Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2023, 21:58   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post

Hope the Scrambler in flesh and blood appears little more substantial than the Speed 400 which I felt was puny, to say the least.
For sure, the Scrambler has much better road presence. I think if you’re not in a rush, and depending on your use case, you should definitely check out the new Himalayan 450 as well. Both these will of course have a very distinct character and both are likely to be capable in their own distinct way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar3223 View Post
Usage being around 60km commute in sparsely dense free flowing b roads and weekend trips of around 200-400km with a mix of highways, city roads and broken trails leading up to remote destinations.

With the service interval advantage, low/mid range torque and off road ability, does 400x present itself as a superior bike over a Duke 250 with say Apollo tramplrs or mrf mogrips?

How strongly is a stretch to 390 recommended for this use case?
I don’t have any experience with most of the options you’ve listed so I don’t have a comparison perspective. But I think for your use case, the Scrambler will do quite well. Its a nippy bike and ideally suited to the kind of riding you’ve described. Having said that, the new Duke 390 is just incredible and will feel a clear notch above overall. If you can make the stretch to that it may be well worth it - it will be a whole lot of fun on most of the highways and there’s no reason it won’t handle mild trails that you’ll encounter last mile. Ride each one and take a call on which one talks to you in terms of the ride experience.

If you’re going for the Scrambler 400X, swapping out to better tyres should definitely improve the overall experience. The stock do the job but just about I reckon.

Last edited by Axe77 : 21st October 2023 at 09:54. Reason: Minor language edit.
Axe77 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 09:07   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar3223 View Post
How strongly is a stretch to 390 recommended for this use case?
I think this is going to be a complete preference thing.

The Duke 250 is a much sportier beast than the Speed 400 in terms of feel. The Speed is a sort of in-between between the Classic 350 and the Duke 390. Similar power on tap, but reluctant to actually use it. The Scrambler is the same, but more room and more comfy ergos than sporty ergos.

The Duke comes with a ton more tech, but it's a question of do you really need or want it all? Compared to the Scrambler/ Speed, the extras are cornering ABS & TC, Bluetooth, navigation and all that comes with a TFT, ride modes, a quickshifter. Shocks are more sporty, overall more streetfighter version.

If you do value all of that, that's pretty much a personal choice. I'd be coming from an older RE, so I don't think I'd really bother with all the tech. ABS, TC, switchable if needed (and if I know how to use that properly,), relaxed ergos and a decent bit of performance are fine with me, along with the relaxed feel of the engine.

About the coolant reservoir being low, I think the bash plate is protecting it well enough, but I suppose we'll find out.

Last edited by Axe77 : 21st October 2023 at 16:32. Reason: Some spacing and paras for ease of readability.
AulusGabinius is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 11:25   #33
BHPian

I visited the dealer in New Delhi yesterday to check out the bikes. They did have Scrambler on display but test ride was being offered only for Speed 400.

Took a short 5 Km test ride of the Speed as they were not very sure about the availability of Scrambler test rides.

Lots of rush at the dealership, so dedicated Q&A was not possible.

Also, Triumph is coming up with a dealership in Noida, but nobody knows the opening date, even customer care of Triumph does not know!!

Anyways, since the booking is fully refundable, I booked online the green color today.

Waiting begins.

Last edited by Axe77 : 23rd October 2023 at 12:41. Reason: Minor typos fixed.
Abeer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 22:18   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I think their interim stated goal is to have 100+ dealerships (assume there will be several cities which will have multiple dealerships) by about March 2024.
Some good news at last.
Kolkata gets its second Triumph outlet.
OSL Auto Private Limited at VIP road near Baguiati opened up last month.

Hope they spread their wings towards Siliguri and Guwahati also.

Last edited by aviator1101 : 24th October 2023 at 22:44.
aviator1101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 16:54   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
Some good news at last.
Kolkata gets its second Triumph outlet.
OSL Auto Private Limited at VIP road near Baguiati opened up last month.

Hope they spread their wings towards Siliguri and Guwahati also.
Yes, good news. Hope they get at least one in as big a state as Uttar Pradesh . The news is that one is coming up in Lucknow soon!! Let's see when it happens.
Old 27th October 2023, 14:52   #36
BHPian

Scrambler test rides are now available at the Delhi dealership and deliveries will start from the 1st week of November
Old 28th October 2023, 14:45   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Yes, good news. Hope they get at least one in as big a state as Uttar Pradesh . The news is that one is coming up in Lucknow soon!! Let's see when it happens.
Yes. I had a talk with some JSV Triumph Lucknow, he said it should be open around Diwali. His mobile number is 945178666. I am also waiting.
pskanp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 18:28   #38
BHPian

Today I managed to snag a test ride of the Triumph Scrambler 400 X at B U Bhandari, a day ahead of the official test rides. The bike looks well-proportioned, and is more substantial compared to the Speed 400.

Being 5'8", I found the height comfortable. Although I couldn’t flat foot, the height didn't pose any issues. The riding position felt ideal, allowing a good command over the bike without compromising comfort.

I took it along Pashan road and a bit on the highway. The suspension felt very comfortable with its ability to handle the poorly built Pune roads and speed-breakers (or pedestrian crossings or whatever ill-thought-out thing they are ) at varying speeds. I felt at ease within the first few hundred meters itself, which speaks volumes about the bike's handling and comfort.

The engine's torque is good for its size. It’s not explosive but very tractable in various situations, making it easy to manage. The bike cruises comfortably at speeds of 80-100 km/h, but pushing beyond that felt a bit strained. However, within this range, riding was enjoyable and left me smiling.

I think it’s great for beginners but also has enough to satisfy seasoned riders looking for a second bike. The engine didn’t emit much heat, which could be due to the cooler temperatures or perhaps it was abused less before I started my ride.

The test bike was Khaki green. Other bikes were under wraps, awaiting formal launch, but I managed a sneak peek at all colours. I liked the red variant more. With deliveries expected from mid to late November, the wait isn’t too far off.

The test bike had a broken front brake lever and the handlebar was slightly off with loose mirrors. The hand guards were missing, and I’m unsure if they were removed due to damage by earlier riders (I heard that two riders had falls earlier today ). These issues raises concerns regarding the durability and how minor mishaps could affect the bikes in the long run.

Overall, the Scrambler was a pleasure to ride, and can be a very good bike particularly for shorter rides (~300 kms or so) and even for daily commuting. I’m also wondering whether to wait for the upcoming RE Scrambler before deciding. That being said, I have no real issues about the Scrambler, the engine and ride felt very well refined, overall, it was an enjoyable experience and now I am inching closer to a purchasing decision.

Last edited by MandarMax : 28th October 2023 at 18:38. Reason: Fixed typos
MandarMax is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 18:49   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
Today I managed to snag a test ride of the Triumph Scrambler 400 X at B U Bhandari, a day ahead of the official test rides.
Superb review Mandar. Very well put and agree with your observations and the way you’ve summed it up.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2023, 12:30   #40
BHPian

Any news on delivery for those who have booked the 400X, i had enquired with Keerthi triumph and the chap was least bothered and unsure of when the delivery would commence.
Old 2nd November 2023, 13:09   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aston_martyr View Post
Any news on delivery for those who have booked the 400X, i had enquired with Keerthi triumph and the chap was least bothered and unsure of when the delivery would commence.
What I had heard in Mumbai (should hold good elsewhere too) was that the first lot of bikes and deliveries should happen prior to Diwali - i.e first week / 10 days of November. The second lot is likely to come maybe post Diwali.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2023, 12:14   #42
BHPian

Quote:

I’ve checked with Khivraj Triumph ECity and they said it’ll take 3-4 weeks after you pay the full amount.

This is a new showroom that opened in Sep. The Manager Chetan and the staff were helpful during my visit there.
aashikf1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2023, 12:46   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
What I had heard in Mumbai (should hold good elsewhere too) was that the first lot of bikes and deliveries should happen prior to Diwali - i.e first week / 10 days of November. The second lot is likely to come maybe post Diwali.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aashikf1 View Post
I’ve checked with Khivraj Triumph ECity and they said it’ll take 3-4 weeks after you pay the full amount.

This is a new showroom that opened in Sep. The Manager Chetan and the staff were helpful during my visit there.
Thank you. I had another run in again with Keerthi triumph, this time with some success they mentioned that it would take 15 days after making the full payment.
I am planning to wait until the end of this week for the H452 launch and review and make a decision. I am assuming most of us if not all are in the same boat?
Old 5th November 2023, 17:23   #44
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to wait until the end of this week for the H452 launch and review and make a decision. I am assuming most of us if not all are in the same boat?
I'm going to be in the market next year by around August or so, and I'll probably be choosing between the Scram 452 and the Scrambler 400x. If it's anything like the current Scram vs. the current Himalayan, it should be completely comparable to the 400x in every way. On pure mechanicals I'd take the Scram over the 400x for the torque. It's only 3 Nm more, yes, but still.
Old 5th November 2023, 22:43   #45
BHPian

Dear All,

For the past few months, I've been actively searching for a 250cc+ motorcycle with the primary purpose of commuting to my office and occasional short distance tours (~100km). The daily drive to work has become a hassle, and using a scooter started causing severe back pain, especially because one-way travel takes 1.5 hours one way with 30 minutes of stop-and-go traffic. Being slightly heavy and 6 feet tall, the scooter is far from comfortable.

I used to own a Pulsar 200 (2008), which was an absolute joy to ride within the city, on open roads, and even over rough patches. However, I had to part with it a few years ago because I hardly used it, and I thought someone else could benefit from it.

Recently, I had the chance to test the Triumph Speed 400, and I was genuinely impressed with the ride. It was a thrilling above 2000rpm and an ease in traffic with a smooth clutch. The quality and finish of the bike were excellent, but my only concern was its size. It looked quite small with me sitting on it.

Subsequently, I waited for the Triumph Scrambler 400x and found the test ride to be very satisfying. Despite encountering heavy traffic and bad road conditions, I felt no discomfort similar to the speed400. The 400cc engines at low speeds and higher gears don’t struggle at all, making them a great choice for city riding. I’m trying to decide between the speed and scrambler.

However, I'm open to suggestions and advice from fellow riders to help me make the best choice.

PS: I've also tested other bikes like the old Himalayan, Classic, Hunter, Meteor, RTR 310, and the older KTM 250 (with plans to test the new one). Each of these bikes serves a different purpose, and while I understand their individual strengths, I'm primarily focused on comfort and handling along with power when I need it.
aashikf1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks