Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2024, 11:45   #151
BHPian

Re: Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review

Booked the Scrambler 400X last weekend! Hopefully the delivery will be in the coming weekend. Really excited to have this in my garage.
meetarin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 11:53   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshKanna View Post
Hi all, Can anyone guide me on how to check the manufacturing year based on the chasis and engine number for scrambler 400x? I have got mine but unable to find any details regarding that.
If the 10th character is P then your bike was manufactured in 2023. So, I guess Q means 2024.
prasathlr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 14:22   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetarin View Post
Booked the Scrambler 400X last weekend! Hopefully the delivery will be in the coming weekend. Really excited to have this in my garage.
Does anyone have review of this headlight grill? I heard there are visibility hindrances for the OEM grill, so I was thinking if this would be better.

https://carbonracing.in/collections/...scrambler-400x
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-screenshot-20240315-2.21.07-pm.png  

meetarin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 17:57   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetarin View Post
Does anyone have review of this headlight grill? I heard there are visibility hindrances for the OEM grill, so I was thinking if this would be better.

https://carbonracing.in/collections/...scrambler-400x
What is the point of such a grill? It is a dust collector though and is a hindrance in cleaning of headlight glass.
Old 16th March 2024, 18:25   #155
Team-BHP Support

The Scrambler is fast becoming my steed of choice for weekend commuting within the city specially when I don’t have my driver available. Had to meet someone in Bandra today for breakfast and then was meeting another friend who’s just joined Navnit BMW Motorrad.

Just love taking the Scram around for these trips - specially if its congested areas like Bandra etc. where traffic and parking both are an issue.

On the overall changes / customisations to my Scrambler.

- Barkbusters handguards
- Removed saree guard
- OEM small windshield
- Tyres upgraded to Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR
- OEM high mudguard (wrapped in white)
- Wrap on the side plate with the number 16.
- SP Connect phone mount.

On the bike itself, it’s performing fine so far. It’s got a few updates including for the stalling issue. Physically, I just discovered a small dink on top of my tank earlier today. It can only be some object which might have fallen on it when it was parked somewhere. I cant find any other explanation for the minor dink as my building parking is in the basement; it’s not open to sky.

Here are some pictures from today morning’s ride and a couple from a Sunday morning ride to Alibag earlier this month.

Outside Boojee Cafe. A perennial weekend favourite if in Bandra and not town.
Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-img_7376-copy.jpeg

At Navnit Motorrad
Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-img_7381-copy.jpeg

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-img_8617-copy.jpeg

Above and below: @Alibag, by the beach. Out riding and back by RORO.

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-img_7240.jpeg

Last edited by Axe77 : 19th March 2024 at 03:19. Reason: Re-uploaded 2 pics (trying some photo editing)
Axe77 is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 20:51   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Good to see a followup update. I for one was looking to upgrade to the Pirelli Scorpion Trail since the Rally STR did not come in the stock size. Are you still on the 100/90 R19 and 140/80 R17? If yes please do let me know where one can source the tyres from. Atleast in Bangalore I could not find the size we need.

Also how are they holding up?

Last edited by Axe77 : 31st March 2024 at 13:03.
aston_martyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 21:13   #157
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aston_martyr View Post
Good to see a followup update. I for one was looking to upgrade to the Pirelli Scorpion Trail since the Rally STR did not come in the stock size. Are you still on the 100/90 R19 and 140/80 R17? If yes please do let me know where one can source the tyres from. Atleast in bangalore I could not find the size we need.

Also how are they holding up?
This is the first time I’m using these tyres (my Tiger always ran Metzeler Tourance and the Ducati is on Michelin Road 5s). I’ve only got ~200 odd kms on them so far but they’re fine. A friend has them on his Ducati Desert Sled also and swears by them. They’re generally well liked by most who’ve used them.

You’re right on the sizing - they are not an exact fit but it works. Even on the Tiger, the Metzeler Tourance was not the exact one that the stock Tourance “Next” sported, IIRC.

Below is the Pirelli STR sizing which I’ve installed (yes I know the sidewall has come from stock 90 to 80). Works for the Scram. I know another friend in Pune who’s put the same on his Scrambler 400X - he’s had them on for 3 months now - no complaints.

110/80 19
130/80 17

Last edited by Axe77 : 18th March 2024 at 12:13. Reason: Minor edit. (Added "Michelin")
Axe77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 13:09   #158
BHPian

After considering various reviews and feedback, I've finally settled on purchasing the 2024 Scrambler 400x red model. Although the 2023 versions are discounted by 8k, for peace of mind, I opted for the 2024 edition, costing 3.496 lks in Bangalore.

My Requirement:
My primary requirement was a comfortable bike (250cc+) to replace my car for office commutes, saving me at least 45 minutes. Standing at 6ft tall, my previous Tvs Ntorq was causing back problems. My commute involves navigating through congested Ejipura traffic, taking roughly an hour for a 12km journey, especially during peak hours.

Bikes Tested:
I tested various bikes including Triumph Speed, RTR310, Ninja300, Duke250, Duke390, HD 440, Scrambler 400x, CB300, and Himalayan. Despite initial reservations about the Duke390 due to its reputation and color schemes, I was pleasantly surprised by its performance.

Duke 390:
The Duke 390, stood out with its power, agility in traffic, and sleek design. Yet, it exhibited noticeable vibrations, occasional stalling in traffic, panel gaps, and a polarizing design.

Scrambler 400x:
In comparison, the Scrambler offered a premium finish, exceptional tractability, comfortable riding position, and robust feel. Though it had slight vibrations under hard revs and a somewhat lacking meter console, its overall package won me over.

Final Decision:
After thorough evaluation, I confidently opted for the Scrambler.
aashikf1 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 12:07   #159
BHPian

Hi all,

Would anyone here consider the Speed 400 with handlebar risers in place of the Scrambler? I rode the Speed and absolutely fell in love with the agility and tractability in city traffic- it was a hoot and a half to ride even after 400km on the saddle on the highway.

My only question is would the Scrambler be worth the 30-40k increase, or will the Speed with the modified handlebars for touring be sufficient? Or is there more that the Scrambler offers that I've totally missed? I know there's longer travel suspension, but the characteristics of that seem different- while the Speed has good initial damping for city roads, the Scrambler is designed more for rough road use with a slightly firmer feel on minor undulations. I don't consider either to be a deal breaker. Where the Speed has advantages are with the tyres and brakes- grippier road-focused tyres with sintered pads for sharper braking as opposed to duller organic pads on the Scrambler for a more muted off-road braking experience.

(The risers I'm speaking of are from Carbon Racing- about 2k for a set).

Last edited by Axe77 : 18th March 2024 at 12:15. Reason: No SMS lingo please. (qn --> question). Caps where needed.
Old 18th March 2024, 12:57   #160
BHPian

Quote:

- Barkbusters handguards
- Removed saree guard
- OEM small windshield
- OEM high mudguard (wrapped in white)
- Wrap on the side plate with the number 16.
- SP Connect phone mount.

Useful mods! I got mine delivered on 11 March from Autogenika, Whitefield. The saree guard is an eyesore. Wifey will never climb so high up to the pillion seat wearing a saree. Therefore, the saree guard has been removed. I plan to get the windshield to primarily protect the console. The front mudguard will be changed in the first service. For now, I am enjoying the stock bike in its running-in period. The brakes are terrible though. Therefore, a brake pad swap is also planned. Does anyone know about a suitable backrest for the pillion? My wife and kid do not want to sit behind without one (this might be a good thing)!
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-20240311_164304.jpg  

Chinmay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 15:03   #161
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinmay View Post
The brakes are terrible though. Therefore, a brake pad swap is also planned.
Having ridden it a fair bit on faster highways now, I completely agree. They definitely could and should have had better bite I also feel.

At some point I will consider upgrading them to the sintered pads from the Speed 400. Triumph Mumbai A.S.S. informs me that this is easily doable. I'll probably switch out the front brake pads sooner rather than later.

Quote:
Does anyone know about a suitable backrest for the pillion? My wife and kid do not want to sit behind without one (this might be a good thing)!

If a top box is otherwise useful to you and you don't mind how it looks, you could consider installing that. Will serve two purposes in one.

Personally I don't expect a pillion for anything longer than short local commutes (that too few and far between) so have preferred to keep the look clean.

Last edited by Axe77 : 18th March 2024 at 17:47. Reason: Minor drafting edit.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 18:35   #162
BHPian

Quote:
<snip>

Outside Boojee Cafe. A perennial weekend favourite if in Bandra and not town.
Attachment 2583510
The pictures are fantastic. This particular photo resembles some cafe abroad. Triumph should use these for advertisement and so should the Boojee Cafe. Thank you for sharing the update.
ohaak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 03:34   #163
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaak View Post
The pictures are fantastic. This particular photo resembles some cafe abroad.
Haha - thanks for the kind words. Your post got me to try out a little editing on that pic and re-upload it.

One of the smaller things I had loved about the Scram is that it’s really easy on the eye - has proper visual character. Makes it fun to photograph as well. I specially love the clean lines now that the completely pointless (for me) saree guard is out of the way.

I’m probably taking it out for an off-roading weekender towards the end of March so hope to have more updates then.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 07:20   #164
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinmay View Post
Does anyone know about a suitable backrest for the pillion? My wife and kid do not want to sit behind without one (this might be a good thing)!
Checked the option from Zana motorcycles? Their accessories used to be popular in the Versys community I was a part of earlier!

https://www.zanamotorcycles.com/prod...-scrambler-400

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th March 2024 at 07:21.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 09:38   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Thank you, this one will serve the purpose but you will lose the OEM grabrails and the one from Zana looks a bit too crude, even I am looking for a backrest but haven't been able to find one that doesn't require the OEM grab rails to be removed.

Last edited by Axe77 : 19th March 2024 at 10:12. Reason: i --> I
al90 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks