Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2024, 15:06   #46

Re: Aprilia RS 457 Track Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I did raise this question and we have a mail confirmation from Aprilia that the below accessories will be made available in the Indian market -
Great, thanks!

After hearing about the criticism of fading brakes on track from almost every reviewer, I think 'Racing brake pads' which they mention only in US bound accessories list should be provided in India.

Last edited by Axe77 : 16th February 2024 at 18:46. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
aniruddha_98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 16:03   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniruddha_98 View Post
After hearing about the criticism of fading brakes on track from almost every reviewer, I think 'Racing brake pads' which they mention only in US bound accessories list should be provided in India.
While this concern is very valid, most reviewers have clearly said that for track use they need different brake pads but otherwise for a regular user using it for commuting or touring, they will never get to that level of wear that happens on the tracks in the short duration. So if you are planning to take it to the tracks often, different brake pads are must, if not, the ones that the bike comes with should be good .
Old 16th February 2024, 17:12   #48
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Honestly, I've found reviewers usually say nothing is problematic. Thankfully, if you watch motorinc's video, Shumi says there was considerable brake fade after just 7 laps (that's just 14km) even after allowing the bike to cool down for 20min from a previous session. Lets give the Aprilia the benefit of the doubt and say people rode it for 3 sessions before that, around 30 laps or 60km, And this was at Kari in winter when ambient temps are around 25c. During summer, I assume brake fluid starts at a good +10c due to our brutal summers. I don't think its unreasonable to ask a bike to hold up for 60-75km. A bike's brakes should last at least until its tank range. No one buys this bike to practice throttle control drills on public roads after all. The fact that our bike industry considers quickshifters to be a more important accessory, focusing on gimmicks, than on actual braking upgrades reflects extremely poorly on our riding culture.

Last edited by hikozaru : 16th February 2024 at 17:15.
hikozaru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2024, 13:49   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
While this concern is very valid, most reviewers have clearly said that for track use they need different brake pads but otherwise for a regular user using it for commuting or touring, they will never get to that level of wear that happens on the tracks in the short duration. So if you are planning to take it to the tracks often, different brake pads are must, if not, the ones that the bike comes with should be good .
Indeed what you say is true. But I often go to mountains to do some corner craving, doing multiple pass of uphill and downhill on relatively secluded roads. And if you are doing spirited riding, having reliable braking system just elevates your confidence in your bike. Sure current setup is probably okay for the regular use, but not even giving the option of better brake pads to Indians doesn't make sense.

I'm sure I'll use the stock pads for some time and if I notice fade, I'll go for EBC sintered pads, and dot 5.1 oil.
Old 17th February 2024, 14:48   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniruddha_98 View Post
Indeed what you say is true. But I often go to mountains to do some corner craving, doing multiple pass of uphill and downhill on relatively secluded roads. And if you are doing spirited riding, having reliable braking system just elevates your confidence in your bike. Sure current setup is probably okay for the regular use, but not even giving the option of better brake pads to Indians doesn't make sense.

I'm sure I'll use the stock pads for some time and if I notice fade, I'll go for EBC sintered pads, and dot 5.1 oil.
Too much thought being put into this, majority of OEM anyway uses brake pads from Brembo/EBC and then rebrand them. You can just easily pick any of these then buying it from Aprilia, they would also end up being cheaper.
AtheK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2024, 14:51   #51
Senior - BHPian

Most of the reviewers had this to say, but the bikes have not hit the showrooms. Maybe they will give long-lasting pads, let's see
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikozaru View Post
Thankfully, if you watch motorinc's video, Shumi says there was considerable brake fade after just 7 laps (that's just 14km) even after allowing the bike to cool down for 20min from a previous session
Old 17th February 2024, 15:27   #52
BHPian

Our average spirited riding braking scenarios are nowhere close to the braking stresses achieved on a track to be honest. We are reading too much into this right now. It was tested at a track by some reviewers who are track regulars. In fact Sagar was pushing the fastest speeds among them on the the straight. Braking hard into a slow corner from 160-170kph repeatedly is not something you come across usually in road riding scenarios even if you are Valentino Rossi . Let the road reviews come out before losing our sleep over it. The hardware looks very similar to the ones found on the KTMs. In fact the caliper looks identical to the 2024 D390/250. Brake pads should be an easy upgrade.

Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-rs457frontdiscbrakecaliper.png

Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-duke250frontdiscbrakecaliper8.png

Last edited by b16h22 : 17th February 2024 at 15:36.
b16h22 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 03:13   #53

Update for Pune and Bangalore people -

Aprilia has put up stalls of RS457 in both cities. Phoenix mall Viman Nagar, Pune and Nexus mall Koramangala, Bangalore.

As far as I know, the stall at Phoenix will be there for a month starting from 17th February, whereas the Bangalore stall will be there on 20th February, Tuesday.

I visited the Pune stall today and got some details to share-

According to the Aprilia representative-
1. Bikes will be available for test rides at showrooms from 15th March, In Pune Motoplex Aprilia and AK Motors Baner will be receiving the bikes. But when I call any dealer in Pune, they all say that they will be getting the bike. I asked a few of them about the stall and they had no idea.
2. Deliveries will begin in April
3. Slip and assist clutch is an optional accessory which I refuse to believe, seems like a miscommunication from Aprilia.
4. Quickshifter will be available as an accessory.
5. Service interval will be 6000kms
5. The bike comes with RAM air intake. I do not know how it exactly 6orks, but I assumed that Ram air intake means air channels that have an opening on the front of the vehicle and go directly into the airbox, providing more air than traditional setups (or I do not know anything and I'm just making a fool of myself). So I decided to investigate this point further.

I got to see the bike up close and some of the points that I noticed have been explained below.

1. When the representative mentioned the bike having Ram air intake, I decided to take a close look and sure enough, I found 2 openings of an air channel just below the split headlights and above the winglet. Both air channels combine and go directly under the tank through the centre of the chassis.
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-screenshot_20240219024556.png
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-img_20240218_143008413.jpg

2. Welds on the pillion footpeg seemed a bit better than the track review bike.
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-img_20240218_142159815.jpg

3. There's a gap just above the engine which I did not like, the bike would have looked better with that gap filled.
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-img_20240218_141754811.jpg

4. The Radiator seemed bigger than my first-gen Duke 390 and is curved. A detail that wasn't mentioned anywhere.
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-img_20240218_143028698.jpg

4. The Traction control settings have memory function and do not go away after turning the bike off and then on.

Apart from this, I got to sit on the bike, it is really comfortable in terms of ergonomics. I was expecting it to be more aggressive. The fit and finish seemed really good. The bike looks bigger in person.
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-img_20240218_143547419-1.jpg
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-img_20240218_141052030.jpg

We can share our contact details at the stall and show interest for the bike. Aprilia will contact us as soon as the bikes are available for test rides.
aniruddha_98 is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 17:07   #54
BHPian

Got a call from MotoPlex Marthahalli, Bangalore. The display bikes are here, and they will be showcased in Nexus Mall, Koramangala tomorrow. After which, the bikes will be back to the showrooms. Test ride bikes are expected by next week, with deliveries expected by the end of March.
MonsterTorque is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 19:07   #55
Senior - BHPian

Bikes have come into bangalore showrooms

Last edited by Sebring : 20th February 2024 at 19:09.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 00:18   #56
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Anyone daft enough to take a measuring tape and measure the ground clearance on this bike? If not, well, I guess I can wait for test ride reports next week.

Heard this bike has a 3 month waiting period and the dealers say the bike is made after you book it (because they don't want a supply glut and don't want to be stuck with poorly selling colours). Is that true?
hikozaru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 01:28   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Anyone daft enough to take a measuring tape and measure the ground clearance on this bike? If not, well, I guess I can wait for test ride reports next week.
I saw the bike in Bengaluru but I might be going to check it out once again in Chennai. I'll be sure to do that it if I am.

Quote:
Heard this bike has a 3 month waiting period and the dealers say the bike is made after you book it (because they don't want a supply glut and don't want to be stuck with poorly selling colours). Is that true?
Smells like typical showroom level BS. The waiting period might be true but this isn't some super luxury exotic that it hits the production line only after they receive an order. This is a mass-market product and production will run on conventional market forecasting techniques. They'll go on a loss if they start selling units based on individual orders. It's really amusing to hear the kind of stories these guys come up with to create hype
SR1602 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 10:54   #58
Senior - BHPian

It works against the brand to say we will work only on orders. Aprilia is getting its act together and such adventurism can be avoided
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1602 View Post
Smells like typical showroom level BS. The waiting period might be true but this isn't some super luxury exotic that it hits the production line only after they receive an order. This is a mass-market product and production will run on conventional market forecasting techniques. They'll go on a loss if they start selling units based on individual orders. It's really amusing to hear the kind of stories these guys come up with to create hype
Old 22nd February 2024, 13:04   #59
BHPian

Quote:
This, indeed, seems to be the case. I booked, including colour selection, on the day bookings opened online. The dealer called to ask what colour was booked as he has to place an order now, which is ridiculous considering that the booking was done more than three months ago. The lack of coordination between Aprilia India and the dealership is also alarming. I am already dreading the prospect of waiting for spares.
MonsterTorque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 13:10   #60
Senior - BHPian

I feel you should wait it out till you understand the situation on-ground, regards spares/service
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterTorque View Post
This, indeed, seems to be the case. I booked, including colour selection, on the day bookings opened online. The dealer called to ask what colour was booked as he has to place an order now, which is ridiculous considering that the booking was done more than three months ago. The lack of coordination between Aprilia India and the dealership is also alarming. I am already dreading the prospect of waiting for spares.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks