Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2023, 01:47   #1021
BHPian

Re: 2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed

Went for a proper ~30m+ no restriction test ride today (with my wife as a pillion).
Fortunately, the dealership had 805mm seat height installed according to them and I was very easily able to flat foot on the bike with both my feet planted on the ground firmly and even then some room to bend the leg (I'm 5'7). I think people with 5.5" should be easily able to ride the motorbike with low seat height accessory.

Few key points from the ride:
-> Engine: The engine is happy to rev but not as much hyped in Media. Yes, it has a very nice power surge after 3k rpm but I think you would not want to red-line it all the way. It feels harsh after say 6k rpm and IMO that band from 6-8.5rpm is not as enjoyable. The sweet spot feels between 2k->6k rpm where you don't feel any stress or harshness creeping in. Also, that range is very practical and enough. I wasn't bothered by buzz/vibes at all unless I was going beyond 6k rpm which would translate to ~120kmph in last drive.
-> Low-End Torque: I was expecting lot more engine knock and poor low down torque but to my surprise, it wasn't that bad. 10/10 it won't stall in city even in bumper to bumper traffic unlike KTMs.
-> Engine Heat: Very noticeable even at 16-17c Ambient temperature, while wearing denims and outdoor boots. I was riding it moderately. I'm not surprise though as I was expecting it, coming from a similiar machine.
-> Suspensions: They're great! but I think people have over-hyped it in media reviews. They do excellent job in filtering out tiny bumps and smoothen out mid-size jolts but you're still going to feel the bad roads - just that with 21" wheels, small bumps or brakers won't slow you down.
-> Brakes: Rear Brakes! WOW, Crazy!!! Front Brakes -> Very good and progressive. Braking on this bike is definitely one of a kind!
-> Handling: The bike is not as top-heavy as I felt Dominar. It's heavy ? Yes, but I think it's managebale if you're able to flat foot it to an extent. On Dominar, even with flat-foot it was a task. The handle is quite agile. The bike can be flicked but you need to gain confidence. The only situation where I felt the bike could pose a bit of challenge was for cornering addicts, but that too would be more about trust and learning curve. I wa able to lean upto a fair extent but I didn't have all my gear so I didn't push too hard - and it was a wise decisio, IMO.
I rode it in dense city traffic and it wasn't too much struggle, except (peak summers where heat might become a challenge).
-> Console: I didn't really mess around with the tripper-dash console. However, I noticed that it wasn't distracting at all. I had everything that I needed. Infact, it also seem to have a sensor which sets the mode from light to dark depending upon light sensitivity. (I noticed this when I entered a tunnel - and my phone wasn't paired with it for any map info).
-> Side/Rear-View Mirrors: The first thing I told my wife "I am going to change this and replace with Dominar or some better RVMs the moment I get the bike". It honestly felt very small and adjustment was horrible. Not sure if it was an issue with the partiular bike but unfortunately they only had one unit in showroom.

In short -> The bike is extremely practical and fun to handle on bad roads and city as well. However, I don't think it's the bike I would recommend to my friends if they want something for the sheer pleaure of motorbiking on decent roads. I really couldn't connect with the engine in a way where I could say that I was able to feel the heart of the machine (Long-Strokes feel has spoiled me). It felt like any other ordinary engine but responsive and with more power.
If I wanted a machine with great engine particuarly in terms of feel/signature) -> 650cc from RE are excellent units. It makes me wish, if I should wait for RE to launch a Himalayan with 650cc heart.

I must say this again, Himalayan 450 is excellent in terms of practicality. RE engineering team has knocked this one out of the park, but it also seems true to me that it won't win any medals in design/looks/finish or feel department.

My decision after test ride: Am I getting it ? Yes! Definitely because motorbiking is not just about taking the feel from the engine for me but also the ability to take it anywhere and everywhere without worry (this is precisely where Himalayan seem to tick everyting in my list).

Last edited by rishi.roger : 26th December 2023 at 01:57.
rishi.roger is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 09:13   #1022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_heart View Post
The only issue I faced was that the Tripper Dashboard didn't connect with my Pixel 6. It connected with multiple other mobile phone models.

Can anyone who has come across this issue share any solution?
I had the same issue as well with my OnePlus Nord CE 5G. The phone is running Android 13 so not an issue with the version. The owners manual mentions that the console is compatible with Android and Apple software which are two versions behind the current one.

My friend's iPhone connected seamlessly without any issues though.

I reset the network settings on my phone and the phone attempted the connection but failed. Previously, even the attempt would not happen. I have now done a full factory reset of the phone and will try connecting to the console later today. Hope it works.

Do try the above and let us know.
n_aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 10:34   #1023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
The prices of accessories for the all new Himalayan have been revealed on the RE website.

Surprisingly, knuckle guards do not form part of the protection sub head. Maybe it's only part of the Rally Theme kit.
I saw knuckle guards too in the Royal Enfield website. But it looks like we can't order it online and has to go through dealers or authorised retailers.
Old 26th December 2023, 10:42   #1024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD150 View Post
Faisal Khan (Motorbeam) has reviewed the new Himalayan 450....Towards the end, the bike fails to start.
Honestly the way he redlines in every gear on a bike with less than 250km on the ODO, I wouldn't be surprised if that engine has just completely seized. And hitting the starter so many times before the fuel pump has finished priming just makes me squirm (not sure if its of any consequence though).

I know part of their job is to push the limits of a bike, but how someone who calls themselves a professional automotive journalist can have such little mechanical sympathy baffles me.
Karthik.guru is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 10:54   #1025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD150 View Post
Faisal Khan (Motorbeam) has reviewed the new Himalayan 450
This person has gone from being a good journalist to being nothing more than one of those Instagram "Influencers" (Not the good type). It's not just this motorcycle, but how he rides any motorcycle or drives any car for views on public roads is unacceptable. Most of his "reviews" involve a lot of screaming and blabbering stuff directly from the spec sheet and not providing any additional value per se. It's best to take whatever he says with a bucket of salt. I'd bank on Team BHPians reviews any day over these so-called journos.

In the meantime, I've been seeing a few Hanle Black Himmys riding around Bangalore South, so it looks like deliveries are ramping up as well!
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 11:41   #1026
Senior - BHPian

My bike, which I've only had for three days, has been at the service center since Sunday! 😞 From the moment I took delivery of the bike, I noticed a significant pull to the right. I promptly reported this issue, and now the service personnel are investigating the matter.

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-pxl_20231224_092056422.jpg

Does anyone have a contact with RE with whom I can escalate this ?
Captain Slow is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 14:56   #1027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
The Service Centers/Dealerships have an escalation matrix pasted inside the premises in a location where customers can conveniently take note of the same.

Else the owner's manual usually has address and mail IDs of the Regional Offices of the brand, may check it out.
ds.raikkonen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 16:34   #1028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Received a call from the service team informing me that the top professionals from RE will be arriving to "inspect" the bike. Hopefully, something positive will come out of this.
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 17:08   #1029
Senior - BHPian

I've always yearned for an off-road bike to navigate the challenging terrain of our city roads, reminiscent of the moon's surface.
The Himalayan appeared to be the perfect match, prompting me to swiftly make an online reservation on the day of its announcement.

Initially, I had booked the Hanle Black variant. However, upon inspecting the bike in the showroom, I found the color to be too flashy for my taste. Consequently, I contacted the dealer and requested a change to the more subtle Kaza Brown.

On the morning of Friday, December 15th, I received a call from the dealership, informing me that my bike was ready for pickup, and I could proceed with the full payment.

Wasted no time and promptly headed to the dealership, conducted a pre-delivery inspection (PDI), and settled the full payment.

It has been five days since I took possession of the bike. Acclaim Motors executed a commendable delivery process.
My points of contact, Syed and Manju, were exceptionally helpful and proactive (kudos to them).

Now back to the Bike -
I've been riding motorcycles for over 26 years now, and my list of owned bikes includes the
Yamaha Enticer, Bajaj 220, CB 350, Interceptor 650, and most recently, the Himalayan 450.

Speaking of the Interceptor 650, my firsthand experience provides insight into what Royal Enfield offers to the general consumer—a fantastic bike coupled with a less-than-stellar after-sales experience (more on that later).

Now, let's delve into what makes the Himalayan 450 special:

It boasts a water-cooled 452cc single-cylinder engine, marking Royal Enfield's first foray into liquid-cooled engines. 40bhp (at 8000rpm) and 40Nm of torque
The Engine has abundant low-end torque, making it adept at navigating challenging terrains by effortlessly pulling you out of tight spots, Now yes the engine emits a somewhat an Autorickshaw sound. It's not inherently negative, just not precisely what I had anticipated.
Very Classy and feature rich console.
2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-pxl_20231225_155810060.mp.jpg
2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-pxl_20231225_155811553.jpg

Weighing in at 196kgs, it's equipped with two riding modes: Eco, Performance (with rear ABS on), and Performance (with rear ABS off).
The full LED lighting enhances visibility.
Functioning as both a fun off-roader and a competent commuter, it strikes a balance between versatility and performance.
Despite its substantial weight of 196kgs, it feels surprisingly light and easy to ride.
The current price point offers excellent value for money.
With a 17L fuel tank, it ensures substantial riding range.
The seating position is excellent for comfort and control.
The bike's suspension excels at gliding over potholes, making it perfect for navigating challenging terrain.
Fuel Gauge seems reasonable accurate (compared to the 650 twins)
The ride quality surpasses any other bike in its segment.
Now, let's talk about the Himalayan 450 in more detail. First impressions? It's BIG! Myself Standing at 6'1", even on the main stand, my feet don't touch the ground.
However, once in motion, it feels like any other bike. The new liquid-cooled engine is a milestone for Royal Enfield, demonstrating impressive performance without overheating in bumper-to-bumper conditions.
For those who complain about heat on their legs, I would advise against riding this bike in shorts or mini skirts.
The overall appearance may seem imposing, but once seated, everything falls into place, making for a comfortable and enjoyable ride.
E20 Fuel compliant!
On the Left side panel there is a small window to check the coolant levels! (Standard green coolant is used here)
2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-pxl_20231225_152533544.jpg

However, there are a couple of aspects I am not particularly fond of:
The engine feels a bit harsh (especially when compared to the 650)
Vibrations - Being a single pot Engine this is not as refined as the 650.
After sales service of Royal Enfield can be a hit on Miss! As we shall soon find out.
Ugly Saree Guard! This needs to go ASAP !
2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-pxl_20231225_151946962.jpg
The placement of the fuel cap appears rather unconventional. When attempting to open the fuel filler cap, the key chain is bound to scratch or leave marks on the tank. It would have been more practical if the fuel filler cap were made removable, similar to the design of the 650 twins.
2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-pxl_20231225_152213440.jpg
2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-pxl_20231225_152226684.jpg
2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-pxl_20231225_152222205.jpg

Moreover, the fuel tank features a metal rod in the middle, preventing the fuel nozzle from being fully inserted into the tank.
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20231225_152226684.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	2.77 MB
ID:	2548554

Additionally, the rubber seal on the fuel filler cap seems remarkably similar to that of the 650 twins. We encountered significant issues with this rubber seal deteriorating over time.
2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-pxl_20231225_152230842.jpg

Another irksome aspect of the bike is the noise emanating from the fuel pump. Upon starting the bike, a persistent buzzing sound, like "bzzzzz," becomes apparent. Surprisingly, all 450 models have this sound, none of the reviews has even mentioned this.

Everyone admires the aesthetic appeal and overall feel of this bike! Surprisingly, even the guards responsible for protecting my cars from rats seem to have taken a liking to the new Himalayan 450. They appear quite comfortable perched on the bike, and convincing them to vacate their newfound spot is proving to be quite a challenge.
2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-pxl_20231225_152331140.jpg
2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-pxl_20231225_152417002.mp.jpg
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20231225_152417002.MP.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	2.88 MB
ID:	2548559
2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-pxl_20231225_152426068.jpg

They enjoyed the new location so much that they decided to throw a party on the bike!

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-pxl_20231225_152612458.jpg

On the day of picking up the bike from the showroom, I noticed a problem with it pulling to the right always

Today, I visited the service center to have the issue inspected. After a couple of individuals from the showroom took test rides, they confirmed a pull towards the right side. Unfortunately, they have requested me to leave the bike with them for further assessment.

Uncertain if this marks a favorable beginning for my ownership report. I hadn't anticipated having to leave my bike at the service center so soon!
It seems like there might be an issue with the front suspension or rim.

My Interceptor 650 has been incredibly reliable. While I did encounter some issues with the cone set, I managed to address them within a couple of months.

As I post this, the bike is still at the service center, awaiting instructions from RE on the next steps :( Does anyone have a contact at RE who could assist me?)
Attached Thumbnails
2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-img20231220wa0041.jpeg  

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-img20231220wa0066.jpeg  

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-img20231220wa0067.jpeg  

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-pxl_20231224_092056422.jpg  

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-pxl_20231225_152341049.mp.jpg  

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-pxl_20231225_152601446.jpg  

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 | Now officially revealed-pxl_20231225_155812599.mp.jpg  

Captain Slow is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 14:45   #1030
BHPian

Took a long, 5 km TD today on the Old Mumbai-Pune highway on a Kaza Brown H450. No broken roads as such, unfortunately, but nice long stretch of highway where I could hit and maintain 100 km/h for about five minutes. To give perspective, I'm 6'2" with a 34-inch inseam.

At a standstill:
  • The Dhone Automobiles PCMC showroom is small, but pretty nice.
  • The SA himself didn't like the Kaza Brown and told us it can be modded in the aftermarket, so to take that one as it was VFM.
  • The bike is somewhat heavy at a standstill, but that feeling reduces when you take it off the side stand. Once you get going, it's weightless.
  • It's not very hard to move around, say in a parking. Of course, that's just me, because of my long legs perhaps.

On the go:
  • My gods does it go. The engine sound changes dramatically at 5000 rpm when it starts to roar like one of the older Enfields, but until then it will purr along beautifully quietly.
  • Tractability is supreme, but of course not as good as the old Himalayan. My FZ 25 is actually sort of similar in that regard.
  • Beautifully light clutch, the only one lighter is the Honda Highness. The Triumph clutch is just as light as this. I can use this to make the engine behave even more gently than it naturally wants to.
  • The bike will stall if you keep riding it like an old Himalayan, since it does need to rev up to 2000 or so to get moving from a standstill. The old Himalayan could do it at only around a 1000, just because it was so tractable.
  • It's so flickable that misjudgment will cause you to tilt too far or turn too sharply. It's just as easy as the Super Meteor, but it doesn't feel sporty. More like it glides into U-turns.
  • The suspension is a chef's kiss. Superb, and just as good as the Triumph's.
  • Big bike feel is excellent because of the big tank and the handlebar. It feels like you're ruling from a golden throne.
  • You only notice the throttle lag when you rev up very quickly. Be gentle on the throttle and it's not noticeable.
  • Brakes are solid. Could have maybe used some feel, but there is no dive and no real grippiness issue. Nice and progressive all around.
  • Rear seat was super comfortable, I think I could go for a long ride on the back too.
  • Standing up is even easier than the old Himalayan, the bike feels easily controllable with the knees.
  • Didn't feel any heat at all in the cool Pune weather, but after about 20 km in a mixed traffic-highway speed riding situation, the fan came on. It's loud, but it's directed away from the legs for the most part, so no complaints there.
  • The only downside was the vibes post 6000 rpm. They're in the hands and the seat, until 7500, when they're all over. I think this might be annoying for someone who tours regularly, but I had no problem maintaining a hundred in 5th, and the rpms were about 5000-5500 with no fuss at all.
All in all, it's bloody excellent!

Comparing with the Triumph Scrambler 400x, here are a few points that someone confused between the two might consider.
  • The Scrambler will feel quicker and more responsive in the city, more sporty, because it is smaller, in both wheelbase and weight.
  • The Scrambler's vibes are a little higher than the Himalayan's, but they come into the feet, not the handlebar, so it might be less exhausting.
  • The Scrambler has no throttle lag, and it feels quicker on the throttle, more like a commuter or a street naked in comparison to the RE throttle lag.
  • The Scrambler will need sintered pads in front to deal with city traffic, the carbon ones will wear out soon enough. The RE seems to have no such issue.
To sum that up, the Scrambler is an easier city bike and the Himalayan is a superior touring bike.

Last edited by AulusGabinius : 27th December 2023 at 14:50. Reason: Missed a list tag
AulusGabinius is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 16:37   #1031
BHPian

I think I've gone crazy with all the research and am finalizing the Himalayan in Hanle Black latest by this weekend. Have requested for a test ride on Sat morning, already configured the bike online.

RE are surely going to hike the price from its current inaugural offer of Rs 2.84 ex-s/r (crazy that they're charging 15k additional for the colour, but then it gets the beautiful golden wheels as well).

Is it worth going for the AMC and extended warranty? Given that I'll be spending Rs 3.5 lakhs, won't be a concern but just wanted to know whether it is worth the money spent?
Old 27th December 2023, 17:16   #1032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds.raikkonen View Post
I think I've gone crazy with all the research and am finalizing the Himalayan in Hanle Black latest by this weekend. Have requested for a test ride on Sat morning, already configured the bike online.

RE are surely going to hike the price from its current inaugural offer of Rs 2.84 ex-s/r (crazy that they're charging 15k additional for the colour, but then it gets the beautiful golden wheels as well).

Is it worth going for the AMC and extended warranty? Given that I'll be spending Rs 3.5 lakhs, won't be a concern but just wanted to know whether it is worth the money spent?
As far as I know, there is no AMC. I did go for extended warranty only because this is a new engine, first model with liquid cooling. Road side assistance is also included, which I feel is very useful as it is across India.
rich_heart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 17:53   #1033
BHPian

For those of you who opted Hanle Black and plan to purchase the Tubeless spoke RIMS later - Has anyone checked if the wheels will be available in Golden/Yellow scheme or not ? Or there are no words on the wheel colors yet. I know that it's pending for legal clearance but again I'm just curious if the golden color spoked rims will cost more than standard colors.
rishi.roger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 19:12   #1034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi.roger View Post
For those of you who opted Hanle Black and plan to purchase the Tubeless spoke RIMS later - Has anyone checked if the wheels will be available in Golden/Yellow scheme or not ? Or there are no words on the wheel colors yet. I know that it's pending for legal clearance but again I'm just curious if the golden color spoked rims will cost more than standard colors.
Only Black is what I was told!
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2023, 20:00   #1035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AulusGabinius View Post
To give perspective, I'm 6'2" with a 34-inch inseam.
thanks for mentioning in seam which is the critical factor for determining seat height vs flat footing the bike. Just mentioning body height is of limited use. I wonder why most influencers ignore in seam.
heinrici is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks