Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2019, 22:28   #2971
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
No. Air filter is not socked in oil. It is paper element type filter not sponge type.

This is dry black soot only.
In addition to adulterated fuel (as told by navin_v8), my first doubt is on advance timing because it takes 3-4 decompression to get the ampere meter in center and after that there is a nice back kick a few times.
The question about the air filter being oil soaked was referring to a paper element air filter.

On many of the newer Royal Enfields the crankcase vent is connected to the air filter housing and "blow by" can cause oil vapor, blown by the airflow from the crankcase can contaminate the paper filter.

If the paper becomes oil soaked, not only will the oil block off the passages thru the paper filter but the paper itself will expand, further cutting off the airflow as it tries to pass thru it.

A lot of people notice their fuel mileage decreases and performance diminishes without ever thinking about having a oil fouled filter. That's why it is a good idea to check it occasionally.

As for the black deposits in the carburetor, it looks to me like a fairly typical carburetor that has gone a LONG time without ever being looked at.
It is fairly normal for this type of a black buildup to happen.
It can be caused by an occasional back fire during starting or the engine stalling while idling. Also, small leaks past the air filter or thru the hose that connects the air filter to the carburetor can allow dirt to pass into the carburetor. The dirt plus carbon from the previously mentioned things will build up over time and result in what you are seeing.

Another possible cause is a leaking intake valve.
If the valve is leaking, partially burned fuel can be blown back into the carburetor causing the black buildup.
It would be a good idea to have the compression checked to see if it is low.
Most motorcycle mechanics can use a pressure guage to check this.
For a typical motorcycle rider I don't recommend buying a compression testing guage as they will rarely use it.
Of course, if you are really "into" buying tools then buy the guage.

It screws into the spark plug hole and the engine is then kicked over several times to determine what the compression pressure is.
When doing this test, always make sure the throttle is wide open so that all of the air that can get into the cylinder does get in.

Typical pressures should be higher than 140 psi (9.5 bar).

If the pressure is lower than that, it may be time to have the valves ground and valve stem seals replaced.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 6th February 2019 at 22:47.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2019, 22:44   #2972
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
This is dry black soot only.
In addition to adulterated fuel (as told by navin_v8), my first doubt is on advance timing because it takes 3-4 decompression to get the ampere meter in center and after that there is a nice back kick a few times.
So I believe it's safe to say the motorcycle has been misfiring.

Timing seems to be off as you shouldn't be getting a kickback when kicking just off compression stroke.

Have experience the same on the UCE 350 when kicking with the throttle open, the TPS advances the timing and you get a not so fatal kickback courtesy of the auto decompressor.

But I doubt that would have an effect on amphere reading as it is relative to the cranks position.

Better to let Navin decode the information as he is the authority when it comes to all things RE.

In retrospect on the Keihin CVK 30 and other CV carbs the slide is black by default due to an antifriction coating present on it which I believe doubles as a seal ensuring vaccum, a good number of us in the early days scraped it off presuming that it was residue from bad fuel.

Here's a snap of the slide with the reminiscence of the coating before I scraped it off.

Royal Enfield Queries-260029_257084797746415_23980405_n.jpg
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 11:04   #2973
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Why Enfield Bullet?

May not be the right thread to ask this question - but pls guide.

Met a Bullet enthusiast last week in Goa. He had recently picked up an old RE, which looks in good condition, but the chrome parts have rusted. He wanted to know where can get the parts re-chromed.

Any suggestions, please let me know. The places can be either Bangalore, or Hyd or Bombay.
Old 11th February 2019, 11:23   #2974
BHPian

Re: Why Enfield Bullet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
He wanted to know where can get the parts re-chromed.The places can be Bombay.
The best place in Mumbai is Sai Leela Plating.
I have got my bikes chromed, plated, powder coated, buffing etc from here since almost 20 yrs.

Its run mostly by women and the ctc person there is Mrs. Mamta - 02225664250, 02225667621, 9821318292.

The place is between Bhandup and Naigaon.
The Great is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 11:32   #2975

Hello all, I own a RE C500. Recently after while riding the bike, I heard a noise from the engine. I thought that it might be the regular tik-tak sound that the bike makes, and was going to get it fixed in the next servicing, which was due in a week. But this sound is different, it's loud and continuous. The bike sounds more or less like a tempo. Has anyone come across this kind of a problem? I checked with a local mechanic and he said that it is the sound of some motor, might be a pricey affair to get it fixed. Any help or suggestions please?
Old 11th February 2019, 11:44   #2976
BHPian

Hello folks, my Electra Twinspark (2013) is throwing a peculiar problem over the last couple of days with regards to starting either with self starter or kicker. The neutral light does not glow for some reason occasionally and if it does the self starter doesn't work and so does kicker. When neutral light does glow and I try self starter, I hear a little tick sound and nothing happens. I make sure no lights are on when I try starter always. The neutral light goes off then.

After this, I take out keys and wait for a few minutes and start the ingnition process again but with kicker. If I try kicker, it takes lots of kicks. Somehow over the last couple of days I managed to get it started with lots of kicks. Once started, I face no issues with lights, horn or indicators. After riding for say 10 Kms I try self starter and it works. But it's not always working this way as yesterday after riding for over 15 Kms, the bike didn't start even with kicker or self starter.

Somehow I do not feel it is due to battery going down as it is just 6 months old and bike is in regular use as my daily office commute.

Any pointers where to look out for for this possible electrical issue?
Old 11th February 2019, 12:36   #2977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSlick View Post
Hello folks, my Electra Twinspark (2013) is trical issue?
It could be a problem of dirty ignition switch. Just wiggle the key in the slot when the ignition light goes off. If it gets re-lit, then it could be a bad ignition switch.

My experience in the following thread :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...replacing.html (DIY: Royal Enfield Bullet - Ignition key assembly cleaning / replacing)
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 12:59   #2978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
It could be a problem of dirty ignition switch. Just wiggle the key in the slot when the ignition light goes off. If it gets re-lit, then it could be a bad ignition switch.

My experience in the following thread :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...replacing.html (DIY: Royal Enfield Bullet - Ignition key assembly cleaning / replacing)
Thanks for the prompt response Adrian! Just went through your thread explaining everything in detail.

Yes the ingnition slot was giving me some troubles with neutral light coming on only at specifically adjusted position that only I knew

The ignition switch surely looks like suspect#1 to me now. Will have this checked with service center as I don't have the right tools with me besides limited experience over the wiring stuff. Surely some skills to be acquired for future weekend projects!
SuperSlick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 15:58   #2979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varadnerurkar View Post
Hello all, I own a RE C500. Recently after while riding the bike, I heard a noise from the engine.
If the sound is observed even when the vehicle is in neutral and revved, can you please put the motorcycle on center stand, make a short video capturing the sound and share it here? I'm sure somebody in the forum would have had exactly the same problem before and will be able to help you better.
Old 12th February 2019, 20:13   #2980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSlick View Post
The ignition switch surely looks like suspect#1 to me now. Will have this checked with service center as I don't have the right tools with me besides limited experience over the wiring stuff.
An update - the suspected issue with ignition switch was correct. Had given the bike for service today and the SA checked and got the ignition switch cleaned thoroughly after which the key slot is nice and tight. He didn't suggest just replacing it altogether. Also got front disc pads and brake oil changed with regular service! Bike starts in single press of self starter and also with kicker now! Phew... I can sleep peacefully now!
SuperSlick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2019, 09:42   #2981
BHPian

I tried searching the forum but could not find a suitable reply.

Today morning, when I kicked to start up, the lever suddenly fell down after the engine started - It just fell down like a broken arm.
There is no problem in the engine running or anywhere else - the lever would just not come up. When i stopped the engine, I could manage to bring the lever up by hand but when kicked again, is not coming up on its own.

I suspect broken ratchet mechanism. Need guidance on how to fix it properly.
Old 26th February 2019, 09:57   #2982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post

Today morning, when I kicked to start up, the lever suddenly fell down after the engine started - It just fell down like a broken arm.
There is no problem in the engine running or anywhere else - the lever would just not come up. When i stopped the engine, I could manage to bring the lever up by hand but when kicked again, is not coming up on its own.

The kicker spring inside the gearbox outer casing is broken. It is easily replaceable by a mechanic. I haven't tried it myself since I don't have the right tools.
The gear shift lever and kicker lever has to be removed and then the outer casing of the gearbox can be removed and the spring can be accessed.

Assuming this is in regards to a 4 speed Bullet.

Last edited by tharian : 26th February 2019 at 09:58.
tharian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2019, 10:25   #2983
BHPian

Quote:

Hope this video helps to sort out the issue

adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2019, 10:27   #2984
BANNED

Quote:
Need guidance on how to fix it properly.
As mentioned by Tharian its the kicker return spring, here's a video of getting it replaced.

Pretty straight forward.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2019, 11:25   #2985
BHPian

My dad has been using a bullet 500 for the past 3 years and did close to 30k kms. Today morning when he tried to use the self start, the bike refused to stop cranking even after releasing the self start switch. He then tried to switch off the ignition, but that didn't help either. He then removed the battery connection which stopped the cranking.
What could be the reason for this?
The bike doesn't have any modifications and was serviced in January.
Alfaholic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks