Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2015, 14:43   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: All about Exhausts / Mufflers / Silencers for RE Bullets

Honestly, most old timer Bulleteers in Pune know exactly what has caused this.

Its the rash of newbie Bulleteers in the 1001 new Bullet clubs that have sprung up at every chowk wanting to look badass and "announce" themselves.

And a very irritating way they have latched on to is the "pataka" .....

Sadly now, all of us are going to be swept under the same juvenile brain dead umbrella.
ebonho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 14:59   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Myself having a bullet with the retro bottle silencer (which is not loud), I am quite happy with this initiative. There are tons of people who go about making a ruckus with their free flow exhaust on the bull.
+1 to you mate I too have a couple of RE CI's an AVL and a UCE (All of them are on company spec stock exhaust) and I find it really irritating and unbearable to hear the noise from the aftermarket modified loud silencers. Many people have forgotten the logical meaning behind the word "silencer" and feel the louder it is the better it is. This trend is seen in all age groups of RE owners. Like your toddler my nephew too woke up quite a few times during afternoon nap and night sleep due to these monstrosity of loud silencers donning Royal Enfield motorcycles which is becoming a serious noise pollution menace. Bombay the place where I stay is not too far from implementing this rule now that it has come from Bangalore to Pune. I sincerely hope this law to stay as a deterrent and not fade. Else it might give a reason to those aftermarket modified silencer owners to bring their loud pipes out of their hibernation and put it back on their motorcycles to harass us and others.
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 16:47   #228
Senior - BHPian

The current generation today don't ride bullets they way it should. A good freeflow will always give a good sound if ridden sanely but sadly nowadays every "sadak chaap" owns a bullet with those dalda dabbas being installed as so called silencers.
I too own a cl 500 with a wild boar exhaust that never sounds loud as i never ride the bike above 50 inside Pune city,apart from the riding to Mumbai where i maintain the speed between 80-100.Sadly I just mite have to switch back to the bazooka.
Or i might just go for the offroader ones sold by RE.
Old 13th September 2015, 06:39   #229
BHPian

Hi Folks ,
I recently got a QUALITY brand short bottle silencer for my STD-UCE 350 2013 Model post 11,000 kms.The thump is decent, not too loud & not too low.
I have noticed the engine going smooth , as a result the speed has increased.
Also there is a strong recoil (2 out of 10 times) which rarely occured with the stock RE Exhaust. Dont know about the mileage.
Has anybody used the QUALITY brand short bottle silencer for their
UCE bullets ? If yes ?
Kindly share your experience (pros & cons)
Old 13th September 2015, 11:32   #230
BHPian

HEADS UP TO RIDERS OF KERALA - APPLICABLE TO ALL MOTORCYCLES AND NOT JUST BULLETS

As per the dailies, the Transport Commissioner of Kerala has issued strict directions to seize and cancel the registration of motorbikes that are altered/ modified from company specifications without prior permission of the RTO. The modifications include

1. Modification to the enigne
2. Modification to the silencer
3. Modification of handlebars
4. Modification of brakes
Old 13th September 2015, 16:56   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
HEADS UP TO RIDERS OF KERALA - APPLICABLE TO ALL MOTORCYCLES AND NOT JUST BULLETS

As per the dailies, the Transport Commissioner of Kerala has issued strict directions to seize and cancel the registration of motorbikes that are altered/ modified
Bwahaha! I can already imagine the twist those "riders" with those horrible harley type handle bars and those crappy megafones might be in

What sucks is that there are a few sane riders who will be affected too.
Old 13th September 2015, 20:47   #232
BHPian

Quote:

4. Modification of brakes
Wonder what modification that includes.

upgrade to disc brakes not permitted?
slicvic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 11:19   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Wonder what modification that includes.

upgrade to disc brakes not permitted?
It is written in the report as "changes made to the front brakes"- not sure what they mean by it.

If the MV rules are to be strictly adhered to - yes, modification from drum brakes to discs without prior permission of RTO could get you in a tight spot.
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2015, 13:13   #234
BHPian

Quote:
If the MV rules are to be strictly adhered to - yes, modification from drum brakes to discs without prior permission of RTO could get you in a tight spot.
Oh dear, Hope its not enforced to the letter.

My Bullets color differs from the RC, and the beakes have been upgraded to disc brakes.
Old 15th September 2015, 03:36   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

I seriously doubt that any officer would stop a motorcycle which had its front brakes changed from a drum brake to a disk brake.

I also doubt that an officer would ticket a motorcycle that had been repainted unless someone had done it with lewd (obscene) graphics.

As for engine modifications, they are usually not visible with the possible exception of having some of the emission tubes removed and even with these, as many brands of motorcycles come with or without these tubes from the factory so I doubt that an officer would know the difference.

In fact, most non-riders both the general population and the Policemen know little about each motorcycle model and what is "stock" and what is not.

Ape hanger handlebars and loud silencers are another matter.
Even the most ignorant officer can figure out that riders reaching for the sky while riding a machine that can deafen a doorknob at a distance of 100 meters might not be something the factory sold.

The thing that bothers me about this is there may be an officer somewhere who isn't completely honest. (Yes, I know..... Impossible. )

IMO, giving such an officer the power to stop a rider on the off chance that something on their motorcycle isn't factory made and sold on that particular model, is giving him/her the opportunity to use their ignorance to needlessly harass the public. Perhaps for their own financial gain?

Nah! That couldn't happen.
Old 15th September 2015, 21:53   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Oh dear, Hope its not enforced to the letter.

My Bullets color differs from the RC, and the beakes have been upgraded to disc brakes.
It would be better if you get the modifications endorsed in your RC book ASAP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
1)I seriously doubt that any officer would stop a motorcycle which had its front brakes changed from a drum brake to a disk brake.

2)In fact, most non-riders both the general population and the Policemen know little about each motorcycle model and what is "stock" and what is not.
1) Sir, things are really different on this side of the globe As a matter of fact, the vehicle inspections are done mainly raise revenue for Government in the form of fines. So on a routine inspection by the Police if your motorcycle is repainted blue and your RC book says black, you will get a ticket (TR-5 receipt), as they are desperate to meet the target assigned to them.

2) We have to face two types of vehicle inspections:

a) The Police department - who checks the documents and ensures that the helmet law is observed.
b) The Motor Vehicle Inspectors of RTO, whose basic qualification is a Diploma in Automobile Engineering. Most of the Officers know the inside out of an automobile and things get a bit difficult if you are on the offence.

To quote a personal experience - Our family car has punched number plates. You can feel the painted raised digits on the number plate. Couple of years back, while being inspected by the Hon.Mobile Court, I was asked to remit a fine of Rs.100/- for this. Reason the rule says numbers should be painted on the number plate.

Last edited by adrian : 15th September 2015 at 21:55.
Old 16th September 2015, 12:18   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
1. I seriously doubt that any officer would stop a motorcycle which had its front brakes changed from a drum brake to a disk brake.

2. I also doubt that an officer would ticket a motorcycle that had been repainted unless someone had done it with lewd (obscene) graphics.

3. As for engine modifications, they are usually not visible with the possible exception of having some of the emission tubes removed and even with these, as many brands of motorcycles come with or without these tubes from the factory so I doubt that an officer would know the difference.

4. In fact, most non-riders both the general population and the Policemen know little about each motorcycle model and what is "stock" and what is not.

5. Ape hanger handlebars and loud silencers are another matter.
Even the most ignorant officer can figure out that riders reaching for the sky while riding a machine that can deafen a doorknob at a distance of 100 meters might not be something the factory sold.

6. The thing that bothers me about this is there may be an officer somewhere who isn't completely honest. (Yes, I know..... Impossible. )

7. IMO, giving such an officer the power to stop a rider on the off chance that something on their motorcycle isn't factory made and sold on that particular model, is giving him/her the opportunity to use their ignorance to needlessly harass the public. Perhaps for their own financial gain?

Nah! That couldn't happen.
1. You really need to visit India :,) You will easily spot traffic cops turning a blind eye towards polluting (noise as well as smoke) rust buckets (known as city buses and trucks) even jumping red lights, but catching hold of more well to do civilians (who will get harassed visiting police station and courts) who have not violated any law apparently.

2. In India, the color mentioned in the Registration card should match exactly with the color on the vehicle. If there is a mismatch, read the point no.1 about well to do civilians. Although, I seriously doubt how would they discern a "Heather Mist" color from anything that I paint on my vehicle

3. & 4. Yes you are right they cannot. But that will not prevent them from forming a bias against Royal Enfield riders and harassing them time and again. The police always works on biases.

6. & 7. Oh my! The police (and everyone else concerned with law & order) in India works on dishonesty. And corruption. God forbid if you ever come to India and have to visit the Police and the Courts.

Cheers!
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 00:29   #238
BHPian

Hi Folks ,
I recently got a QUALITY brand short bottle silencer for my STD-UCE 350 2013 Model post 11,000 kms.The thump is decent, not too loud & not too low.
I have noticed the engine going smooth , as a result the speed has increased.
Also there is a strong recoil (2 out of 10 times) which rarely occured with the stock RE Exhaust. Dont know about the mileage.
Has anybody used the QUALITY brand short bottle silencer for their
UCE bullets ? If yes ?
Kindly share your experience (pros & cons)
Old 9th October 2015, 11:41   #239
BHPian

Hello.

I've been doing some exterior mods to my 2009 Bullet to make it into a street tracker of sorts. Sticking to the vision I have, I've removed the muffler bit of the exhaust system and kept only a free flow bend pipe (one that extends till the rider footrest). Needless to say, it's way too loud for the road and I was wondering what I can do to bring down the thump sound by whatever dB I can. Hitchcocks have silencer mutes and baffles that fits into pipes and exhaust systems, but I wasn't able to find anything similar on our online markets.

Can anyone advice me as to -

1. how I can fabricate my own baffles/mutes and what I need to keep in mind?
2. where I can source baffles/mutes for bend pipes (I'll have to check, but mostly 35 mm in dia) if there are any e-shops selling them. Do spare parts shop sell them?

Last edited by rbppt : 9th October 2015 at 11:42.
Old 9th October 2015, 12:51   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbppt View Post

Can anyone advice me as to -

1. how I can fabricate my own baffles/mutes and what I need to keep in mind?
2. where I can source baffles/mutes for bend pipes (I'll have to check, but mostly 35 mm in dia) if there are any e-shops selling them. Do spare parts shop sell them?
You can enquire at some Enfield garage if they have the filter pipes used on the older bikes bend pipes. They look like a flute that used to be on the Yezdi's silencers known as flutes.

They were used as catalytic converters on Cast iron and AVL bikes. Each one would be around a feet long. If you can stuff two of them in the pipe and weld it, it will reduce the sound a bit., but also will change the note to a whistle note.
I would have posted a picture, but the one I have is damaged.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks