Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2010, 15:54   #151
BHPian

Randhawa fair enough. Even I am waiting for the bike to finish 3000kms so that I can cross 100+ once in a while. As of now the bike is doing well upto 90. And the sound is not too harsh on the years as well. But I have some issues with the tire alignment. Not too comfortable while changing lanes. Feels like the bike is going to fall. Otherwise the bike is fine.

By the way how are the other C5's running in your area. Are they also facing similar issues?
Old 9th March 2010, 15:56   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Dont know if I got a lemon or rest of the c5 gang will turn into lemon later on. If you never go into three figure speed then chances of turning into lemon are rare. Saying that I never bought the bike for riding between 80-90. If I cant ride on average at 110 by spending 1.3L then I should have saved my money buy buying a smaller CC bike which would far out run the bull in case of reliability.
I am pretty certain that an average of 110 will leave the bike stressed out. I have never touched 110 on my 500 except just the one time, and even then, I don't remember crossing much beyond 110, as you would have to if you want to run averages of 110.
My 500 is happiest at 80-90. As am I, on the lower end of that scale frankly, given the state of the roads, the road culture prevalent, my confidence in all the cycle parts including the brakes and tyres, and my riding skills and reactions. I keep off the trafficked highways, and on smaller roads, it allows me the time to enjoy the scenery, where even 80 is fast. And I would not prefer the smaller bikes, just because of the lower speeds. On a Bullet, it really is more about the journey than just getting there.
My two cents!

Last edited by Sawyer : 9th March 2010 at 16:03.
Old 9th March 2010, 18:44   #153
Senior - BHPian

@Indian21r- Please check one thing, count the no of teeth's on the axle shaft spline on booth the sides and also check for loose shock absorber bolts on the top. I had the same issue which I can say is solved 90% by doing couple of things.

When I got my first service done, the mechanics tightened up the chain but did not aligned the rear axle adjusting spline. on one side it was 12 notches and other side it was 13. So my bike was pulling on one side and giving me scary moments above 100. I got that sorted and handling improved drastically. Then I tried reducing the rear tyre pressure to 27Psi as normally I ride solo with single seat. That removed the twitchiness to 90%. Rest 10% needs to be worked upon by RE on the swing-arm.

I am 100% sure, your problem is the the notches not equal on booth sides. Get that checked and let us know how it goes.

As in my city, there are enough C5 to see around once in a week. But most of the C5 owners have bought the bike to ride on weekend or as showpiece to park it on their driveway so 90% of them have not even done 1500km. So not many problems have been reported.

So far I am the only one who has done around 7K and with most of the problems.
I have come across couple of C5 with small problems.

One had a misfiring issue which gave that owner sleepless night and after changing most of the electrical's it was traced to a thimble on the ignition switch which had to much grease on it.

Other C5 had the self start relay going dead on him.

Few others with starting issues but not so bad. Only taking 2/3 cranks to start but thats it. I have also noticed that most of them have the same noise which I have been complaining about since first week of buying it but mine increased to intolerable metal nocking at 6300k.

@Sawyer- Do you have LB or C5?. I still say that C5 can do 110 effortlessly and for a longer stretch without giving a hint of overheating. Thats from my experience so far. I blame my problem to excess of carbon and high compression pressure which the piston is not designed to tolerate.

I do agree with you on the safety side, considering the roads we have out here and specially the journey taken at moderate speeds to enjoy the surrounding on a bull.

Apart from that we all have one thing in common, which is the black smoke and upswept ex breaking wind randomly.
Old 9th March 2010, 20:12   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post

@Sawyer- Do you have LB or C5?.
A 500LB. Even if I had the newer one, I would not cross 100! I haven't seen enough difference in its build to give me the extra confidence, road conditions permitting.
Old 9th March 2010, 21:12   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Randhawa fair enough. Even I am waiting for the bike to finish 3000kms so that I can cross 100+ once in a while. As of now the bike is doing well upto 90. And the sound is not too harsh on the years as well. But I have some issues with the tire alignment. Not too comfortable while changing lanes. Feels like the bike is going to fall. Otherwise the bike is fine.

By the way how are the other C5's running in your area. Are they also facing similar issues?
Sorry to say this but, almost every C5 owner is reporting high speed instability. This is an issue that needs to be solved by RE on a priority basis before people start losing lives. And this isn't just on the domestic C5s, the export versions also have some high speed stability issues, which while not as pronounced as the domestic ones as the export versions have way better rubber, is still a niggling issue. This is in sharp contrast to my LB500 or most of the CIs I have ridden, which were rock solid at 120+ also.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 9th March 2010, 23:00   #156
Senior - BHPian

From what i have had inputs on it should be the front smaller section tire.The 90/90 tire.

A friend here has shifted to 100/90 in the front and according to him its now rock steady.He's frequently doing long rides which involves high speeds as he is a fast rider. If possible i'd suggest one of the C5 owners try this and see what results are there.
Old 10th March 2010, 00:12   #157
Senior - BHPian

I wanted the same tread as on the present tyre, I quite like the grip. But 100/90 is not available in that. I'll still go for a bigger one and once in far all clear out the doubts in my mind.

Hey Navpreet, are any other brand available apart from Indian ones down here?
Old 10th March 2010, 10:59   #158
Senior - BHPian

Well i have pirelli sport demon on my bike.its a fantastic soft rubber tire with great grip.readily available here in dehradun in any size in 18 inches.
Old 10th March 2010, 13:57   #159
Senior - BHPian

Navpreet could you please do me a favor if you can. Can you find out the price and availability of Pirelli Sport Demon 100/90 - 18 M/C 56H TL for front?
Old 10th March 2010, 16:04   #160
BHPian

I am still not confident on the factory fitted tires. The grip does not give confidence while driving. Also I was told by the sales guys that we have to be carefully in rains especially on tiled roads.

by the way how come the initial reports mentioned that bike was stable at 130+ on stock tires?
Old 10th March 2010, 17:58   #161
BHPian

I can only compare with a Pulsar as I have no experience with other Bullets. It feels like bike is going to fall in turns, it is scary on inclined road turns like in ghat sections even at slow,medium speeds. I am doubtful about tires being culprits here. Same old frame takes 12-15kg more weight in classic. I guess there are more factors like the centre of gravity, frame/swing arm design, weight distribution etc.

Last edited by RECL350 : 10th March 2010 at 18:00.
Old 10th March 2010, 20:24   #162
Senior - BHPian

Will enquire and let you know Randhawa.
Old 11th March 2010, 22:19   #163
Senior - BHPian

@Indian21r- where did you read about the stability at 130+ even though it does not cross 125 on straight roads.

Front tyre wont slipp on tiles but rear tyre will. Even a small wet buddy patch on road will make your bike slip sideways.

@Navpreet- Thanks ji, let me know when you get the quote.

@Recl350- Dude its a whole new frame from ground up. If they had used the old frame, I bet it would still be stable.
Old 13th March 2010, 23:17   #164
Senior - BHPian

Randhawa i checked out with that guy.100/90 is not available in pirelli sport demon.the 90/90 pirelli sport demon is for 2250. and another pirelli model of which the name the dealer had forgotten is for approx 2500-2600.

Going by a friend who recently got pirelli sport demon from chandigarh, it is Rs.200 cheaper in chandigarh than in dehradun.

I'd advise you search the tire market there as well.now this tire is readily available in most cities.
Old 14th March 2010, 00:27   #165
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Navpreet for finding out the prices. Prices seems reasonable considering MRF rear goes for Rs1500. Ok, so your guy does not have it. I looked at all the treads of Pirelli and the most suitable I found was the sport demon. Chandigarh has its own little surprises, not long ago I found a dealer for Motul products who has 300v and now you say your friend got one from here. I'll look around and see who keeps them down here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks