Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2011, 08:47   #841
BHPian

Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

People come here and complain that ford have no right to price it above *premium brand*, which is utter nonsense. If one compares *premium brand* offering to Ford's, it clear that Ford had way superior built car. However current pricing itself no way justifies for vehicle that they are giving. Market will put Ford in its place.

Ford may be fixed the price for 1.6 with all 6 air bags and all the other goodies that Mustang is talking about, then someone in marketing decided to cut every feature that comes in India! Part of the problem is also may be change in govt regulation on exercise tax on automotive parts also. Some of the parts required import only making cost prohibitive to provide at C segment level. Still I don't think providing 6 air bags are prohibitive to cost!

The 1.5 spec is very good for customer in reduced insurance (Which is also included in Ford claims 40% reduction in maintenance).

However many segment first claims all are ridiculous. Just because it has Boron steel doesn't make car's safety rating shoot upto roof. We don't have any technical comparison of implementation of ABS, EBD with BA in C segment cars. That would have made fare comparison which car has superior components! But absence of these test result means each car in this segment provide all that is needed, hence equal.

I am way disappointed in Ford for lack of child safety feature. When these can be provided in other markets why not in India. Ford is selling child car seats, can they be fixed with tether hooks? There is no mention of switching off of passenger Airbag. Only passenger seat belt warning. At this price I expect weight sensing warning system, auto door lock based on speed.

The advanced bluetooth integration is good, but not deal maker for many. Figo like blue tooth connectivity would also would do with steering controls.

EPAS with Pull blah is just bull! I am not sure how much this is used in every day driving. Highway driving it may be useful! But driver will always can do it by himself.

NVH is first and most useful feature. But I think competition will catch up.

Class leading climate control, really? What does it leads. Isn't that other manufacturer too provide the same. Let us compare ANHV CC vs NFS CC vs Linea CC. Ford give data to prove your claim.

Fiesta Class also has 430 lts of boot space but wheel arch protruding way too much in to boot. Not sure how much of 430 ltr NFS is usable. I have SXI, in which effectively around 30 ltr lost due to rare speakers. I hoped that due to high boot lid, NFS will have better boot space, one word *disappointed*. There are no 60:40 Split. Ford claims of 100% foldable rear seats makes it waste of rare space when you need to pickup some one from Airport. Fords claim of Fiesta is customized to Indian requirement also wrong in here. Did they every visit any airport and saw how Indians give farewell to their family/relatives/friends? If they did, they would have know that they won't travel alone with passenger but, entire family tree travels! You need to give max space Ford! Ford lack someone with common sense/knowledge in design department.

I am perfectly happy to pay little above the competition for Fords handling. I will always prefer Ford handling than anyone in this segment. But that would also means I expect Ford to charge me fare! Why would they want to rob me!

If I replace my car today it would be Vento. Had Ford priced NFS 75K lesser it would be NFS.

Last edited by RaguHolla : 18th July 2011 at 08:49.
Old 18th July 2011, 09:15   #842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
@GTO,

space and FE of Honda City,
In short, it combines the biggest strengths of all its competitors.
PYSO,

Are you sure about the space? Because my experience when I visited the Ford showroom was different. The rear seat is meant for only 2 adults. Fitting 3 average adults is definitely difficult, if not impossible but a three passenger rear seat long rive will be very very uncomfortable.
Old 18th July 2011, 11:31   #843
BHPian

Quote:
@GTO,

You seem to know the answer.
Its USP is that it matches the looks of Fluidic Verna, space and FE of Honda City, and Power, ride, handling of Vento Diesel and T-Jet.
I know most of us haven't yet driven the Fiesta but most auto reviews seem to suggest that the power is lacking in this car especially when compared to the Vento Diesel. The Fiesta would have been great if they had decided not to trim the engine down to 1.5L and given us the power wedded to their awesome suspension.

I find it a little strange that most self admitted auto enthusiasts tend to concentrate more on high speed cornering rather than how quickly the car gets to high speeds.

Sorry to rant, and I mean no offense to anyone, but I was seriously considering buying this car and was deeply disappointed with their engine choice. I had owned a Ford Mustang in the US and that car was great (power + high speed stability).
Old 18th July 2011, 11:32   #844
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
PYSO,

Are you sure about the space? Because my experience when I visited the Ford showroom was different. The rear seat is meant for only 2 adults. Fitting 3 average adults is definitely difficult, if not impossible but a three passenger rear seat long rive will be very very uncomfortable.
Never seen or driven this car. I went by the review on the first page of this thread.

What you say about the rear seat being meant for only 2 adults doesn't sound believable, however. What sort of adults? The super-super-size sort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
I know most of us haven't yet driven the Fiesta but most auto reviews seem to suggest that the power is lacking in this car especially when compared to the Vento Diesel. The Fiesta would have been great if they had decided not to trim the engine down to 1.5L and given us the power wedded to their awesome suspension.
How much of power would you use in the bumper-to-bumper city traffic of India?
Ford has done the right thing, I feel.. Traded in the extra unusable power for FE. (Remember the NHC - low on power, but high on FE.. and used to sell like hot cakes... the ANHC messed all that up...)

Last edited by PYSO : 18th July 2011 at 11:38.
Old 18th July 2011, 13:09   #845
Senior - BHPian

Anyone has an idea about OTR bangalore of the new fiesta?? I hope the entry level diesel variant hasnt breached the 10 lakh barrier, atleast in Bangalore!
Old 18th July 2011, 13:23   #846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post

I am way disappointed in Ford for lack of child safety feature. When these can be provided in other markets why not in India. Ford is selling child car seats, can they be fixed with tether hooks? There is no mention of switching off of passenger Airbag. Only passenger seat belt warning. At this price I expect weight sensing warning system, auto door lock based on speed.

EPAS with Pull blah is just bull! I am not sure how much this is used in every day driving. Highway driving it may be useful! But driver will always can do it by himself.
Just FYI the car does have auto door lock based on speed. And pull drift compensation is certainly a useful feature.
carfreak77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 13:33   #847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Anyone has an idea about OTR bangalore of the new fiesta?? I hope the entry level diesel variant hasnt breached the 10 lakh barrier, atleast in Bangalore!
Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review-style.jpg
Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review-titanium.jpg
Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review-titanium.jpg
Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review-trend.jpg
optimist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 14:53   #848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@GTO,

You seem to know the answer.
Its USP is that it matches the looks of Fluidic Verna, space and FE of Honda City, and Power, ride, handling of Vento Diesel and T-Jet.
I am sorry but that seems stretching it a bit. The ANHV looks way better esp rear end. Personally, the ANHC also looks better than the New Fiesta. ANHC power can't be matched by the Ford 1.5 Petrol. The Ford 1.5 diesel can't match the ANHV power. FE could be matched or slightly better for the diesel variant, but we have to wait for ownership reports. As the reviews have pointed out, the engines lack the 'grunt' for sporty driving, though the handling is good. All in all, it seems like a jack of all trades w/o appealing to anyone segment particularly. And then the price bomb obliterates the 'allrounder' possibility.
Old 18th July 2011, 15:08   #849
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Never seen or driven this car. I went by the review on the first page of this thread.

What you say about the rear seat being meant for only 2 adults doesn't sound believable, however. What sort of adults? The super-super-size sort?
The additional brake light at the center (top) of back window is around 3-4 inches thick and it comes exactly over the person who sits in the middle. A person of 5'8 - 5'9 would be scrapping this break light when going through bumps on the road. Add that to the semi-bump on the floor, it is not feasible to take 3 people in the back for longer periods.

Quote:
How much of power would you use in the bumper-to-bumper city traffic of India?
Ford has done the right thing, I feel.. Traded in the extra unusable power for FE. (Remember the NHC - low on power, but high on FE.. and used to sell like hot cakes... the ANHC messed all that up...)
IMO, FE also has to do a lot with the driver skills, a lot more than the vehicle (for a particular segment). Seen fellow BHPians get 18-21 kmph on diesel sedans, at the same time have seen other hit single digits too.

Similarly, the additional power is an individual preference. My colleague hardly goes beyond 70-80 on his i20 - I keep joking around him to trade his car for my M800

@PYSO, overall no-one's saying the car's bad - just that the pricing could have been more competitive.
Old 18th July 2011, 15:23   #850
BHPian

Sat in the new Fiesta yesterday. Much cramped than I would have imagined but looks nice.
Didn't have time for a TD but the dealer was insisting me on having one.

The showroom was totally empty. Overheard, they haven't been able to sell even one new Fiesta yet.

Will be tough for Ford to be able to sell this with this kinda pricing. Lets see how July sales numbers are.

IMHO reduce price and watch the sales happen.

Cheers
Old 18th July 2011, 15:28   #851
Senior - BHPian

I just think cars are just becoming way too expensive! 11.7 lakhs OTR for the base diesel variant! The competition is not cheap either. I checked out the Linea, the base active is about 9.15 lakhs OTR and it has no features absolutely. So my guess is that the Emotion variant of Linea would be at around 10.75 to 11 lakhs. And with Vento and New verna also in this similar price range, i dont think it is right for Ford to expect customers to shell out more, especially when fords have a perception of high maintenance atleast in India.
By the way, off topic though, car prices seem to be just shooting thru the roof!
When I bought my dzire VDI in 2008, I paid just 6.6 lakhs OTR bangalore. Now it costs 7.6 Lakhs! one lakh hike in 3 years? And the Linea--I was checking out the base active 3-4 months ago and it was in the range of 8.4 lakhs {I dont remember exactly} and now 4 months later it is 9.15??
Does this mean that it is now impossible to get a decently equipped diesel sedan car{just with ABS and airbags} under 10 lakhs?? I'm leaving out the Etios, Dzire, Manza, Logan out of this as they are the entry level cars.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 15:28   #852

I got a call from Lathangi sales rep, I had walked in on the 10th to check out the car. He was honest enough to admit that everyone at the dealership was taken aback at the pricing of the car. He said they were expecting to sell only 30-40 cars per month . Anyway he asked me what features I would not miss on a stripped down variant if one were to be launched, and was patient enough to note them down. Said he would send it to Ford as feedback.
Old 18th July 2011, 15:32   #853

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Does this mean that it is now impossible to get a decently equipped diesel sedan car{just with ABS and airbags} under 10 lakhs?? I'm leaving out the Etios, Dzire, Manza, Logan out of this as they are the entry level cars.
The Optra Magnum? Saw an ad in the paper today quoting 8.68 lakhs. Not sure if it is the LS or LT variant.
Old 18th July 2011, 15:34   #854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post
The showroom was totally empty. Overheard, they haven't been able to sell even one new Fiesta yet.

Will be tough for Ford to be able to sell this with this kinda pricing. Lets see how July sales numbers are.
How is it in Bangalore? I am guessing its easy for people to pick Vento or Verna instead. Or maybe pay 1-2 lacs more and get a Cruze. Overall, the reaction i hear from friends and enthusiasts is lukewarm.

I went to see the car and sat inside it. Backseat is more cramped than Verna/City. The looks are boring and comes last after ANHV, ANHC, Vento. The car didn't interest me enough to take it for a spin, as GTO's review clearly indicated this is not a drivers car.
Old 18th July 2011, 15:44   #855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
How is it in Bangalore? I am guessing its easy for people to pick Vento or Verna instead. Or maybe pay 1-2 lacs more and get a Cruze. Overall, the reaction i hear from friends and enthusiasts is lukewarm.

I went to see the car and sat inside it. Backseat is more cramped than Verna/City. The looks are boring and comes last after ANHV, ANHC, Vento. The car didn't interest me enough to take it for a spin, as GTO's review clearly indicated this is not a drivers car.
I was amazed the kind of foot falls VW is getting and the stark opposite at Ford even though the Vento is almost a year old. VWs showroom was jam packed yesterday. I really do not fancy the Vento but looks like there are lots of others who do.

Man so much I wanted this Fiesta to be the car for me and what an anti climax now.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks