Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2023, 20:57   #1036
BHPian

Re: 2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed

Ownership Update : 500 km First Free Service

But first a few pics from the Christmas ride

Took Bagheera to where it belongs : the hills (of Arunachal Pradesh), but only for a short spin as I had already done 344 kms and could do only a turnaround distance of 146 kms before the first service.

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-img_20231227_185804.jpg
The tea gardens of Harchura

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-img_20231225_143515.jpg
Gateway to Nameri National Park

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-img_20231227_190401.jpg
Enroute to Bhakukpong

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-img_20231227_182729.jpg
Somewhere ahead of Tippi

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-img_20231227_183059.jpg
Scintillating Silhouette

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-img_20231225_143459.jpg
Valley View (Kameng river in the background)

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-img20231225140515.jpg
Back home in time for first service (496.5 kms on the odo).

Innovative Customer Feedback System
I received a call on 26 December from the Service Manager of Saraighat Riders asking about the performance of the bike and any assistance required.
He also went on to inform me that a WhatsApp group is being created with the following persons in it
  • Service manager of the dealer
  • Area Service Manager
  • Regional Service Manager
  • Road Side Assistance representative
  • Technical Representative of RE

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-img_20231227_193307.jpg
2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-img_20231227_193205.jpg

I was told to share my experience so far and any problems faced in ownership including service etc in the group and it would be attended to ASAP.

I was really taken aback at this gesture. Unprecedented as far as my knowledge goes. Great going RE

First Free Service

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-img_20231227_191342.jpg
In queue at the service centre

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-img20231227153406.jpg
Odo reading at first service 499.4

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-img20231227154036.jpg
The 500km free service kit consisting of an oil filter and 6 rubber O-rings. No separate parts are required now. I was told that all parts are packaged as a kit apart from the oil and lubricants. The kit costs ₹250.00 only.

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-img20231227153735.jpg
Two drain holes are now placed to a side which when opened drained out a little less than 2 litres of used oil.

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-img_20231227_181133.jpg
A close up of the two drain holes which ease faster and more quantity of oil to drain out. Both drain holes have a suction filter inserted within. The drain bolts are interchangeable and take in one O-ring each. Pretty neat arrangement I must admit.

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-img_20231227_181011.jpg
The two suction filters which are taken out after removing the drain bolts. These contained some metal shavings and black metal particles. (Common in first oil change of a new engine)

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-img_20231227_181036.jpg
An allen key is required to remove the threaded cover on the right hand side engine cover to gain access to the oil filter. The filter is the same as the OG Himalayan.

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-img20231227155931.jpg
In goes 2.1 litres of 10W40 liquid gun.

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-img20231227162545.jpg
The right hand side panel has to be removed by opening an allen screw placed at an awkward position (behind the rear brake fluid reservoir) to gain access to the coolant reservoir. God knows what made RE choose the colour of coolant which renders the window to check coolant level (which is a slot on the panel cover) useless. Coolant level has to be kept between the max and min marks.

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-img20231227160136.jpg
Bottom view with the Bash Plate removed.

The ground clearance is actually good. I don't think with sane usage, there will be any requirement of fitting the all metal bash plate. It would actually require some skill to make this gentle giant bottom out.

Some of the other tasks carried out were :-
  • Chain cleaning and lubrication.
  • Lubrication of clutch cable.
  • Adjustment of chain slack.
  • Brake pad check.
  • Condition and tightening of all hoses.
  • Checking all lights and electrical fittings.
  • Checking battery condition, terminal cleaning.
  • Handlebar T checking and adjustment if required.
  • General washing and cleaning.

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-img_20231227_175841.jpg

Total service cost was ₹1800.00 including expendables. I carried home the remaining chain cleaner and lube (should see me through for another 1000 kms)

The quality of training of RE technicians seem to have improved. They were carrying something like a PDI list and actually ticking each task carried out, all under close supervision of the service manager.

Whether it is extra caution being a newly launched model or overall improvement in the service quality of RE, Bagheera was enjoying the attention every bit.

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th December 2023 at 07:28. Reason: Putting text captions on a new line below the images :)
aviator1101 is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 00:39   #1037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi.roger View Post
I know that it's pending for legal clearance but again I'm just curious if the golden color spoked rims will cost more than standard colors.
That's exactly why I went for Kamet White and Kaza Brown. When the tubeless spoles are released I expect the black rims will be more common and easily available since they are common to all the models except Handle Black.

On top of that if you don't get the tubeless rims in gold then the very reason for getting Handle Black is defeated. Plus golden ones could be costlier.
Old 28th December 2023, 02:16   #1038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
The ground clearance is actually good. I don't think with sane usage, there will be any requirement of fitting the all metal bash plate. It would actually require some skill to make this gentle giant bottom out.
You've got a nice ride! Congratulations and wish you many happy miles with the new ride!
I think it's a good idea to have a decent bash plate on it. Are the one from the rally pack already available with RE ASC now? I liked that better than the one from the adventure pack.
Even if you think it has good ground clearance, it's for that rate moment when you disregard that knowingly or unknowingly and hit the ground/rocks. It'll also protect from the shooting rocks from the tyre and may protect in many other ways.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 07:22   #1039
BHPian

Hi all,
as I am riding around within city for around 100 kms now, I am feeling that the handle bar needs to be raise a little. I am feeling strain on my shoulders as the current posture is forcing me to bend down a little. Has anyone else also experienced this?

If anyone has come across handle bar raisers, please do share the link.
rich_heart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 13:53   #1040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_heart View Post
Hi all,
as I am riding around within city for around 100 kms now, I am feeling that the handle bar needs to be raise a little. I am feeling strain on my shoulders as the current posture is forcing me to bend down a little. Has anyone else also experienced this?

If anyone has come across handle bar raisers, please do share the link.
I think the current bar clamps can be removed and reversed to extend reach a little.

AulusGabinius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 14:48   #1041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam9293 View Post
That's exactly why I went for Kamet White and Kaza Brown. When the tubeless spoles are released I expect the black rims will be more common and easily available since they are common to all the models except Handle Black.

On top of that if you don't get the tubeless rims in gold then the very reason for getting Handle Black is defeated. Plus golden ones could be costlier.
On top of that, you can't resale the Old Golden Rims easily to anyone who is okay buying a used Tube-Typed rims. It'd only be Hanle Black users who don't want to upgrade and damaged their stock rims. That Golden Rim would essentially be a waste.

Last edited by rishi.roger : 28th December 2023 at 14:49.
Old 28th December 2023, 15:20   #1042
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi.roger View Post
On top of that, you can't resale the Old Golden Rims easily to anyone who is okay buying a used Tube-Typed rims. It'd only be Hanle Black users who don't want to upgrade and damaged their stock rims. That Golden Rim would essentially be a waste.
You never know.

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-ducatiscramblerdesertsled20172850x567.jpg
man_of_steel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 15:42   #1043
BHPian

Had a chance to take a longish test drive today of Himalayan 450 for 30 mins mainly on smooth tarmac (bike ODO was just 22 kms) . Couple of observations - a) foot pegs will brush your legs in start-stop traffic (will need getting used to), b) bike has significant vibrations beyond 80 kmph, c) gears are not tall enough - had to down shift more frequently. While a good adventure bike, after driving SM 650 for last 9+ months, did not connect with Himalayan. SM 650 is way smoother and inspires confidence at high speeds when compared to Himalayan 450. If you are willing to spend 3+ lakhs for primarily touring, do test drive an SM 650 before deciding. If your goal is off-roading, then do take a longish offroad test drive before you finalize.
Old 28th December 2023, 16:05   #1044
Senior - BHPian

That's kind of strange, I'm hearing mixed reviews on vibrations. Some people says the vibrations can be felt only post the 6K RPMs and that too not really bad and deal breaker. However, certain folks do mention that the vibrations are between 80-100kmph and some says gone post 100kmph.
I see from many reviews that REH gets to 100kmph at 5k rpm just fine and would be around/above 120kmph at little over 6k rpm.
Is there a review, blog/vlog where this aspect is tested thoroughly!
Old 28th December 2023, 16:06   #1045
Senior - BHPian

I am genuinely surprised that none of the reviews even acknowledged the irritating buzzing sound emanating from the fuel pump! The 650 twins were devoid of this issue!
Captain Slow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 16:18   #1046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
That's kind of strange, I'm hearing mixed reviews on vibrations. Some people says the vibrations can be felt only post the 6K RPMs and that too not really bad and deal breaker. However, certain folks do mention that the vibrations are between 80-100kmph and some says gone post 100kmph.
I see from many reviews that REH gets to 100kmph at 5k rpm just fine and would be around/above 120kmph at little over 6k rpm.
FWIW, my benchmark for vibrations is SM 650. I do not feel any till 120 kmph on SM 650 (did not ride it beyond that speed till date). Not sure if that is related to lack of run-in the test ride bike (has just 22 kms on ODO). Even gears are taller in SM 650 - I can easily pull bike at 4th gear between 30-40 kmph - Himalayan required me to go down to 3rd every single time.
Prashant_BHP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 17:28   #1047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashant_BHP View Post
FWIW, my benchmark for vibrations is SM 650. I do not feel any till 120 kmph on SM 650 (did not ride it beyond that speed till date). Not sure if that is related to lack of run-in the test ride bike (has just 22 kms on ODO). Even gears are taller in SM 650 - I can easily pull bike at 4th gear between 30-40 kmph - Himalayan required me to go down to 3rd every single time.
Very different bikes which we are talking about here, however how is your experience on bad roads on the SM650? I had taken a test ride when it was launched back then and immediately dropped the plan to buy it since I just felt every small bump on the road run through my spine and don't even get me started on the handling of it in Bangalore's traffic. Were there any updates post launch for suspension? just curious.

Quote:
That's kind of strange, I'm hearing mixed reviews on vibrations. Some people says the vibrations can be felt only post the 6K RPMs and that too not really bad and deal breaker. However, certain folks do mention that the vibrations are between 80-100kmph and some says gone post 100kmph.!
First ride review I had posted about the buzz and no one seemed to acknowledge it back then. The crazy aura created by the influencers is dying down now maybe and actual observations will follow.

Also, a key thing to note here is, everyone says this has no vibrations compared to the other RE's (very vicious this statement is )

This is a great engine as compared to the ktm 390 on touring front and we cannot/should not expect smoothness equivalent of twins as well, it's a single pot there is only so much it can do!

But looking at the way RE is working on the service aspect of this bike and a lot of positive reviews about the SA/everything has to be reported back to the HQ is inspiring that the niggles would be ironed out soon.

Last edited by bhansali_hardik : 28th December 2023 at 17:33. Reason: adding quotes
bhansali_hardik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 17:38   #1048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhansali_hardik View Post
Very different bikes which we are talking about here, however how is your experience on bad roads on the SM650? I had taken a test ride when it was launched back then and immediately dropped the plan to buy it since I just felt every small bump on the road run through my spine and don't even get me started on the handling of it in Bangalore's traffic. Were there any updates post launch for suspension? just curious.
SM 650 has a stiff suspension and you do feel all the bumps on the road for sure. I recently adjusted the rear shocker suspension setting and it has gotten better. SM 650 is NOT a bike for Bangalore traffic - it is an outright cruiser for tarmac roads with stiff suspension and superb handling (glued to the road). It also has a large turning radius like a car and can be difficult to drive in stop-start traffic. That said, on a straight road - it is a beauty to ride! I can say it is butter smooth compared to Himalayan 450 (disclaimer on run-in and possible issues with test ride bike). Luckily I do not encounter many of Bangalore roads and traffic challenges in and around Hyderabad.

There are no updates since launch that I know of - may be I just got used to stiff suspension.
Old 28th December 2023, 18:13   #1049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been following the bike closely since the raving reviews by the influencers. As you mention, vibration is one aspect that has mixed reviews. The initial reports mentioned only mild vibrations/ buziness after 5k rpm. The recent real world reviews on vibrations is disheartening. A smooth vehicle while touring full day plays a big role for comfort.

I would rent the vehicle for a day and test it thoroughly on highway before taking a call once the tubeless tires are launched.
PatienceWins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 18:19   #1050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashant_BHP View Post
SM 650 has a stiff suspension and you do feel all the bumps on the road for sure. I recently adjusted the rear shocker suspension setting and it has gotten better. SM 650 is NOT a bike for Bangalore traffic - it is an outright cruiser for tarmac roads with stiff suspension and superb handling (glued to the road). It also has a large turning radius like a car and can be difficult to drive in stop-start traffic. That said, on a straight road - it is a beauty to ride! I can say it is butter smooth compared to Himalayan 450 (disclaimer on run-in and possible issues with test ride bike). Luckily I do not encounter many of Bangalore roads and traffic challenges in and around Hyderabad.

There are no updates since launch that I know of - may be I just got used to stiff suspension.
Sounds exactly like my experience! Yeah, that engine is something and the sweet note from the twins is very addictive. Himalayan for sure is not polished when you compare that with the twins. It's rough and growls, but with my time with the 400 cc engines is the same experience all the time, they are rough at some point in the rev band, there is a considerable amount to vibrations/buzz and they do spit out heat. It's inevitable for the form and capacity.

SM650 is great of you use well laid out roads and travel from A to B, I cannot think of touring personally on it since half of the places where we go do not have tarmac.

Himalayan as an off-roader is not something I can pick, because of the weight and the mid surge in the power band. I don't have the skills to control the power band on a slope with leaves/loose gravel and with weight like that I don't know if I ever can.

However, the only perfect use case as per me for the new himmy is :
1) If you tour once in a while
2) If you have a pillion
3) If you want to carry luggage with pillion

These cases, is the most perfect fit according to me for himmy and rest of the specs/features are secondary. There is no other bike on the market at least in sub 5lakh category where you can plan on touring with a pillion and luggage comfortably. (KTM 390 ADV, the buzz and high revving nature wears out the pillion Sooner than you think)
bhansali_hardik is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks