Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2023, 00:12   #46
BHPian

Re: Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review

I have picked Scrambler 400X in matt green shade yesterday. Loved the seat height (I am 6ft.), seating geometry, comfort over bad roads, good power delivery and overall fit n finish however it has some ugly weld joint (visible below the rear seat) and stock headlights are absolutely useless. I am planning to upgrade to Maddog Alpha, any better suggestions ?
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-img_20231105_184651_179.jpg  

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-img_20231105_193307_199.jpg  

Turbo Head is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 07:49   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
stock headlights are absolutely useless. I am planning to upgrade to Maddog Alpha, any better suggestions ?
If you can wait for sometime then get the Vaishnu headlights: https://vaishnu.com/headlights-for-bikes/

As triumph uses circular headlamps I hope they will be launching it soon as they have for all other bikes which use circular headlamps.
advstreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 21:08   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashikf1 View Post
The daily drive to work has become a hassle, and using a scooter started causing severe back pain, especially because one-way travel takes 1.5 hours one way with 30 minutes of stop-and-go traffic. Being slightly heavy and 6 feet tall, the scooter is far from comfortable.
OT: Are you sure you would want to do such long hours on a two wheeler at all? Even I have similar commute and have been using office cab since offices opened (twice a week for us).

If office cab facility stops (am dreading it might from 2024 if recession continues, cost cutting and all), I will probably have to look for on-demand chauffeur services (like DriveU). After driving for 1.5 hours in peak Bangalore traffic you barely have any energy left for working & two wheelers in such traffic on regular basis might prove fatal for the back in the long run.

Last edited by Axe77 : 10th November 2023 at 06:24. Reason: Minor spacing edits.
Old 8th November 2023, 18:37   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashikf1 View Post
For the past few months, I've been actively searching for a 250cc+ motorcycle with the primary purpose of commuting to my office and occasional short distance tours (~100km). I've also tested other bikes like the old Himalayan, Classic, Hunter, Meteor, RTR 310, and the older KTM 250. I'm primarily focused on comfort and handling along with power when I need it.
The RTR and KTM have committed riding postures and might not suit you since you have already developed mild back pain issues.

Among the Royal Enfields, the Meteor and Himalayan would provide you with max comfort, but compared to the Triumph, their clutch is way too heavy and these bikes are focussed more towards touring and would not be very comfortable propositions for city commute.

So, of all the bikes that you mentioned above, the Scrambler 400x would suit your requirements best IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
I have picked Scrambler 400X in matt green shade yesterday.
Heartiest congratulations on your new purchase. Do share your experiences with the Baby Scrambler.

Quote:
I am planning to upgrade to Maddog Alpha, any better suggestions ?
Maddog Alpha are auxiliary lights, suggest please check whether there are spare connectors in the wiring harness. Otherwise it's a new bike and splicing of original wiring harness might void the warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by advstreak View Post
If you can wait for sometime then get the Vaishnu headlights
If this is a direct plug-in into the original wiring, it's a better option. Cannot comment on the quality though.

Last edited by Axe77 : 10th November 2023 at 06:24. Reason: Minor spacing edits.
aviator1101 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 20:13   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post

Maddog Alpha are auxiliary lights, suggest please check whether there are spare connectors in the wiring harness. Otherwise it's a new bike and splicing of original wiring harness might void the warranty.

The Maddog lights do not require splicing of wires. They are connected to the battery directly.

Only a lead from the ignition will be required to be taken so that it works only when the ignition is on. There usually will a couple of spare points in the connection to the headlight to take ignition status.

Alternatively, you can make use of this Posi-tap fittings found here.
Old 9th November 2023, 00:59   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
If office cab facility stops(am dreading it might from 2024 if recession continues, cost cutting and all), I will probably have to look for on-demand chauffeur services (like DriveU). After driving for 1.5hours in peak bangalore traffic you barely have any energy left for working & two wheelers in such traffic on regular basis might prove fatal for the back in the long run.
That’s so true. But with a 2-wheeler I’ll save 30min at least one way. Want a bike that is fun to ride and comfortable for short weekend rides and daily commute. Honestly after a lot of test rides of different bikes in this range, I’m now between the speed and scrambler.

Quote:
So, of all the bikes that you mentioned above, the Scrambler 400x would suit your requirements best IMO.
Thank you Aviator1101 for the advice. Spot on with the KTM and RTR310, I felt the same.

Scrambler or Speed is what I’ll mostly be going ahead with (Scrambler being the more preferred choice as it is a little more comfortable for my height).

Last edited by libranof1987 : 9th November 2023 at 08:17. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Kindly use the Edit/Quote+ functionality to quote multiple posts.
aashikf1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2023, 19:42   #52
BHPian

Just wanted to paste here below post for everyone's benefit which I also shared in the Speed 400 Official Review thread.

For Team-BHPians residing in Noida (NCR region), a new Triumph showroom has opened which is located between Noida Sector 15 and Sector 16 metro stations just next to Ola showroom.

They have Speed 400 and Scrambler 400 X bikes on display. As per SA, bigger engine capacity (CC) Triumph models will also be available after sometime.

Test rides will begin from 15th November.

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-pxl_20231113_104100799.mp2.jpg
Bhupesh_2628 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 09:36   #53
BHPian

Travel & Bite seems to be bashing the Scrambler around what looks like a beginner-to-intermediate trail, and it seems to be working pretty well! Added to the RevZilla video when they took them to Umling La, I think the Scrambler will prove to be enough off-road friendly for the majority of casual riders and occasional trail riders. Until the Scram 450 comes out, which probably won't be until the second half of 2024 given that RE still has to launch the Enduro variant of the Himalayan (if that's along with the spoked tubeless wheels, could be March 2024). So far so good!

AulusGabinius is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 19:35   #54
Senior - BHPian

Revzilla's Zack on the Scrambler he's been riding in the Himalayas ... this time in our traffic. An American riding on the left.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 17:45   #55
BHPian

Finally, North East India gets its first Triumph outlet at Guwahati.

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-img20231121wa0080.jpg

Well done Triumph. Finally you are reaching out..
Old 28th November 2023, 18:22   #56

Congratulations to all who have already got Scrambler 400x.

I also have booked the same with Matt green color at Ahmedabad and I have received call for PDI. However I have one concern regarding Insurance amount.

Triumph gives ICICI Lombard (10 years of tie-up as mentioned by dealer) zero dep + PA cover insurance which is of 26,900 Rs. Compared to similar value products like Harley Davidson 440X mid variant, new RE Himalayan (21-22k) it is very high.

I tried to check Acko and policy bazaar - insurance value comes around 19.5k.

I would like to understand why Triumph has higher insurance amount? Has anyone taken Triumph motorcycle insurance other than ICICI Lombard?

Last edited by Axe77 : 28th November 2023 at 19:34. Reason: Minor formatting / spacing edits.
Old 28th November 2023, 22:11   #57
pv5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast21 View Post
I would like to understand why Triumph has higher insurance amount? Has anyone taken Triumph motorcycle insurance other than ICICI Lombard?
Mine is from oriental (done by the dealer) came to Rs. 23,490 for the speed 400. Now that I check it, the IDV is Rs. 2,21,350. Didn't notice it at the time of purchase. Also please note, it is 19k odd without GST. Please confirm that in quote before going for DIY route.
Old 29th November 2023, 06:50   #58
BHPian

Visited Speed Triumph Kolkata a few days back again purely for a relook at the touring capabilities of the Scrambler 400x.

In my personal opinion, the seat of the Scrambler 400x is also of almost the same length as the Speed 400. The only differences are :-
  • The seat of the Scrambler is split
  • The riders seat is wider and longer and better padded than the Speed 400x
  • This seating arrangement compromises on the available length of the pillion seat.
My use case being 80-90% touring with pillion and luggage, will wait for the test ride of the Himalayan 450. In case I find the seating arrangement to be better in the latter, will cancel the booking for Scrambler 400x.
aviator1101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2023, 10:04   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My use case being 80-90% touring with pillion and luggage, will wait for the test ride of the Himalayan 450. In case I find the seating arrangement to be better in the latter, will cancel the booking for Scrambler 400x.
I haven’t ridden the Himalayan and can’t speak for any 1.0 issues with the RE - but for the above use case, I think the Himalayan will fit the purpose much better. It’ll just feel more substantial, roomier for both rider and pillion as well as luggage. The suspension of the Scrambler is really good but I suspect the Himalayan will be a step ahead of that as well with its Showa set up. Good luck with the test ride and do post your feedback on the Himalayan thread once you’ve had a chance to ride it.

Personally, for my own purpose (I hardly ever ride with a pillion) - I found the Scrambler absolutely perfect and love it for its lighter weight which lends it a nice nimble, flickable character.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2023, 13:02   #60
Team-BHP Support

Got my Scrambler 400X delivered over the weekend and did a nice maiden ride today from Pune to Mumbai.

Use case:
I expect the use case to be mostly solo (occasionally city use pillion with my son / wife); mostly city use + some Sunday rides specially where we’re going off-roading to places where I’d rather take a nimbler, lighter bike than the 1200 cc Multi; perhaps also the occasional ride in the mountains with guided tour folks like xplorearth, Goodwind Motors or similar.

Accessories installed:
At the time of delivery:
- Barkbusters
- Flyscreen
- SP Connect phone mount (same one I use on my Multi so that the phone holder is cross compatible)
- Kriega loops to mount my kriega US series bag/s.

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-img_8153.jpeg

Above and below: At the showroom during delivery

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-img_8161.jpeg

Clockwise from top left: phone mount, flyscreen, Kriega loops, Barkbusters handguards
Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-img_8868.jpeg

Outside Wadeshwar @ Baner, Pune
Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-img_5866.jpeg

Somewhere on Bhor ghat
Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-img_5869.jpeg

Back home, parked alongside its stablemate
Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-img_5876.jpeg

Last edited by Axe77 : 3rd December 2023 at 18:39. Reason: Added pic. Close up of accessories
Axe77 is offline   (44) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks