Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2021, 18:14   #766
BHPian

Re: The Honda H'ness CB350, priced at Rs. 1.90 lakh (page 6)

In such a case, its a huge bummer that Honda hasn't offered any storage space whatsoever, not even for the essentials: cloth, bungee cord, manual. A seething negative point for the Honda CB350. I consider these to be an absolute essential, especially for a bike that calls itself a City Bike (CB stands for City bike).

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.G View Post
Sorry for going OT , but what made you switch to CB350 ? .
To begin with, I don't think my head was in the right place

But ah, it was more of a head over heart decision. The 390 Adv was my first bike. I've always been a car person, and I didn't realise that the KTM would make me transition into a person who uses the bike to commute everyday to work. For that purpose specifically, I felt the KTM wasn't perfect. It is still a great bike. Every bit of it. I ABSOLUTELY LOVED riding it. It just wasn't the best machine to ride in b2b traffic. High seat height meant less control when traversing the gullys and streets. Jerky low end was, well, jerky and insanely non-intuitive. I by no means work in a swanky office centre with proper parking. I'm an entrepreneur who has to take multiple trips during the day, to all kinds of places within the city. So at most parking lots I had to deal with kids fiddling around. No centre stand means even walking cows and labour workers would drop my bike while parked. Plus, a CB350 over a KTM as a daily driver means saving thousands on fuel in the long term (I calculated: atleast 30-40k per year). Money that can be used to fund my future bike.

I think I should have just kept the KTM, and bought the CB350 additionally as a daily driver. But then it would bother me that both my bikes are 350cc singles. So the thinking behind my selling was, practicality, and replacing the KTM in the future with a much more powerful bike, possibly something between 600-900cc and a twin cylinder.
nutcracker is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 01:25   #767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
For 1000 Kms, the ride will be on a slightly bumpy side. Then on its great
Please elaborate on the above point Sebring. Do you mean the suspension takes around a 1000 kms to bed in and then becomes comfortable. I read about some owners talking about softening the rear suspension during the first service because it was hard/harsh.

Thank you.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 07:28   #768
Senior - BHPian

That's right. There are few hard wearing/long life parts and they need time to bed in. Don't soften the suspension because I did, and then went back to original setting. That's best
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Do you mean the suspension takes around a 1000 kms to bed in and then becomes comfortable. I read about some owners talking about softening the rear suspension during the first service because it was hard/harsh.
Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 10:42   #769
Distinguished - BHPian

Recently, our motorcycle enthusiasts group that is based out of Cochin was discussing how the CB350 test ride bike at the Big Wing Honda dealership here, is very vibey (compared to actual bikes that some in the group own) and how test riding that showroom bike doesnt give a fair picture of the actual product. I didnt notice much wrong with the suspension (test bike had done a few thousand kilometers by then), in fact I thought it was well set up for urban conditions.

But Im curious about the different feedback on the same aspect from the last few days. I know suspension comfort is relative and depends on several factors, including rider weight, but Im hoping other owners can shed some more light on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
Another observation. One of my work places is located in Old Delhi where the roads are terrible. I felt the CB350 handled those roads much better, and offered an overall smoother experience than the KTM 390 Adv.
Quote:
The only way is to lug a back-pack (Like I do), or have a pannier case. I thought the 390Adv will eat bad roads for breakfast, but your post is a revelation (Particularly when you bring a new suspension spring into the equation). For 1000 Kms, the ride will be on a slightly bumpy side. Then on its great
Quote:
Please elaborate on the above point Sebring. Do you mean the suspension takes around a 1000 kms to bed in and then becomes comfortable. I read about some owners talking about softening the rear suspension during the first service because it was hard/harsh.
Quote:
That's right. There are few hard wearing/long life parts and they need time to bed in. Don't soften the suspension because I did, and then went back to original setting. That's best
I havent heard of many modern motorcycle suspensions needing to break in / bed in for such a long duration, in this case 1000 kms. Have owners tried experimenting with different tire pressures to combat the harsh ride (initially)?
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 12:51   #770
Senior - BHPian

If you recall, I had first raised this aspect of the suspension. And upon my insistence, BigWing wrote to Honda. Honda has replied that the springs are hard wearing and are set for life. Please be patient initially. This has been proven true in all bike on the Whatsapp group (140 bikes). Ditto, the chain, which will last a really long time (I was told). "Give it a 1000 Kms, or two, to bed in" - was their request
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I havent heard of many modern motorcycle suspensions needing to break in / bed in for such a long duration, in this case 1000 kms. Have owners tried experimenting with different tire pressures to combat the harsh ride (initially)?
Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 13:44   #771
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agree with you Neil. Understand about the tyres, brakes, engine smoothness among other things but never really the suspension. Especially for around a 1000 kms.

Quote:
If you recall, I had first raised this aspect of the suspension. And upon my insistence, BigWing wrote to Honda. Honda has replied that the springs are hard wearing and are set for life. Please be patient initially. This has been proven true in all bike on the Whatsapp group (140 bikes). Ditto, the chain, which will last a really long time (I was told). "Give it a 1000 Kms, or two, to bed in" - was their request
Thanks for clarifying Sebring. However the “springs are hard wearing and set for life” seems a gross overstatement to me. Perhaps some sort of a kms/life of the suspension would have been a better yardstick.

Having said that, since 140 odd people have confirmed that it seems to the case does prove their point I guess, even though it sounds strange.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 13:48   #772
Senior - BHPian

I asked the SA the same question, and he dropped some figure like "over a lakh kilometers", but that's just him saying it. Hasn't come from Honda
Quote:
Perhaps some sort of a kms/life of the suspension would have been a better yardstick.
Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 18:28   #773
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for clarifying Sebring, this is quite peculiar and I cannot recall a single Indian automobile launch where this engineering philosophy has been followed. I wonder what Honda's research would have showed them, for the company to depart from the norm and do the opposite of what we would have all expected. Im sure they uncovered a crucial little nugget in all their market research and used that as part of their design philosophy but I cannot think of a logical reason.

Do the Royal Enfield Bullet & Classic 350 have suspension setups that wear out quickly with expensive replacements? Is this how Honda figures they can beat running costs as compared to the RE 350s in the long run? From what I hear, the RE 350s have comfortable suspension setups (though they may not be sporty), so this decision by Honda seems to be quite a googly for me. Maybe more seasoned vets can shed some light on this.

Meanwhile, I will ask a couple of CB350 owners from the local circles regarding this and see if they know anything or have heard similarly from Honda.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 18:51   #774
BHPian

Meanwhile, Honda has increased the prices of CB 350. Rs. 1500 for Dlx and Rs. 2500 for Dlx Pro.

https://www.rushlane.com/honda-price...-12389034.html
NH08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 18:56   #775
Senior - BHPian

RE doesn't mention when their parts are up for replacement, (as per my friend). It would be useful if someone/mechanic can tell us at what KMS the chain might need replacement (or the suspension springs)? Honda claims even the airfilter is long lasting/zero maintenance
Quote:
I wonder what Honda's research would have showed them, for the company to depart from the norm and do the opposite of what we would have all expected. Im sure they uncovered a crucial little nugget in all their market research and used that as part of their design philosophy but I cannot think of a logical reason. Do the Royal Enfield Bullet & Classic 350 have suspension setups that wear out quickly with expensive replacements?
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 19:03   #776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Honda claims even the airfilter is long lasting/zero maintenance
This is true at least for unicorn.

My unicorn was serviced in Dealership till almost 40k kms and never did they change the air filter. They used to clean and put the same filter.

After around 50k kms,(every 2.5k kms, i used to get it serviced) I serviced it in local mechanic shop and he asked me to change the air filter.
gkveda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 13:27   #777
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
RE doesn't mention when their parts are up for replacement, (as per my friend). It would be useful if someone/mechanic can tell us at what KMS the chain might need replacement (or the suspension springs)? Honda claims even the airfilter is long lasting/zero maintenance
I havent looked at all the owner manuals for RE bikes but with the 650 twins and my GT 535, RE does say when parts are to be replaced.

Name:  12.PNG
Views: 2246
Size:  51.5 KB

If you meant specific to only the rear suspension and chain, these are wear and tear items and need to be replaced based on usage. Normally, around 18-20K kms is the expected life of a chain for regular bikes, anything between 20 - 25K kms is considered good and if you can get more than that, then its great. Rear suspension is not something that is often replaced, unless there are problematic parts like with the Paiolis on the GT535 which is known to give out after around 20k kms.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 19:44   #778
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
Slightly OT. I had suffered similar oil leakage problem in my less than 400 km run Honda CB 350 and had to tow it. After reaching service centre, found that I'm not the first one to face the issue. Though they sorted out the issue, I'm hearing that many owners are facing this problem.
Not exactly sure why the so called Honda quality do not apply to this and why they are not issuing a recall when they know the problem.
Girishv, I saw this post in the Kia Seltos issues thread and Im quoting it here to help other owners and potential owners on this, since this seems to be a big red flag for those expecting Honda quality. If this was posted earlier on this thread, I missed it, so apologies for that.

Was the Honda SVC able to provide a reason for this oil leak? From what you posted, this looks to be some production line quality issue. Is the fix being provided by the SVC a long term solution?

Also are the newer batches of bikes also facing the same problem?

Last edited by neil.jericho : 10th January 2021 at 19:45.
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 07:53   #779
BHPian

Quote:
Was the Honda SVC able to provide a reason for this oil leak? From what you posted, this looks to be some production line quality issue. Is the fix being provided by the SVC a long term solution?

Also are the newer batches of bikes also facing the same problem?
Yes, the service centre could identify and rectify the problem. I'm not sure about this oil leaking problem in the latest batches.

Last edited by girishv : 11th January 2021 at 07:55.
girishv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 11:03   #780
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
Yes, the service centre could identify and rectify the problem. I'm not sure about this oil leaking problem in the latest batches.
That is great to hear. Do you have any pictures of the oil leak? Can you please upload them here so that other Honda owners will know what tell tale signs to look out for.

I assume that Honda replaced the oil for free.

Would you or Sebring know approximately how many owners in the Bangalore owners group have faced this problem? Hopefully it is not a widespread issue.

On a lighter note, this experience gives new meaning to the phrase - Honda built a Royal Enfield competitor!
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks