Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2023, 04:05   #76
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aston_martyr View Post
Thanks. I did check with Big Bad Bikes, they do not have anything specifically for the 400X. Was yours a universal fit? If so can you share some details about it? I might pass it on to BBB.
Speak to Sean at BBB. He should sort you out. When I had spoken with him well before my bike delivery he had told me the one at the link below will work (but please do your own diligence). They had mentioned that "… the brake hose needs to be turned slightly to free up some space. There is enough slack in the house for it though.”

https://bigbadbikes.com/product/for-...bajaj-dominar/

Ultimately though since BUB was stocking these and they installed it even before I went for delivery. You could also consider calling and asking their accessory guy which specific model he’s installing.

Quote:
Also is that the Kriega US-10 dry pack I see in one of the pictures?
Yes it is. I have three from the series - the US-30, US-20 and US-10, which I mix and match or use standalone as needed. I had some small overnight stuff + ipad etc kept in the US 10 when I rode down from Pune to Mumbai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganm View Post

The highness has a lot going for it, ergonomics, good space for 2, refinement, tank range and a well sorted out suspension. The one area that I sometimes feel a shortfall is the ability to hold a speed higher than 110-120 kmph, which this potentially can do with ease.

However, there is a doubt that I hope to clarify with a long ride. The Highness engine is so unstressed that even at 100-110, it feels very refined and feels like you can maintain this speed all day. From what I hear, though the 400X can achieve higher speeds, the refinement issues do rear their ugly head. So, you may end up doing similar speeds on this as the Highness.
Hi there. Jumping in out of turn and to clarify, I haven’t ridden the Highness. But now having ridden the Scrambler 400 even on open straight highways - to make a nuanced point, yes it can do speeds more than 120 but I don’t believe it’ll feel comfortable ‘sitting at’ more than 120 in like ‘all day cruising’ mode (something I believe the KTM 390s might be able to achieve more easily). It does ‘feel fast’ at speeds over 110 so I’d not peg it to sit at more than 120 for very long periods of time. So your last conclusion is indeed on point - you may end up staying in the 100 - 110 zone for most part with the Scrambler too for it to feel comfortable if doing very long hours in the saddle.

On a slight tangent, I’ve not ridden the Himalayan personally in highway scenarios but from what I’ve read, stress free 120 kmph touring is something that might be the Himalayan’s forte more than the Bajaj twins. Having said that, I’ve heard even the Himalayan is quite vibey at city speeds so it all comes down to where your predominant riding lies and which is the compromise you can best live with. I’d suggest trying to negotiate a longish ride in varying conditions with each of the contenders and then take your pick.

Personally, I expect the bulk of my own riding of the Scrambler to be in the city or on Sunday rides within a 150 km radius with perhaps one odd trip to the mountains (the last may / may never happen). So the Scrambler with its lovely build quality and engaging riding style really worked well for me. But if you want to tour heavily on this, you should review all the available options once - they all come with their unique engine character, pros & cons respectively.

Last edited by Axe77 : 19th December 2023 at 12:43. Reason: Merging. Added a clarification.
Axe77 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 12:02   #77
BHPian

Re: Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Speak to Sean at BBB. He should sort you out...

Hi there. Jumping in out of turn and to clarify, I haven’t ridden the Highness. But now having ridden the Scrambler 400 even on open straight highways - to make a nuanced point, yes it can do speeds more than 120 but I don’t believe it’ll feel comfortable ‘sitting at’ more than 120 in like ‘all day cruising’ mode (something I believe the KTM 390s might be able to achieve more easily). It does ‘feel fast’ at speeds over 110 so I’d not peg it to sit at more than 120 for very long periods of time. So your last conclusion is indeed on point - you may end up staying in the 100 - 110 zone for most part with the Scrambler too for it to feel comfortable if doing very long hours in the saddle.

On a slight tangent, I’ve not ridden the Himalayan personally in highway scenarios but from what I’ve read, stress free 120 kmph touring is something that might be the Himalayan’s forte more than the Bajaj twins. Having said that, I’ve heard even the Himalayan is quite vibey at city speeds so it all comes down to where your predominant riding lies and which is the compromise you can best live with. I’d suggest trying to negotiate a longish ride in varying conditions with each of the contenders and then take your pick.

Personally, I expect the bulk of my own riding of the Scrambler to be in the city or on Sunday rides within a 150 km radius with perhaps one odd trip to the mountains (the last may / may never happen). So the Scrambler with its lovely build quality and engaging riding style really worked well for me. But if you want to tour heavily on this, you should review all the available options once - they all come with their unique engine character, pros & cons respectively.
Very well put together I second your thoughts with the Scrambler performance, it is a quick and fun bike to ride in city. On highways anything up to 120 kmph should be okay.. and quick overtakes above that as well. However a ideal cruising speed would be 100 to 110 kmph. You get some you loose some, can't have it all in one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganm View Post
Congratulations, I too have had a CB350 Highness ....

The highness has a lot going for it, ergonomics, good space for 2, refinement, tank range and a well sorted out suspension. The one area that I sometimes feel a shortfall is the ability to hold a speed higher than 110-120 kmph, which this potentially can do with ease.

So, you may end up doing similar speeds on this as the Highness.

Please do post your comparison with the Highness in this regard.
Well here is what I think when I compare the two:

Highness:
1. Smooth engine all the way till 95 kmph, and a bit of vibes creeps in after that till 120 kmph. Top end is a bit slow to respond and you need to really push it.
2. Front end feels a bit unstable at high speeds.
3. Suspension when compared to Scram is not up to that level. You can't expect it as well, these two are different machines altogether.
4. Frequent gear shifts are required.
5. Good fuel efficiency, I was getting around 33kmpl in Bengaluru traffic commute.

Scrambler:
1. Engine is not Honda level smooth, but still it is refined for most part till around 5.5 to 6k rpms.
2. This is a quick machine, with almost similar weight you are double in power and torque on this compared to CB350. You will feel it, in mid range as well as as the top end.
3. Quite stable on Highways and quite flickable in City as well, however has larger turning radius than CB350.
4. Suspension is better and it can absorb all the pot holes and craters, till the point you get something really huge.
5. Very trackable engine, it can pull in high gears as well. City friendly in this regards.
6. Fuel efficiency would be less here compared with CB350, I am expecting around 25 to 28 in city.

I hope it might help you in some ways. In the end it comes down to what you really want. Think, test ride, think again and decide
NEMatters is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 09:32   #78
BHPian

I got myself a Scrambler 400X - the green one. At 5'5", I can only tiptoe if I want both feet on the ground. But it's weight is manageable. Driven 200 km so far, everything seems to be fine. At noon stuck at a signal I could feel the heat in Kochi climate. However it seems fine. A few issues I noted:

1. Sometimes it takes a few cranking to start specially in the morning times. The sales man had said don't turn the throttle while starting but without it, it doesn't seem to run once it starts.

2. Occasionally at 2nd or 3rd gear, when you press the clutch completely, the engine turns off. You need to then try cranking it for it to start.

3. Headlights are very poor for night driving at more than 60 kmph. If there are no streetlights, visibility is poor and if you have a pillion rider you get the feeling the high beam is focussing upwards. Any suggestions what to do? I see a few people install auxiliary lights but is it ok to do in Kerala? I think the cops here are a bit jumpy on such accessories and will the say maddog alpha auxiliary lights cause glare to oncoming traffic?

4. Only time I felt my height was an impediment was in inclined places and when I had to suddenly brake and balance the bike fast.

I love riding the bike, the seating posture, the smooth power delivery and it's shocks.

Any suggestions on the headlight and a decent waterproof phone mount for the Scrambler 400X is highly appreciated.

Last edited by Axe77 : 23rd December 2023 at 15:48. Reason: Clean up formatting and some typos.
Old 23rd December 2023, 20:00   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakky View Post
I got myself a Scrambler 400X - the green one.
Congrats on the new ride.

Quote:
1. Sometimes it takes a few cranking to start specially in the morning times. The sales man had said don't turn the throttle while starting but without it, it doesn't seem to run once it starts.
I did not face this issue, albeit i've had the bike for 3 days now and everyday started the bike early morning at 6.30 AM.

Quote:
2. Occasionally at 2nd or 3rd gear, when you press the clutch completely, the engine turns off. You need to then try cranking it for it to start.
This has not happened to me on bangalore roads, I believe its just matter of getting used to the gearing and adapting to the bike. Keep us posted if it continues. When i took delivery of the bike the SA did advise the same thing to me.

Quote:
4. Only time I felt my height was an impediment was in inclined places and when I had to suddenly brake and balance the bike fast.
This happens when you wear tight pants in my opinion. I am 5ft 10 and do not have this issue. My dad who is 5ft 4 did not have an issue as well, he's always had bigger bikes. Its just a matter of getting used to again. Your height is not an impediment.

Quote:
Any suggestions on the headlight and a decent waterproof phone mount for the Scrambler 400X is highly appreciated.
I am using SP connect mount, which is good tested it out on some bad roads and no roads. grip is quite good. I got the SP connect pro mount with the universal clamp. Did not get the rain cover.
Checkout this post from the thread for reference.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5672898 (Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review)
aston_martyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 20:16   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on the new ride.

I did not face this issue, albeit i've had the bike for 3 days now and everyday started the bike early morning at 6.30 AM.

This has not happened to me on bangalore roads, I believe its just matter of getting used to the gearing and adapting to the bike. Keep us posted if it continues. When i took delivery of the bike the SA did advise the same thing to me.

This happens when you wear tight pants in my opinion. I am 5ft 10 and do not have this issue. My dad who is 5ft 4 did not have an issue as well, he's always had bigger bikes. Its just a matter of getting used to again. Your height is not an impediment.

I am using SP connect mount, which is good tested it out on some bad roads and no roads. grip is quite good. I got the SP connect pro mount with the universal clamp. Did not get the rain cover.
Checkout this post from the thread for reference.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5672898 (Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review)
Thank you so much. The ride is beautiful, in a way it kind of helps bring the joy of wanting to go on a long ride pronto, but I am trying to get used to riding again as it's been 4 years since I sold my pulsar 220FI.

Today morning when I started it was fine. Will check a few days more.

I ordered the BM10H PRO for now based on a recommendation. If that doesn't work out will check the sp connect pro.

As for the impediment, I find it easy to handle the bike except when like I said I need to take the whole weight on my leg in such situations. Partly guess because i just did a ACL reconstruction of my knee, scared of tearing that again. Should get alright with time.

Now the headlights is all that remains something to think off .
Old 23rd December 2023, 21:30   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakky View Post
Thank you so much. The ride is beautiful, in a way it kind of helps bring the joy of wanting to go on a long ride pronto, but I am trying to get used to riding again as it's been 4 years since I sold my pulsar 220FI.

Today morning when I started it was fine. ...

Now the headlights is all that remains something to think off .
Well for me as well, I did not face stalling issue anytime during the 1070 kms till now. Did the first service recently at Khivraj Triumph, costed 2270. Includes engine oil & filter change, chain tightening & lubrication & wash.

I am also looking for aux lights, but the fork mounts looks too much to me, spoils the clean look of the bike. Also, I was wondering on the suspension travel & in case the fork mount touches the front mudguard during some off-roading. I was thinking of mounting them on the leg guards instead, I understand the light throw might now be as good, but I think something would be better than nothing.

I don't prefer doing night tours, so I am still okay, however the stock light is really nothing, especially with that grill in front. It looks good, however spoils the throw in my opinion.

Last edited by NEMatters : 23rd December 2023 at 21:32.
NEMatters is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 21:54   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMatters View Post
Well for me as well, I did not face stalling issue anytime during the 1070 kms till now. Did the first service recently at Khivraj Triumph, costed 2270. Includes engine oil & filter change, chain tightening & lubrication & wash.

I am also looking for aux lights, but the fork mounts looks too much to me, spoils the clean look of the bike. Also, I was wondering on the suspension travel & in case the fork mount touches the front mudguard during some off-roading. I was thinking of mounting them on the leg guards instead, I understand the light throw might now be as good, but I think something would be better than nothing.

I don't prefer doing night tours, so I am still okay, however the stock light is really nothing, especially with that grill in front. It looks good, however spoils the throw in my opinion.
In the city those lights are enough. But when I went on highways without lighting, there is no way these lights help you relax because you just can't see enough forward. If another vehicle comes from the other side, what we can see ahead becomes even tougher. Aux seems the only way forward. But can the battery handle all this?

With the weather and traffic in Kochi, riding early morning or late night is the best. Will wait till first service to decide what to do next. That plastic headlight guard is a spoil sport. If you remove it we will need to find a way to close the holes on the headlight.
Old 25th December 2023, 00:26   #83
BHPian

Quote:
How was the service experience? Was this the one at electronic City?
Old 25th December 2023, 01:34   #84
BHPian

Dropped a mail to crm@speedtriumph.com for cancellation of the pre booking and refunding the booking amount. Chose the Himalayan over the Scrambler 400x after carefully test riding both bikes.

As I have already mentioned earlier, both bikes are good in their own rights, but my use case being mostly riding with a pillion and luggage, the Himalayan scores better here. Also, widespread service network is another reason for this consideration.

But, that in no way means that the Scrambler 400x is less capable in any way. It's a fantastic machine, just that Himalayan fulfils my requirement in a better manner.
Many safe miles to the proud owners.

Regards
aviator1101 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 12:06   #85
BHPian

Quote:
How was the service experience? Was this the one at electronic City?
Yes the Electronic City one, overall it was neutral I would say. I am used to the Honda Big Wing experience and that was quite professional and fuss free. It was no where near that I would say.

I reached there and 9.30 AM as I was told. But there was no one in there, the service guys came only at around 9.45 AM or so on a Friday morning. Issues reported were only related to gear shifts being harder, and the abnormal noise I observed and corrected during one of the ride. The coolant hose has come off from the holder and needs to be fixed in place it is right behind the fan. One more issue indicated was a minor water entry inside one of the indicator.

Got the bike at around 1.30 PM with the engine oil and stuff being changed. I had to remind them on the fan noise concern, which they corrected by routing the house properly only when I asked for it. For the water ingress in the indicator, the service personnel told me that he will ask for a warranty claim, but will take time.

I get the feeling that they are still in the process and have not ironed out all the small niggles related to functioning of a service station.

Last edited by NEMatters : 26th December 2023 at 12:14.
NEMatters is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 12:13   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Yes the Electronic City one, overall it was neutral I would say. I am used to the Honda Big Wing experience and that was quite professional and fuss free. It was no where near that I would say.

I reached there and 9.30 AM as I was told. But there was no one in there, the service guys came only at around 9.45 AM or so on a Friday morning. Issues reported were only related to gear shifts being harder, and the abnormal noise I observed and corrected during one of the ride. The coolant hose has come off from the holder and needs to be fixed in place it is right behind the fan. One more issue indicated was a minor water entry inside one of the indicator.
Thank you, much appreciated.
Could you elaborate more on the abnornal noise? Was this to do with the coolant hose not being fastened properly?
Old 26th December 2023, 12:18   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, much appreciated.
Could you elaborate more on the abnornal noise? Was this to do with the coolant hose not being fastened properly?
Yes the hose has come off from its place, and was touching the fan, creating some high frequency noise. I think I observed it quite early and hopefully there should not be a major damage done to the hose. Because I did not observe any coolant spillage.
Old 26th December 2023, 15:35   #88
BHPian

Just received this message on a service campaign from Keerthi Triumph Bangalore. I am yet to complete 1000km so will have to wait, anyone else interested please call them for an appointment.
Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-screenshot_20231226_153134_whatsapp.jpg
Old 2nd January 2024, 19:05   #89

My cousin bought this bike and unfortunately we had a minor incident with it which resulted in damages to gear lever, mud guard (small crack) and headlight unit (damage to cover and the drl part has a crack). The insurance is new India and currently Keerthi triumph does not have the insurance form and asked us to call the toll free and get the form filled. Replacing the gear lever is must but can live with the mudguard and headlight unit. The headline unit costs over 9000 as they will replace the whole unit rather than drl. What is the best course of action for us here?
Old 2nd January 2024, 21:45   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thush View Post
My cousin bought this bike and unfortunately we had a minor incident with it which resulted in damages to gear lever, mud guard (small crack) and headlight unit (damage to cover and the drl part has a crack). The insurance is new India and currently Keerthi triumph does not have the insurance form and asked us to call the toll free and get the form filled. Replacing the gear lever is must but can live with the mudguard and headlight unit. The headline unit costs over 9000 as they will replace the whole unit rather than drl. What is the best course of action for us here?
This is what you bought the insurance for. Just go through the forms and start the process, just make sure to check on parts availability. Accidents happen and this is why we have insurance.
aston_martyr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks