Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2024, 10:49   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review

Pune dealership is offering a limited edition Speed 400X. I watched this episode on YouTube and the bike looked damn cool. The extra charge is about 15K, but looked splendid in gold.
@Senotrius: Regarding alternatives to Barkbusters, I have tried a few but none are as good. Was just not that comfortable.

Last edited by Sebring : 4th March 2024 at 10:52.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2024, 11:53   #137
BHPian

I am observing the stalling issue again. Especially in the mornings.. it is stalling at least 2 to 3 times

Done 5700 kms now. ECU was updated at around 2000 kms, and the stalling was stopped since then. But now it is back again.

Anyone else observing it? Quite irritating
Old 5th March 2024, 12:33   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Pune dealership is offering a limited edition Speed 400X. I watched this episode on YouTube and the bike looked damn cool. The extra charge is about 15K, but looked splendid in gold.
Not able to find it on Youtube. Please share the video link of this one.
Old 5th March 2024, 13:32   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMatters View Post
I am observing the stalling issue again. Especially in the mornings.. it is stalling at least 2 to 3 times

Done 5700 kms now. ECU was updated at around 2000 kms, and the stalling was stopped since then. But now it is back again.

Anyone else observing it? Quite irritating
I guess this issue is mostly affecting 1st lot of bikes. My bike was bought two weeks ago (2024 model) but hasn't stalled once. I dropped my bike for the first service, I spoke to 2 Scrambler 400X owners, one had bought it in December and the other in January. They both reported the stalling issue has reduced but hasn't stopped completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
Not able to find it on Youtube. Please share the video link of this one.
Here you go
prasathlr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2024, 14:53   #140
Senior - BHPian

A short review after riding the Scambler 400. Reference bikes compared include KTM 390, ADV 390, Int 650, Himalayan new

The good
- Excellent engine and has very good torque in all gears
- Comfortable seating and riding position
- Wider handlebar makes it easy to ride around
- Excellent power that most won't need or use it
- Throaty exhaust note. Liked this exhaust note over all the above bikes
- Good front brakes.
- Decent or similar to KTM like rear brakes. Himalayan has the best brakes.
- Can keep up with most bikes in this segment when riding as a group
- Far more comfortable than the speed 400.

The so-so
- Engine vibrations are high at higher RPM making it difficult to cruise above 100 comfortably
- The most comfortable zone is 85-95kmph where the bike excels
- Lacks outright top end of the Ninja or R3 or acceleration of the KTM.
- Seats are a bit narrow for long rides.
- Tall people may need some handlebar risers

Overall:-
This was a pleasant surprise and this engine has completely different characteristics to the other 390 and Himalayan. The bike can be run in 4th gear at any speed inside the city making it very comfortable. Even in highways slowing down in highway in 6th and continuing is not a problem. Excellent balance and can hit triple-digit speeds in a short time. Extremely poised at speeds between 85-95 and can keep up with most of this segment bike. Top speed comparable to the ADV but slower than KTM and Himalayan.

Feels like a perfect balance between the Duke and Himalayan.

KTM needs to be revved like you want to remove the engine casing bolts. Himalayan has a laziness as well as a vibration that makes it no different to the KTM. This engine balances both at the right RPM.

Loved the bike overall and would recommend this for first-time buyers if they are considering this segment as a no-brainer.

Last edited by VW2010 : 5th March 2024 at 14:55.
VW2010 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th March 2024, 19:30   #141
BHPian

Finally, I experienced the "infamous" service of Triumph. I gave my bike for the first periodic service. The Traction Control and ABS has been lit up since I bought the bike. The showroom informed that these lights will go away after the 1st periodic service.

I dropped my bike in the morning and went to collect it in the evening to notice that the lights were still on. I highlighted it to the SA who then tried to update the software. Even after multiple tries he was not able to resolve it. He asked me to visit the service center again and that they will have to unplug the ABS cable to verify it. I was already frustrated at this point.

On the way back home, I checked if rev-limiter was disabled but it was not. Now, I am having doubts if they even actually changed the engine oil + filter. It feels as if they might have just washed the bike and handed it over. They are more interested in selling accessories than fixing the bikes.
prasathlr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2024, 11:01   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasathlr View Post
Finally, I experienced the "infamous" service of Triumph. I gave my bike for the first periodic service. The Traction Control and ABS has been lit up since I bought the bike. The showroom informed that these lights will go away after the 1st periodic service.
Do you mean when you switch on the bike? That's normal and if not its definitely a problem you need to get it looked at. Also this reasoning of everything will be normal after first service is something that we should not accept.

Quote:
I dropped my bike in the morning and went to collect it in the evening to notice that the lights were still on. I highlighted it to the SA who then tried to update the software. Even after multiple tries he was not able to resolve it. He asked me to visit the service center again and that they will have to unplug the ABS cable to verify it. I was already frustrated at this point.
Unsure which service center you had the appointment with. Please mention the same for others to be vary of.
I have visited the Kanakapura service center for first service, software update, accessories installation and had a pleasant experience except for accessories availability. I always get the early morning slot and ensure that i am the first one to arrive so that they attend to my vehicle on priority. I stay there for an hour or two max, watch the service and take the vehicle. If you opt for a water wash it may add 30 more mins.

As for the ABS issue, should have stood your ground there and not taken the bike until the issue was sorted. Not sure about your personal situation/time availability on that day, but just saying.

Quote:
On the way back home, I checked if rev-limiter was disabled but it was not. Now, I am having doubts if they even actually changed the engine oil + filter. It feels as if they might have just washed the bike and handed it over. They are more interested in selling accessories than fixing the bikes.
Rev- limiter is automatically removed after you cross 1000km on the ODO. For example my vehicle was at 1041km when i dropped it for first service and the rev limiter was no longer active at the time.
Also for folks who do not intend to stay back in the service center the technician records the video of the oil change, you might want to check with your SA for that.
About your last point, i never get the accessories i want when i visit the service center . Please share the details so that i can check with them.
Do keep us updated on the issue at hand.
aston_martyr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2024, 11:12   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridesbysky View Post

Logistics: 1500

These are the mandatory charges dealer is quoting now. Problem is in both Delhi and NCR there is same dealer only.
Upon registering complaint with Triumph customer care on online portal, the showroom waived off the logistic charges. However, eventually the bike booking was cancelled as my friend bought a different bike. But, posting this for the benefit of others. It can save you a full tank of fuel if you see it that way
Ridesbysky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2024, 16:56   #144

Hi all, Can anyone guide me on how to check the manufacturing year based on the chasis and engine number for scrambler 400x? I have got mine but unable to find any details regarding that.
Old 6th March 2024, 19:21   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aston_martyr View Post
Do you mean when you switch on the bike? That's normal and if not its definitely a problem you need to get it looked at. Also this reasoning of everything will be normal after first service is something that we should not accept.
I had given the bike to Khivraj Whitefield service center. On two occasions, the rear locked up. The SA told to ride carefully since tires will lock up because the ABS light was always on. According to him and the manual, the ABS light should turn off after exceeding 10kmph.

In my case, ABS light and Traction Control disabled warning light is always lit up. They returned the bike at 6.15PM and were already closing the service center plus I had to take the bike for some other personal reasons. I informed them I won't able to return for couple of days. Will be visiting the service center some time this week.

Regarding the Rev-Limiter, I met a guy who had come to the service center to the remove the rev-limiter as it was not removed after the first service. So, I was under the assumption that rev-limiter was to be removed by the service center. Interesting to note that the rev-limiter will be auto removed after 1000 kms. It wasn't mentioned anywhere in the manual
Old 6th March 2024, 20:13   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasathlr View Post
I had given the bike to Khivraj Whitefield service center. On two occasions, the rear locked up. The SA told to ride carefully since tires will lock up because the ABS light was always on. According to him and the manual, the ABS light should turn off after exceeding 10kmph...
Can try a different service center if feasible. But prioritise this, I don't need to tell you about our road conditions. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited by graaja : 7th March 2024 at 09:22. Reason: Trimming quoted text. Please quote only a small or relevant part of a post
Old 8th March 2024, 02:46   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshKanna View Post
Hi all, Can anyone guide me on how to check the manufacturing year based on the chasis and engine number for scrambler 400x?
Check the sticker behind the headstock to the right. If the tenth letter is R, it is a 2024 make.
meetarin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 09:07   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshKanna View Post
Hi all, Can anyone guide me on how to check the manufacturing year based on the chasis and engine number for scrambler 400x? I have got mine but unable to find any details regarding that.
Please check this useful post for VIN decoding

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...e-scooter.html (Find the date of manufacture (VIN) of your motorcycle / scooter)
Old 11th March 2024, 12:32   #149
BHPian

I came across these really good looking custom paint on Reddit.
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-img_4839.jpeg  

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-img_4838.jpeg  

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-img_4837.jpeg  

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-img_4836.jpeg  

prasathlr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 14:02   #150
BHPian

Yellow looks amazing for Scrambler as well as Speed. If these are factory painted on order with extra cost while buying, they should advertise it on their official Instagram page.
Ratan Prabhu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks