Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2009, 02:04   #46
BHPian

Shashank,
I'm new to team-bhp and new to the NCR region region as well. I've just started to explore Karol Bagh but mostly addresses found on the internet. For example, Chawla Auto Spares has its own website. Now, considering these guys have a website, there stuff should be quite expensive.
What I'm saying is that the fishtail-type silencer in the last pic (though it looks a bit different from the traditional fishtail silencer) is available at this shop for Rs 3500. Now I feel this is an exorbitant amount they're charging but I think it may be made to order. They also sell a custom bend pipe and silencer for Rs 1650 (Rs 1850 for the 500) that looks just like the upswept one on the new Classic 350 and 500. I've been haunted by it ever since I saw its picture. I really want to buy it but I'm trying assess my budget, first. Chances are I may buy it this month or may not. Let's see...
Considering you're from New Delhi I was hoping you would have some idea about what the best place is in Karol Bagh for such parts. Best place in terms of quality, variety and, of course, price. Any inputs?

PS: Sorry for the lengthy post. Don't know how to keep it short!
Old 2nd December 2009, 02:21   #47
BHPian

About short bottle sliencers, I didn't know they could be such a pain to find or manage. Since I have a '79 Std with the long bend pipe, I have experience only with short bottle silencers. Till date, I've used only one Genuine RE short bottle short neck silencer which sounded just like the stock silencer nowadays, only a bit louder. The quality difference between genuine RE and 'desi' silencers is significant. Chrome quality and sound quality are far superior. The one I have used to make that husky whistling sound on killing the throttle like new stock silencers do. That was before I turned 18 and spoilt it. I got holes melted in the baffles (without cutting open the bottle) to get a throatier exhaust note and lost that whistling noise. I replaced it later with a desi short bottle (Silman) as the RE one became too noisy. The desi one emitted a slight phus-phus sound with the beat. Used it for some time until Noida's blessed waters corroded the whole thing. I brought the old RE noisy silencer back from Chandigarh as the chrome is still intact and am using it now. Not nearly as loud as a straight-though short bottle. Roars at high RPM but has a heavy bassy sound at low revs.

Just sharing my experience. If my posts are painfully long to read with little reward in the end, please let me know and I'll work on it.
Old 2nd December 2009, 12:30   #48
BHPian

hey guys,

can anybody explain in a little more detailed way about the carburettor settings also, I mean i understand rich and lean, but what i do not understand is pilot jet and main jet and how to know which setting are you running. I have been wanting to check this on my LB 500, but i know nothing about it..
@jay..??
Since i was not sure where to post this i am posting it here, please let me know if this is OT.

Thanks.

Happy Riding !
Old 3rd December 2009, 13:58   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurust View Post
hey guys,

can anybody explain in a little more detailed way about the carburettor settings also, I mean i understand rich and lean, but what i do not understand is pilot jet and main jet and how to know which setting are you running. I have been wanting to check this on my LB 500, but i know nothing about it..
@jay..??
Since i was not sure where to post this i am posting it here, please let me know if this is OT.

Thanks.

Happy Riding !
To know the size of the stock jets your LB500 came with you have to first bleed(empty fuel in the carb) the carb by unscrewing the bleed screw at the bottom of the float chamber. Then, loosen the intake manifold to turn the carb sideways. Unscrew the float bowl of your carb. Then, you need to unscrew the jets. Main jet will be screw with a larger dia while the pilot will have a smaller dia. Usually, most LB500s feature a 15 pilot jet and a 110 main jet, thus making them severely lean. A few early examples of the LB500s came with 125 main jets. Only RE knows why they changed the main jet on later models. Hope I've answered your query.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 3rd December 2009, 17:55   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
To know the size of the stock jets your LB500 came with you have to first bleed(empty fuel in the carb) the carb by unscrewing the bleed screw at the bottom of the float chamber. Then, loosen the intake manifold to turn the carb sideways. Unscrew the float bowl of your carb. Then, you need to unscrew the jets. Main jet will be screw with a larger dia while the pilot will have a smaller dia. Usually, most LB500s feature a 15 pilot jet and a 110 main jet, thus making them severely lean. A few early examples of the LB500s came with 125 main jets. Only RE knows why they changed the main jet on later models. Hope I've answered your query.

Cheers,

Jay
I am keen on up sizing the jets, especially the pilot. But where to buy? Sources in B'lore or Hyderabad would be perfect.
Old 3rd December 2009, 18:47   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast_of_Burden View Post
I am keen on up sizing the jets, especially the pilot. But where to buy? Sources in B'lore or Hyderabad would be perfect.
Forget about pilots in Bangalore and Hyderabad. If you are lucky, some Bajaj distributor may procure a pilot jet for you. I heard that CV carb jets are available in Delhi. I bought my larger pilots from Enfield Motorcycles, USA. My friend, Chinmay Dangre of Pune, drills out main jets for me. PM me if you want his number.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 3rd December 2009, 19:37   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
I bought my larger pilots from Enfield Motorcycles, USA.
I will try and source from the USA as well, I am attaching links below.

Genuine Mikuni Main Jets (AVL/Electra) - Performance - Parts & Accessories - Royal Enfield Online Store

Genuine Mikuni Pilot Jets - Performance - Parts & Accessories - Royal Enfield Online Store

Let us say, I am limited to purchasing 3 values of each, which ones should I get? Even better, has an optimal combination already been determined? 125 Mains with a 25 pilot seems like a popular combination.
Old 3rd December 2009, 21:32   #53
BHPian

Urgent

Guys i have just bought a second hand 04 Electra 4S a few days back. Its running a Short Bottle with original header/bent pipe. There the welding marks on the muffler which indicate that one of the two filters has been removed which explains the loud sharp shrill much like what the Rocket produces. I TOTALLY hate hearing that racket from the Rocket. By design the Rocket seems like an expansion chamber and thats probably why the sound and i have heard a Goldie, locally made in delhi, was'nt a fan of that either. As Gordon said, it looked out of place too on an Electra IMO.
For me if its a Bullet, then it has to have that deep bass powerful THUMP and nothing less.

I am going in for a new Short Bottle tomorrow. BUT my queries are:-

1. Are these one made to similar spec ones available in the 50's, 60's.......till the long ugly ones came in?
2. Are they are a little free-flowing unlike the newer ones? What i mean is would they classify as performance enhancing if coupled with a K n N and re-jetting?
3. What brands should i be looking for? The only distinction i could gather was that genuine RE or close to genuine RE ones would be heavy and the others are lighter.
4. Any recommended shops in Karol Bagh, New Delhi?

Please dont hate me for the following but i really hate how the OE header/bent pipe looks. What i want is the following design :-
All about Exhausts / Mufflers / Silencers for RE Bullets-sideview.jpg

Another wild theory. I think i am wrong but i am taking my chances and would really appreciate your views on this. With the above design, not only looks (strictly my personal POV, i am sure most like the original) will improve for me but ideally low-end grunt too. Like in cars or any multi-cylinder vehicle, longer headers equal to better low-end grunt and shorter ones for more top-end, i am guessing the same theory should apply on a big single too????
Old 4th December 2009, 00:10   #54
BHPian

Abhik,
I can answer only a few of your queries and wonder if my answers are useful:
1. The short bottle has changed little in past 2 decades that I know of. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) Don't know if it's the same as the design from the '50s or '60s.
2. Short bottles are not that performance enhancing but you will definitely notice a difference in performance between the short bottle type and the oxygen cylinder type even if you don't use a K&N filter. The short bottle causes the exhaust gases to travel a distance three times the length of the bottle before exiting the tailpipe. If you cut one open, you'll see.
3. In brands, I'm aware only of Silman and Chakarbarty. They're cheap and ok but I'm sure something better will be available in Karol Bagh. The RE one has superb chrome (doesn't rust and if it does, the rust doesn't spread.) and sound. It contains perforated tubes and is built well so you get a nice clean sound. The 'desi' ones may generated some unwanted overtones. Don't know if any aftermarket piece will compare to the RE one.
4. Well, I'm new to the NCR so if you find a good place, let me know!

I won't discuss your theory until I have my facts right.

By the way, where did you get the pic. I personally like the round bend - the one you hate. It looks more retro. But, the angular bend will look better with styling like the one in the pic. I like the long wheelbase dragster like stance.
Old 4th December 2009, 03:57   #55
BHPian

Thanks Bro! Ill try and search tomorrow and i was thinking of visiting the person who designed the header-back exhaust for my car. Maybe he could be of help to me.

The Bull in the pic was found on google. Notice the aggresive angle of the rear shocks, the wheelbae has been extended by 6inches. Its a 500CI in Singapore. Try searching for -Vell's Custom Enfield.......
Such a style is called Bobber. I just love Bobbers to Choppers.
Old 4th December 2009, 04:14   #56
BHPian

Getting that kind of exhaust pipe and silencer for a 350CI in Karol Bagh won't be that hard.
The angle of the rear shocks is what first caught my eye. I wonder how a Bullet behaves with that kind of a mod. 6 inches is quite a bit.
I've seen only a handful of bobbers on the net, not enough to identify this as one.
Good luck with your search. I hope I'll soon have the Classic 500 type silencer on my '79 Std soon. Will cost me Rs 1650 at this place I found - Chawla Auto Spares.
Old 4th December 2009, 11:34   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast_of_Burden View Post
I will try and source from the USA as well, I am attaching links below.

Genuine Mikuni Main Jets (AVL/Electra) - Performance - Parts & Accessories - Royal Enfield Online Store

Genuine Mikuni Pilot Jets - Performance - Parts & Accessories - Royal Enfield Online Store

Let us say, I am limited to purchasing 3 values of each, which ones should I get? Even better, has an optimal combination already been determined? 125 Mains with a 25 pilot seems like a popular combination.
Raj,

I am running a goldie plus a K&N free flow pod. So, I have a main jet of 150 and a pilot of 20. My LB500 flutters at WOT in the lower three gears. So, 145 would be perfect for me. I've tested 140 and found it to be on the leaner side. So, I'm erring on the richer side with a 150. In your case, 115 or 120 main should just about be perfect at Hyderabad's altitude for the bottle silencer mod. I'd advise you to buy main jets starting from 115 to 130 in increments of 5 sizes. Buy a couple of pilots, 15, 17.5 and 20. They should be more than enough to jet around even if you decide to bolt on a free flow filter. Also, since the shipping from the States is pretty expensive, you might buy a few more larger main jets so that you can save on future shipping costs just in case you decide to do a high flow intake. Meanwhile, you have a PM.

Cheers,

Jay

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 4th December 2009 at 11:35.
Old 4th December 2009, 12:19   #58
BHPian

@Darth Sid-I have been to Chawla after visiting their website and found them to be very overpriced for a few things but the rate for the exhaust, if it is complete with the header pipe, seems fine. I'll be going there for meters n a few accesories which only they seem to stock.
With that long a wheelbase it must be rock solid stable in a straight line but am pretty sure its not good around corners and on the twisties.
Old 4th December 2009, 14:03   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
Please dont hate me for the following but i really hate how the OE header/bent pipe looks. What i want is the following design :-
Attachment 238601
I think the bent pipe in the picture is the ones that came as OE with CI 500s. You should still be able to buy then as RE genuine parts...
Old 4th December 2009, 16:33   #60
BHPian

@jingaboysr - The bend pipe in the picture will be available from RE stores only for the CI500 and not for the CI350. They have different diameters. I've never seen a stock 350 pipe shaped like the stock 500 pipe. Do correct me if I'm mistaken.

@abhik - Yes, some of their stuff is grossly overpriced, like the old model ammeter - the one with the black dial, white markings and no backlight. They sell it for Rs 250. I think there is a Minda made old model ammeter available in Karol Bagh but I have yet to check its price. Which type of meters are you looking for? Rs 1650 is the price of the complete exhaust. The bend pipe's end has been bent upwards. You must have seen it on the website. I haven't examined the chrome quality, yet. Any other shop you know of for this kind of stuff?
Now, I'm thinking of diverting those funds to a new electrical system. Want to convert the existing 6V system to 12V.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks