Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2024, 19:03   #91
BHPian

Re: Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review

I got a call a few days back from Triumph service asking me to bring in the bike for a software update. On asking how urgent it was they said bring it in within two weeks but they don't know what the issue is. So I took it in the next day. They did it within the hour but I was getting a unclear reply on what it was for and there were others who were also getting the update. Used the opportunity to replace the pillion grab rails with their original top box integrated luggage carrier.

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-img_20240106_190943.jpg

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-img_20240106_114056.jpg

While going a casual chit chat with the service advisor adviced two concerns he noticed with these vehicles :

1. Lot of people keep the key in on position and though engine switch is in off postion, the drl is running and so it could sometimes cause starting troubles.

2. Try not to unconsciously hold the clutch partially which causes issues. I explained to him this is a problem for me as the current levers are so far placed my fingers can't wrap around it while holding the handle bar. He did say triumph is planning to launch those adjustable lever clutches as this is a known issue.

He couldn't offer me any solution on the headlight.Auxillary seems the only option. Mostly the maddog scoutx.

After about 500 km, two issues noted. One the gear changes seem harder and make a noise. Secondly the rear view mirrors have loosened a bit. Guess both will be sorted in first service.
chakky is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 20:30   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakky View Post
I got a call a few days back from Triumph service asking me to bring in the bike for a software update. On asking how urgent it was they said bring it in within two weeks but they don't know what the issue is. So I took it in the next day. They did it within the hour but I was getting a unclear reply on what it was for and there were others who were also getting the update. Used the opportunity to replace the pillion grab rails with their original top box integrated luggage carrier.
I've just completed 1000km today, will be going in for the 1st service tomorrow. Will try and enquire on the software update. Luggage carrier looks neat, any other accessories on sale? At the moment in bangalore they only have the visor in stock.

Quote:
1. Lot of people keep the key in on position and though engine switch is in off postion, the drl is running and so it could sometimes cause starting troubles.
This makes no sense, an LED DRL which is ON maybe for a max of maybe 2-3 mins during traffic stops? [read Silkboard bangalore] I've had no issues so far.

Quote:
2. Try not to unconsciously hold the clutch partially which causes issues. I explained to him this is a problem for me as the current levers are so far placed my fingers can't wrap around it while holding the handle bar. He did say triumph is planning to launch those adjustable lever clutches as this is a known issue.
This I am doing as well, gradually trying to grow out of it, but I feel a swap to Pro spec easy clutch might be the answer for me.

Quote:
He couldn't offer me any solution on the headlight. Auxillary seems the only option. Mostly the maddog scoutx.
I don't ride at night, maybe the early morning starts might be the only use case, however where do we find a proper mounting for the aux. Either on the crash bar or the forks. Not a big fan of the latter.

Quote:
After about 500 km, two issues noted. One the gear changes seem harder and make a noise. Secondly the rear view mirrors have loosened a bit. Guess both will be sorted in first service.
Gear shift I agree I faced this at about 800km completion and coincidentally I adjusted the gear lever to accommodate full length riding boots couple of days back. Rode about 100 kms now it feels better and I do not know how. Rear view mirrors are a puzzle for me, I keep fiddling with it every other day.

Last edited by Axe77 : 10th January 2024 at 10:12. Reason: Clean up edits. Please use caps where needed. (i —>I).
aston_martyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 20:53   #93
BHPian

Here is an update after 2000 kms, I have mainly 2 major issues on the bike:

1. The front right side indicator had water droplets inside from a long time, got it replaced under warranty after some follow ups with Khivraj Triumph, E-City.

2. Even after the software update at 1st service (at approx. 1050 kms) on 22nd Dec, I still have the engine stalling issue. Few days it is quite pronounced and happens almost 2 to 3 times while riding. Other days it is okay. It happens only when depressing clutch in 2nd or 3rd gear mostly.

I called up Khivraj Triumph for 2nd issues, for which they informed that there is no further update on the ECU, but maybe they can look in to bike and tune up few parameters to avoid the stalling. I need to take the bike to service someday.

In Bengaluru traffic for office commute I got 24kmpl recently, and on highway I got up to 33kmph as well. So it seems the range is somewhat between these, I was expecting the city commute to be more fuel efficient with around 28kmph or so, But yes, these are peak Bengaluru traffic, so a wishful thinking for sure.
NEMatters is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 08:52   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aston_martyr View Post

This makes no sense, an LED DRL which is ON maybe for a max of maybe 2-3 mins during traffic stops?[read Silkboard bangalore] I've had no issues so far.

I don't ride at night, maybe the early morning starts might be the only use case, however where do we find a proper mounting for the aux. Either on the crash bar or the forks. Not a big fan of the latter.
The advisor was speaking about on traffic halts but incidents like talking to friends or parking somewhere and attending to matters on phone or roadside activities keeping the phone on.

When I contacted maddog directly they sent me this saying it can be mounted by the headlight:
https://www.maddog.co.in/product_details/THI
and then this image. Dont know from where it is.

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-whatsapp-image-20240109-11.40.16-am.jpeg

I havent seen anyone else do it...so dont know. Just sharing what I got.

Last edited by Axe77 : 10th January 2024 at 10:10. Reason: Please quote only relevant parts of the quote while replying and not entire long posts. Thank you.
chakky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 12:01   #95
Team-BHP Support

I generally use an SW Motech 5 - 8 ltr tank bag with my adventure bikes but that’s not possible with the Scrambler given its classic off centre fuel tank. Wanted a cheap and cheerful closest alternative solution.

Got this nice little tank pouch from Tripmachine. Can carry any small items including like phone, wallet, keys etc. Phone can also be placed such that it can be used for navigation. It’s magnet based so you literally just slap it on the tank and off. No additional attachments needed. I’ve put some images from my somewhat dimly lit parking lot just to show that it looks like on the Scrambler. The product link below has better images with a different bike.

Product Link

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-img_6484.jpeg

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-img_6485.jpeg
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 13:11   #96
BHPian

Does this sound like tappet noise? Can fellow scrambler owners comment on the engine note?
This does not happen during cold start and comes up only after 20 mins of riding.
SA says this is normal and would gradually go down post switching to fully synthetic engine oil.

Edit: Found another speed 400 with the same noise albeit more pronounced.
https://www.reddit.com/r/indianbikes/s/r6QW0lJA3s

Last edited by aston_martyr : 10th January 2024 at 13:37. Reason: Typo
Old 10th January 2024, 13:20   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Does this sound like tappet noise? Can fellow scrambler owners comment on the engine note?
This does not happen during cold start and comes up only after 20 mins of riding.
SA says order normal and would gradually go down post switching to fully synthetic engine oil.
https://Youtube.com/watch?v=gEII1vi4...ZL_PmVR7GH-x8w
Even my bike has similar sound coming after the engine gets hot. To me it does feel like the 4-valve tappet noise as well.

Editing the post : I noticed this recently, and I am at around 2k kms, at 1st service I was at 1k and it was not so prominent then.

Last edited by NEMatters : 10th January 2024 at 13:42. Reason: Added further information
Old 10th January 2024, 13:38   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMatters View Post
Even my bike has similar sound coming after the engine gets hot. To me it does feel like the 4-valve tappet noise as well.
Did you check on this with the SA during your first service?
Old 10th January 2024, 14:32   #99
BHPian

Quote:
SA says this is normal and would gradually go down post switching to fully synthetic engine oil.
https://Youtube.com/watch?v=gEII1vi4...ZL_PmVR7GH-x8w

Edit: Found another speed 400 with the same noise albeit more pronounced.
https://www.reddit.com/r/indianbikes/s/r6QW0lJA3s
Update: This seems to happen in all of the vehicles. The SA said that it is decompression. I have not enough technical knowledge to challenge that. However I asked to check on couple of other 400X available at the service center and result seems to be the same on 2 other scramblers.
aston_martyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 22:54   #100
BHPian

Did my 1000km first service today. They informed me there was one more software update to do today and that was to reduce the stalling issue. Oil changed.

They adjusted my headlight. For it, they asked me to sit on the bike and then adjusted it so that the high beam focusses on the road than the sky after my weight changes its angle.
Tightened the mirrors.

Advices given today :
Lube the chain every 500km
Once in 1000km come to have the chain tightened or so
Once every two weeks check tyre pressure.
Try not to hold the clutch as it stretches the cable and causes the hard gear changes. Hopefully they will have the adjustable clutch lever soon.

I also overheard the supervisor say there is a chance that there will be a recall and replacement of the front brake lever or so. It's being planned. Triumph will inform the same. Not very sure it's the front lever or brake. Guess the lack of bite in the front brakes is being considered a problem.

Overall the experience was smooth, friendly. I gave the bike after booking the slot through the triumph app. Selected 12.40 pm seeing it available. They gave me the bike fully done and washed at around 4.15 pm.

The return drive was smooth. Felt a lot more power in each gear than before the service.

Last edited by chakky : 16th January 2024 at 22:57.
chakky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2024, 17:31   #101
BHPian

I just wanted to paste the same post here also just to make Team-BHPians aware.

Hi Team-BHPians from Delhi,

A new Triumph showroom has opened in Vikas Marg near Preet Vihar metro station opposite Bharat Petroleum pump.

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-pxl_20240118_113452476.jpg
Bhupesh_2628 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 02:36   #102
BHPian

Has anyone got PPF or ceramic coating done on their Scrambler ? Am looking to get it done since I have managed to put a few micro scratches on the tank after keeping a cardboard box on the tank.

Any good recommendations in Chennai, I did manage to call 3 places, but 2 out of the 3 raised red flags as the quotes were on the bike not on the area for ppf. I got cheaper rates for a RE than for my Scrambler 400x, its extortion that's happening in the name of PPF coating, price of the bike determines the cost. PPF material and effort and time are not even on the list.
Old 28th January 2024, 18:00   #103
BHPian

Here is an update, the ODO now stands at 2700kms. I went to Khivraj Triumph E-City for the ECU update for stalling issue. The bike was stalling in almost every ride before the update. One more thing I understood that there is a change of front brake lever as well in Scrambler 400x.

After the ECU update I feel the bike has become more smoother, maybe the cylinder firing has become more uniform or so, there is a considerable change. Also, I did not encountered any stalling so far, rode it for around 200 kms on a road trip.

On the front brake lever change, I felt the braking has improved alot, that squishy feeling of brake lever is gone. I feel more confident now, and bike does stop aggressively if you want it to.

My issues with the bike are now seems to be resolved- Touchwood. Quite happy with the bike now

Last edited by Axe77 : 28th January 2024 at 18:41.
Old 28th January 2024, 19:07   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMatters View Post

My issues with the bike are now seems to be resolved- Touchwood. Quite happy with the bike now
I have been holding off my purchase for the basic issues to be resolved as everyone I spoke to suggested that I wait for couple of months after the launch for the initial niggles to be sorted out.

Do you think the issues are resolved and now would be a better time to go ahead with my purchase?
Old 28th January 2024, 19:58   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasathlr View Post
I have been holding off my purchase for the basic issues to be resolved as everyone I spoke to suggested that I wait for couple of months after the launch for the initial niggles to be sorted out.

Do you think the issues are resolved and now would be a better time to go ahead with my purchase?
Well, I can only comment for myself. And for me, yes it feels the bike has no issues. It is advisable to wait for these initial concerns to die down before going on for a new automobile. If you can wait, I would advise to wait a bit more, I think somewhere 8 to 10 months should be good timeframe from launch, if you want to be protected by these niggles.

One more factor I feel is the quality of service, which needs a lot of efforts from Triumph. I am not sure how much of improvements they can bring in. The service experience is very mediocre. I have seen the experience of Honda Big Wing, which is quite polished.

Last edited by NEMatters : 28th January 2024 at 20:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks