Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2008, 10:21   #1

Is it worth buying a Yamaha RD350 now?

Hi,

My self Mohana staying in bangalore, i am looking for an Yamaha RD350.. there is a 1986 HT version, its been bored once, doesn't have original silencer but running fine with RX100 silencer, but all the documents are clear.. for how much can i buy this vehicle and is it worth buying it now??

Waiting for the answers early...

Thanks

Mohana.R
Old 16th July 2008, 13:35   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanar82 View Post
Hi,

My self Mohana staying in bangalore, i am looking for an Yamaha RD350.. there is a 1986 HT version, its been bored once, doesn't have original silencer but running fine with RX100 silencer, but all the documents are clear.. for how much can i buy this vehicle and is it worth buying it now??

Waiting for the answers early...

Thanks

Mohana.R
wrong Section!!
Mods please move it to the write section.
Now coming to your querry...RD running on a RX100 pipes is real
Take a mechanic along, remove the head check the barrels , first oversize seems unplausible check whether the cylinder is sleaved ..If it is sleaved dnt look further and run away.
Check for any damages to the frame...any welding done. If its first oversize running on original cylinder with decent piston, i would not quote anything more than 25K because it has the papers intact.
Dude rebuilding a RD will cost you anything between 30-50K depending on your pocket...moreover if the seller is willing to show you the crank have a look at the crank...since that the most difficult part to rebuild!!
Ask him is the bike is running on premix or the oil pump is kaput and then whats the ignition type? Points or CDI...if he boasts about his CDI then take the bike for a spin and race with a Pulsar or ZMA you'll get your answer whether to buy the bike or not!!

All the best...
Oh just read that the bike is from Blore, i am sure this guy will ask nothing less than 45K

Last edited by nickoo : 16th July 2008 at 13:37.
nickoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2008, 13:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, not worth picking it for 45K
Old 16th July 2008, 13:57   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Frankly, it is the time to 'sell' RD's and not buy one. But then if there are no buyers where will the sellers quote sky high prices for RD's.
Old 16th July 2008, 14:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Frankly, it is the time to 'sell' RD's and not buy one.
Why do you say so? rising fuel prices?

As per me when It comes to RD the timing is last thing to consider there are a whole lot of factors which drives this decision.
Old 16th July 2008, 14:31   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

@ Technocrat, What I meant was that if you have owned an RD for some time now and have enjoyed it, then it is the best time to sell because of the ''sky high' prices being quoted for RD's. I have heard prices in the range of 80k + for a decent RD HT !!!!!
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2008, 14:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

wow thats a new aspect with Buying RD, makes sense but somehow never thought that way
Old 16th July 2008, 14:43   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
wow thats a new aspect with Buying RD, makes sense but somehow never thought that way
For Example:
An RD asking for 100k here on team-bhp itself.
Team-BHP Classifieds - Yamaha RD 350 HT - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Mods: Please delete this post if it breaks some rule by mentioning this advt in this context.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2008, 14:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
@ Technocrat, What I meant was that if you have owned an RD for some time now and have enjoyed it, then it is the best time to sell because of the ''sky high' prices being quoted for RD's. I have heard prices in the range of 80k + for a decent RD HT !!!!!
If you love a bike, then you don't just sell it because it will fetch you a good price. Unless, you are in desperate need of money.

I think he should ask the seller for the price and then get back here with pictures if possible. Keep in mind that there is one on sale in the classifieds for 1 lakh.
straight6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2008, 14:52   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
If you love a bike, then you don't just sell it because it will fetch you a good price. Unless, you are in desperate need of money.
I agree, just wanted to bring in another perspective.

OT: many of the 'rational' OHC Vtec owners let go of their proud cars just because of the prices they were getting . I know a few of such folks. They enjoyed it to the hilt and then let go off it.
Old 16th July 2008, 16:23   #11
BHPian

I would say someone who wants to own an RD 350, firstly should be a very passinate about it. The bike demands to get connected with you and then one cant move away from that bond. It needds to be cherished and cared for and it will ride like a dream with years passing by.
Unless you are very passionate and patience, i wont suggest you to go into those deep waters of RD.
Old 16th July 2008, 18:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post

I think he should ask the seller for the price and then get back here with pictures if possible. Keep in mind that there is one on sale in the classifieds for 1 lakh.
agree with you. but even in a desprate need of money my baby would not be sold. an i dont think that this bike is worth this kinda money. but if you can get one go buy it its not every day you would be determined to buy a RD
Old 16th July 2008, 19:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
but if you can get one go buy it its not every day you would be determined to buy a RD
This is something i would agree with as well.. But of course make sure you are getting a decent deal and atleast a reasonably trouble free bike.

All the best and do keep us posted!!
Old 16th July 2008, 20:05   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Why do you say so? rising fuel prices?

As per me when It comes to RD the timing is last thing to consider there are a whole lot of factors which drives this decision.
Lot of factors + RD's are always worth buying, they're harder to find these days + the cult/classic status its achieved not just in India but all over.
Money no-bar ...I'd say buy it work on it and make it pristine!
Old 16th July 2008, 20:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Well there is no Good time or bad time to buy an RD.If you want one badly then every time is a good time.But make sure you have alot of time ,patiance and money to truly enjoy the bike.Here they are a little difficult to source and range from 35k upto 90k.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks