Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2010, 16:26   #76

I own a 500 LB. I had checked last week at the Jayanagar showroom for the classic upswept silencer and whether it can be fitted on a machismo. I was told that the bend pipe for the classic is wider than the bend pipe for older models, and it ends quite close to the kicker. I saw him change the silencer for a classic before me, and it did look much wider.

I then went and had an el cheapo short bottle plonked in. The thump is better than before, but the bike vibrates like crazy. For all you guys who changed silencers to the short bottle, has the increase in vibration been significant?
Old 7th January 2010, 18:51   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
@Darth Sid-I have been to Chawla after visiting their website and found them to be very overpriced for a few things but the rate for the exhaust, if it is complete with the header pipe, seems fine. I'll be going there for meters n a few accesories which only they seem to stock.
With that long a wheelbase it must be rock solid stable in a straight line but am pretty sure its not good around corners and on the twisties.
I will Strongly suggest Royal Motors,, you can not beat their price for sure.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 7th January 2010, 18:55   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
Bhai if you want genuine RE stuff, then look no further than authorised RE A.S.S or dealership.
Exactly. for genuine you dont need to go to Karol Bagh. You should buy Genuine spares only from A.S.S. because in Karol Bagh 90% probability is you will not get original although spares would be packed in original packing.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 7th January 2010, 22:33   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smenon View Post
I own a 500 LB. I had checked last week at the Jayanagar showroom for the classic upswept silencer and whether it can be fitted on a machismo. I was told that the bend pipe for the classic is wider than the bend pipe for older models, and it ends quite close to the kicker. I saw him change the silencer for a classic before me, and it did look much wider.

I then went and had an el cheapo short bottle plonked in. The thump is better than before, but the bike vibrates like crazy. For all you guys who changed silencers to the short bottle, has the increase in vibration been significant?
First, make sure you have tightened the bolt where the bend pipe meets the muffler and ensure no leaks. Although the bike was quiet before with the stock it still used to vibrate a lot. The bike used to rock back and forth quite noticeably at idle with the stock and it still does with el-cheapo. The mirrors continue to shake as much as they used to before, no difference there either. However, earlier if I revved the bike with it on the centerstand, it would stay put in one place. But now the vibration strong enough to make the bike slide on its centerstand. I used to remember this with my old std350 as well. One plausible explanation is that the relatively freer flowing short bottle isnt dissipating the exhaust pressure as efficiently as the stock does. The stock silencer does manage to completely smother the exhaust. My 2 cents, and I am not going back to stock anytime soon. However, I am considering an experiment that a member of the RE USA forum said got him good results. He drilled 4 1/8" holes in the baffles on either side of the muffler. Further improvements can be had by jettisoning the PAV and the hot tube at the end of the bend pipe.

Impressions from LB500 owners who are running the much more freer flowing Goldstar would also help in understanding this phenomenon. If my theory is plausible, they ought to be seeing more vibration.
Old 7th January 2010, 23:23   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast_of_Burden View Post
First, make sure you have tightened the bolt where the bend pipe meets the muffler and ensure no leaks. Although the bike was quiet before with the stock it still used to vibrate a lot. The bike used to rock back and forth quite noticeably at idle with the stock and it still does with el-cheapo. The mirrors continue to shake as much as they used to before, no difference there either. However, earlier if I revved the bike with it on the centerstand, it would stay put in one place. But now the vibration strong enough to make the bike slide on its centerstand. I used to remember this with my old std350 as well. One plausible explanation is that the relatively freer flowing short bottle isnt dissipating the exhaust pressure as efficiently as the stock does. The stock silencer does manage to completely smother the exhaust. My 2 cents, and I am not going back to stock anytime soon. However, I am considering an experiment that a member of the RE USA forum said got him good results. He drilled 4 1/8" holes in the baffles on either side of the muffler. Further improvements can be had by jettisoning the PAV and the hot tube at the end of the bend pipe.

Impressions from LB500 owners who are running the much more freer flowing Goldstar would also help in understanding this phenomenon. If my theory is plausible, they ought to be seeing more vibration.
I'm running a free flow goldie muffler and an upjetted carb with a K&N pod. My PAV is blanked at both the ends with my hot tube removed. But, the removal of the hot tube has certainly reduced back pressure and as a consequence, a drop in low end punch/torque. And my LB500 vibrates much lesser than I experienced from it in stock form. I run a 15W50(factory recommends 10W40) full synthetic Motul 300V engine oil currently. Previously I used the Veedol SuperSwift 10W40 semi synthetic blend to great results. This, because I run my LB500 at higher speeds which leads to higher temperatures and stresses. My cruising speed too has improved with my LB500 feeling totally unstressed right from an indicated 90 up to 110. I've also managed to find my LB500s sweet spot at idle where I feel negligible vibes from the handlebar, than my erstwhile Yamaha YBX. Yes, I had to fiddle a lot with the carb to get the perfect idle beat with minimal vibes but the effort has been worth it. So, imho, the goldie actually reduces vibes in the higher end of the rev spectrum.

Cheers,

Jay

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 7th January 2010 at 23:26.
Old 8th January 2010, 07:31   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast_of_Burden View Post
I am considering an experiment that a member of the RE USA forum said got him good results. He drilled 4 1/8" holes in the baffles on either side of the muffler.
Will you get the holes drilled? On my '79 Standard, I've a genuine RE silencer with 2 irregular shaped 1 inch holes melted in both baffles. Cost me 20 bucks. The exhaust note is louder but nowhere near as loud as a Goldie. In fact while puttering around, it has a heavy bassy sound. People get this done a lot in Chandigarh. The welder uses two electrodes welded together to reach baffle. After that, the arc does the job. No cutting of the silencer is required. I was surprised to learn that very few people in the Delhi-Noida region know of this. I wonder if this is done in the South.
Old 8th January 2010, 22:22   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post
Will you get the holes drilled? On my '79 Standard, I've a genuine RE silencer with 2 irregular shaped 1 inch holes melted in both baffles. Cost me 20 bucks. The exhaust note is louder but nowhere near as loud as a Goldie. In fact while puttering around, it has a heavy bassy sound. People get this done a lot in Chandigarh. The welder uses two electrodes welded together to reach baffle. After that, the arc does the job. No cutting of the silencer is required. I was surprised to learn that very few people in the Delhi-Noida region know of this. I wonder if this is done in the South.
Sid,
I am really interested in getting this done on my Machismo AVL which i acquired few days back. Please send me your number, i will give you a call or visit your place to see this live.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 10th January 2010, 04:38   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Sid,
I am really interested in getting this done on my Machismo AVL which i acquired few days back. Please send me your number, i will give you a call or visit your place to see this live.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
I know of two welders in Chandigarh who do this on a regular basis. I've got it done on two silencers so far and this guy mostly goes overboard with the holes. In my current muffler, he made the holes a tad too big. I told him to make the sound a little more 'free' than normal and he made it a little 'louder' than normal. Still it's not too loud. Nowhere near as loud as straight-through.

Anyway, you have a PM.
Old 21st January 2010, 01:41   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
I will Strongly suggest Royal Motors,, you can not beat their price for sure.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Royal Motors are way too pricey.They usually cater to foreign customers on Ebay and amazon.
I recently saw one of their listings regarding spring seats which cost Just for Rs 2000 up for sale at Rs 5000.I would not recommend them to anyone.
Old 21st January 2010, 10:43   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post
I have the short bottle silencer on and it sounds good enough for me, so I wont be experimenting with the holes in the stock silencer, unless someone comes along and tells me it is the ticket to bulleting nirvana
Old 23rd January 2010, 16:41   #86

I've seen this asked countless times, but hasn't been answered at all. Is there a way to fully cut out the high end that comes out of a short bottle fitted onto an AVL? The thump is okay for me - well it doesn't match the feel or tone of the CI but that wasn't my expectation too.

The problem is that outside of the tappet clatter, there's a lot of extra sound that comes out. A CI on the other hand is more silent. Has anyone been able to do any mods to get rid to this high end? Or is it just not possible?
Old 23rd January 2010, 20:47   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've seen this asked countless times, but hasn't been answered at all. Is there a way to fully cut out the high end that comes out of a short bottle fitted onto an AVL? The thump is okay for me - well it doesn't match the feel or tone of the CI but that wasn't my expectation too.

The problem is that outside of the tappet clatter, there's a lot of extra sound that comes out. A CI on the other hand is more silent. Has anyone been able to do any mods to get rid to this high end? Or is it just not possible?
First of all, what exactly do you mean by high end?

Cheers,

Jay
Old 25th January 2010, 10:42   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
First of all, what exactly do you mean by high end?

Cheers,

Jay
I meant the shriller higher pitched sound that the AVL engines give out. The thump is there, but it gets muted with the rest of the racket. I've had the tappets adjusted to be as quiet as possible, but the sound doesn't have the charm that I would have expected.

The CI engines have a good bassy note, and don't have any noise outside of it. Of course, if you put a r(o)acket silencer on the CI, it's a different game. This has lead me to think that it should be possible to mute the higher pitched engine sound to give an illusion of a classic thumper.
Old 25th January 2010, 16:18   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I meant the shriller higher pitched sound that the AVL engines give out. The thump is there, but it gets muted with the rest of the racket. I've had the tappets adjusted to be as quiet as possible, but the sound doesn't have the charm that I would have expected.

The CI engines have a good bassy note, and don't have any noise outside of it. Of course, if you put a r(o)acket silencer on the CI, it's a different game. This has lead me to think that it should be possible to mute the higher pitched engine sound to give an illusion of a classic thumper.
Alloy cylinders will make always produce/let out more noise than the CI which actually muffles engine sounds. Even CIs which run alloy barrels become noisier. So, you have to live with it.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 21st February 2010, 00:17   #90
BHPian

Hello Team: I have been offered a Harley Sportster 883 muffler (only one). I have seen a similar one fitted on a Machismo 350, and it looked like a straight fit (slip on).

Except that the owner had fabricated a tab to fix it to the swingarm/subframe (I am not techically inclined so my description may not be accurate).

The sound on the AVL-engined Machismo was beautiful and law-abiding. I was told that I would have to "rejet my carb" if I fit the Sportster muffler.

What I want to know is: will I have a problem with the long arm of the law if I fit this muffler/silencer? As I said, the sound it produces is not a racket, and it looks quite good on the bike, though rather short.

My bike is a 1991 Enfield Standard. Thanks for any advice on this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks