Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2021, 13:30   #631
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ola's made-in-India Electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 99,999

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaikalra01 View Post
Estimated delivery dates are getting preponed.
https://mobile.twitter.com/shivanshk...94449906241543
This is great news although I also wonder whether this means that their conversion rate is falling below what they projected, which is causing some advancing of deliveries to the confirmed buyers.

Alternately its possible they gave conservative initial delivery timelines consciously knowing that its better to over deliver on the promise than delay. Which is smart marketing in my opinion

Under promise and over deliver!
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 03:40   #632
Team-BHP Support

It seems like none of even the main stream journos have even received their bikes for the usual first ride reviews. At the time of the “First Look” - the lookie no touchie event - it was indicated by PD and some others that they expect to come up with their first ride reports in mid September. Clearly Ola hasn’t stuck to this schedule and for a company that is already receiving bookings and poised to start deliveries from early next week, I find this extremely surprising.

Either they are badly disorganised at the back end, or for some reason they do not want to expose their product to a detailed review at this point in time - whether due to dealing with QC issues or otherwise. Neither of the above prospects is confidence inspiring.

I was really excited about the prospect of this bike but clearly I’m going to steer clear of being an early adopter anywhere in this space. Best to watch how the maxi scooter / electric scooter space develops over the next 12 - 24 months; what early user experiences are; and then figure who deserves your hard earned money.
Axe77 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 12:19   #633
BHPian

There should be some automotive laws ( transportation related) that safeguards the interest of the public. In this case Ola has collected 100s of crores of rupees for a product that has not been tested or something that has been used.

One can argue that that there are many such products that are there in the market like electronics goods or new car or bike or the likes, this is slightly different. When someone is raising so much of public money and when it relates to transportation, there should be sme rules on how much pre bookings one can collect and to what level the product is market ready( safety and some basic reliability checks).

Ola might have bought a ready to serve Etergo which really struggled with investment as there were strict laws in Europe on how much funding it can take. Am sure the Transportation laws would have been more stringent as well for a product to be launched for the masses.

Ola as a company is treating the product like some electronic gadget. Have not seen any interview wherein the Ola folks are talking about testing the product for the indian conditions and what they did. The suspension approach is innovative ( rear horizontal to liberate storage space and front single telescopic) and not sure how they would fare in the indian conditions. The battery heat dissipation in the indian conditions also is a concern.

Haven't seen them speak about when the production would start and how many are already produced . If produced where have they been produced. This from a company who is not into manufacturing two wheelers raises a lot of doubts.

The flash sale of scooters to get earlier deliveries, flash sale to enable people for factory visits, 10s of thousands of jobs earmarked only for women (I feel its headlines grabbing than anything else. Discriminatory if at all anything. They could have just advertised that they would employ the maximum women force and have a plan towards increasing from 25 to 75% over a time period).

Wish they were more forthcoming on many fronts. I still do believe having seen how the Etergo scooter was researched and designed by a bunch of passionate engineers, Ola takes it forward with the same level of engineering while not considering the Tanpuria , Tabla music sounds for horns , reverse gears, Cruise control and other gimmicky features as engineering feats.

It sounds like a frustrated Anti OlaPost but I want the product to succeed as I am one of the early Guniea Pigs who is banking on it.

Last edited by muni : 24th September 2021 at 12:32.
muni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 12:26   #634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
It sounds like a frustrated Anti Post but I want the product to succeed as I am one of the early Guniea Pigs who is banking on it.
All those who have booked have similar concerns. The test drives will start on 25th Oct as informed by Ola.

If there is a delay or any other problem in even offering the TD, then we know for sure our concerns are real. All we can do now is wait. If things don't live up to the expectation, cancel the booking and find a substitute.

Most people who booked have done so as the current products don't meet their requirements. Ola has promised a lot, up to Ola to live up to the hype.
Mafia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 12:47   #635
Distinguished - BHPian

In my humble opinion, pre-booking a product like a e-scooter, more so from a new manufacturer in the area, is not a wise decision. We give a long yardstick and stay away from the first batches of vehicles from M&M and Tata. But we queue up and put our hard earned money on a e-scooter without even taking a TR. Let Ola release the vehicle, let the journos ride it. Let few hundred people use the vehicle in real world conditions. And finally take a TR and see if the product lives up to the promise it has set. See how they are handling the after sales and niggles. Then book it. What is the hurry to pre-book it and get frustrated when the manufacturer starts moving the goal posts? Ola knows how to create the hype and hoopla to make interested customers cough up the money. We as customers should be more cautions than a kid in a candy store. Aftercall, this is pre-booking a scooter which will be used for many years and not pre-booking a Harry Potter book which will be read once or maybe twice.
sagarpadaki is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 14:01   #636
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
There should be some automotive laws ( transportation related) that safeguards the interest of the public. In this case Ola has collected 100s of crores of rupees for a product that has not been tested or something that has been used.
While I agree with your broader sentiment and the whole approach is irritating me as well, I just want to clarify one specific aspect. Technically, they are not selling a product that has not been tested. I am sure it has gone through all legal requirements of homologation etc and is only being sold on the basis of meeting those requirements. That goes without saying because without that they cannot even register a vehicle.

Secondly, I am sure they would have subjected it to usage based internal testing as well. I don’t really doubt that.

You cannot impose a legal obligation to make it available to auto journalists, which is the missing link at this stage with this launch.

Practically speaking that does make me a bit uncomfortable.
Old 24th September 2021, 15:02   #637
BANNED

I don't think OLA management would be callous enough to sell an untested product. There is ~500 million dollars worth of investment riding on this and the investors must be keeping an eye on the management.

Sure, things are being rushed but I don't think they will be launching an untested product. If the OLA scooter doesn't deliver on the promised specs -- that's half a billion dollars down the drain. Neither the investors, nor OLA management is that stupid.

Another factor to consider would be that OLA plans to produce almost 2 million vehicles in the first year. Given the chip shortage, it might be difficult to achieve that target but Bhavish says they will manage. Given the odds, if they achieve the 2 million target they will prove their competency beyond doubt.

OLA Scooter spied testing.
Interesting tit-bit from the above article:
Quote:
While the AppScooter was originally limited to just 45 km/h (28 mph) to conform with EU laws, a well-connected source within Ola has informed Electrek that the Ola scooter will be capable of reaching 100 km/h (62 mph). The same source also indicated that the Ola scooter will feature a range of 100 km (62 mi) on a single charge.
Seems OLA has beefed up the drive-train of the original Etergo. Stronger motor, BMS and larger battery pack.

On another note...
I hope OLA or someone else targets the electric motorcycle market next. Love these ones from Zero motorcycles. Very conventional looking but with all the torque and power of an electric drive-train. Imagine the stunts you can pull on these babies.

Ola's made-in-India Electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 99,999-zero-dsr.png

Ola's made-in-India Electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 99,999-zero-fxe.jpg

Ola's made-in-India Electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 99,999-zero-srf.png

Ola's made-in-India Electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 99,999-zero-srs.png
Electromotive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 15:58   #638
BHPian

This confirms that Ola S1 & S1 Pro will not follow the Subscription Model followed by Ather.

This was posted in Ather forum by a user, reposting the same here.

This seems to be good news for those who were worried about the subscription charges that Ola might charge for the Smart Features that they were providing.
Attached Images

appu.bhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 16:01   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appu.bhandari View Post
This confirms that Ola S1 & S1 Pro will not follow the Subscription Model followed by Ather.

This was posted in Ather forum by a user, reposting the same here.

This seems to be good news for those who were worried about the subscription charges that Ola might charge for the Smart Features that they were providing.
So this means that if you don't buy the Performance Upgrade, you won't get hyper mode, cruise control etc?
Old 24th September 2021, 16:11   #640
BHPian

Quote:
So this means that if you don't buy the Performance Upgrade, you won't get hyper mode, cruise control etc?
I am not sure about that. The main reason to post this was to confirm the No Subscription Model of Ola S1.

Also as mentioned earlier, Performance upgrade pack is a way to ensure that the scooter cost below 1.5 Lakhs and is eligible for Fame subsidy.
Old 24th September 2021, 16:22   #641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
What is the hurry to pre-book it and get frustrated when the manufacturer starts moving the goal posts?
In my, just mine, point of view...
1. Either buy the scooter at a price of 1.1L OTR (other states, not GJ, RJ, DL, MH etc) & recover the cost of spending on a petrol scooter in 9-10 months
2. OR, wait for the product to become stable & get a reliable scooter at higher cost

When I got my CBR 250R, I never test rode, just went & bought it in blind faith of Honda, 2 days later, the piston seized, HMSI replaced the entire engine under warranty, I was probably the one & only lab rat for them. But I got mine for 1.5L OTR which later became over 2L OTR.

The trade off being, lower cost available to the rabbits & the expensive one for all those seeking Estee Lauder!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Technically, they are not selling a product that has not been tested...without that they cannot even register a vehicle
Absolutely YES!! I'm wondering from day 1, why the word "ARAI" hasn't been used anywhere, while it's a slogan for Ather to claim their range

Quote:
As attached in the Ola Scooter Specifications.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by appu.bhandari View Post
I am not sure about that. The main reason to post this was to confirm the No Subscription Model of Ola S1
I wouldn't go a blind faith on it for now; here're some of the ways I interpret...
1. There's no subscription "for now", means we're still planning
2. There're no subscription "for performance upgrade"

Last edited by aargee : 24th September 2021 at 16:25.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 07:49   #642
Senior - BHPian

Message received from Ola advising their ''Next purchase window opening soon''.

Name:  OlaElectricPerformanceMailer01N.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  47.7 KB

Name:  OlaElectricPerformanceMailer03.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  86.3 KB
nairrk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 11:04   #643
BHPian

It looks like someone is able to get one of the test mules and ride. The test ride is done on some of the worst roads. He already owns an Ather.

Some of the observations:
  • The real-world range is ~150 km. So it must be S1 Pro variant.
  • Horn is loud.
  • The seat is wide and comfortable.
  • Slight delay in throttle response. Is it in normal mode or not?

Last edited by sri_tesla : 2nd October 2021 at 11:13.
Old 2nd October 2021, 12:13   #644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
It looks like someone is able to get one of the test mules and ride. The test ride is done on some of the worst roads. He already owns an Ather.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=SbIY2gdl4dc
This is the same guy who trespassed Ola's property and made a video against them asking viewers to cancel their bookings as Ola staff wasn't "polite". Now he is appreciating Ola and telling everyone to book one? Did not get it.
Old 2nd October 2021, 17:08   #645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is the same guy who trespassed Ola's property and made a video against them asking viewers to cancel their bookings as Ola staff wasn't "polite". Now he is appreciating Ola and telling everyone to book one? Did not get it.
Yes, the same guy, did you happen to check out his second video on Ola stating biggest problems in Ola scooter?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks