Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2022, 14:08   #106
BHPian

Re: Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models

General question for all those intrigued by these new Yezdi models- would you prefer this over the Dominar 400? At least on paper, the D400 looks to be superior in almost every respect, at a 30-40k premium which seems reasonable for all the extra benefits.

Some of those benefits:
1. Vastly more powerful and tractable engine, with a 0-100 time of 7-something secs, top speed hitting 160, and a deep burbly exhaust that should sound better than the Yezdis/Meteors/CB350s.
2. Larger radial tyres (tubeless compared to Scrambler's tubed) for improved cornering grip on-road. Off-road is a different story altogether, and if one is looking to go off-road, then the Adventure is for you, no questions asked.
3. Suspension setup should be similar to the Roadster/Scrambler, but of course nowhere near as plush as the Adventure/Himalayan.
4. Slipper clutch with Assist, should result in lighter clutch pulls in heavy traffic.
5. Nearly the same weight, give or take a few kilos. Any weight delta of <10kgs is negligible.
6. Kickass looks, although this is totally subjective.

So those interested in the Roadster and Scrambler, or even the Meteor or CB350, would you also consider the Dominar, or will your decision hinge on that neo-retro look and feel?

PS: I don't ride a Dominar, merely interested in people's consideration sets while looking at new purchases

Last edited by Sudarshan42 : 17th January 2022 at 14:19.
Sudarshan42 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 14:39   #107
Senior - BHPian

Re: Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan42 View Post
General question for all those intrigued by these new Yezdi models- would you prefer this over the Dominar 400? At least on paper, the D400 looks to be superior in almost every respect, at a 30-40k premium which seems reasonable for all the extra benefits.

Some of those benefits:
1. Vastly more powerful and tractable engine, with a 0-100 time of 7-something secs, top speed hitting 160, and a deep burbly exhaust that should sound better than the Yezdis/Meteors/CB350s.
2. Larger radial tyres (tubeless compared to Scrambler's tubed) for improved cornering grip on-road. Off-road is a different story altogether, and if one is looking to go off-road, then the Adventure is for you, no questions asked.
3. Suspension setup should be similar to the Roadster/Scrambler, but of course nowhere near as plush as the Adventure/Himalayan.
4. Slipper clutch with Assist, should result in lighter clutch pulls in heavy traffic.
5. Nearly the same weight, give or take a few kilos. Any weight delta of <10kgs is negligible.

So those interested in the Roadster and Scrambler, or even the Meteor or CB350, would you also consider the Dominar, or will your decision hinge on that neo-retro look and feel?

PS: I don't ride a Dominar, merely interested in people's consideration sets while looking at new purchases
We (my son and I) were in a similar position a couple of years or more back when we wanted to buy him his first proper new bike.

The Dominar then too made a strong case for itself with all the points you have listed. But it was not a good looking bike. And it was not a good riding bike.

The Gixxer 250 SF was both, even though spec wise it lost out to the Dominar on paper.

I must say that if we were to have made the purchase today, this Scrambler would have definitely gotten more than one test ride by both of us head to head against the Suzuki.

I must reiterate again, as I have said many times on this forum over the years. A bike is what a rider makes of it. I don't buy into these tight pigeon hole categories and compartments and horses for courses thing.

When I buy a bike, I ride it everywhere, and do everything with it. And my son has grown up seeing that. And has a good feel for a machine, which I've noted over time by our discussions and the stuff he comes up with (its VERY hard for a biker dad to keep quiet on bikes and let his son talk and only listen). So I'm pretty sure he will own and ride bikes in the same way.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 17th January 2022 at 14:53.
ebonho is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 21:21   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan42 View Post

Some of those benefits:

I think the question is moot. If the Dominar doesn't get as much love today, then introduction of the Yezdi twins (yes the roadster doesn't exist for me ) doesn't do anything to raise it's appeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The Scrambler I believe is going to outsell the other two stablemates by a wide margin.

Yezdi may have gone into this targeting the Himalayan.

But they are going to land up with a much larger slice of a much larger pie by the look of things

The Scrambler is going to eat into both Adventure as well as Street Naked / Roadster as well as Retro Chic / Modern Vintage categories.

The only other sexy looking Scrambler available is the Ducati. Many many lakhs north.
What's great is that both the scrambler and the adventure are assailing the Himalayan.
The scrambler of course appeals to the the tourer, the soft roader, the hipster and might I say, the premium commuter and therefore has something for everyone, well almost.
KayEss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 23:04   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayEss View Post
The scrambler of course appeals to the the tourer, the soft roader, the hipster and might I say, the premium commuter and therefore has something for everyone, well almost.
Hipster - very apt.

Now this is much more like it ...

Is it just the rider?

Or is the Adventure geared for the highway, as a pure tourer? The Roadster for urban duties. And the Scrambler for offroading/dirtrodding/trails?

This is a proper 6-7 kmph difference.

Interesting.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 17th January 2022 at 23:05.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 02:35   #110
BHPian

Quote:
I had to Google for who Jezza was. Did not know that was Jeremy Clarkson's nickname. Thank you, that's high praise indeed.

Coming back to the bike, yup, looks like the top end is the same. Here's another video of a guy wringing out a Scrambler on an abandoned airstrip. Same numbers. Crapall launch, but that shouldn't impact eventual top end.

But the bike is proper delicious. The red in other videos was too blingy, millennial yuppy for me.

https://Youtu.be/QWgHjCCj7ck

P.S. Looking at how much traction the Scrambler is getting here and on YouTube, Yezdi is on the brink of a breakthrough.

We might well be looking at the TeamBHP BOTY 2022!

P.P.S. The Yezdi has a beautiful big-bike idle which is clearly heard in this video when the rider thumbs it on.
It doesn't really seem all that much quicker than the Meteor. Also as much as I really want to like this bike, I can't shake the feeling that it looks like a toy bike. I suspect these won't sell as well as the Enfields just yet. RE has a real cult appeal. So many Enfields in films etc. Whether these new Yezdis ever become that large in the public imagination or popular culture remains to be seen (the CB 350 hasn't really been able to, but maybe it's too early to say). I sure hope so, just so that RE have competition and come up with more offerings.
Old 18th January 2022, 10:11   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
A short review of the Scrambler and the Adventure from a Himalayan BS4 owner
Thank you so much for this! One of the best reviews I've read- short, crisp and a great comparison between the models!
Old 18th January 2022, 12:17   #112
BHPian

[quote=Sudarshan42;5237791]General question for all those intrigued by these new Yezdi models- would you prefer this over the Dominar 400? At least on paper, the D400 looks to be superior in almost every respect, at a 30-40k premium which seems reasonable for all the extra benefits.

Been in the market for a bike after a 25 years gap triggered by the looks and refinement of Meteor and the RE revolution in quality upgrade. A long test ride proved it to be too much for the ole vertebrae. Extensive reading up from here, other websites and gouging on all the YouTube videos threw up the usual suspects: KTM Adv 390, Dominar 400, Himalayan and the CB 350 brothers.

The summary of research so far:
  1. Adv bikes' posture and suspension suits people like me (with multiple disc prolapses)
  2. Anything below 300cc feels trivial
  3. Weight is not a problem as long as the distribution is OK
  4. Reliability does matter for people planning long trips
  5. Linear torque and acceleration is better when you are trying to get back in to riding after a long gap
  6. Retro design and thumpy exhaust notes still tug at the heart strings

Loved the looks of new Yezdi offerings including the Roadster. Went around to a nearby showroom yesterday and they only had the Adventure available for display. Felt heavy but well put together. Love the attention to detail and the accessories available even if it's an RE xerox. Looking at the crowd pouring in to chekout the new Yezdis and the initial feedback from YouTube reviewers, these should sell reasonably if there are no reliability issues.

Attaching a review with penchant for detail and a thorough test ride, like this guy's approach
ram1kv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 14:02   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1kv View Post
Attaching a review with penchant for detail and a thorough test ride, like this guy's approach
Even I liked the reviews by this guy (Biker Prakash Choudhary). He let's the bikes do more of the talking. Below are his review videos of the Yezdi Scrambler and Adventure.

Yezdi Scrambler Review - Biker Prakash Choudhary

Yezdi Adventure Review - Biker Prakash Choudhary
AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2022, 14:06   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1kv View Post
Been in the market for a bike after a 25 years gap triggered by the looks and refinement of Meteor and the RE revolution in quality upgrade. A long test ride proved it to be too much for the ole vertebrae. Extensive reading up from here, other websites and gouging on all the YouTube videos threw up the usual suspects: KTM Adv 390, Dominar 400, Himalayan and the CB 350 brothers.
Ram, a contrarian viewpoint for you, maybe you could check it out and see whether it applies.

For a weak back please try out a bike which has a forward lean to the handlebars and foot pegs slightly back. Not too aggressive but forward and backward. This position will put weight on your shoulders and arms, the straight back riding or feet forward (cruisers) position will transmit all the shocks directly to your back.

The Royal Enfield Himalayan from your list is the most comfortable suspension around. If you like the bike with the 21 inch front wheel, it should be perfect for you. In my opinion the KTM 390 Adventure will be too stiff/harsh for you, as will be the Dominar. Not ridden the CB350 twins so cannot offer any opinion.

Do keep the thread updated and happy shopping

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 13:37   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Ram, a contrarian viewpoint for you, maybe you could check it out and see whether it applies.

For a weak back please try out a bike which has a forward lean to the handlebars and foot pegs slightly back. Not too aggressive but forward and backward. This position will put weight on your shoulders and arms, the straight back riding or feet forward (cruisers) position will transmit all the shocks directly to your back.

The Royal Enfield Himalayan from your list is the most comfortable suspension around. If you like the bike with the 21 inch front wheel, it should be perfect for you.

Cheers
Agree 100% with you Cyborg, the relaxed posture of cruisers fooled me in to thinking otherwise. Need to get a long ride of Honda CB 350, Himalayan and the new imposter from Yezdi I'll wait till a few have bought the Yezdi and fed back on the niggles/reliability quotient. Also will take the test ride after the windshield and rearview mirrors are installed by the company.

Most importantly, home office has agreed for a purchase of one of these on the proviso that it will be used regularly. Approaching this with an open mind, the bike that feels right shall be chosen after spending time testing and trialing.

Will definitely report back how the experience goes.
Regards
Ram
ram1kv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 17:30   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

I dropped into the local Jawa showroom to check out the Scrambler. Surprisingly, the Adventure and the Roadster will arrive only on Friday and there is going to be a launch event on that day. Only then will the Scrambler in other colours be brought to the showroom. As of now, the red / silver and green / silver bikes were on display. Test rides will also only begin on Friday. There were a lot of walk ins for the Scramblers. This showroom is otherwise pretty empty.

After checking out the bike for around 20 to 25 minutes, I came out with mixed impressions. Mahindra has done a good job with the Scrambler but there are rough edges that are difficult to miss. I dont know why all these Johnny Come Latelys with their GoPros are raving about the feel of the bike in the showroom.

Here are some thoughts

- The bike looks good but proportion wise, it feels like its half a size down. Taller riders will look awkward on it in their Instagram updates.
- Maybe its because I have seen more mainstream bikes than Mahindra bikes, but the depth of the paintjob and the finishing of it, feels a lot more premium on the Honda CB350 / Royal Enfield Classic 350 etc. I recently spent some time with the Apache RR 310 and the paint job on that is world class. On this front, the Yezdi Scrambler, isnt even close to its competition.
- The seating position is quite comfortable and the bars are at a nice, easy to reach position. It feels very natural and easy to get used to but the seat is surprisingly hard.
- I found it awkward to put my foot down, while simulating a stopped at a red light condition. My feet kept fouling with the footpegs. Im used to stretching my feet forward on my Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 but on the Scrambler, the only comfortable position is to keep my feet behind the foot pegs.
- The execution of the digital dash is very impressive. The fonts and layout looks gorgeous. Good job!
- The front brakes are by Bybre.
- The rubber gaiters at the front look like they are of poor quality.
- The finishing on some parts is sub par.
- The headlight looks nice but the Yezdi sticker on it will fall off by the end of your first monsoon with the bike.
- The switchgear is par for course. The left side switches should have been built with a bit more tactile feel. It was almost like pressing the buttons of a fake Nintendo console pad.
- The levers are non adjustable and could have been of better quality. It looks like it is shared between all the Jawa / Yezdi bikes.
- The rear suspension is by Gabriel and comes with multi step adjustment for preload.
- The welding under the seat is super ugly and was equally bad on all 4 bikes in the showroom.
- The rear is a tale (tail?) of two cities. The top half looks nicely executed. But the rear mudguard looks ungainly and takes away the visual appeal of the bike.
- I would immediately get a tail tidy and throw that heavy mudguard in the dustbin.
- Im not a big fan of all the stickerwork on the bike. It would look a lot better with a clean look.
- The mirrors are fine but I would take the bar end mirrors from the Jawas instead and remove the stock ones that come on the Scrambler. You can be guaranteed of an additional 50 likes on Instagram.

Prior to seeing the Scrambler, I hoped that the quality levels that Mahindra had exhibited with the new BSA Goldstar prototypes, would be evident in the new launches. Unfortunately, it isnt.

But despite these rough edges, I am still quite impressed with what Mahindra has pulled off with the bike. Kudos to them for coming out with a unique offering that the competition has shied away from. For Rs 2.77 L on road, I am quite intruiged by the bike and am waiting for the test ride next week.

There is a genuine buzz about the Scrambler in the market today, and I only wish that Mahindra had spent that additional 5% of time, effort and money, to make this bike look and feel more premium.

Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-1.jpg
Only 2 staid colours on display right now. Where are the yellow and orange versions?

Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-2.jpg
Side profile is nice in person.

Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-3.jpg
The best angle for the bike?

Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-22.jpg
Would look a lot better with these bar end mirrors. Just saying.

Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-4.jpg
Side by side.

Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-5.jpg
Side by side.

Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-6.jpg
Bybre brakes at the front.

Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-7.jpg
Unsightly rubber gaiters.

Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-8.jpg
Yikes! Super poor finishing.

Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-9.jpg
Hard buttons on the left.

Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-10.jpg
Right side switchgear.

Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-11.jpg
Fantastic execution.

Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-12.jpg
Leg hits the footpeg on the left side ...

Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-13.jpg
... and the right side, as well.

Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-14.jpg
Welds could have been neater.

Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-15.jpg
That sticker will fly off when you least expect it.

Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-23.jpg
Rear will be cleaned up by most riders.

Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-16.jpg
Mudguard looks functional but unattractive.

Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-17.jpg
Awful welds under the seat. All the bikes had it IIRC.

Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-18.jpg
On another bike (slightly blurry though)

Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-19.jpg
Hard seat. I would have preferred slightly softer cushioning on it for regular users.

Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-20.jpg
Very nice!

Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-21.jpg
That paint work looks like a roadside mechanic did it.

Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-24.jpg
Exhaust with catcon.

Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-25.jpg
Engine guard.
neil.jericho is offline   (57) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 12:11   #117
BHPian

Found this fairly informative video on the navigation function in the Yezdi Adventure.

Looks to be well executed!
AlQuazi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 12:27   #118
BHPian

It's great to see so much action in this space.

With the new Yezdis I have noticed one thing about the bike's design - Nothing seems to line up like it should. None of the lines are made to follow any real direction. It seems like a bunch of parts put together to make the three bikes.

Look at all the new Royal Enfields or even the Jawa, you will find simple details that make it all line up well and yet these newer Yezdis lack it.

I for one can't seem to wrap my head around this. Am I wrong?
adrena is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 09:19   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Scrambler looks yummy in the pics, getting excited about a bike (that I can actually afford) after a long time. Will head down to the showroom for a test ride once the initial jazz has died down.

Some pics of the Scrambler show a tiny luggage rack-type thing in the rear. Other pics show a plate with holes. What's the difference? And do they provide options?

Does that beak like double mudguard in the front help? Can it be removed? (Thanks in advance for any info.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I dropped into the local Jawa showroom to check out the Scrambler.
Another extremely useful report, thanks for this.

Quote:
I had to Google for who Jezza was. Did not know that was Jeremy Clarkson's nickname.
Great to see you back on the Motorcycle section of the forum Doc!
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 16:08   #120
BHPian

Quote:
We (my son and I) were in a similar position a couple of years or more back when we wanted to buy him his first proper new bike. The Gixxer 250 SF was both, even though spec wise it lost out to the Dominar on paper.

I must reiterate again, as I have said many times on this forum over the years. A bike is what a rider makes of it. I don't buy into these tight pigeon hole categories and compartments and horses for courses thing.
When I buy a bike, I ride it everywhere, and do everything with it.
Cheers, Doc
Very well said Doc. So did you buy Gixxer 250 SF back then? If yes, how is its performance and the suspension? I have a Gixxer 155 SF and like it very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Not ridden the CB350 twins so cannot offer any opinion.

Cheers
Fully agree. I have experienced it. Have lower back problem, started biking at 45+ with my 1st bike ever (Gixxer 155 SF) with the problematic lower back, almost 5 years back. Enjoying riding it, without any problem, precisely because of its seating posture and riding ergonomics are what Cyborg has mentioned above, though suspension is a bit stiffer. Cruisers with legs stretched forward, are a big no for people with back problems. Himalayan, Adv. type of riding stance is best.

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd January 2022 at 06:07. Reason: Back to back posts merged
LongDrive lover is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks