Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2023, 12:30   #1066
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed

After immersing myself in a few days of riding with the HIMALAYAN, my satisfaction is met. The disconcerting buzz, vibrations, and heat that were perceptible on the test drive bike with over 5000 kilometers on the odometer are conspicuously absent on my own unit.

It speaks volumes about the refinement and engineering prowess of this machine. However, it's imperative to acknowledge that this motorcycle isn't tailored for urban commutes. Maneuvering through the cityscape proves to be a challenging task, given its limited agility and a certain hesitance in navigating through narrow gaps. Unlike its predecessor, the original Himalayan, a stalwart 'mountain goat' renowned for its off-road prowess, the bike takes a different stance. It doesn't exude the same mountain-taming agility that the OG Himalayan effortlessly offered during my previous ownership.

In essence, while the new HIMALAYAN triumphs in mitigating the unwarranted discomforts encountered in the test ride, its urban utility remains somewhat compromised. Its true essence, it seems, lies beyond the confines of city streets, beckoning towards terrains where its capabilities can truly shine. In conclusion, unlike the OG Himalayan, this is no 'mountain goat'.
The NEW HIMALAYAN is KING of the HIGHWAY!
Attached Thumbnails
2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-img_6878.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 30th December 2023 at 12:32.
Sebring is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th December 2023, 18:58   #1067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds.raikkonen View Post
The Service Centers/Dealerships have an escalation matrix pasted inside the premises in a location where customers can conveniently take note of the same.

Else the owner's manual usually has address and mail IDs of the Regional Offices of the brand, may check it out.
Doesn't work some self proclaimed expect comes rides and bike and says all is good!
Today while inspecting the bike this is what we noticed!

What surprised me the most is the so called RE EXPERT and authorized service centers also did not notice this problem ! ? And give the bike back saying its normal !??

Does anyone else have this issue on their bike?
Captain Slow is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th December 2023, 21:46   #1068
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

My booking was on dec 16th. I was initially told by RE customer care that I would be getting bike only by April 4th week. Today I got call from dealer saying my bike would reach showroom by Feb 3rd week. Looks like waiting time mentioned in RE website is over estimate.

Meanwhile I tried asking for experiential ride (longer TD) on any day where TD requests might be low, which dealer declined politely saying everyday there are huge number of TDs happening. Wondering how some people here got longer TDs. Any tips please let me know.
Old 30th December 2023, 22:57   #1069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_rider View Post
My booking was on dec 16th. I was initially told by RE customer care that I would be getting bike only by April 4th week. Today I got call from dealer saying my bike would reach showroom by Feb 3rd week. Looks like waiting time mentioned in RE website is over estimate.
Where are you seeing the waiting time on the website, is there some kind of tracking sowewhere for our booking?

Is there even online booking for the himalayan right now? I checked the app as well as the website and didn't find any online booking option so booked directly via the dealer today
Old 30th December 2023, 23:10   #1070
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_v3 View Post
Where are you seeing the waiting time on the website, is there some kind of tracking sowewhere for our booking?

Is there even online booking for the himalayan right now? I checked the app as well as the website and didn't find any online booking option so booked directly via the dealer today
After booking there is no way to track wait time in app or website. You can only check with RE customer care by sharing booking number. I checked via email asking something different. But they gave me an estimate along with answer to my query.

Before booking, in the website when you complete "configure now" option in final screen (before you make payment), it will tell you approximate waiting time.

Last edited by tech_rider : 30th December 2023 at 23:20. Reason: Adding more clarity to first 2 sentenses
Old 31st December 2023, 00:04   #1071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_rider View Post
After booking there is no way to track wait time in app or website. You can only check with RE customer care by sharing booking number. I checked via email asking something different. But they gave me an estimate along with answer to my query.

Before booking, in the website when you complete "configure now" option in final screen (before you make payment), it will tell you approximate waiting time.
Ok, got it! The configure now page has kinda remained stuck after i click on proceed so i thought its not functional. Anyway, the booking is done so the wait begins.
Old 31st December 2023, 10:56   #1072
BHPian

I took a test ride yesterday. Here's what stood out enough that it left an impression on me:
  • The bike is really long! Very good for stability but finding parking in crowded cities is going to be tough with the bike sticking out so much.
  • It felt very natural riding it. I didn't feel like I was riding a totally alien bike and did have to think about how it handled.
  • My ride was just a few km in the city but I managed to hit the rev limiter in 1st and 2nd gears. Vibrations are ok and didn't bother me.
  • The brakes were good but the lever and pedal feel were not. It's hard to identify the bite point of the brakes.
  • The finishing was really nice but there are still a lot of crude parts. The sheet metal welded parts such as the tank side guards come to mind.
  • I barely looked at the display during my ride but I think it's well-designed. Except for the indicator and other warning lights. They are also displayed on the screen, therefore they cannot be brighter than the rest of the screen. That's a mistake! There are too many people riding around forgetting that their indicators are flashing! The indicator is not self cancelling and does not have an audible beep so it's easy to forget they're on. I think all two wheelers should come with beeper connected to the indicator.
  • The link type rear suspension is a big plus. This surely improves comfort and handling compared to direct acting suspension.
  • The suspension is really comfortable and it's easy to ride over bad roads that would make you wince or clench your jaw on many other bikes.
  • I didn't look for or notice any delay or play in the throttle that some have reported.
  • You definitely notice the weight at walking speeds! Extra Care needed while manoeuvring on slopes and slippery surfaces!
  • I'm 5'10"and I didn't feel any difficulty in mounting, sitting on or dismounting the bike even on the side stand.
  • Ergonomically, the Himalayan is really well designed. Everything feels like it's in the right place.
  • There is not as much torque at lower speeds as I expected from a big single. So I needed to be in a lower gear than I initially thought to get enough acceleration. It doesn't bother me, though. For a bike making less than 100 PS/litre, I feel like that's sub par. All the KTMs make more than 100 ps/litre and have lower bottom end torque but compensate nicely at the top end.
On the whole, I really liked the experience but I won't be booking it any time soon. I'll wait for 6 months to pass for issues to surface and problems to be solved before I part with my money.

Last edited by Motard_Blr : 31st December 2023 at 10:59.
Motard_Blr is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 11:58   #1073
BHPian

Bosky's latest take on the Himalayan vs KTM Adventure 390.

Here's addressing some really interesting points and common concerns.

Motard_Blr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 12:09   #1074
Senior - BHPian

SECOND GEAR STALL ISSUE.
I had stopped for a coconut water in Mandya, came out, on to the highway and encountered the 'second gear stall issue'. Bike just dies and doesn't fire back up. I didn't face this in the TD vehicle, so I'm wondering what this is! What's scary was that there was a KSRTC bus behind me and at a decent speed. If I hadn't flailed my hands like crazy it would have just run me over. Now I go quick to third gear without giving second any time. PHEW!
Attached Thumbnails
2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-img_7207.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 12:21   #1075

I have got an update from one of the showrooms that price hike is going to be 22k for H450. Anyone else has any news regarding the new price from tomorrow?
Attached Thumbnails
2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-null20231231wa0005.jpg  

RajeshKanna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 13:14   #1076
Senior - BHPian

MotoTorque was the first of the block with accessories but the finish is really bad. Better wait for good products. I find this an eyesore.
Attached Thumbnails
2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-img_6908.jpg  

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-img_6909.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 15:24   #1077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Captain Slow, interesting find.

Can you please verify the following points also:

1. Is the front wheel absolutely vertical? As in the distance from the ground to the axle on the left and right side are the same?

2. next point would be to check whether the spacers in the front axle are provided correctly on the LHS and RHS? Please verify this with any other Himalayan awaiting delivery.
skviknaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 17:25   #1078
Senior - BHPian

A KTM ADV owners perspective of Himalayan 450. Also, I did 650kms on Sunday with the KTM and 150-200 odd on the Himalayan 450 on Monday so the feedback between the two bikes was back to back.

Disclaimer - I am a Chapri KTM Lover and will say KTM is the best without shame. So if this bike has impressed me, it will mostly impress those who like RE

Before I share what's different, similar, and probably my perspective of what I would have chosen today, I want to say this is not an update to the old Himalayan. It is a fresh new bike that has its own riding characteristics and it is not trying to address the problems of the first Himalayan.

Secondly, the Himalayan 450 is just like the KTM 390 ADV. The ride feels similar and the power is extremely potent and similar to the KTM 390 ADV. On a drag with similar riders, it will be neck and neck on top speed while KTM will surge faster to the top speed.

The goods
- This is the second-best bike from RE after the 650.
- Big smiles all around and the bike has power in all gears.
- Excellent ergonomics, easy to ride, comfortable to do speeds, to cruise while touring, and very much a lively bike that will be ready to respond to the throttle, calmly.
- Shorter and easier turning radius on the Himalayan is very good.
- Weight does not show in either bike though KTM is lighter.

Similarity between the two
- Similar power and torque
- Quality of materials very much comparable
- Nimble in general and does not feel heavy
- Unlike the first version the weight balance is more towards the center. This is evident as you do not see the weight difference in standing still or taking tight turns at low speeds between these two bikes. KTM is difficult to move around when standing still.
- LED console is functional and useful
- Loves to be revved hard
- Engine is lively after 5K rpm
- Tall folks will require some mods to the handlebar to make it more comfortable. I am 183cms and I will add a handlebar raiser. Very difficult to ride it standing on broken roads as the handlebar is very low and i have to bend to even keep my fingers on the throttle or clutch.
- Excellent ground clearance
- Forget broken roads and ride over them. KTM is a bit firm on stock suspension and setting while Himalayan feels on the softer side.
- At speeds side to side wobbling takes a little longer to settle compared to KTM
- Both are very vibey engines.

Differences
- The acceleration is much calmer in the Himalayan vs the KTM. This means when overtaking even when shifting a gear down, you have to rev harder with the Himalayan to get the required torque.
- KTM is more of a point-and-shoot and I felt it was easier to get the power on the wheel faster. Acceleration is faster in KTM
- General handlebar and ergo for a tall person will be best in the KTM
- KTM suspension is hard and needs to be set to soft settings in the rear to match the ride quality of Himalayan. The front suspension of KTM is a disaster with horrible rebound making the ride sometimes bouncy. Himalayan is set for touring and while it won't glide through bad roads like Himalayan's 1st version, it will settle down faster than the stock KTM.
- Himalayan pegs for tall riders will cause some fatigue at the knee. Pegs could have been a little forward. I know it because I am recovering from ACL surgery and between these rides, Himalayan was uncomfortable.
- KTM vibrations are felt via any after-market crash bar and in the handlebar mostly. Himalayan vibrations are felt all through the bike. Comparatively, both render the rearview mirror sometimes useless.
- Himalayan vibration settles down around 6500-7000 RPM whereas KTM feels less vibey at those ranges which will probably be the cruising range.
- Exhaust notes are equally good. I even liked the first generation KTM so I can put up with most exhaust notes.
-Crosswinds make this bike very difficult to ride even with the torque curve. The KTM I felt accelerates faster and lets you take a better line faster even during cross winds while trusting its flickability.

Things that I love were there in the KTM
- Side stand. This side stand is something I want to retrofit into the KTM
- Centre stand
- Himalayan brakes - Specially the rear brakes. This is the best rear brake setup I have ever used. This stops the bike even without touching the front brakes. The best brakes in this segment I have ridden.
- Lovely tank design

Things that I wish were there from the KTM
- Quick shifter
- Adjustable levers
- Wider handlebar
- Grips that could have been softer
- Taller and broader handlebar.

Cons for the Himalayan
- Vibrations make riding inside the city or at slow speed a tedious job. It hurts my palm with the hard hand grips. This is a cruiser and they should have never given this bike such cheap grips.
- Horrible switches. Some may like it but I hated the switches and the way they function
- Menu organization and switch to access menu are very unfriendly. Think of Sony's menu system in a mirrorless vs what Canon and Nikon had for years.
- The LED screen while great is underutilized with half-baked functionality.
- Headlights are so-so and will need better after-market fitment
- Headlight highway highbeam dim/dip is a tedious effort. Imagine the cast iron days. It was a pain then and it is a pain now. It needs to be a simple switch like what KTM has done.
- Gearing can be a little shorter considering the vibration curve.
- The gearbox is very rough. The base version without the adjustable clutch made it extremely hard to ride changing gears. I will give benefit of doubt to this specific bike.

Overall - I am thoroughly impressed and I will say, this is the second-best bike from RE in the recent past.

Final question - If today I were to choose a bike between 390 ADV and Himalayan, what would it be?

For me, it will be the KTM 390 ADV even if I try to be unbiased. I like to keep the revs higher and that style suits my riding.

For others, the choice will be based on Cost vs post-sale service cost. KTM is cheap anyway to maintain and hence it will purely be a cost decision as both are extremely capable bikes in their own way.

I do not know to off-road and hence cannot comment on those questions.

Last edited by VW2010 : 31st December 2023 at 17:46.
VW2010 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 00:19   #1079

The prices for Himalayan 450 across all variants has been revised and updated in the configuration webpage https://makeityours.royalenfield.com...ator/Himalayan.
Attached Thumbnails
2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-kaza-brown.png  

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-comparison.png  

Linea is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 10:51   #1080
Senior - BHPian

As I understand from the various ownership/ test ride reviews, this bike does not have the versatility/ agility of the old Himmy in urban/ low speed environment because of the difference in torque spread and dimensions. It excels where the old Himmy lacks with its high speed touring capability and improved suspension. If someone is looking for a one bike garage, this would not fit. This would be perfect if you have a second bike for tight space/ high traffic urban commute and reserve this bike for open roads/ touring.

The new ADV 390 from KTM scheduled for launch early next year might be the one bike solution for different use cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
SECOND GEAR STALL ISSUE.
What's scary was that there was a KSRTC bus behind me and at a decent speed. If I hadn't flailed my hands like crazy it would have just run me over. Now I go quick to third gear without giving second any time. PHEW!
That is a very scary issue. The bike's primary use case is touring and such issues on high speed expressways can be very dangerous. Even with the high price hike from Jan, it seems wiser to wait for RE to iron out the initial issues and launch the tubeless variant.
PatienceWins is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks