Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2011, 13:26   #721
BHPian

Re: Ford Fiesta : Test Drive & Review

hehehehe... cant stop sneering at the price.
And now... Look at the extra accessories. One would have mistaken them to be all available in the top model.
Wassup Ford? "OD of OC?" (overdose of overconfidence?)
Old 15th July 2011, 13:28   #722
Distinguished - BHPian

I read someone saying that the pricing is to create some place for the hatch which will come later. So to address this concern, if I were to make a call, I would have still launched this car 50-60K lesser than current prices and slowly increased the cost by around 60K in the next couple of years assuming the hatch will come only in 2 years. Even my swift has gone thru a 30K hike in the last 2 years, so a 60K for a sedan almost double the price is acceptable.

If Ford starts giving discounts and limited editions for NFS, it would just be unfair for a new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
....more because, the widespread expectation was to undercut the competition.
Regarding "undercutting the competition", I expected them to price the car competitively with others in the segment, keeping it on par.

Quote:
The Trend variant itself is equipped on par (or above) with the likes of Top end Vento / City.
I agree with your statement that some variants are equipped very competitively with the top end variants. But I still don't see any justification in the Titanium+ variants priced above Verna.

Quote:
The fact is Ford really cannot match with Hyundai on sales chart – even if they price the Fiesta below Verna. Suzuki and Hyundai enjoy unmatched fan following in our country,
So are you saying Ford should not even bother to check whether they can earn some market share from others? Ford lost it out because their A** was way too expensive compared to the rest two. Since they have already addressed it, they should try to market their products really competitive. It would not do good for them to believe that "we will anyway have lesser sales, so lets price it more than the competition".

Again you compared two varinats from Fiesta & Verna and found out that the variants are almost equally equipped. How many people will bother to do it? This is where pricing plays a good role. I would have loved to see a base variant [below the current base version] around 7-7.5L max which has lesser equipment than having a Titanium+ variant with just 2 or 3 added features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak77 View Post
I fail to understand how many people on the forum are talking about how good the handling of the fiesta is without even test driving it!!
Every car / brand has some DNA associated with it. And Ford has "handling" written all over it; like Toyota has reliability, Maruti - superb TCO, Fiat - build quality & stability and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
So what's your call now ? I remember you waiting for the new NFS before finalizing on Classic. any new contentions ?
I never had Classic in my list. I am looking for a car only by next year and will wait to see the new variants coming in till then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingForIndia View Post
I am impressed with the personalisations, if I were in the market for the car, would have considered the Air Dams for sure :-)
Loved the steering and the illuminated door scruffs. (Illimunated door knobs are way too cool)
If I buy the NFS, I would go for

1. Air dams
2. Door scuff plates
3. Illumintaed gear knob.

I am still a bit of that "bling" guy !

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 15th July 2011 at 13:49.
Old 15th July 2011, 13:36   #723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Hey poitive this means more fun for me on the new car price check and discount thread. Shall visit the ford showrooms once the initial euphoria dies down and discounts start pouring in.
@mdsaab, without being quoted (and the auto-PM that follows), I would have almost missed this post, especially in this busier-than-Old-Delhi-roads thread!!!

Just thinking, Discounts may start after they mop up some of those in the Verna/Vento waiting line.

Then 'mdsaab' the (almost) official negotiator of the forum can get us the news on the best possible deals in his 'home' thread (the price check and discounts thread)!!

Would prove to be a terrible strategy for Ford if they need to offer discounts soon after a launch, when they are trying to position themselves as a premium brand!
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 13:38   #724
BHPian

What's the point in Launching the car so late in the day???
I thought Ford will out price the competition!!! But they have done the opposite - outpriced themselves.
Firstly the model looks Japanesey, the Petrol is pared down... a huge accessories list if you wanna get the real thang!
Never thought i would feel that a Hyundai is the best option in the segment!

Is there a "S" model coming with the 120 hp option?
Man! this launch was a serious let down...
Old 15th July 2011, 14:02   #725
BHPian

Started hearing about a few cancellations, here in Hyderabad.

Now is the time for Hyundai and VW to sit up and regig the assembly line to churn more of their beauties, Verna and Vento respectively.

All the best to Ford with their sales
Old 15th July 2011, 14:30   #726
BHPian

I studied the feature specs carefully, and from what I can see, the Fiesta Petrol Trend variant is about as well equipped as the Honda City V MT.

Prices in Bangalore suggest that the Fiesta is 13k more. That is indeed a tough proposition. Will you forego a juicy iVTEC City for a slightly underwhelming Petrol Fiesta?

On the other hand, the ride and handling of the Fiesta is being as suggested as class-leading (or atleast on par with the Vento), in which case, this is a really tough question to answer.

For the sake of being fresh, I'd prefer the Fiesta. But seriously, why did Ford not launch the 1.6?? It'd even justify the pricing they have in place right now.
Old 15th July 2011, 15:14   #727
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
If Ford starts giving discounts and limited editions for NFS, it would just be unfair for a new car.
Perfectly agree. And it will be quite suicidal to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious
But I still don't see any justification in the Titanium+ variants priced above Verna.
I see nothing wrong in pricing it more than the Verna. But I know that I am a part of minority here
That said, the Trend variant should have priced lower than the Vento highline. On feature-to-feature comparison, it would have given a good advantage to the Fiesta.

Quote:
So are you saying Ford should not even bother to check whether they can earn some market share from others? Ford lost it out because their A** was way too expensive compared to the rest two. Since they have already addressed it, they should try to market their products really competitive. It would not do good for them to believe that "we will anyway have lesser sales, so lets price it more than the competition".
They ‘should have’ – valid point. And that’s why I posted a question to Mustang whether he know what’s the sales forecast for the New Fiesta. They would have a set target for India, and then rest of the plant capacity maybe reserved for export oriented manufacturing (this is just my assumption though).

Quote:
Again you compared two variants from Fiesta & Verna and found out that the variants are almost equally equipped. How many people will bother to do it? This is where pricing plays a good role. I would have loved to see a base variant [below the current base version] around 7-7.5L max which has lesser equipment than having a Titanium+ variant with just 2 or 3 added features.
Good point. They should have had a bare bone variant to play the price game. Ford, being in India for so long, should have known how price sensitive the Indian customer is.

Quote:
If I buy the NFS, I would go for

1. Air dams
2. Door scuff plates
3. Illuminated gear knob.

I am still a bit of that "bling" guy!
I liked the door scuff plates, gear knob, and the metal covers for the pedals. But I felt the sporty air drums, and the colors on the steering wheel make the car look a bit Chinese
Old 15th July 2011, 15:38   #728
MAS
Senior - BHPian

I had decided on the NFS to replace my Fusion. I was disappointed after reading the review and the cheap quality of interiors (especially at the rear - Hinges in the central arm rest Even an aftermarket fitting would have looked neat). Then Ford announces their crazy pricing strategy. I think Ford has designed this strategy to push Fiesta Classic and not the NFS. The classic is more VFM!!!

If the car had a 120 HP, 1.6 L Engine, it would have justified this price, but with bad interiors, okayish engine, i am putting my money somewhere else (Verna/Vento).

EDIT: Looking at the way Ford and Honda are playing their pricing strategies, seems like some Top Management guys from Honda have joined Ford and vice versa.

Last edited by MAS : 15th July 2011 at 15:47.
Old 15th July 2011, 16:45   #729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revention View Post
On-road price in Bangalore

FORD NEW FIESTA PETROL
1.5 P Style 995484.00
1.5 P Trend 1059853.00
1.5 P Titanium 1107801.00
1.5 P Titanium + 1137767.00
FORD NEW FIESTA DIESEL
1.5 D Style 1119789.00
1.5 D Trend 1179724.00
1.5 D Titanium 1262044.00
1.5 D Titanium + 1292854.00
13lakhs for a Ford sedan? Sorry Ford I am walking away for something better and good VFM. I had plans to give my current car to my dad and take up the NFF Diesel Titanium+ and was expecting to be around 11lacs. I now shelve my plans.

As many members put it, Linea and Vento look great packages now. I am not very keen on Hyundai Verna. It never gave me the real 'sedan' feeling. Sorry, just my opinion.
Old 15th July 2011, 16:58   #730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzrockz View Post
Never thought i would feel that a Hyundai is the best option in the segment!
No offence meant mate, but I think you are still in late nineties if what you said above is what you still feel. In our Indian context alone, the Santro was for long the best small car, the i10 currently is the best petrol-engined small car and the all-new Verna is the best all-rounder in its segment, whether you like it or not.

Coming back to the Fiesta, yes, I do agree that it is quite overpriced but not by much. Just look at the feature list of even the base petrol version and compare that with the competitors. Then, the picture will not look as bleak as what it looks like now.
Old 15th July 2011, 17:04   #731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
EDIT: Looking at the way Ford and Honda are playing their pricing strategies, seems like some Top Management guys from Honda have joined Ford and vice versa.
So True!

Whats up Ford? First design a vehicle with one of the ugliest boot in the segment and then price it 12L OTR, shocking to say the least.
Old 15th July 2011, 17:24   #732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You have any information on the ground clearance? It’s not mentioned in the Ford website as well (as of yesterday).

The ground clearance has now been updated on the first page of this review. It is 168 mm.

Last edited by Stratos : 15th July 2011 at 17:25.
Stratos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 17:30   #733
BHPian

Ford believes that they have launched a wonderful product and hence probably decided to price it accordingly. Maybe, Ford is not aiming at garnering big numbers here. They wanted to launch a good well rounded product, which they did and they have put a price tag which they deem is worth it. Now, if people see value in the product, they will put their money on it.

Some reasons that I could think of for the price that others have also echoed.
1. Ford has tried to retain as much features for Indian variant of Fiesta as that of international variant of Fiesta. Result even low end Fiesta is loaded with safety and other utilitarian features.
2. Ford claims Fiesta body is made of high strength Boron steel which is supposedly used in high end cars (Volvo, Audi, etc).
3. I believe the sporty front seats of Fiesta are available right from low end variants here. These seats are supposedly available only in high end variants Internationally.

There could be other reasons too for Fiestas price as others have mentioned such as to avoid overlap between Classic and NFS,to make room for Fiesta hatch, etc

Ultimately, for petrol I might pick Honda City and for Diesel I would pick Fiesta D. I think Fiesta D is a well rounded car and another reason why I would suggest it is because of the experience with Fiesta 1.4D. We have a Fiesta 1.4D at home and its been serving well for the last 2 years or so. Though it lacks the top end grunt, holding the Fiesta steering and driving it has always been a delight.
rajivn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 17:36   #734
BHPian

[quote=arvi86;2431369]No offence meant mate, but I think you are still in late nineties if what you said above is what you still feel. In our Indian context alone, the Santro was for long the best small car, the i10 currently is the best petrol-engined small car and the all-new Verna is the best all-rounder in its segment, whether you like it or not.

No offence to the Hyundai gang... off the cuff remark abt the perception making the rounds, with the "i" range Hyundai has definitively upped the ante. My bad
Old 15th July 2011, 17:53   #735
BANNED

Hi everybody, though I expected the petrol car to start at 7.75 instead of 8.23 and the diesel to start at around 9 lacs but I drove the new diesel fiesta back to back after the classic tdci and let me tell you that there is no competition.

Yes you do spend more but what you get is much much better than the classic. A test drive won't be harmful for anyone. And when you do test drive, test drive it spiritedly and you will know what I'm talking about. (especially the fiesta classic owners will know).

Test drives will begin v.soon. check with the dealers for exact dates.

Tomorrow I'll be driving the petrol and will let u kno its comparison with the classic.

PS the pricing is certainly not vfm for sure

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 15th July 2011 at 17:55.
Mustang.101 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks