Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2024, 19:33   #76
BHPian

Re: Honda NX500 to be launched in India soon. Edit: Launched at 5.9 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Just a few thoughts to help with this thinking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
Look forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks

Honda NX500 to be launched in India soon. Edit: Launched at 5.9 lakhs-1.jpg

Honda NX500 to be launched in India soon. Edit: Launched at 5.9 lakhs-2.jpg

Honda NX500 to be launched in India soon. Edit: Launched at 5.9 lakhs-3.jpg

Honda NX500 to be launched in India soon. Edit: Launched at 5.9 lakhs-4.jpg

My world of owning a Honda CB500X ownership – was in fact amongst the first 2 owners in India. This is for those who are thinking of buying one…

Here's a my take on what it's like to own and ride this versatile machine albeit with some humour:
  • The Adventure Illusion: Owning a CB500X makes every ride feel like a grand adventure. Even if it's just a trip to the grocery store, you mentally prepare for the off-road expedition through the treacherous terrain of Bangalore’s speed bumps.
  • CB500X Language: You start speaking in CB500X code. "I'll be home in 20 minutes" actually means "I found a longer route and will be taking at least an hour."
  • Mod Fever: You catch the modification fever. You start with a new crash bars, luggage racks, top case, hand guards, foot rest, shock absorbers and suddenly your CB500X looks like it's auditioning for a role in a Sholay sequel without the side car .. Who knew a practical adventure-touring bike could turn into a post-apocalyptic masterpiece?
  • Gas Station Celebrity: At gas stations, you become a celebrity. People are genuinely curious about your bike, and you find yourself giving impromptu tours, explaining the intricacies of your highly advanced cup holder (read gas tank : kitna dete hai).
  • Fuel Efficiency Boast: You boast about your fuel efficiency to every rider you meet. It's not a competition, but if it were, you'd be winning. You secretly judge those who need to refuel more frequently – "Amateurs!"
  • Smooth Gear Changes : Achieving those buttery-smooth gear changes puts you in a state of zen. It's the motorcycling equivalent of finding inner peace, and you're the yogi of the asphalt, one with your bike and the open road.
  • Indestructible DNA: The CB500X's engine wasn't built; it was forged in the fires of Mount Reliable. Legend has it that the engineers sprinkled a bit of unicorn dust on the blueprint for that extra touch of magic durability. The CB500X engine laughs at the mere concept of breaking down. It considers roadside assistance an insult to its mechanical prowess.
  • Rainy Day Dilemma: Rainy days become a moral dilemma. Do you protect your pristine CB500X from the elements or take it out for a slippery adventure?.
  • Packed Lunch Under the Seat: You discover the joy of storing random items under the seat. It's like your own tiny storage unit – very small snacks, a spare pair of socks, and that mysterious tool you've never used but insist on carrying. Its certainly small but who’s complaining….
  • Noise Complaints: Your neighbours complain about the revving noise. Little do they know; you're just testing the horn, which sounds suspiciously like a caffeinated duck. Honk honk! Needs to be either replaced on put to sleep forever.
  • Uphill Struggles: Uphill struggles become a metaphor for life. Your CB500X might not be the fastest uphill, but it's a trooper, just like you. You both huff and puff your way to the top, victorious in your own right.
  • Cost : At the price I bought this price is a steal. Long terms asserts also come at a cots and this is a keeper bike through my bifocals of course...
In the world of CB500X ownership, every day is a comedy ride filled with quirky adventures and the joy of being part of the CB500X family. So, gear up, strap on your helmet and let the laughter-filled journey begin! May the chase of sunsets and rainbows be endless. The soul of any ADV warrior is always eternal so ADV Warrior let your eternal soul lead the way through the untamed landscapes and the endless possibilities of the open road!

PS: Have ridden almost all ADV styled bikes in India right from the GS , Tiger and down to the new Himalayan – this is most rider friendly motorcycle you could buy today amongst them all, one that is also guaranteed to put a smile every time you take it out of the garage. It can ride forever on that frugal sipping behavior - something that no other bike comes close to. In one word it’s the most "forgiving" of them all. However ownership cost is always subjective and is person driven and perceived value driven.

Last edited by ShivC : 21st January 2024 at 19:50.
ShivC is offline   (78) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 12:41   #77
BHPian

Few years back, I would never consider myself a potential customer of this bike. But having used and liked the refinement of a CB350 for over a year and still finding myself fit and craving for long rides, I have almost made up my mind that a reliable adv touring bike will be my next bike. And unlike 10 years ago, I am fortunately in a position to afford bike like this. But what worries me is this:

The number of Cb500X sold seems to be very minimal looking at how dry the used bike market is. And I suspect the same will be the case for the NX500 too. This usually results in spare parts being unavailable or very expensive, which I believe has been reported by people. Solid reliability notwithstanding, how do I tackle this problem if I ever own one of these?
prakash_ajp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 14:37   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
The number of Cb500X sold seems to be very minimal looking at how dry the used bike market is. And I suspect the same will be the case for the NX500 too. This usually results in spare parts being unavailable or very expensive, which I believe has been reported by people. Solid reliability notwithstanding, how do I tackle this problem if I ever own one of these?
Even I ride a CB350 and have an eye on NX500 as the next logical upgrade. I am a fan of the engine refinement in the CB350. The main reasons I am open to an upgrade are need for some power at 100+kmph and wind protection at such speeds.
In addition to spare parts/accessories and service network availability, what makes me rethink NX500 are how long would 500cc keep me happy and how soon would I get an itch to upgrade to a 650/1000cc bike.
night_eagle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 15:00   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
NX500 (and the CB500X before it) doesn’t fall under the BigWing big bike category. It will be sold and serviced across all the regular BigWing dealerships in the country, along with the 350 range.

Only the 650s and above will be restricted to Big Wing Topline.
I enquired from Nashik Bigwings a few days ago, as per them they're neither going to sell the NX500 nor service them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkcloud View Post
If you want one bike that can do it all, you can't go wrong with a multi-cylinder middle weight ADV.
You've gotta ride it once to realise the chasm that lies between a twin cylinder ADV and a single cylinder short stroke ADV like the H450, 390ADV etc. Last time round I missed the CB500X by the proverbial whisker! By the time I got around to the dealer they were all gone, this was after the price correction. The launch price now is similar to the corrected price hithertofore. Can't really see any reason why it shouldn't sell more than at least the Versys 650, which BTW sells in two figures monthly!

Last edited by graaja : 22nd January 2024 at 17:24. Reason: Minor typo
windiesel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 18:11   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyD View Post
Vstrom 650 has been discontinued in India since March 2023 when OBD2 changes (BS 6.2) were implemented.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
I am also trying to understand if we can expect Honda to provide a good long-term after-sales service.
  • How’s members' experience here on regular servicing, spare parts availability etc?
  • How’s the track record of Pashankar Honda in Pune from a Big Wings perspective?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivC View Post
[list][*]Indestructible DNA: The CB500X's engine wasn't built; it was forged in the fires of Mount Reliable. Legend has it that the engineers sprinkled a bit of unicorn dust on the blueprint for that extra touch of magic durability. The CB500X engine laughs at the mere concept of breaking down. It considers roadside assistance an insult to its mechanical prowess.
However ownership cost is always subjective and is person driven and perceived value driven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
  1. Considering that this is sold in India via the CKD route, and that it's being sold in fewer numbers, and that there is tech such as the e-clutch...
    Can one maintain this bike (servicing, spare parts) even if this unit is no longer sold / is discontinued in India? Can it be serviced/maintained in non-ASC centers?
    Would be eager to hear from anyone with such ownership experience...not necessarily of only this bike.
  2. Would be interested to hear a more detailed ownership/maintenance experience.
  3. Does anyone have a link to a detailed technical review of this bike? (Mechanical, Electrical, Electronics, build, durability, safety tech, etc.)
Old 23rd January 2024, 00:30   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Those people not being a majority was the reason why the CB500X, launched in March 2021, barely sold till February 2022 and the last of the ~100 units imported was sold off with 1.1 lakh (ex-showroom) discounts before FY end.
I’m not smart with money and hence I genuinely don’t know if Honda has overpriced the NX500 or not.
When I compare it to the price of the Versys 650 and Tiger 660Sport (both multi cylinder ADVs), I find the price to be fine.
But what I do know is that whoever got the CB500X even at the higher pricing is extremely happy with it.

I understand 50,000 or 1,00,000 lesser for it would be great. But if you ride the motorcycle for even 30000kms and you feel you paid a lakh more for it, you’re paying only Rs. 3.3 more per km. If you ask me, that’s absolutely worth the happiness and fulfilment per KM, a good motorcycle will give you!

Disclaimer - This is assuming someone can afford to spend around 6 lakhs on a motorcycle. If you’re stretching your budget to the limit or breaking the bank to reach 6 lakhs, then this won’t work. The maintenance and other eventual expenses will risk souring the ownership experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
You've gotta ride it once to realise the chasm that lies between a twin cylinder ADV and a single cylinder short stroke ADV like the H450, 390ADV etc. Last time round I missed the CB500X by the proverbial whisker! By the time I got around to the dealer they were all gone, this was after the price correction. The launch price now is similar to the corrected price hithertofore. Can't really see any reason why it shouldn't sell more than at least the Versys 650, which BTW sells in two figures monthly!
I know of this chasm as I own the Xpulse and a R1200GSA. But I find them both fantastic, so no complaints there! Each has its own place in my riding needs.

If I had to choose between the NX500 and the Versys650, I’d definitely go for the former.
Darkcloud is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 16:00   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristComesSoon View Post
  1. Considering that this is sold in India via the CKD route, and that it's being sold in fewer numbers, and that there is tech such as the e-clutch...
    Can one maintain this bike (servicing, spare parts) even if this unit is no longer sold / is discontinued in India? Can it be serviced/maintained in non-ASC centers?
    Would be eager to hear from anyone with such ownership experience...not necessarily of only this bike.
  2. Would be interested to hear a more detailed ownership/maintenance experience.
  3. Does anyone have a link to a detailed technical review of this bike? (Mechanical, Electrical, Electronics, build, durability, safety tech, etc.)
1. You can maintain a superbike in India even after its discontinued. Regular maintenance parts should not be a problem. There are FNG (non ASC) in many cities now which cater to superbikes. Maintaining good relations with the service manager at the nearest ASC helps while ordering parts. Sometimes particular technology or parts are impossible to repair and very difficult to procure. You have to be at peace with this. I order spare parts through Dream Suzuki Pune for my vstrom 650. Likewise, you'll have to talk to various bike owners or visit service centres of various brands to get an idea. Going through threads for different bikes on this forum will also help.

2. This forum has many ownership reports of bikes that are discontinued and yet ridden & maintained by their riders. There are threads for restoration of bikes that are super rare not just in our country but the entire world.

3. I don't have any direct link. Search on your preferred search engine or YouTube or wherever you fancy. There are multiple websites, YouTube channels, publications available online.

[BONUS]4. All the questions you raised are genuine however I request you to go through the Owning a superbike in India thread. Making peace with some uncertainties and inevitabilities is integral to owning a superbike in India. Buying a superbike may not be a sensible, financially prudent decision. It's heart over head most of the times. Watch videos / read articles of Shumi on powerdrift / overdrive / MotorInc on Owning a superbike, managing maintenance, allocating budget for all superbike things etc. (these videos are India specific and are related to your queries)
If after a couple of months of research you are still left with any apprehensions, I would strongly suggest you to consider whether you will actually be able to enjoy your superbike experience. If you're undecided, stick to mass production bikes.

Not associated with any shops, YouTube channels, individuals, brands mentioned above in my reply.

Ride safe
samyD is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th January 2024, 13:09   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_eagle View Post
Even I ride a CB350 and have an eye on NX500 as the next logical upgrade. I am a fan of the engine refinement in the CB350. The main reasons I am open to an upgrade are need for some power at 100+kmph and wind protection at such speeds.
In addition to spare parts/accessories and service network availability, what makes me rethink NX500 are how long would 500cc keep me happy and how soon would I get an itch to upgrade to a 650/1000cc bike.
I think the CB 350 might be the most refined single cylinder bike in India. All throughout the rev range it is very refined, which is quite unusual for a single.
V0rtex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2024, 11:11   #84
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

My guess is they went the CBU route to test the market before they localize it . I think this is what they did to the CB 300 R

I am guessing if the volumes are promising , they will just skip CKD and localize it entirely

Nevertheless, I am happy Honda has been listening to feedback and has priced it in bracket that will at least make people think and not be completely shocked like how it happened when they launched the 500X couple of year back. Full marks to Honda for that.
ashwinbalachand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2024, 11:47   #85
BHPian

Having been there done that in the world of super bike ownership-
1. This is the closest you’ll get to owning a luxury German in India (if u don’t have one). Be prepared for hefty bills (if you don’t do diy servicing/repair).
2. Zero dep insurance lasts only for 5 years. You are on your own thereafter
3. The most reliable of bikes are also susceptible to rats, vandalism and the occasional fall. Parts will cost a bomb and take time to come even for the best selling bikes. (3-6 weeks for rims etc). Hence I’ll never buy a cbu only or a low selling bike.
4. You cannot break your head always with insurance reps who can be mighty illogical and obstinate.
5. You cannot park your bike everywhere and go anywhere in the city without attracting undue (and sometimes unwanted) attention. Quickly gets tiring.
6. You cannot look for logic in most decision making
7. After 3 years, you quickly wonder why you didn’t pick up a preowned one at 60% of the price.
8. The one thing that single handedly overcomes all these is the smile on your face when you ride it.
Enjoy it while it lasts
handsofsteel is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th January 2024, 12:00   #86

For a minute I thought I was reading my own story. Been going through the same dilemma. Having been riding a BS3 Himalayan for almost 8 years and close to 50k kms, I've been looking for a worthy upgrade for over a year now.

Booked the Scrambler 400x in June 2023; took a test ride and loved the built quality and that tractable engine but decided to wait for the Himalayan 450. Went to test ride it with high hopes, but came back disappointed with the engine. Don't get me wrong - it is a brilliant bike in every other sense. But for me that engine asks too many gear shifts down the RPM range for my liking.

I started looking at KTM 390 Adv and even the new Duke 390. And that's when I heard the rumors of Honda planning to launch the NX500 in India. I was expecting them to price this one outrageously, as they have done so often in past. Then came the price announcement and I almost jumped out of my chair in joy! Although I was looking at bikes almost half the price of this one, I ran some quick calculation and realized I could afford this without breaking the bank.

I live in Bangalore and since the RTO is still not issue BH registration to private sector employees, decided to get the bike from Pune, where I lived for a couple of years. Called the Bigwing Pune East (Pashankar) and booked the bike with 25k on 19th January ( although the official booking amount is Rs. 10,000). I asked for the on-road price the next day and they sent me a quotation of Rs. 7.45L. Apparently, Maharashtra levies a road tax of 20% on CBU bikes.

I enquired at BigWing showrooms in Gurgaon, Delhi, Puducherry, and Dehradun - they quoted 6.50, 6.80, 6.41, and 6.50 respectively. Now I am in a bigger dilemma - where to buy the bike from. My hometown is Faridabad, but Haryana RTO is in the same boat as Karnataka - not issue BH registration to private employees. I have families or friends in other places and can get the bike from any of the locations mentioned. Puducherry is closest for me, but the guy on the phone didn't sound keen on selling the bike.

He also mentioned they'll receive the bike in their showroom some time in March and deliveries will start much later. Showrooms in north will receive them at the end of January and other places in 2nd week of February.
on2wheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2024, 12:32   #87
BANNED

7.5 onroad Bangalore
Old 29th January 2024, 13:08   #88
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Just browsed through this thread and interesting to read various opinions and thoughts on the NX500.

Its been a while since i bought a new bike and the itch is growing. I had pinned my hopes on the Himalayan 450 but am not yet fully convinced about that bike. It is still very much under consideration but here comes the NX500 to make decisions messier.

BACKGROUND:
I have been riding a 310GS (2018, 55k kms), an interceptor 650 (2019, 30k kms) and an Xpulse 200.

310GS is my daily work horse, and does fairly well on weekend rides as well which is mix of highways, trails, some off-roading, etc. Its served well and still in very good shape, except the typical single cylinder issues or vibes, under-powered feeling, exhaust note, etc. It does not sell in numbers, so the feeling of exclusivity is there. Also the bike looks good in my eyes.

Interceptor 650 is my love rebound for a 650 twin post parting with my Versys 650 due to health reasons. Its a bike which i have modified a fair bit to make it versatile for relaxed long hours on the saddle, and some off-roading as well. But at the end, we can only achieve so much with mods.

Xpulse 200 was bought for weekend trails around town where one could try things off the road which one would not dare on a heavier and expensive bikes. Xpulse has its limitations in single pot and unrefined engine, highway capabilities, etc.

I was looking at Himalayan 450 as a possible replacement to the 310GS. With NX500 in offering now, there is line of thought which says sell the interceptor and the 310GS both, and get the NX500. I guess the NX500 would be able to do what both these bikes offer.

USE CASE:

Most of my weekends are spend riding to places which offers trails, and off-roading opportunities. My riding involves biting more than i can chew and frequently results in dropping the bike or subjecting it to environment where scratches, dents, bends, damages are likely. This works with 'not so expensive' to maintain bikes like the GS, interceptor and the xpulse, but i may hesitate to go to such places on the expensive NX500.
But i also know that if i do get the NX500, i would be going to such places, dropping the bike on trails and slush, and am not sure how that will turn out to be.

DILEMMA:

* The 310GS will have a poor resale value (mine is first batch, where it was much expensive to begin with).
* Even with combined sales of these two bikes, i may still have to additionally put in more then half the amount of the what the NX500 could cost on road in Bangalore.
* some basic assessors would be additional and those are again unreasonably expensive.
* At present, i have other financial commitment as well which means i am looking at part loan in case i go with NX500. So its the fight inside the head for a 'no brainier' Himalayan 450 vs the 'double the cost' of NX500.
* I have never owned a Honda before so not aware of their after sales service, spares availability, costs etc.
* I like how the NX500 looks.

Looking forward to other members thoughts on this tussle.
nasirkaka is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th January 2024, 13:19   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
USE CASE:

Most of my weekends are spend riding to places which offers trails, and off-roading opportunities. My riding involves biting more than i can chew and frequently results in dropping the bike or subjecting it to environment where scratches, dents, bends, damages are likely. This works with 'not so expensive' to maintain bikes like the GS, interceptor and the xpulse, but i may hesitate to go to such places on the expensive NX500.
But i also know that if i do get the NX500, i would be going to such places, dropping the bike on trails and slush, and am not sure how that will turn out to be.

Looking forward to other members thoughts on this tussle.
The H450 is the better pick for your use case. You have to consider the availability of spare parts along with the costs involved if you plan on taking the NX500 off road regularly. If you manage to bend something like a handle bar, or damage the body work on the trail, the CBU factor might be a drawback.
b16h22 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2024, 14:26   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyD View Post
[BONUS]4. All the questions you raised are genuine however I request you to go through the Owning a superbike in India thread. Making peace with some uncertainties and inevitabilities is integral to owning a superbike in India. Buying a superbike may not be a sensible, financially prudent decision. It's heart over head most of the times. Watch videos / read articles of Shumi on powerdrift / overdrive / MotorInc on Owning a superbike, managing maintenance, allocating budget for all superbike things etc. (these videos are India specific and are related to your queries)
If after a couple of months of research you are still left with any apprehensions, I would strongly suggest you to consider whether you will actually be able to enjoy your superbike experience. If you're undecided, stick to mass production bikes.
The tag "superbike" is what worries me. We generally associate superbikes with lot of negatives with respect to maintenance, upkeep etc. Even if I can afford a low fuel economy and maintenance, I just don't want to go down the path of scouting or waiting for spare parts. If it wasn't for the CKD or CBU path, this bike could have offered us a very reasonable middle ground between the Enfields, CB350s and the 650CC+ bikes. Unfortunately, it wasn't meant to be.

I also don't agree with the theory of Honda testing the waters. The profit they get from the 100 odd units is not going to worth anything. besides, I doubt they will learn much from importing a hundred bikes and selling them at some profit.
prakash_ajp is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks