable.
2. I even ordered an analog handlebar clock from aliexpress. RE could have provided a clock, the only thing I miss in this bike.
4. Currently I have no plans to install wind shield.
6. Before purchasing the sump guard, I thought I could ask the experts here. I'm not too worried about mud splash but I'm more worried about the stones hitting oil filter. I am thinking to fabricate a small mesh and attach it to the crash guards. I believe with the original RE sump guards, we have to remove the silencer every time we replace the oil. I did not like the looks of Zana sump guard but I'm looking towards easier oil replacement. Can anyone confirm whether Zana or RE orignial sump guard is better ?
1. Handlebar raisers, yes. Even I find them necessary. I'm getting a 1" raiser fit.
2. Can you share the link for it? I've also been meaning to order one.
4. I did install a windscreen, but it mostly serves no purpose except to look pretty
6. I have the RE sump guard, and based on the fitting points I do not believe that it would necessitate removal of the exhausts. So far it has proved useful. And quality wise too, it's a pretty decent piece of metal. For me it's that perfect mid point between form and function. It does its job, and looks pretty.

Above all, congratulations! I too have a baker express. Not a lot of those going around

Mod Note: Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

Last edited by vb-saan : 9th December 2019 at 12:53. Reason: Please see the Mod Note above, Thank you.
Old 9th December 2019, 16:08   #1520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
6. I have the RE sump guard, and based on the fitting points I do not believe that it would necessitate removal of the exhausts.
Removal of exhaust is not required at all, the front screws of the sump have to be removed completely and the rear ones are to be loosened up, the sump moves down from the front because of this. This gives access to the oil filter and it can removed easily.
Old 9th December 2019, 16:10   #1521
BHPian

I have a Karizma ZMR (the Hero Honda version) and it's been almost 10yrs since am riding it. There has been no issue with the bike and everything is going well. However, my encounter with the Interceptor has changed everything. There's a showroom near my office and we happened to take a casual TD. It just blew me away as this happened to be a bike totally different from all the other REs. This bike has a similar stance as the Karizma and riding it felt right at home!

While the TD happened almost 10 months back, I have now decided to buy the Interceptor in Ravishing Red. However, since BS6 is right round the corner, I wanted suggestions on whether it would be wise to wait, what would be the new tentative price and importantly, would it come with a facelift (colour schemes, new accessories, seat designs, etc). Not in a hurry to bring the beast home so I can wait till BS6 kicks in if that is what most members suggest, although i'll have to deal with all the anxiety of waiting!

Looking forward to the inputs. Also, it would help if members could direct me to a good dealership (or better still, which ones to avoid!) in Bangalore. Currently interacting with RE showroom near Yelahanka (airport road).

Last edited by abhi7013 : 9th December 2019 at 16:13.
Old 9th December 2019, 16:43   #1522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
However, since BS6 is right round the corner, I wanted suggestions on whether it would be wise to wait, what would be the new tentative price and importantly, would it come with a facelift (colour schemes, new accessories, seat designs, etc). Not in a hurry to bring the beast home so I can wait till BS6 kicks in if that is what most members suggest, although i'll have to deal with all the anxiety of waiting!road).
Well as you are in no hurry to get the bike i think you should wait, no one knows what might be added or changed in the bike but there's always a chance of something getting added instead of something getting removed, so wait it out.
Old 9th December 2019, 16:49   #1523
BHPian

Quote:
I have a Karizma ZMR (the Hero Honda version) and it's been almost 10yrs since am riding it. There has been no issue with the bike and everything is going well. However, my encounter with the Interceptor has changed everything. There's a showroom near my office and we .......

Looking forward to the inputs. Also, it would help if members could direct me to a good dealership (or better still, which ones to avoid!) in Bangalore. Currently interacting with RE showroom near Yelahanka (airport road).
Hello Abhi,

I had the same dilemma as to if I should wait for the bs6 version but new emission norms means less power, low exhaust sound and pricier too. And who knows what the waiting period could be like!

I went ahead and got one last week and I'm loving every minute of it.

If you want, I can provide you the contact number of the store manager of HSR services, Lalbagh Road. The service there was really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
I dont have any such problem nor read it anywhere. Better get it checked up.

I hardly feel the heat on my Interceptor. As a matter of fact, the bike heats up less than my first gen Duke 390.
Which bike are you coming from? It might just be the case of getting used to the heat.

Completely agree!
Will get it checked if problem persists.

Previously I was riding a Classic 350, i think I'll have to get used to the heating then

Any recommendations for handlebar raisers (need it to be pulled slightly towards me as well) and a quality backrest? I'm not a fan of it, personally think that it wouldn't look good on Interceptor but may need it for wife's comfort.

MOD NOTE :- Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 9th December 2019 at 17:48. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 9th December 2019, 17:34   #1524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
Well recently the engine casing of my GT was loosing its shine and i was tired of rubbing my hands off with the autosol polish. So finally after a bit of searching offline i was able to find the felt buffing pad for my angle grinder and the job was done in 10 minutes.
But isn't it risky as this would remove a tiny layer of the engine cover when used each time and accidentally applying too much pressure at a particular spot might result in permanent damage too, right?
Old 9th December 2019, 18:37   #1525
BHPian

Quote:
While the TD happened almost 10 months back, I have now decided to buy the Interceptor in Ravishing Red. However, since BS6 is right round the corner, I wanted suggestions on whether it would be wise to wait, what would be the new tentative price and importantly, would it come with a facelift (colour schemes, new accessories, seat designs, etc). Not in a hurry to bring the beast home so I can wait till BS6 kicks in if that is what most members suggest, although i'll have to deal with all the anxiety of waiting!
I am facing the same dilemma! Having done a test ride last week, the guy from the dealership told me that the expected price hike would be somewhere north of Rs 50k! Also, I was expecting some sort of stock clearance offers around Mar'20 but was told that RE does not offer any discounts on the Interceptor. I had the feeling that the dealership will probably order a stock vehicle once they receive an order (owing to low numbers), expected waiting period of 15-20 days (depending on colour option). Will definitely go for the BS IV version, just waiting till Dec'19 for any movement/offers.
Old 9th December 2019, 19:24   #1526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I suspect the reason that the Royal Enfield mechanics were unable to diagnose this could be due to missing infrastructure. In Cochin, the biggest RE service center is run by the company itself at Edapally and very surprisingly they dont have a basic air pressure gauge to check and correct tire pressures. This was confirmed to me by one of the service advisors last year.
WOW, even you have an Inteceptor. You might be right, here they dont even have the OEM sump guards in stock.

Quote:
1. Handlebar raisers, yes. Even I find them necessary. I'm getting a 1" raiser fit.
2. Can you share the link for it? I've also been meaning to order one.
4. I did install a windscreen, but it mostly serves no purpose except to look pretty
6. I have the RE sump guard, and based on the fitting points I do not believe that it would necessitate removal of the exhausts. So far it has proved useful. And quality wise too, it's a pretty decent piece of metal. For me it's that perfect mid point between form and function. It does its job, and looks pretty.

I think 1 inch raisers wont be of much impact. I just placed the order, they were slow in shipping. Let me try it out first, most probably I should receive it by Thursday. link @ https://www.hdtcustoms.com. Tell them you need version 2 of the handlebar risers.

This one looks the best but its too expensive for a riser. https://indimotard.com/product/royal...dlebar-risers/

I felt the windscreen takes away the "RX100" look. I dont plan to ride at high speeds, this bike is frankly not meant for that. The DNA belongs to the cruisers, just enjoy the ride. Even If I plan to keep during my long drives, I might go for Himalayan type. Fixwell motors from Bangalore have the mounts that will fit on interceptor.
rahulskumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 21:10   #1527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
But isn't it risky as this would remove a tiny layer of the engine cover when used each time and accidentally applying too much pressure at a particular spot might result in permanent damage too, right?
Man that casing is like 15 mm thick, half of the weight of the bike lies in the engine (haathi mat paalo)
So don't worry nothing's gonna wear off, it's not like you do the polishing everyday, i did this in 5 months. So don't worry, go with it and and see your engine shining.
P. S. Only meant for engine and chrome bits, not for paint surfaces at all
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 07:29   #1528
BHPian

Has anyone tried the Greasehouse Growler exhaust on their Interceptor?
Youtube shows the firing to be very nice. But these guys dont answer phone calls or reply to emails.
They have a shopping site, but I would like to talk to them once before placing an order.

Regards,
Kaustubh
Old 10th December 2019, 19:56   #1529
BHPian

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20191210_173248.jpg
Installed the BikerBillet handlebar raiser. Must say, it has certainly helped posture.

While I was getting it installed, I was talking to the guy there: niktuned AKA Nikhil. He said that he could source custom springs, and higher grade suspension fluid to make the front suspension a notch stiffer.

I am strongly tempted by this approach. I definitely feel the need to have a stiffer front suspension. In it's stock setting, it has way too short of a travel, and is soft. So it Will bottom out.

Plus replacing the spring and oils mean the service center folks would likely not detect this modification, meaning lower risk of ruining warranty.
ashishk29 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 10:52   #1530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1944649
Installed the BikerBillet handlebar raiser. Must say, it has certainly helped posture.

While I was getting it installed, I was talking to the guy there: niktuned AKA Nikhil. He said that he could source custom springs, and higher grade suspension fluid to make the front suspension a notch stiffer.

I am strongly tempted by this approach. I definitely feel the need to have a stiffer front suspension. In it's stock setting, it has way too short of a travel, and is soft. So it Will bottom out.

Plus replacing the spring and oils mean the service center folks would likely not detect this modification, meaning lower risk of ruining warranty.
TEC Bike Parts will eventually bring in an emulator plus progressive springs, which will boost travel to about 130-140 mm. They already have one for the Triumph Twins.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks