Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2011, 00:00   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post
Can anybody please explain what is this 3 year vibration stuff of diesel cars. I have never owned a diesel and am a bit apprehensive if a diesel car would just give up n 3 years.
The 3 year breakage is history with the latest gen Diesels. And I would correct you on this, we should talk rather on mileage front than duration front. This engine [1.3 MJD] is quite nice and would last easily a lakh kilometer or more if serviced at the right intervals. I have read about Swift Ds still running strong even after 2 lakh kilometes. Mine has done 55K kms+ and is touch-wood. So please don't worry about the reliability / life of these engines.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 15th July 2011 at 00:01.
Old 15th July 2011, 00:05   #62
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Review GTO

The Beat is now a very attractive car to own. I'm sure Chevy Management will price it competitively.

I'm sceptical about its long term use. I have a Ford TDCi run now for 1,20 Lakh kms and the engine is still (touch wood) smooth. With just 3 pots in use in the Beat, I'm worried if vibrations would be high. I remember test driving a 2003 accent with 50 odd kms on the odo. The car was sending all sorts of vibrations. I hope Chevy has studied the engine characteristics well.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 00:05   #63
BHPian

Beat diesel has a limited market to start with. It excels as an excellent economical urban diesel hatch, but is not the one car when one can have only one car, its lack of highway ability is a big let down. Now the market we have has less than 5% of customers who are on the look out for a 2nd car of such a requirement. Most of us cannot have more than 1 car and this one will not fit the bill. If it is priced at least 50K less than the Ritz or Figo (which have come out as the cars which ticks most of the boxes for the middle class buyer), it has some chance of volumes, otherwise, IMHO it should be priced at least 75K lesser than Ritz.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 00:40   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
It excels as an excellent economical urban diesel hatch, but is not the one car when one can have only one car, its lack of highway ability is a big let down. Now the market we have has less than 5% of customers who are on the look out for a 2nd car of such a requirement.
Almost spot-on. It might also appeal to the first-car-after-dad's-"dare you put a scratch on my beauty" buyer who just got the nice raise the papers were talking of till last month! This will last him/her at least till the need of a rear-facing car-seat Second car for the family, but a first for the buyer - that's a growing base going by the lack of empty parking spots in housing societies.
Old 15th July 2011, 01:42   #65
BHPian

Brilliant review as always. I have been looking for a cheap diesel hatchback. Considering, it will be used only in the city makes the beat a very good option. I just hope Chevrolet prices it right.
Old 15th July 2011, 09:24   #66
BHPian

Alright, here we go guys, Spark to get this engine too shortly.

All this while we are talking about a <5lakh diesel car, and now GM is planning a <4lakh diesel. Adding to our confusion.

GM to launch more diesel fuel option cars | Goa On Wheels
Old 15th July 2011, 10:13   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash24 View Post
Hi Folks,

Can anyone please throw light on what is the glow plug indicator?

Also i feel this car, though everyone is telling the 3 cylinder engine NVH is less and vibrations are less, in the long run i think its better to stick with the 4 Cylinder motor. Correct me if i'm wrong on this one.

After 3 years if this 3 cylinder motor starts vibrating too much and noise levels are same as the 4 cylinder motor from the outside, it still makes sense to buy the 4 cyclinder 1.3 DDiS for peace of mind if we wish to own the car for a minimum of 5 years.
Glowplugs are used in diesel engines to warm up the cylinders prior starting. This enables starting of cold diesel engine on first kick.. Normally as you turn the ignition key, the glow plugs draw current from battery and warm up the cylinders for about a minute and then switches off. You should ideally crank the engine at this time. Glow plug indicator on dash acts as a prompt for the driver to crank the engine by showing when the plugs have come on and have switched off.

An excellent thread on three cyl vs four cyl is here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...er-engine.html
Old 15th July 2011, 10:25   #68
AWD
BHPian

Will have to watch the cars performance for atleast 10-15k kms to see the degree of wear & tear & niggles if any.

The smallest diesel in the Country & that too a 3 pot motor has some proving to do. Initial consumers will be the ones who find other diesel cars out of range. Those who can afford some more will try to play it safe & buy a 4 cyl. motor instead. Later on if the car turns out to be reliable, consumers from slightly upper segments will see a choice in this.
Old 15th July 2011, 10:44   #69
Senior - BHPian

Those who have contacts can check out the 1lac kms on odo run base Beat VCDi @ Deedi motors @ Trivandrum.
Old 15th July 2011, 11:04   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash24 View Post
Alright, here we go guys, Spark to get this engine too shortly.

All this while we are talking about a <5lakh diesel car, and now GM is planning a <4lakh diesel. Adding to our confusion.

GM to launch more diesel fuel option cars | Goa On Wheels
That is the best news I've heard in a long time If a spark diesel is released with OTR price less around 4 Lakhs I'd buy it in a heartbeat !!

I need a small 2nd car (in addition to my honda city) as city runabout and and for occasional use by wifey.
Old 15th July 2011, 11:04   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Those who have contacts can check out the 1lac kms on odo run base Beat VCDi @ Deedi motors @ Trivandrum.
Perfect, can some in trivandrum with contacts in GM help us please.

We really need to check the Beat Diesel which has clocked more than 50000km on the ODO to make a decision if we must stick to the 3 cylinder or take a safer route of picking up the 4 cylinder motor for the long run.

Cheers
Old 15th July 2011, 12:26   #72
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
Darn... it way to short for a diesel. Its petrol car category.
True. The short gearing helps the driveability in the city, but the li'l engine revvs too high on the highway.

Quote:
I am sure Beat can too.
Don't know about that. However, Chevrolet will surely use the 1.3L 4 cylinder for a 5 - 6 lakh hatchback in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by informmaha View Post
Many commuter's felt that EPS was better option than the HPS as all its competitors have EPS, so this mught have been the reason for this change.
EPS is far lighter to use, and the masses definitely like it more. The reason Chevrolet used an EPS is fuel efficiency (no load on the engine, unlike a hydraulic pump) and that EPS units are cheaper to manufacture than HPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
in fact the only grouse I have is that the exteriors are over-designed.
True. I'm not a fan of the exterior design at all. I prefer a clean look instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
congested rear seat space.
I've said it before and will say it again : The Beat's rear seat is NOT cramped. It is on par with most of its direct competitors in terms of legroom. In fact, one of the reasons for the small boot is that rear seat space was prioritised.

However, it "feels" cramped because of the small window and dark interior shade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
its lack of highway ability is a big let down. Now the market we have has less than 5% of customers who are on the look out for a 2nd car of such a requirement.
Don't overlook the fact that the best selling car in India - the Alto - also has only 3 cylinders, and lesser power / torque. I don't think the lack of sprinting ability will make a difference to the masses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajcs View Post
Glowplugs are used in diesel engines to warm up the cylinders prior starting. This enables starting of cold diesel engine on first kick.. Normally as you turn the ignition key, the glow plugs draw current from battery and warm up the cylinders for about a minute and then switches off. You should ideally crank the engine at this time. Glow plug indicator on dash acts as a prompt for the driver to crank the engine by showing when the plugs have come on and have switched off.

An excellent thread on three cyl vs four cyl is here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...er-engine.html
Thanks for the reply. Just to add : The reason that diesels need glow plugs is that ignition is not via spark plugs. Combustion is driven by compression.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 12:46   #73
BHPian

Congratulation GTO for such a nice review. Congratulation for writing the Pros and Cons of this vehicle in balc and white. I was waiting for GTO's feedback and to me it looks mostly positive for especially from the Point of View of Aam Junta Class like me . The above discussed 100,000 KM run car is a proof enough that the engine should be Ok. Now i can confidentally reccomend this car to my acquaintances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
...and that EPS units are cheaper to manufacture than HPS.
I would take exception of that. Its not true. Had EPS been any cheaper, you would hardly be seeing any cars with HPS especially in the low price segments and HPS would have been used only on high end vehicles. Its just that maruti has standardized it doesnt mean its cheap. An EPS normally costs way too much higher than HPS.

Engineers on the forum can confirm or deny this.

Last edited by anu21v : 15th July 2011 at 12:56.
Old 15th July 2011, 12:54   #74
Senior - BHPian

The expectations from the lil' Chevy are definitely high. Pricing is what would make it or break it.

But I cannot seem to put my finger on a number. What do you guys feel should be a good price for the Beat to do well?
Old 15th July 2011, 13:09   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
Sorry, I never had a Diesel car. What is a Glow Plug and why is it needed in a Diesel car?
Glow plugs are required to prehead the cylinder block in case of low ambient temperatures in small displacement engines. When compression takes place in such an engine, if the cylinder walls are cold, it will quickly dissipate the heat. and air fuel mixture will not ignite. Therefore cylinder walls are preheated.
In case of large displacement engines(3liter/4liter etc.,) due to huge volume of air, the heat from center of cylinder takes more time to dissipate, and they can still be started in temperatures like 3-4 degrees and in some cases even 0 degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
True. The short gearing helps the driveability in the city, but the li'l engine revvs too high on the highway.
that is also bad for the life of the engine. Remember, engine life is dependent on number of revolutions. A high revving engine will have less life than a slow revving engine
Quote:
Don't know about that. However, Chevrolet will surely use the 1.3L 4 cylinder for a 5 - 6 lakh hatchback in the future.
Its quite surprising that they exist in the 10L+ space and entry level space. they have the engines and expertise to make a 6L entry level sedan in India. Due to no licensing issues, they can undercut dzire
Quote:
EPS is far lighter to use, and the masses definitely like it more. The reason Chevrolet used an EPS is fuel efficiency (no load on the engine, unlike a hydraulic pump) and that EPS units are cheaper to manufacture than HPS.
EPs is actually the future now in small cars.

Quote:
I've said it before and will say it again : The Beat's rear seat is NOT cramped. It is on par with most of its direct competitors in terms of legroom. In fact, one of the reasons for the small boot is that rear seat space was prioritised.
I agree. Its quite spacious, atleast as much as ritz/swift. However, the front seat positioning for tall drivers is bad. your knee constantly touches the center AC vents. Only if you are the kind of driver who likes to drive with seat fully pushed back, you will be able to be comfortable. So if you have long legs, as compared to arm length, its very uncomfortable

Quote:
Don't overlook the fact that the best selling car in India - the Alto - also has only 3 cylinders, and lesser power / torque. I don't think the lack of sprinting ability will make a difference to the masses.
Exactly, handling gets debated the most, but only 5% of entry level buyers even bother about it

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Just to add : The reason that diesels need glow plugs is that ignition is not via spark plugs. Combustion is driven by compression.
Actually glow plugs are only for pre heating the cylinder. Once engine starts, they are not used. Infact, if glow plugs are kept on after ignition, they get damaged.
Moreover, in large engines, they are mostly not needed, and in very small displacement engines, even at temperatures of 1-2 degree C you will have starting trouble if there are no glow plugs. Have witnessed Verna CRDIs getting into trouble at narkanda after overnight parking(0-2 degree C temp)
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks