Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2024, 10:00   #1
Team-BHP Support

Aprilia RS 457 Track Review

Aprilia RS 457 Review

Aprilia RS 457 Pros

• Mini-superbike looks with spot-on proportions and exciting colour schemes that grab attention
• Powerful 457cc twin-cylinder motor that produces a segment-best 47 BHP & 43.5 Nm is effortlessly fast and has a wide torque band with good rideability
• Easy-going nature with sport touring ergonomics, light clutch and positive gearshifts
• Excellent handling with a communicative and forgiving chassis, well-tuned and adjustable suspension setup and grippy tyres
• Touring potential with a 13L fuel tank, optional high windscreen, optional USB charging and provisions for strapping luggage
• Exudes quality - excellent paint finish, best-in-class 5" colour TFT instrumentation, aluminium dual-beam chassis and triple clamp upper plate, etc.
• Made in India. Pricing has been well-received and undercuts equivalent twin-cylinder rivals significantly

Aprilia RS 457 Cons

• Looks can be polarizing for a mature customer. No hint of subtlety with either the design or colour schemes
• Lacks the top-end rush of some rivals. Torque band is very wide and useable, but drops closer to redline
• Brakes could have better initial bite. Rear brake especially feels spongy, at least for track usage
• Lack of IMU/Cornering ABS. Few good-to-have features like USB charging, bi-directional quickshifter, TPMS, adjustable clutch and brake levers, etc. are offered only as accessories
• Aprilia's tiny dealer and service network is a concern

Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07371.jpg

Introduction

The 300-400cc (A2) motorbike segment is one of the hottest right now, both in India and abroad. Brands are not only encouraged by the sales numbers in this segment but also the global appeal of the machines available and as a chance for the premium brands to attract a younger audience to their portfolio.

In the sports bike world, this entry-level segment was dominated by the Japanese for a long time - and they remain competitive even now with products like the Kawasaki Ninja 400 and the Yamaha R3. The Europeans couldn't compete on price without leveraging manufacturing facilities in the developing markets. KTM was one of the first to realize that potential with the Bajaj-made RC390. BMW followed with the TVS-made G310RR - both global products aimed at a younger audience and made with Indian manufacturing efficiencies and economies of scale. Now it's the turn of Aprilia to build their new A2-segment sports bike in India for the world. Enter the brand new RS 457 - the baby in Aprilia's RS range, inspired by highly acclaimed machines like the RSV4 and the RS660.

Aprilia has been present in the Indian market for over a decade now, and (along with Vespa) is part of the Piaggio group of companies. But it was only in 2016 that the brand became popular in the Indian context- when the sporty SR 160 scooter was launched. The RS 457 is its first Indian foray into motorcycles (apart from imported superbikes), and will go up against the 2nd generation KTM RC390, Kawasaki Ninja 400 and the recently updated Yamaha R3.

We got to experience the RS 457 at the Kari Motor Speedway racetrack in Coimbatore with inputs from Aprilia MotoGP test rider Lorenzo Salvadori! Since the experience was limited to just the track - this will only be a first ride experience and we hope to update the thread with a road review once the bike can be sampled on our roads later on.

Aprilia RS 457 Pricing

The Aprilia RS 457 was developed in Noale, Italy but is being built in India at Piaggio’s plant in Baramati near Pune. This has ensured competitive pricing. The bike was launched at IBW at an introductory price of Rs. 4.1 lakhs (ex-showroom). The pricing was well received by the Indian market as it undercuts direct twin-cylinder, CKD competition like the Yamaha R3 and Kawasaki Ninja 400. However, the single-cylinder, made-in-India KTM RC390 is cheaper and offers similar performance figures as the Aprilia.

You can download the Aprilia RS 457 brochure here - Aprilia RS457 Brochure.pdf

Last edited by Omkar : 17th January 2024 at 12:32.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 10:00   #2
Team-BHP Support

Design & Styling

Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07373.jpg

If there is one sports bike in this segment that looks closest to their larger siblings, it would be the Aprilia RS 457. Styling is one of the biggest pros of the Aprilia. It almost feels like the accountants had no say in the matters related to styling!

It starts with the front. With triple full-LED headlamps incorporated with signature-styled DRLs typical of Aprilia's larger machines like the RS 660 and the RSV4, it's a front end that cannot be mistaken for anything but an Aprilia. This familiarity continues on the sides as well, where the Aprilia is anything but subtle. The two-piece fairing sports a choice of loud stickers and colours, but cheekily revealing the large aluminium frame underneath (a novelty for this segment!). The design is well rounded and finished off with a beautiful 'bat symbol' shaped tail-lamp at the rear.

Overall, the bike is well proportioned and has the the right dimensions for a big bike feel in the Indian market, and the bodywork makes it look bulkier than some rivals. There are three colours on offer - Prismatic Dark, Opalescent Light and Racing Stripes.

If I have to fault this styling, it would have to be only on one front - the 'go loud or go home' approach taken by Aprilia that would polarize opinion. The options are one fancier than the other and this definitely will not fly under the social radar. Our Prismatic Dark test bike had an iridescent colour scheme, red wheels and loud stickers - all in one package! This is not a weekend bike that you can discreetly ride to office on weekdays.

Build Quality, Fit & Finish

Fit & finish is top-notch for the most part and Aprilia has paid significant attention to the areas which you see and touch & feel on a regular basis. Once seated in the riding seat, you will admire the excellent paint finish on the tank, best-in-class 5" colour TFT instrumentation, shining aluminium dual-beam chassis leading up to a beautifully finished aluminium triple clamp upper plate, etc.

Switchgear quality feels good as well and even the menu buttons can be used easily with gloves on. Plastics are of good quality overall. Even the plastics underneath the seat and the splash guard area felt better than expected IMHO.

On the negative side, and honestly I am really nitpicking here, the black steel subframe and some of the welds could have been improved as it stands as a contrast against the shining aluminium frame up front. The plastic ahead of the tank, accommodating the keyhole could have been had a better finish and the luggage strap point feels like a last minute after-thought, welded on.

Features and Instrumentation

The RS 457 is one of the most feature-loaded motorcycles in the segment. Only the RC390 offers similar or more features. The bike comes equipped with TFT instrumentation with phone connectivity, a ride-by-wire throttle, slipper clutch, dual channel ABS with switchable rear and three riding modes, traction control, anti roll-over system, backlit switchgear, etc.

While some of those features above are class-leading, the RC390 also offers an IMU/cornering ABS which is missing in the Aprilia. Also some good-to-have features like USB charging, bi-directional quickshifter, adjustable brake lever, etc are optional extras. The list also includes an optional high windscreen for touring. Speaking of accessories, Aprilia has a much more comprehensive list for the European market which includes TPMS, adjustable clutch lever, comfort and low seat options, racing brake pads and even a side pannier system - which will not be offered for the Indian market initially. Hope this is corrected soon and the full range is offered for the Indian market soon!

5" TFT instrumentation is colourful, well laid-out and readable even under direct sunlight. Some of the options on display include:

- Phone connectivity options - Messages, Music and Navigation.
- Two tripmeters with individual maximum speed and average efficiency readings
- Lap timer
- Distance-to-empty reading
- Distance-to-service schedule reading
- Ambient temperature display
- Battery voltage display

In the short time we had with the vehicle on track, phone pairing and navigation options could not be checked.

Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-186a2971.jpg

Wheels & Tyres

The bike comes equipped with a 'TVS Eurogrip ProTorq Extreme H Aprilia' 110/70 ZR17 tyre in the front and 150/60 ZR17 tyre at the rear. These tubeless tyres are mounted on lightweight 6-spoke aluminium alloy wheels - 17"x3" at the front and 17"x4.5" at the rear.

As the name indicates - these tyres have been specifically developed for the RS 457 by TVS Eurogrip in collaboration with Aprilia. Although I started off with slight skepticism about these TVS tyres, over the course of a couple of laps, they warmed up and performed extremely well. Even fully leaned over into the corner, the tyres and the communicative chassis gave excellent feedback and confidence for mid-corner corrections or powering out as needed. Even amateurs riders like me were able to take the tyre to their limit without making a fool of myself. Soon after, Lorenzo Salvadori was seen dragging knees and even elbows in the corners - as if on a MotoGP machine! For road riding, an upgrade is not at all necessary.

Point to note: We ran the tyres with less pressures on the track compared to the factory recommendations. Also, no comments on the wet performance of these tyres - due to weather conditions prevalent during the test period.

Ergonomics and Comfort

The overall ergonomics of the RS 457 are of a sport tourer with the clip-on handlebars set above the steering triple plate ensuring that the lean is sporty, but not too uncomfortable for road usage. I did find the footpegs to be aggressively set though. Those considering the bike for touring purposes will have to factor in breaks to stretch the legs more than the back.

Seat height is a comfortable 800mm and you sit fairly well into the bike, with the large 13L tank providing an excellent perch for your knees. Despite the slightly bigger dimensions, the weight is comparable to its rivals at 175 kgs.

No comments on pillion comfort. However, the seats are small but slightly thicker than in some rivals:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07338.jpg

My height, for reference, is 5'11":
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07346.jpg

Fuel Tank Capacity & Range

The fuel tank capacity is 13 litres and assuming fuel efficiency is in the ballpark of 25 km/l, this should be good for 250+ km before the bike requires a refill. Quite likely the rider will need a break before that! Display comes with a 'Distance-to-empty' indicator along with the fuel gauge.

The average fuel economy on the MID post the track sessions was ~15 km/l, which can be considered as the worst case scenario.

Maintenance

After an initial checkup of 1,000 km, the bike comes with a service interval of 6,000 km/6 months. The first three services come with labour charges excluded.

Standard & Extended Warranty

The bike comes with a 36-month/36,000 km warranty from the date of sale, whichever is earlier. No information on extended warranty packages was provided. However, the price comes bundled with 2 years of roadside assistance at no extra cost.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th January 2024 at 10:02.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 10:00   #3
Team-BHP Support

Riding the Aprilia RS 457

The Aprilia RS 457 is powered by a 457cc parallel twin, liquid-cooled, DOHC four-valve engine that produces 47 BHP @ 9,400 rpm and 43.5 Nm @ 6,700 rpm. We got to experience the RS 457 at the Kari Motor Speedway racetrack in Coimbatore, and the below observations are limited to just the track experience.

Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07400.jpg

35 kW (~47 BHP) is the maximum peak power permissible for an A2 sports bike in Europe and Aprilia didn't shy away from tuning the motor to deliver exactly that - the best in the segment! Moreover, with a 69 mm x 61.1mm bore:stroke configuration, the motor has a longer stroke than other parallel twin rivals and this results in class-leading torque of 43.5 Nm. Heck, forget the competition, this motor produces more torque than the recently launched 452cc single-cylinder in the Royal Enfield Himalayan! Coupled with a slick 6-speed gearbox and a light slip & assist clutch, this powertrain is certainly one of the strong points of the Aprilia.

Releasing the clutch, the bike crawls forward at ~10 km/h without much hesitation or clutch modulation required. From 2,000 rpm upwards, the motor doesn't show much hesitation and pulls cleanly from 3,000 rpm onwards. Unlike the KTM motors, I am expecting this Aprilia to be a breeze to ride in traffic, with minimal clutch slip required to get a move on from speed breakers or traffic. This one won't stall without any accelerator input in first gear and picks up clean from low rpms in higher gears.

The torque is spread wide and comes in almost linearly from 3,000 rpm all the way to ~9,000 rpm. Although I haven't ridden the rivals, I think this Aprilia could be the easiest motorcycle to ride fast without a struggle. On the main straight at Kari, I saw speeds close to 150 km/h in 5th gear and nowhere close to the redline of the gear. Thanks to the wide powerband, there is no need to keep the engine on the boil either! Out in the real world, I think this will make for a great highway experience.

You can tour on this bike. There are luggage points provided to strap your bags. Aprilia provides a high windscreen, and USB charging options as accessories and also has a pannier kit available internationally, though we did not get confirmation if the pannier will be made available in India. Your upper body isn't too leaned forward like in an RC390, but the legs are compressed and will need some stretching in between during longer rides.

My main complaint with this motor is the top-end. Although the claimed peak power is produced at 9,400 rpm, I felt multiple times like I was near the limiter at 9,000 rpm itself, whereas the redline was well above 10,000 rpm. The power seems to drop very much before the redline and this derides the bike of the hooligan rush that some of the rivals are known for! On the flip side, this bike has a dual character that can do a bit of both - relaxed highway touring (whereas the KTMs are always eager to run away) and spirited runs.

The clutch action is extremely light and enjoyable and is well-supported by slick gearshifts. Aprilia could have provided adjustable levers as standard, but for my hand size, I had nothing to complain about. The bike comes with a ride-by-wire throttle and three riding modes.

Refinement & NVH

This new 457cc parallel-twin makes use of a 270-degree crank and that makes it sound much more interesting (and better IMHO) than its Japanese parallel-twin rivals - somewhat similar to the Royal Enfield 650 twins but without the bassy rumble. At higher revs, I think it sounds good to a passerby, but to the rider, it feels a bit thrashy as compared to a bassier note that I would have liked. That said, it is just a personal preference and not a negative note on the Aprilia.

Have a listen:

The NVH package is good and the parallel-twin is way more refined than the KTM single. There is some buzz at higher rpms, but nothing to be concerned about or bad, and can almost be termed as "good vibes".

Suspension and Handling

The Aprilia employs a stiff aluminium dual-beam frame at the front, with a steel tubular subsection at the rear. Suspension duties are handled by 41 mm USD forks with 120 mm suspension travel and preload adjustability at the front and a monoshock with 130 mm wheel travel and preload adjustability at the rear.

While I can't comment on the ride quality of the suspension, this setup does translate to excellent handling out on the track without being too tiring or harsh! The bike leans into corners naturally and within a few laps, even an amateur like me could get some good lean angles confidently. Weight transfer felt natural and hard braking did not seem to induce any heavy nose dives.

Braking

Braking duties are handled by ByBRE, Brembo's budget brand, which has now become the mainstay of most bikes in the segment. The setup consists of a 320 mm disc with a radial-mounted 4-piston caliper up front and a 220 mm disc with a single-piston caliper at the rear. Dual-channel ABS comes standard. The rear channel can be switched off when required and the bike is also equipped with traction control and anti-rollover systems.

Overall, the setup is very good and performs the job efficiently. That said, I would have liked a better initial bite from the front brakes and the rear felt a bit spongy, especially at track speeds. I also felt the tyre to be stepping out while hard braking after the long straights, but after a discussion with the R&D, I realized I should have crosschecked if I was on one of the riding modes which disabled the rear ABS for the track. Either way, the rear unit could be improved for feel and feedback.

There are racing brake pads offered as accessories for the European market. Hopefully, the same will be made available here as well soon!

Closing thoughts:

To summarize the track experience with very few words, this is a very easy-going and forgiving sports bike with excellent manners that helped an amateur hop on hesitatingly and within a few laps, end up doing this on the track:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07499.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 17th January 2024 at 10:02.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 10:00   #4
Team-BHP Support

Aprilia RS 457 Images

Aprilia has got the styling spot-on with the RS 457. See it from any angle, the bike is almost immediately identifiable as an Aprilia for those familiar with their larger machines, and this is especially so from the front! A definite head-turner on a budget:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07496.jpg

The only reason to fault this mini-superbike styling would be the 'go loud or go home' approach taken by Aprilia that would polarize opinions. The RS 457 bike has an iridescent colour scheme, red wheels and loud stickers - all in one package! This is not a weekend bike that you can discreetly ride to work on weekdays:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07488.jpg

The Aprilia has the right proportions for a big bike feel in the Indian market, and the bodywork makes it look bulkier than both the KTM RC390 and the Kawasaki Ninja 400:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07487.jpg

To me, the RS 457 exudes the most quality from the rear 3/4th angle. The swingarm seems to be extending seamlessly into the aluminium frame - both have exceptional finishing for this segment:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07366.jpg

The design is well-rounded with a rear section that ends tight with Aprilia's signature M (or bat symbol as I like to call it) tail-lamps! There are no design elements on the bike that are really out of proportion or at a loss in character with the rest of the bike:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07369.jpg

The full-LED front headlamps feature styling typical of Aprilia with the DRLs incorporated into the main lamps and the front turn-indicators on the sides:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07416_1.jpg

This LED triple headlight unit assembly consists of two low beam units on either side and the high beam unit in the center:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07537.jpg

Everything ahead of the rider gives him the impression of good quality with the excellent paint finish of the tank, the best-in-class 5" colour TFT instrumentation, the shining aluminium dual-beam chassis leading up to a beautifully finished aluminium triple clamp upper plate, etc. That said, and honestly nitpicking, the plastic ahead of the tank accommodating the keyhole could have been better finished:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07310.jpg

Stiff aluminium dual-beam frame at the front with a steel tubular subsection at the rear. The frame sure looks novelty for the segment:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07351.jpg

So is the handlebar triple clamp upper plate! Note that the clip-on handlebars are set above the steering triple plate ensuring the lean is sporty, but not too uncomfortable for road usage:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07382.jpg

Switchgear is comprehensive. LHS switchgear consists of the menu buttons (four arrow buttons to control the instrumentation), headlamp controls, indicators and horn:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07386.jpg

Headlamp controls are placed at the rear and are easy to operate. Adjustable levers are conspicuous by their absence. However, they are available as an aftermarket accessory (to be confirmed for India):
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07507.jpg

RHS console houses the ignition and mode buttons. Switchgear is backlit and can be operated easily with gloves on. Handlebar grips feel of good quality:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07388.jpg

A closer look at the mirrors. We couldn't use them on the track and hence, can't comment on their efficiency on the road:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07511.jpg

Large 13L tank is very well shaped, providing an excellent perch for your knees. This really enhances the feel of the bike when cornering hard:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07445.jpg

This iridescent paint shade appears to have purple or green hues depending on how the light reflects off it:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07349.jpg

'Aprilia Racing' stickers on the tank urge you to take the company's sports pedigree very seriously:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07418.jpg

If that doesn't work, there is also this direct reminder placed right ahead of the tank - so you remember it every time the motor is cranked:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07420.jpg

Functional aero channels on the side fairings:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07390.jpg

41 mm USD forks with 120 mm suspension travel at the front. Comes with preload adjustability:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07313.jpg

320 mm disc brake with radial-mount 4-piston caliper from ByBRE at the front. The bike comes equipped with 'TVS Eurogrip ProTorq Extreme HF Aprilia' 110/70 ZR17 tyre mounted on 17"x3" lightweight 6-spoke aluminium alloy wheel:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07394.jpg

Closer look at the double fairing on the sides, with the attention-grabbing stickers:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07519.jpg

Split seats. Space is at a premium, though the rider seat does allow you to move back a bit to tuck under the fairing. Space for the pillion is less, but the seat has better padding than some competitors:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07439.jpg

Footpegs are placed slightly on the aggressive side for a sport touring posture. Those considering the bike for touring purposes will have to factor in breaks to stretch their legs:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07392.jpg

Well-designed belly pan hides the 2-in-1 underbelly exhaust:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07404.jpg

Rear suspension duties are handled by a monoshock with 130 mm wheel travel and preload adjustability. Adjustment will require the C-spanner though:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07437.jpg

'TVS Eurogrip ProTorq Extreme HR Aprilia' 150/60 ZR17 tyres at the rear, mounted on 17"x4.5" lightweight 6-spoke aluminium alloys. Braking duties at the rear are handled by a 220 mm disc with a single-piston caliper from ByBRE. Dual-channel ABS comes standard, the rear channel can be switched off when required:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07406.jpg

A closer look at the swingarm, chain and splash guard. Interestingly, Aprilia has a coloured chain listed as an accessory for the European markets (Note: comes standard with the L-bent valve stem to make air pressure checks easy - good attention to detail there):
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07427.jpg

Luggage mount points are provided for you to strap your bungees. As mentioned earlier - this is one rare area where the build is suspiciously different - almost looking like an afterthought for the Indian market. For those looking to tour on this bike - Aprilia provides a high windscreen and USB charging options as accessories. There is also a pannier kit available internationally:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07429.jpg

Pillion grab rails come integrated into the base plate. Note the seat foam thickness for the pillion:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07431.jpg

The rear plastic splashguard underneath has this interesting element to protect the suspension from the mud thrown by the tyres (and make space for the battery above!). Good attention to detail in having the brand name embossed here:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07435.jpg

No space under the rear seat to even place documents:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07521.jpg

A small ziplock for documents and a first-aid kit can be squeezed in underneath the front seat. Note the 'Made in India' sticker peeping from under the fuse box:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07525.jpg

5" TFT instrumentation feels colourful and is well laid out and readable under direct sunlight:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07469.jpg

Comes equipped with options like phone connectivity (for messages, music and navigation), two tripmeters with individual max speed and average efficiency readings, lap timer, distance-to-empty reading, distance-to-service schedule reading, ambient temperature display, battery voltage display, etc.:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07480.jpg

Aprilia offers three colour schemes, but none of them is sober. Our test bike was finished in the Prismatic Dark shade which has purple or green hues depending on how the light reflects off it, and finished with red stickers and wheels:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07377.jpg

The second colour scheme is called Opalescent Light, which combines a milky white shade with red stickers and wheels:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07550.jpg

Racing Stripes colour scheme is inspired by the MotoGP RS-GP machine with the word "Aprilia" emblazoned on the front wing and paired with black wheels:
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-dsc07543.jpg

Disclaimer: Aprilia invited Team-BHP for the Aprilia RS 457 test-ride. They covered all the travel expenses for this riding event.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 17th January 2024 at 15:11.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (63) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 10:00   #5
Team-BHP Support

re: Aprilia RS 457 Track Review

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by Aditya : 17th January 2024 at 10:04.
Aditya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 10:24   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice review Sujai, this is one bike that is on my radar. I might pick one next year mainly to take to track, will wait and see how real life reviews pan out and how is the Service Center Experience. If things go well this will replace the Interceptor in my garage, while I look at another bike for touring two up, for a single rider as you said this should be good to tour, until the vibrations are well controlled on highway rides.

Looks good, the in your face color scheme is definitely something that might not appeal to us, but then I am sure we are not the target audience. The target Audience is going to dig this color scheme and also it will standout in crowd (One of the biggest ask of the target audience).

Last edited by AtheK : 17th January 2024 at 10:27.
AtheK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 10:41   #7
BHPian

Already my future dream bike. All I have to do now is to wait for them to sort out the "Italian quirks" that will crop up in the initial batches.

Last edited by Axe77 : 17th January 2024 at 14:08.
Nikhildrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 12:54   #8
BHPian

Thanks for the well-compiled review @Crazy_Driver. Knowing all well that colours are subjective, which one of the three stood out to you?
MonsterTorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 15:09   #9

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

From the paper specs itself we can understand how the engine is tuned. The engine is not tuned for top end ,it revs lower than the r3 ,n400 and the max power is obtained in 9000s and Max torque is obtained in 6000s.I have seen some singles which revs the same and has peak torque in 7000s.So it is clearly evident Aprilia tuned it for lower torque which is good for city riding/commuting and highway touring capabilities.

BTW does anyone have any insights at what rpms 120kph will be in 6th gear?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 17th January 2024 at 15:10. Reason: spacing and formatting
Kiran Britto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 16:38   #10
BANNED

I have seen this beauty during Motogp Bharath time back in Sep23. It was a real beauty to see in person. The fit and finish which we Indians make in our soil is another level.
At that time I was more inclined to see the D390 at the store. And I was shocked more seeing its quality as well.

I understood at that time, with the competitive pricing this model will sure get an instant hit. Only worry is the A.S.S where people are more worried.
Old 17th January 2024, 17:14   #11
BHPian

Was eagerly waiting for this review to drop on Tbhp! Quite a lot of information have been put in this review which I couldn't find elsewhere. Especially about the space under both the seats, the provision to hook bungee cord, etc. Thanks Sujai, for this detailed review!

One thing I'm waiting to see is, how creatively and beautifully they are going to design the biggest eyesore that we generally see on our motorcycles (Yes, talking about the mandatory saree guard). Because as of now, this bike is 10/10 in terms of how it looks.

From the review, couldn't really understand this reference - "This is not a weekend bike that you can discreetly ride to work on weekdays."

Also, how about its ground clearance, since it has an underbelly exhaust?

Last edited by BikerSuz : 17th January 2024 at 17:16. Reason: fixed the typos!
BikerSuz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 17:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

I really like what I see! Loved the white one. Someday, SOMEDAY, this along with a Himalayan 450/upcoming 390 Adventure would complete (LOL!) my ideal garage!

Sincerely hope Aprilia ramps up the sales and after sales support for this since this is one motorcycle I really wish to see succeed and pave way for a Tuono 457 and other affordable Aprilias.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 17th January 2024 at 17:20.
man_of_steel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 18:38   #13
Team-BHP Support

As confirmed by Aprilia, below are the list of accessories available upon launch. Prices to be announced by the end of this month:

• Quick shifter
  • Adjustable brake lever
  • Electronic Antitheft
  • Front Brake Lever Protection
  • Assembly system for Electronic Antitheft
  • Internal Bike Cover
  • External Bike Cover
  • Helmet Lock
  • USB Charging
  • High Windscreen
  • Heel Guard
  • Front Axle Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterTorque View Post
Thanks for the well-compiled review @Crazy_Driver. Knowing all well that colours are subjective, which one of the three stood out to you?
My personal preference would be Opalescent Light (white), followed by Prismatic Dark. I wish there was a black option for those who like to keep things subtle.

I wouldn't pick the racing shade - I doubt I was vibrant enough to pull off that colour scheme during my college days, let alone when I'm nearing my 40s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerSuz View Post
From the review, couldn't really understand this reference - "This is not a weekend bike that you can discreetly ride to work on weekdays."

Also, how about its ground clearance, since it has an underbelly exhaust?
Was referring to the colour scheme alone - it isn't a discreet machine that others won't notice. It will surely be a conversation starter - so those wanting to keep their weekend away from weekday discussions better be prepared

Ground clearance figures were not shared. Looked decent, but since my experience was only limited to the smooth track - can't comment if it is sufficient for our speedbreakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Someday, SOMEDAY, this along with a Himalayan 450/upcoming 390 Adventure would complete (LOL!) my ideal garage!
That would be quite a dream combination!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 17th January 2024 at 18:40.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 19:18   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran Britto View Post
BTW does anyone have any insights at what rpms 120kph will be in 6th gear?
https://www.gearingcommander.com/ Put a Honda 500, give or take a few kilos, a few gear ratios, it should have the same rpm more or less. Spoiler alert: its 6k

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
  • Adjustable brake lever

Just the brake lever and not the clutch?

Any reason why Aprilia went for an aluminium frame and steel swingarm when bikes usually do it the other way around. Lightness cannot be the reason anyway because of A2's power to weight ratio requirements. Is it just italian bling?

Wish Aprilia did a 2 day event, one on the track and one on Valparai or similar roads.
hikozaru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 22:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quick and Interesting Bits
=================

1. Unlike the RS660 and RSV4 the oil filler cap is towards the left of the engine, near the magnet cover.
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-oil-filler-cap.jpg

2. Notice the Aprilia's branding (circled in yellow) on TVS Eurogrip tires (First for any Indian manufacturer to have a their branding on a tire) Shows that this tire perhaps is specifically developed for this motorcycle. Also note the massive amount of wheel weight. From the picture I can infer it either as 6 gms or 9 gms. With a total of 10 stickies, 6 gms equates to 60 gms and 9 for a whopping 90 grams, which is simply too high for any motorcycle I personally have witnessed thus far. Interesting!
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-mass-wheel-weight.jpg

3. Chain sprocket kit is made by Rolon. Notice the hollow axles. Hollow axles on both front and rear helps in reduce unsprung mass. All these little weight savings gives it that great wet weight of 175 kgs
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-rolon-chain.jpg

4. Suspension is only pre-load adjustable fore and aft. Crude welds on the footrest heel guard mount. The only sore points as far as I can see.
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-crude-welds.jpg

5. Notice the semi-floating rotors and hollow axle. Great at this price point. No other bike in this category provides a semi-floating setup, including the Ninja 300, KTM series across-the-board. So, this is great! Did you guys notice the Aprilia logo on the tire, once again! Brilliant
Aprilia RS 457 Track Review-semi-floating-rotors.jpg

Thoughts!
I think it can hit a realistic top whack of 185+ and that great torque curve should make it fly off the line, better than the Duke 390 and overall a tractable motor which is much needed. Overall, build quality seems to be just okay, and not that great. I think the money is on the engine and the chassis for the most part. For the price and power on tap, it's a great deal especially considering the overpriced Ninja 300/400 series. With just 90k over the outgoing 390, this is indeed a VFM proposition all around.

Can't wait to see this bike in flesh.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 17th January 2024 at 22:20.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (19) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks