Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2023, 18:23   #1051
BHPian

Re: 2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashant_BHP View Post
Had a chance to take a longish test drive today of Himalayan 450 for 30 mins mainly on smooth tarmac (bike ODO was just 22 kms) . Couple of observations - a) foot pegs will brush your legs in start-stop traffic (will need getting used to), b) bike has significant vibrations beyond 80 kmph, c) gears are not tall enough - had to down shift more frequently. While a good adventure bike, after driving SM 650 for last 9+ months, did not connect with Himalayan. SM 650 is way smoother and inspires confidence at high speeds when compared to Himalayan 450. If you are willing to spend 3+ lakhs for primarily touring, do test drive an SM 650 before deciding. If your goal is off-roading, then do take a longish offroad test drive before you finalize.
I agree that it's very difficult to connect with the engine of Himalayan 450 because it's neither torquey nor mad for revv like KTMs, and that tbh puts it in a weird spot - the Triumph Speed/Scram 400 engines are something one can connect with better than Sherpa 450. Simply put, Sherpa 450 lacks a specific character (it's a simple, sober and not thrilling but neither boring engine).
This all being said, it's far better an option for Touring than SM650 in India. I have tried the SM650 because I was coming from Avenger 220 and SM650 was my first choice. However, the ergonomics of SM650 is very poor in practical life. (If only looks comfortable, but it really isn't).
The only good thing about that SM650 I felt was it's smooth-torquey FEEL good Engine and Stability on Triple Digit. But that's where I feel its practicality ends. Even slight off-road and the standard 6pm city traffic the SM650 is a pain to manuever around, sure Himalayan 450 is no Lord Splendor but it's far easier if you legs can reach the ground.
The only place SM650 can take Himalayan 450 down is Straight line Smooth Highways (and tbh, touring in India is a lot bigger than that).
I have been stuck in Manali traffic with SM650, and it'd take a full mountain (metaphor in comparison with Him 450) for the SM650 to make a u-turn.

Problem is that when you're coming from any of the RE bikes with it's 650 PT, it's very difficult to like Sherpa 450. I think this is what may have got you disappointed instead of handling or ergos. I had the same feeling but it was more of a desire to have 650 PT Block on Himalayan 450 chassis or a Scrambler based on 650cc that'd be a more of do it all motorbike (something a lot of us Indian crave for as a Unicorn bike).
But for now, that Unicorn doesn't really exist and TBH this is the closest to what we can get in Indian market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhansali_hardik View Post
Sounds exactly like my experience! Yeah, that engine is something and the sweet note from the twins is very addictive. Himalayan for sure is not polished when you compare that with the twins. It's rough and growls, but with my time with the 400 cc engines is the same experience all the time, they are rough at some point in the rev band, there is a considerable amount to vibrations/buzz and they do spit out heat. It's inevitable for the form and capacity.

SM650 is great of you use well laid out roads and travel from A to B, I cannot think of touring personally on it since half of the places where we go do not have tarmac.

Himalayan as an off-roader is not something I can pick, because of the weight and the mid surge in the power band. I don't have the skills to control the power band on a slope with leaves/loose gravel and with weight like that I don't know if I ever can.

However, the only perfect use case as per me for the new himmy is :
1) If you tour once in a while
2) If you have a pillion
3) If you want to carry luggage with pillion

These cases, is the most perfect fit according to me for himmy and rest of the specs/features are secondary. There is no other bike on the market at least in sub 5lakh category where you can plan on touring with a pillion and luggage comfortably. (KTM 390 ADV, the buzz and high revving nature wears out the pillion Sooner than you think)

I totally second your opinion. Just to add that while people are complaining about the Buzz and Vibration on Himalayan 450 - I simply want to ask them as to what is their expectation from a Large Single Cylinder from a Non-Japanese company (is it that you bought yourself into the paid media reviews ?). I can't recall of any 400cc Blocks on the Market that are free from Buzzing at certain spots in the revv-band. Also, some people are extrapolating the buzz likely because they had higher expectation or otherwise they got a Sort-of-Lemon during delivery or test-ride. (When I took the test ride, I insisted that SA that the bike's chain was lubricated and let the bike cool-down 15m from previous test ride). In engines like these, continous harsh ride can result in change of engine harshness drastically. The Sherpa 450 is no gem as such when you compare with any twins but when you look at all the singles in the segment, I think it's probably the only one of it's type (please correct me if there are any other singles in India that are nearly square with such practical power delivery across the band suited for India).

Last edited by rishi.roger : 28th December 2023 at 18:51.
rishi.roger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 18:53   #1052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi.roger View Post
Problem is that when you're coming from any of the RE bikes with it's 650 PT, it's very difficult to like Sherpa 450. I think this is what may have got you disappointed instead of handling or ergos. I had the same feeling but it was more of a desire to have 650 PT Block on Himalayan 450 chassis or a Scrambler based on 650cc that'd be a more of do it all motorbike (something a lot of us Indian crave for as a Unicorn bike).
But for now, that Unicorn doesn't really exist and TBH this is the closest to what we can get in Indian market.
I too was in love with the SM650 and was about to book it when I rode a Himalayan 411 (2021). I found it to be a go anywhere and do anything bike, much more versatile than the SM650, though a bit under powered. But with the new 450, the engine is better and it looks amazing in Black. Going to test ride it on Sat and finalize
Old 28th December 2023, 19:05   #1053
Distinguished - BHPian

Have had the Himalayan 411 for 2 years and is used mostly for long distance touring and now bought the Himalayan 450 also for touring. Riding both of them for few days now and here are my very initial observations of the 450 as compared to my 411:

Till about 60-70 kmph speeds and in 4th gear and low gears/low speeds/low rpms, the riding experience of the 411 is much better than the 450 and I will take the 411 over the 450, 10 out of 10 times.
The tractability of the 411 is much better and in the 450 needs the gears to be worked (a lot).
At low speeds, in 411, I can be in wrong gear/rpm combo, yet the 411 will not break sweat. In 450, it will just not tolerate the same and the 450 will let you know that it is just not comfortable in such situations. So, in such scenario, the gears need to be worked a bit more in 450.

Somehow the sound of the 411 seems better to me than the 450 till about 80-90. (Not going about 90/100 in 450 as yet, so can't comment above that). The 411 has some character that the 450 seems to miss. It's not bad in 450, but the character seems missing for me.

The 450 has some constant "electric whining" noise (for lack of better term) and there are 2 distinct sounds that one hears. One is the exhaust/engine, and the other is that "electric sound" coming continuously. It's kind of irritating and takes away some part of the riding fun.
The "vibration/buzz" is there, in the 450, at certain combination of rpm/speed/gear (yet to fully isolate the same) and my 411 is better in this aspect (at least till 80 speed/5th gear).

BTW, the lean of the side stand is something that is always at the back of the mind. Rest of the ergonomics/weight etc. is not an issue at all for me.

450 has far more comfortable seat, area on seat to move around, mind blowing suspension & brakes compared to 411. The "features" on the 450 are obviously better than the 411. The 450, when on the move feels a lot "easier" than the 411.

Summary: The 411 and the 450 are two totally different machines and while enjoying the 450, I can't resist the fun of the 411 also. Had planned to let go of the 411 sometime after the 450 but the 411 is staying for sure! No way letting it go as of now.
khan_sultan is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 19:16   #1054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_heart View Post
Yes, tried that too. Seems some permission missing or some other app is conflicting.
I checked with the company dealership for this issue. They are suspecting that since my Pixel 6 has Android version 14, there could be some compatibility issues with the RE App. All other Android phones which I tried had 13. I have posted a review in the Play Store and also requested the dealership to lodge a formal complaint with their Apps technical team.
Old 28th December 2023, 19:17   #1055
Senior - BHPian

Guys, my Himi has arrived! Here's a preview.
So excited to land this 'Bike Of The Year'!
Attached Thumbnails
2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-img_2202.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 20:16   #1056
BHPian

Glad to see RE service centres are being pro active with a new product when it comes to ASS. It’s an integral part of ownership experience especially for those who ride a lot. This is shaping out to be a good motorcyle overall. I hope RE keeps up with the times and launches more new products/platforms. This is one RE I genuinely admire other than the 650 twins.
Himanshu809 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 20:44   #1057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Guys, my Himi has arrived! Here's a preview.
So excited to land this 'Bike Of The Year'!
Congratulations on your new acquisition. Wishing you lots of happy and adventurous miles on the Himi

With me currently owning the CB350RS, similar to your CB, looking forward to your impressions with the Himalayan on the highway at speeds between 100-120 kph once you complete the run-in period. Since we both own the CB, I usually tend to relate to your impressions a lot

I did a city test ride last week and posted about the same in the thread, yet to take a highway test ride. Coming from a Honda, the vibes felt quite significant, but I am giving the benefit of the doubt to it being a test ride bike. I will also try to take a long test ride on the highway sometime next week. But keep your impressions coming.

Last edited by klgiridhar : 28th December 2023 at 20:50.
Old 28th December 2023, 22:59   #1058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
FWIW, my benchmark for vibrations is SM 650. I do not feel any till 120 kmph on SM 650 (did not ride it beyond that speed till date).
You did pay a lakh or so extra for SM650 correct? You should probably ask for more out of SM650 then.

I couldn't stand a TD of more than 15mins on SM650, which gave a nasty under thigh pain due to the foot position on it. Probably it is just me.

Whereas Himalayan didn't have any such sort of issues, was wanting to ride more had I got a chance.
Old 29th December 2023, 00:38   #1059

Quote:
Had a chance to take a longish test drive today of Himalayan 450 for 30 mins mainly on smooth tarmac (bike ODO was just 22 kms) . Couple of observations - a) foot pegs will brush your legs in start-stop traffic (will need getting used to), b) bike has significant vibrations beyond 80 kmph, c) gears are not tall enough - had to down shift more frequently. While a good adventure bike, after driving SM 650 for last 9+ months, did not connect with Himalayan. SM 650 is way smoother and inspires confidence at high speeds when compared to Himalayan 450. If you are willing to spend 3+ lakhs for primarily touring, do test drive an SM 650 before deciding. If your goal is off-roading, then do take a longish offroad test drive before you finalize.
Himalayalan 450 can't never match the smoothness of a 650 from a technical point of view because it's a single cylinder with 452 CC whereas the 650 is a 647.95 CC twin cylinder engine. Twin cylinders, especially which has 270 degree firing order has a distinct feel to it and is a lot smoother than even other twin cylinders.
LiamJose is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 08:14   #1060
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for the kind words, and let me tell you, the HONDAs are different. There's just something about those bikes that sets it apart in terms of refinement, and I won't even bother bringing in any comparisons – it's in a league of its own.

Now, let's talk about THE HIMALAYAN – a bit vibey at varying speeds, but hey, it's part of the engine's character, I feel. But here's the kicker – the bike brings incredible value to the table at this price point. (I mean, come on, those SHOWA shock absorbers alone are worth close to a lakh). Decimates everything on the road.

And that dynamic meter console everyone's raving about? It's not just hype; it's just brilliant (A delight to use, besides being so crisp and bright). I've enhanced the riding by adding Handlebar Risers and a GPS mount (will cradle a CARPURIDE wireless apple car play unit I got from the US).

That beautifully sculpted tank is like a work of art, reminiscent of the BMW 850 GS. The compact silencer design is awe inspiring – so sleek and stylish. The gorgeous and lightweight aluminium alloy golden rims (Who gives you that, at this price!). There is a LOT going for the NEW HIMALAYAN.

I could go on and on about the features. If time permits, I promise to drop a comprehensive review soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by klgiridhar View Post
Congratulations. looking forward to your impressions with the Himalayan on the highway at speeds between 100-120 kph once you complete the run-in period. I usually tend to relate to your impressions a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-himi.png  

Last edited by Sebring : 29th December 2023 at 08:18.
Sebring is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 09:25   #1061
BHPian

Dear BHPians, I got a call from Kwality RE that my bike has arrived day before yesterday. I was out of town and asked them to allot the same to my friend who had booked a week after me. They did it promptly. He will be taking delivery in the first week of January. Am happy that I get to ride his bike whenever I want
On a different note, I have picked up a pre-worshipped Versys 650 from a fellow Tbhp member. I know there is no comparison between H450 and Versys. I really loved H450 but the dealership could not assure me of a specific timeline for delivery and I had few upcoming rides planned, was without a bike for over a month. So as a logical upgrade from my R3, I zeroed in on the Versys 650. Hope it serves me well. I will be letting go of my H450 booking. And to all the new owners who have got their Himmy delivered and those who are waiting for delivery, I wish you many miles of blissful riding on the mighty H450, the mountain goat!
Legal_Eagle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 10:34   #1062
BHPian

Quote:
I've enhanced the riding by adding Handlebar Risers
Thanks Sebring, looking forward for your review!
Please share link/contact of the handlebar riser. I am urgently looking for it.

I came across whole range of accessories, including handlebar riser for H450 (costing Rs.1899) on Mototorque.in website. However, I am very cautious about such a crucial part as the riser.

Everyone, please share your feedback about Moto torque products.
rich_heart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 11:37   #1063
Senior - BHPian

Everything about a motorcycle is RELATIVE.

Some may find a motorcycle smooth as butter, some others may find the very same motorcycle harsh as hell and full of vibrations. Its all in RELATION to our experiences with other motorcycles, what we currently own and ride.
Someone used to riding a CB350/interceptor/SM650 etc may find the Himalayan 450 vibey, whereas someone riding older Enfields / bullets may find the same smooth. So its best to judge a motorcycle by our personal yard-sticks and not basis someone else.

In general, a relatively big single cylinder engine will have vibrations. Be it a KTM 390s, BMW 310s, etc, and especially when we consider higher revving engine design. Long stroke singles, maxing out under 5K rpm, will have different natures of vibes, but it will be there.

Its unfair to compare a single cylinder engine with multi cylinder one as the later, by nature, will be much smoother.

Coming back to Himalayan 450, its a good balance, a bike which can do it all, RELATIVELY well. City commute, daily office rides, highway rides, bad broken roads, trails, technical trails, ghats. In relatively comfortable ergonomics, essential safety features, modestly priced, with easy access to service networks. A one bike garage. Of course there is no one perfect bike for all courses, but this one comes pretty close.

It may not make a great sense for someone already owning a relatively bigger bike like 390 Adv, 650 twins, 310 GS, Dominar, triumph 400, Harley 440, or even bikes like previous gen Himalayan, CB350, and the likes,but for the rest who are in market for a versatile bike, the Himalayan 450 makes for a strong contention. And ofcourse a very strong case, in case someone is genuinely interested in getting into trails and off-roading.
nasirkaka is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 11:59   #1064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Everything about a motorcycle is RELATIVE.

Some may find a motorcycle smooth as butter, some others may find the very same motorcycle harsh as hell and full of vibrations. Its all in RELATION to our experiences with other motorcycles, what we currently own and ride.
Someone used to riding a CB350/interceptor/SM650 etc may find the Himalayan 450 vibey, whereas someone riding older Enfields / bullets may find the same smooth. So its best to judge a motorcycle by our personal yard-sticks and not basis someone else.

Coming back to Himalayan 450, its a good balance, a bike which can do it all, RELATIVELY well. City commute, daily office rides, highway rides, bad broken roads, trails, technical trails, ghats. In relatively comfortable ergonomics, essential safety features, modestly priced, with easy access to service networks. A one bike garage. Of course there is no one perfect bike for all courses, but this one comes pretty close.

It may not make a great sense for someone already owning a relatively bigger bike like 390 Adv, 650 twins, 310 GS, Dominar, triumph 400, Harley 440, or even bikes like previous gen Himalayan, CB350, and the likes,but for the rest who are in market for a versatile bike, the Himalayan 450 makes for a strong contention. And ofcourse a very strong case, in case someone is genuinely interested in getting into trails and off-roading.
You spoke exactly what I had in my mind, Nasirkaka.
I had a 411 before. I loved it to the core despite its shortcomings. Then at some point I sold it and bought a new Dominar because I didn't want to spend close to 4 lakhs for a duke when I can have 70% of the duke at about 65% of its price. Dominar was the only 40hp bike which was being sold for under 2lakhs in Kerala.
A few days ago I test rode a 450. The very first thing that crossed my mind when I started it was 'it is so clarrery at idle.' I felt it was even more clattery than my Dominar. Like you said it is all subjective. I liked the suspension, I really liked how I could easily go through the Bangalore service roads without any care. This is because I was basically comparing this with the rock hard - no feedback given suspension on my current bike. I even felt the Himalayan was more gruff than my Dominar on the go.
But like you said everything is subjective. The Himalayan 450 has great suspension, large fuel tank, more than enough power without making someone work the throttle and clutch all the time.

Last edited by sole_rider : 29th December 2023 at 12:28. Reason: Spelling correction
sole_rider is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 12:39   #1065
BHPian

Quote:
let me tell you, the HONDAs are different. There's just something about those bikes that sets it apart in terms of refinement, and I won't even bother bringing in any comparisons – it's in a league of its own.
Haha, maybe I am spoilt by the HONDAs resulting in me keeping too high expectations. Even the high-compression-engined 300R felt very refined. I will keep my expectations in check when test-riding singles hereafter and check whether my tolerance levels can increase.

Quote:
Now, let's talk about THE HIMALAYAN – a bit vibey at varying speeds, but hey, it's part of the engine's character, I feel. Those SHOWA shock absorbers decimates everything on the road. And that dynamic meter console everyone's raving about. That beautifully sculpted tank. The compact silencer design. The gorgeous and lightweight aluminium alloy golden rims.
There is no debate when it comes to the overall package and the versatility that the Himalayan offers. It is that desirability quotient that is pulling the crowds (including me) into the showrooms. The one bike that can do almost everything.

Quote:
I promise to drop a comprehensive review soon
Will be looking forward to it

Last edited by klgiridhar : 29th December 2023 at 12:40.
klgiridhar is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks