Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2024, 23:33   #61
BHPian

Re: Honda NX500 to be launched in India soon. Edit: Launched at 5.9 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but only the VStrom in its category currently right?

Cheers, Doc
Vstrom 650 has been discontinued in India since March 2023 when OBD2 changes (BS 6.2) were implemented.
samyD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 05:22   #62
BHPian

I'm surprised at how many people here are bashing the NX500 purely on the pricing and before having even ridden it.
I'm sure there will be people willing to pay a premium for a refined twin cylinder ADV. Not everyone wants to buy a Himalayan even if it is cheaper.
As for our country, there's no beating the ADV format. If you want one bike that can do it all, you can't go wrong with a multi-cylinder middle weight ADV.
Darkcloud is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 07:56   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
If the detuned 790 aka 650 comes through as suggested online by Pierer Himself and made in India, well that will really set the cat amongst pigeons.
IIRC it was this interview itself where he mentioned that 500 is too low to propose any significant value to the customer but talk about 650 and we can do a lot of things(not verbatim). This discussion is a reflection of what he said IMHO.
The question I am left with is that if the newest player in the segment has this understanding, why haven't the veterans come to this conclusion which makes common sense ?

For the multi cylinder cost, if I can get a 400cc in line four at the same cost as that of a 650 twin from the same manufacturer and in the same format will take the 4. But that's how far I can go. Others may be more courageous

Last edited by shancz : 21st January 2024 at 08:00. Reason: added multi lines
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 12:11   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
For the multi cylinder cost, if I can get a 400cc in line four at the same cost as that of a 650 twin from the same manufacturer and in the same format will take the 4. But that's how far I can go. Others may be more courageous
But it's not the same format right? One's a super sport or sport touring and the other is an upright ADV motorcycle. Am I missing something?

I am in no way justifying the price of the Honda!

Last edited by Red Liner : 21st January 2024 at 12:13.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 12:16   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
But it's not the same format right? One's a super sport or sport touring and the other is an upright ADV motorcycle. Am I missing something?
Of course it isn't. That was a generic statement on multi cylinders and the ones I had in mind was Ninja ZX4R vs Ninja 650 at overseas prices.
My bad, should've marked it as OT.

Last edited by shancz : 21st January 2024 at 12:17. Reason: acc model
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 12:20   #66
Senior - BHPian

Honda seems to be avoiding calling it a fulll blown adventure motorcycle! 3 places, 3 slightly different descriptions.

Quote:
All-new ‘NX500’ adventure tourer
Quote:
This modern street adventure motorcycle is a testament to our unwavering commitment to innovation and offers pure riding thrill.
Quote:
Directed by the design theme of ‘Daily Crossover’, wherever it goes – city block, winding road, highway or gravel trail – the NX500 looks the part, wearing new style that has an amalgamation of compact adventure-style usability with an imposing silhouette
5.9L is a great price for a CBU but the question with Honda has always been how many will they actually allot?

Also, I have a feeling that this price won't hold for too long either.
Old 21st January 2024, 12:53   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkcloud View Post
I'm sure there will be people willing to pay a premium for a refined twin cylinder ADV. Not everyone wants to buy a Himalayan even if it is cheaper.
Those people not being a majority was the reason why the CB500X, launched in March 2021, barely sold till February 2022 and the last of the ~100 units imported was sold off with 1.1 lakh (ex-showroom) discounts before FY end.

Now the bike is back after two years. Hope the market has matured further now - thankfully the pricing also is much better than the original.

That said - i think the market has matured much more in the last two years. People have learned to accept a 4L price tag for a Himalayan - and there are many who will be looking to upgrade from the KTM 250 Adventures / Suzuki VStrom 250s / Old Himalayan 411 etc. For many of these people, a twin could be way more desirable than another single cylinder motorcycle.

I'm really looking forward to a Aprilia Toureg 457 - that motor on the Aprilia is absolutely fantastic and can give the Honda a proper complex. Riding the sportbike - I was wondering how good the motor could suit a more relaxed bike as well - and the Touno followed by the Toureg is inevitable IMHO. There are videos in social media for the 457 picking up cleanly from idle in 4th gear - it's that much of a gem!

And if they can get the pricing right as they did currently- then game on!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 13:03   #68
BHPian

I’ve been waiting for the bike for a long time. For background information, see this previous post of mine (New Motorcycle Advice | Does a do-it-all bike exist?) Many had suggested the CB500X, but it wasn't available at the time, and there was complete radio silence from Honda. I’m glad that they have finally launched it. The NX500 checks almost all my boxes, except perhaps the price.

I’ve been looking at all the other available options this past year.

Triumph Speed/Scrambler duo: I seriously liked the idea of these budget-friendly options and was the first to prebook one in June 2023. The Speed turned out to be a disappointment (Triumph Speed 400 Review), but the Scrambler seemed nicer, some shortcomings notwithstanding (Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review). I waited for the new Himalayan which was just around the corner then.

New Himalayan 450: Upon personally checking it out, I realized it's not for me. Things that don't work for me include its looks, questionable reliability, heavy weight, and it doesn't feel like a do-it-all bike. All subjective opinions, and maybe I’m just a snob

I also checked out some more expensive options such as Versys 650, Triumph Tiger Sport 660, Ducati Scrambler etc. All were great bikes that covered their respective niches well. But they are also very pricey, exceeding 9-10 lakhs on-road. I'm not considering the Aprilia for my use case, due to its more committed riding posture and concerns about long-term reliability, among other things.

This is where I think Honda has studied the market well. The bike kind of sits at a sweet spot - in my opinion, there is no other bike comparable to this south of 5 lakhs. They know there are no good options in the 5 - 8 lakhs range either if a customer wants a 2+ cylinder engine, a well-rounded, well-engineered global product.

Things that work well for buyers who can spend a little extra:
  • Global product - previous iteration is tried and tested and critically acclaimed.
  • A proven two-cylinder engine which produces sufficient torque and power for my needs.
  • Honda Reliability - better engineered and superior in terms of looks, fit, and finish.
  • Do it all bike - with any other bike like the Triumph Scrambler or Himalayan, I would have developed the itch to upgrade in 3-4 years, but this one can be a keeper for 10+ years.

I think closer to 5 lakhs ex-showroom would have been the ideal price. In the future, Honda might go the CKD route increase localization, and lower the prices. But in the meantime, I am trying to decide whether to wait further or go ahead now. Basically, I am trying to justify to myself whether the ~1 lakh premium is worth it.

I am also trying to understand if we can expect Honda to provide a good long-term after-sales service.
  • How’s members' experience here on regular servicing, spare parts availability etc?
  • How’s the track record of Pashankar Honda in Pune from a Big Wings perspective?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks!
MandarMax is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 14:52   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbosailor View Post
While browsing through HMSI website notice they have removed CB650R / CBR650R. Are they getting ready to launch their updated editions or discontinued
Possible launch in Feb/March - 2024. The E-clutch version is a big possibility. Dealer mentioned that Honda is planning to launch a Big Bike Each month this year.

Dec - Transalp XL750, Jan - NX500

As is the usual case this info to be taken with a bag of salt as Honda keeps dealers in the dark most of the time.
skviknaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 16:22   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
The question I am left with is that if the newest player in the segment has this understanding, why haven't the veterans come to this conclusion which makes common sense ?
Exactly! Right pricing could make this the Activa of the sub 500cc Adv motorcycle world.
Old 21st January 2024, 17:06   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
  • How’s the track record of Pashankar Honda in Pune from a Big Wings perspective?
Is Pashankar authorized for bigger capacity bikes? I was considering the CB650 some months back and had contacted them. At which point they said that the bigger bikes are sold only in Mumbai dealership.

So they will take the booking but bike delivery will be via Mumbai. And servicing is also done in Mumbai!
Old 21st January 2024, 17:37   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Is Pashankar authorized for bigger capacity bikes? I was considering the CB650 some months back and had contacted them. At which point they said that the bigger bikes are sold only in Mumbai dealership.

So they will take the booking but bike delivery will be via Mumbai. And servicing is also done in Mumbai!
NX500 (and the CB500X before it) doesn’t fall under the BigWing big bike category. It will be sold and serviced across all the regular BigWing dealerships in the country, along with the 350 range.

Only the 650s and above will be restricted to Big Wing Topline.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 17:51   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
NX500 (and the CB500X before it) doesn’t fall under the BigWing big bike category. It will be sold and serviced across all the regular BigWing dealerships in the country, along with the 350 range.

Only the 650s and above will be restricted to Big Wing Topline.
Here in Bengaluru, Banashankari Big Wing didn't take calls for NX500. Only VM road Top Line answered and taking booking as well.
Old 21st January 2024, 18:59   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz2010 View Post
Here in Bengaluru, Banashankari Big Wing didn't take calls for NX500. Only VM road Top Line answered and taking booking as well.
Not sure why! May you have been unlucky with an unaware dealer or SA.

Bangalore has more than half a dozen options for dealers:

Honda NX500 to be launched in India soon. Edit: Launched at 5.9 lakhs-screenshot_20240121_185555_instagram.jpg

Honda NX500 to be launched in India soon. Edit: Launched at 5.9 lakhs-screenshot_20240121_182544_instagram.jpg
Old 21st January 2024, 19:12   #75
BHPian

Visited Pashankar Honda today on JM Road and booked the bike with Rs. 25,000 booking amount, fully refundable. Display bike(s) and hopefully test rides are expected to start in about 10 days.

They informed me that they already have 10 bookings. I visited with 2 other friends - both significantly more experienced riders than I am - and the 3 of us went ahead with the booking almost impulsively.

Delivery is expected in February. They are not taking colour preferences yet for some reason, but my choice would be red, followed by white.

This is my third bike booking in 2 years. I didn't go ahead with the previous two - Ultraviolette and then Triumph, but I mostly intend to go ahead this time. Afterall, third time's a charm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
NX500 (and the CB500X before it) doesn’t fall under the BigWing big bike category.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
As mentioned above, Pashankar is already taking the bookings, and as @CrAzY dRiVeR has pointed out, I think this is only true for bigger capacity bikes.

Last edited by MandarMax : 21st January 2024 at 19:13.
MandarMax is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks