Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2023, 17:11   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Got my Scrambler 400X delivered over the weekend and did a nice maiden ride today from Pune to Mumbai.
Lovely! Congratulations on your new bike. Could you give me some feedback on that thigh bag/pouch please. Being seeing Carbonado videos on these. How are these better (if at all) than our traditional hip/fanny bags? And in the position the bag would be on the thigh while riding, wouldn't stuff fall out if you risk unzipping it to access something?

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 3rd December 2023 at 17:33.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2023, 17:18   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Lovely! Congratulations on your new bike.
Thank you Doc.

Quote:
Could you give me some feedback on that thigh bag/pouch please. Being seeing Carbonado videos on these. How are these better (if at all) than our traditional hip/fanny bags? And in the position the bag would be in the thigh while riding, wouldn't stuff fall out if you risk unzipping it to access something?
This particular one is by HELD which I bought from LABS back in 2017 (hopefully I’m not mistaken) - when I had just purchased my Street Triple 765 S - have used it across the Striple, my Tiger, the Multi and now this bike for 6 years. It’s absolutely top quality, ergonomically fine and I’m very happy with it.

Here is the product link from the LABS site.
https://www.lazyassbikers.com/collec...-004892-00-001

I haven’t used the other bags you mentioned so cant comment from a comparo perspective but it basically rests on the side. I don’t ever access it “while on the move” but only when I’ve come to a halt. It has a very robust zip so there’s really no risk of anything falling out (unless you forget to zip it shut - but all bets are off then for any model).
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2023, 01:03   #63
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Got my Scrambler 400X delivered over the weekend and did a nice maiden ride today from Pune to Mumbai.
Congratulations on your new motorcycle! The white barkbuster knuckle guards suit so much better than the stock, in fact. After some time, realised that you had purchased it separately and replaced it with the stock black knuckle guards. Adding a beak to it gives it more scrambled looks.
Karthik1100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2023, 02:44   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Lovely! Congratulations on your new bike. Could you give me some feedback on that thigh bag/pouch please. Being seeing Carbonado videos on these. How are these better (if at all) than our traditional hip/fanny bags? And in the position the bag would be on the thigh while riding, wouldn't stuff fall out if you risk unzipping it to access something?
Maybe I can chip in a bit on the carbonado thigh bag. I’ve got it got over a year now and used it for touring, city riding, & off-roading.
I’m on the larger side with a substantial paunch, and use a touring jacket that’s longer than most street jackets. Given these ‘constraints’ using a waist/Fanny pack is quite tough and uncomfortable. I’ve tried it out.

Based on recommendations by friends, I’ve got a thigh bag from carbonado.

It’s very comfortable, doesn’t foul with my stance while sitting or saddling the bike, and can hold quite a bit of stuff without being bulky or uncomfortable. Most items I’d used to carry within the jacket pockets go to the thigh bag now. On a typical multi day ride, I’ve got eye drops, a few basic medicines, a small hand towel, a small power bank, my wallet, and I clip my to the bag when off the bike.
The quality is good, and the zips are strong and have long pull tabs to use with gloves.
I’ve never needed to access the bag while riding, and can easily access it when stopped with my feet on the ground.
kaushalswarup is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th December 2023, 12:12   #65
BHPian

I got delivery of my bike from Keerthi Triumph JP Nagar.

First ride experience:

Took her to a short ride to Krishnagiri with friends and the bike checked most boxes for me. The exhaust note is sweet, and the golden forks and the lights look beautiful. We had two other D390s and we exchanged bikes during the ride. My friends were impressed with the low-end torque. I felt that the top-end is not as good as D390, but I wasn't taking it beyond 6k RPM anyway. I can review better post first service.

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-20231202_111502_original.jpg

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-20231202_111517edit_original.jpg

Dealer experience

Can't say it was a good experience, but my expectations from Keerthi were low. Hence, I wasn't disappointed much. If you buy from them, keep following up. There are chances that they get the bike, registration, number plate but forget to call you for days.

I have a couple of questions:

- Any recommendations for installing PPF on tank? Which brand, workshop in south/central Bangalore?
- If you're an owner yourself and if there's an owner's group in Bangalore, please consider letting me in.
zaphodb is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 12:16   #66
BHPian

Quote:

Accessories installed:
At the time of delivery:
- Barkbusters
- SP Connect phone mount (same one I use on my Multi so that the phone holder is cross compatible)
- Kriega loops .
Congrats on taking delivery. A few questions.
Where did you procure the bark busters from? i could not find one on their website specifically for 400X.
SP connect mount - Are you using it with the anti vibration module? And also is the placement on the handlebar as shown optimal?
Are the Kriega loops universal or specific to the brand itself. Looks very incognito.
Old 5th December 2023, 12:33   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aston_martyr View Post
Congrats on taking delivery. A few questions.
Where did you procure the bark busters from? i could not find one on their website specifically for 400X.
BU Bhandari Pune is stocking these in their accessories department. Perhaps just call the dealer and ask. This is not Triumph OEM and therefore probably not listed on the website. Else LABS Mumbai will sell these as will the popular stores like Big Bad Bikes / Bike n Biker in Bangalore.

Quote:
SP connect mount - Are you using it with the anti vibration module? And also is the placement on the handlebar as shown optimal?
I use a cheap android phone for my motorcycle navigation so haven’t bothered with anti vibration module etc. My iphone remains in my tank bag / pocket.

Quote:
Are the Kriega loops universal or specific to the brand itself. Looks very incognito.
Universal - had used similar ones for my Tiger 800 as well and they come in the box when you buy a Kriega bag (I couldn’t find my older ones unfortunately so bought another set). My Ducati on the other hand has those model specific nut locked one which are very discreet and fix on the underside of the top box mounting plate. I’m keeping things simple though with this cheap and cheerful product so selective about how much I spend on it or what all I add unless I’m really keen on something specific. For instance, I’m not adding any additional guards yet nor am I adding any sort of top box solution.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 15:47   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphodb View Post
Congratulations! Somehow this thread is not so active as the Speed 400.

Last week, I accompanied my friend from our society for his Scrambler 400X delivery from the newly opened Triumph Showroom at Viman Nagar, Pune.

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-speed.jpg
Speed 400 is a compact bike, must be fun in the twisties.

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-x1.jpg
Scrambler 400X test ride bike, taller, wider handlebar and roomier than the Speed.

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-x2.jpg
My friend's bike. First impression was its weight or lack of it! Very light and flickable. Seemed like a lot of fun for those who are used to riding big/heavy bikes. The radiator fan was making its presence felt after an 8km commute. Later when I rode it at night it was much quieter. The LED headlight throw was rather poor, I need to check it again on a darker patch of road, is it the intensity or the throw is not proper in low beam. The suspension seemed stiffer and I could ignore a few small speed breakers (inside the society)

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-tk.jpg
I've never seen such a minimal toolkit on a bike. Atleast they provided the C spanner separately as there is no space to store it on the bike. Good that they gave it to adjust the rear shock pre-load by yourself.

Unfortunately my friend is not a rider and will only commute. Let's see if things change with time and the sweet machine he owns!

Happy riding,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th December 2023, 20:15   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphodb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
I have picked Scrambler 400X in matt green shade yesterday.
Congratulations on your purchase @zaphodb and @Turbo Head!
Being in the hunt for sometime to replace my Thunderbird 350x. Took a test ride of this bike last week and was quite impressed at the handling and comfort. Almost made up my mind to get this. However issues like engine stalling, coolant leaking are surfacing on some YouTube channels, which is making me think of waiting a bit. Would request you to periodically post your ownership experience in this thread such that people like us can take informed decisions!
Old 8th December 2023, 20:18   #70
BHPian

Friend shared this. Handling charges? Isn't that illegal?

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-img20231208wa0020.jpg
shyamg28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2023, 14:05   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
Friend shared this. Handling charges? Isn't that illegal?

Attachment 2541032
Yes, dont pay. Escalate and have it removed or demand accessories.

Last edited by 100Kmphormore : 9th December 2023 at 14:09.
100Kmphormore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 20:27   #72

Got my Matt green colour scrambler on 13th Dec from Riya Triumph, Ahmedabad.
This is my 3rd bike in lifetime. 1st 2008 classic Pulsar 150 sold in 2016, 2nd 2014 continental GT 535 had to sell in 2019 due to uncomfortable pillion riding.

After 2 days of riding around 20km, experience:
1. City ride is very comfortable for pillion as mentioned by better half.
2. I am able to easily ride 20kmph in 3rd gear and 25kmph in 4th gear, does not have to keep changing gears.(I have been riding Mahindra gusto/Activa from last 4 years)
3. I am not hard accelerating person, mostly ride in 4-5K RPM, but bike feels really smooth and quick. could be because I am coming from scooter 😊

Overall very happy with Bike Delivery and bike itself and sales person Kedar was also very helpful.
It is sure a headturner.
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-img20231213wa0018.jpg  

Beast21 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 13:33   #73
BHPian

Hello Fellas,

It has been quite sometime since I have posted anything. Quite excited to introduce my new possession, meet Scrammy.

It is still only 500 kms old, I had a Highness CB 350 before this, I actually got a bit bored of it after riding it for close to 11,000 kms. However, I must say it was really a refined and fuss free ownership I had with the Honda. Only limitation I felt was on long drives, can't hold 120 kmph as a fuss free speed. Needed more shifts, but I got used to of it later. Other than that it was a beautiful experience.

I wanted a comfortable commuter as well as a weekend highway mile muncher. I am 5'10, 66kgs, in my early 40s. Coming to options in hand for the upgrade I looked in to following machines.

1. Adventure 390- Especially after the X, it felt like a good option to have, however heard many things on vibrations and the low end torque issue. There would be an upgrade due as well with the new 390 engine. So, I had to skip it.

2. New Himalayan 450 - Well, I know it is a very capable machine, but for my liking the looks are really purpose built. And I need a good mix of looks, commuting & highway tours. This one ticks many boxes except for looks and felt hardcore, so skipped it as well.

3. Triumph Scrambler 400X - I loved the looks of it since it was revealed 4 months back. The power and torque looked good. Took a test drive and felt good about it, quite punchy to ride, especially the low end power delivery. The suspension was perfect, the CB350 was good and this has something I never experienced. Really nice bump absorption, the bike is a go anywhere for me. Mind you, I don't do extreme off roading.

I had it pre booked and got the delivery by Khivraj Triumph in E City. The delivery experience was pathetic, but I would say that my expectations were much sublime from start, since I knew they opened it recently and the staff needed the push for anything you want to get it done from them.

Coming to machine..
The Pros
1. Build finish and looks - enough have been said about it, it is nice.
2. Engine - Quite torquey at low rpms, and like the refinements below 5k rpms. I am still in running in so, can't comment on above 6k performance yet. It flies when pushed (maybe not like Ktm, but still nice)
3. Looks - Awesome to my eyes. I felt tank could have been a bit bigger though, it is a sleek machine.
4. Ergonomics - Spot on, I did not felt any change in comfort coming from CB 350.
5. Suspension - The highlight of this machine.

The Cons
1. Vibrations - Not unmanageable so far (below 6k rpm), but I can feel this one does vibrates much more than my earlier CB350.
2. Tank Range - At 13 ltrs, I need to fill it up quite often, add to that the fuel efficiency being lower than the CB350, I am feeling like I need to fill up quite a lot.

To be seen
1. Reliability - I read about some issues cropping up on early builds, so time will tell this.
2. Ownership Cost - As I said quite early to comment, so far so good.

Overall I am quite happy with the machine, fortunately, so far did not face any concerning issues in these 500 kms. Kept her below 6k rpm and this thing can still do a decent 100-110 at that rpm. The 2 things I noticed

1. The chain is loose, at 500 kms I lubed it when I noticed this.
2. There was a weird humming high rpm noise coming from fan once, I looked in to it and slightly adjusted a coolant overflow hose and it vanished, it must not to assembled properly it seems, will have to indicate in 1st service.

Here are some pics, which I took when I went for a solo ride.

Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-pxl_20231216_0545298662.jpg
Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-pxl_20231216_0652105822.jpg
Triumph Scrambler 400 X Review-pxl_20231216_0652348572.jpg
NEMatters is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 18:19   #74
BHPian

Congratulations, I too have had a CB350 Highness for over 3 years and am evaluating the Scrambler 400X as a possible replacement. I did take a short ride that Keerthi Triumph allows and was impressed but wanted to wait until the bike is available for rent from Royal Brothers or someone in my riding group gets one before I take the plunge.

The highness has a lot going for it, ergonomics, good space for 2, refinement, tank range and a well sorted out suspension. The one area that I sometimes feel a shortfall is the ability to hold a speed higher than 110-120 kmph, which this potentially can do with ease.

However, there is a doubt that I hope to clarify with a long ride. The Highness engine is so unstressed that even at 100-110, it feels very refined and feels like you can maintain this speed all day. From what I hear, though the 400X can achieve higher speeds, the refinement issues do rear their ugly head. So, you may end up doing similar speeds on this as the Highness.

Please do post your comparison with the Highness in this regard.
jaganm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 22:48   #75
BHPian

Quote:
BU Bhandari Pune is stocking these in their accessories department. Perhaps just call the dealer and ask. This is not Triumph OEM and therefore probably not listed on the website. Else LABS Mumbai will sell these as will the popular stores like Big Bad Bikes / Bike n Biker in Bangalore. .
Thanks. I did check with Big Bad Bikes, they do not have anything specifically for the 400X. Was yours a universal fit? If so can you share some details about it? I might pass it on to BBB.
Also is that the Kriega US-10 dry pack I see in one of the pictures?
aston_martyr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks