Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2007, 22:45   #46
Senior - BHPian

Dude, Get a junk Roadking with papers and substitute the bike.

And yeah, I didn't tell you this.

Last edited by kuttapan : 27th August 2007 at 22:45. Reason: spelling
Old 28th August 2007, 11:32   #47
BHPian

I had a Roadking, which I bought new somewhere between 93-95 can't remember exactly, but man what a bike, I have owned a RD 350 as well, but the best memories that I have are with the Roadking, used to do a lot of wheelies on it, and the bike is pretty power full. It's a pity one can't buy these gems anymore. The best way to discribe these bike is simple and fantastic engineering.
Old 28th August 2007, 12:18   #48
BANNED

This bike is still with you in running condition?
willing to keep for ever?How many Kms you did till date now on her?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodhogan View Post
i got an yezdi 350 from the shutdown factory in 2003 for 12k. built it our of parts that were lying around in the factory on the assly line and in the stores. it has run 198kms (155 of it from mysore to bangalore) but unfortunately it cannot be registered! hey but what the hell, i love it and i still sneak a ride once in a way on sundays. only prob its got a dc ignition. once the batt is down, no way of starting that beauty. pity but at least i still got one !
Old 28th August 2007, 15:05   #49
DRC
BHPian

Hmmm... Sweet memories of the school days..
My Dad owned 17 of them one after the other.. from 81 till 92 thats almost one every 6 months...

I really enjoyed spinning its front wheels when it was on stands as a kid..
Myself and all my cousins used to sit on it while on stand and go on a virtual tour...

Finally, I learnt to ride a motorcycle on an Yezdi! One saturday afternoon, when I was 14, locked my mom in the house from out side, sneaked the bike out with my friend, pushed it till its racket was not audiable to mom, there we go.....!

I rode an Yezdi to tutions and college till my +2, then switched to a Kawasaki Bajaj.

I almost had forgotten about an Yezdi, till I went to visit my dad this sunday.. To my surprise, my brother had gifted my dad an another Yezdi roadking.... !!!

Road king is dead, Long live the king of roads..
Old 28th August 2007, 15:17   #50
BHPian

The yezdi / road king brings back old memories. I owned about 4 of them in sequence between '88 and '97. I always used to buy a piece of junk then build it up use it for while and sell it off. I have done Ooty, Kodai, Munnar from Bangalore with my missus as pillion and no one else for company. Not for once did the bike let me down.

I remember doing the Kalahatti ghati on the way to Ooty once all alone in the evening. I was on my way to Mettupalyam for a friend's marriage. I did it via Ooty just so that I could do the ghats.
Its true Yezdis that too the ones with the short handle were the easiest to throw in a curve. I had to practise a lot to do the foot peg scraping on my bullet later.

The mechanics of the yezdi was so simple my mechanic and me some real funny mods to it. On one I'd fixed the front forks of an RD350. Changed one to 12 V by simply changing the alternator to one taken out of a KB 100. Just for the heck of it once we had changed the carb from a RX100 with larger jets as the Jikov carb used to flood without any reason.
My mechanic had taught me how to use the auto clutch and ride with out using the clutch. It was fun showing off to friends how to do it. The other fun thing was to pivot on one foot and turn the bike around. Can't forget an Yezdi for anything.

BTW how to insert a pic? I have a neat one with my friend sitting behind his 12 yr old son the kid is now 16 and manages fine on his pop's 500cc bullet.

Ride / drive safe
Old 5th October 2007, 09:51   #51
BHPian

A peep into Yezdi factory and R&D - Pics shot in 2002

Bump. Was thinking of posting photos shot by a friend of mine who is a big time Jawa/Yezdi enthuisiast (He is also a t-bhpian)

These were shot in late 2002 after the factory was sold with many of its items still inside. That was a sort of boom time for enthusiasts who went on to procure many parts for their bikes and sometimes full bikes. A glimpse into the factory gives a view of what the company was and what it could have been.

The demise of the marque is one of the most tragic events in Indian biking scene, although many had seen it coming...

Tanks..Anyone ?

Looks like something prepped up for army use. With attachments for Saddle bags etc. Notice a Colt in the background. Also a Jawa and some of a touring bike (my guess)

Shape of new Sidecar to come ? Notice the moto bike in the background as well

Abandoned engine

Plans for making Auto rickshaws ?

For track racing. Notice unusually large Rear sprocket

Cafe Racer project ? Note that it is a CZ. Also the size of front brake drum...

Scooter project...

Couple of neat Yezdi Monarchs

Yezdi 350 cc twin ? Notice unusual handlebar placement..

More shopfloor pics..This one seems to be a Dyno.

Notice the immaculate Rims and Handles...

350 Twin Engines...

Assembly line pics. Its appalling to see the bikes being abandoned midway in the build. Looks like a ghost factory...

Last but not least..Spares...Notice the swanky alloy..

Cap for the Carburettor where the throttle cable gets in..

Silencers ...Alas the factory itself is silenced now

cheers
Bullfrog
Bullfrog is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2007, 10:47   #52
Senior - BHPian

It really hurts to see the state of the factory.
A great loss indeed for the automobile industry.

The pictures depict a story in itself.
Old 5th October 2007, 11:48   #53
BHPian

I have a "lump in the throat" feeling.
Old 5th October 2007, 12:27   #54

Hey Bullfrog...

Those two "monarchs" are actually 350 twins. One of them still belongs to me

Have we met btw? Some of those pics look quite familiar
... and tats Addu bhai with the blue/white bazon...

Sandeep
Old 5th October 2007, 13:07   #55
BHPian

Nostalgia! I learnt to ride on this bike and what a bike it was. A Yezdi from yonder years. Bought in 1976 by Dad and is still in use. It has done something like 2 lakh + kms and still runs . Wonder how many bike marques in the world can claim to build a bike like that?

Last edited by thefreak : 5th October 2007 at 13:09.
Old 5th October 2007, 13:49   #56
BANNED

Bullfrog really feeling down man, feeling like some one very close to me left all in sudden :(.
Specially these lines "Silencers ...Alas the factory itself is silenced now"
Any info what happen to these remaining bikes and their spare parts.
Old 5th October 2007, 21:41   #57
Senior - BHPian

Most bikes were sold off, some spares too...Rest of the spares were powdered..Building razed down...land sold...

Sad end of a good company....

But some of us are proud owners of the last of the YEZDI Clan....The legend lives through us...

Last edited by kuttapan : 5th October 2007 at 21:41. Reason: spelling
Old 5th October 2007, 22:44   #58
BHPian

That's a sick bunch of photographs !! It feels really really bad to see Yezdi's condition and end ... though I've never owned one !!
Old 8th November 2007, 17:50   #59

I still ride my Jawa 350 to work everyday. Matter of fact I own four of them. One 1987 Jawa 350, one 1962 Jawa 350 twin, one 1968 250 single and the one whose pic is posted "for track racing" that and the 1962 are being restored currently.
Old 8th November 2007, 18:51   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

How did I miss these? As sad as it looks, am really glad someone managed these terrific photos. Sigh...Rust in Pieces.

Nice to see you here Rohit. We'd would enjoy seeing pics of your projects as they progress.

Cheers
Karl

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks