Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2011, 22:42   #196
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash24 View Post
Got a Call from the sales guy today, says 5.3OTR of BEAT LS in bangalore and 4.9OTR for BEAT PS in bangalore.

I told you him your kidding me, why will this car sell if it is just 25000 cheaper than the Figo LXI? I told him GM needs to price this car at 5 or max 5.1for the LS variant and 5.4 for the LT variant.

Looking at the post above you guys are hinting at 4.5OTR in delhi for BEAT LS which sounds perfect, bangalore should be 5lakh OTR for Beat LS.
I finally test drove this car, And BTW I am replacing my current car with this one coming January. Even if GM prices it above FIGO, this diesel car is worth buying for me. The two biggest reasons for me would be Mileage of Beat and Aging styling of FIGO. Will post my complete review shortly.
anu21v is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2011, 22:47   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
I finally test drove this car, And BTW I am replacing my current car with this one coming January. Even if GM prices it above FIGO, this diesel car is worth buying for me. The two biggest reasons for me would be Mileage of Beat and Aging styling of FIGO. Will post my complete review shortly.
Great Congrats

It is a good car, i wish my family would have supported me, but they have their own points which is true, they are just not comfortable at the back.

I'm still speaking to my friend who manufactures art leather seat covers, trying to find a way to show him the car to improve the rear seat cushions. End of the day 1 lakh difference between this and the ritz is a lot of money.

So did you get any clue about the pricing of this car? Do post your review.

Folks i have one query,
This might be a sales trick but i just wish to clarify it.
Maruti service station manager told me the below:
If you drive your diesel car above 2000RPM in the city everytime you shift gears and incase your using the Turbo kick always, the car will consume more fuel. Everytime the turbo opens their is fuel that the ECU sends to the engine.

So his personal thought is that if BEAT is getting a turbo kick between 1600-1750 RPM, even though the turbo charger is small, the level of fuel consumed by the engine when compared to DDIS engine will be less, but overall the beat will more consume fuel as we reach turbo levels easily and it will end up giving close to 18-20 within city depending on the driving style will not reach 24 for sure.

So when the turbo is activated, does the car consume fuel??
On the other hands chevy service head says i've extracted 31km/litre on the beat for a 200km long drive.

Last edited by Nash24 : 23rd July 2011 at 23:01.
Old 23rd July 2011, 23:43   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Nice! What car do you currently drive? What kind of running do you do?

I liked the refinement and build quality of the Beat, its nicely built. Sometimes its easy to overlook quality of materials and build quality when comparing different cars. I have booked my Beat LT (O) in white and should get my car in the first lot

Last edited by fangface : 23rd July 2011 at 23:49.
Old 24th July 2011, 21:03   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Turbo kick always, the car will consume more fuel. Everytime the turbo opens their is fuel that the ECU sends to the engine.

So his personal thought is that if BEAT is getting a turbo kick between 1600-1750 RPM, even though the turbo charger is small, the level of fuel consumed by the engine when compared to DDIS engine will be less, but overall the beat will more consume fuel as we reach turbo levels easily and it will end up giving close to 18-20 within city depending on the driving style will not reach 24 for sure.

My understanding is as follows.
See the Turbo works by sending compressed air to the cylinders.
So since the percentage of oxygen is more in the compressed air, the fuel burns better and you get more power. The fuel is just spent better. Not more.

So rest easy. All that talk you are getting is bull crap.
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2011, 21:13   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
So since the percentage of oxygen is more in the compressed air, the fuel burns better and you get more power. The fuel is just spent better. Not more.

Great, when i meet him next time, i'll teach him how a turbo works.

Sometimes i feel why do such people land up in such jobs when they are not so technically sound? For example Couple of dealers, MSIL salesmen didnt even know BEAT DIESEL was coming until 3rd week of July.

Thanks for the information.
Old 24th July 2011, 23:15   #201
BHPian

Quote:
This might be a sales trick but i just wish to clarify it.
Maruti service station manager told me the below:
If you drive your diesel car above 2000RPM in the city everytime you shift gears and incase your using the Turbo kick always, the car will consume more fuel. Everytime the turbo opens their is fuel that the ECU sends to the engine.

Couldn't stop myself from smiling. I am no Engine/Powertrain Engineer, but I think i know the basic functionality of turbo, which is to mix proper oxygen and vaporize the petrol before it enters the combustion chamber. Just because the Petrol is fully vaporized before it enters the engine (i.e. Charged) the consumption is much better and the exhaust has little residual un-burnt fuel. This is the reason when some engine has a turbocharger, it not only gives a better power but also gives better fuel efficiency. Surely this MSIL service dude has a good idea about turbocharger since it is such a common knowledge. IMO He is just trying to mislead you

Last edited by anu21v : 24th July 2011 at 23:17.
Old 25th July 2011, 00:18   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

- 3 year / 100,000 kms standard warranty.
Is the 3 year warranty going to be applicable for all diesels or just the beat as all other diesels currently have a 2yr/45K warranty?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- Engine oil change interval of 15,000 kms or 1.5 years (whichever is earlier).
So there is no first oil and filter change at the 5K mark, or is the 15K interval applicable after the first change?
Old 25th July 2011, 00:27   #203
BHPian

Quote:
but I think i know the basic functionality of turbo, which is to mix proper oxygen and vaporize the petrol before it enters the combustion chamber.
In Crdi engines turbo only pushes in air through the air inlet. Diesel is injected directly into the combustion chamber. Fine mist of fuel is property of the construction of the injector orifices and pressure and direction of the fuel

Just because the Petrol is fully vaporized before it enters the engine (i.e. Charged) the consumption is much better and the exhaust has little residual un-burnt fuel.
In modern cars with fuel injection vaporization of petrol or diesel is governed by the injector and its various parameters.

This is the reason when some engine has a turbocharger, it not only gives a better power but also gives better fuel efficiency.
Totally agree here

Surely this MSIL service dude has a good idea about turbocharger since it is such a common knowledge. IMO He is just trying to mislead you
Most service guys do not know the basics of the functioning of a turbo not that I am claiming I do too either.
My reply in bold.
Most cars come with Lambda sensors including diesels; and they govern the air fuel ratio. IF the sensors and associated electronics are fast; fuel efficiency will depend greatly on how much we depress the accelerator. Please note however small the turbo it will take some time to spool and if the sensors are not fast fuel will be unnecessarily wasted.

Please read my post, number 45 in the link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2298035

Last edited by drpullockaran : 25th July 2011 at 00:29.
Old 25th July 2011, 07:53   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post

Folks, a turbo forces more air into the cylinders, but at the same time you also get more fuel going in (more air + more fuel), the additional compression with more fuel is what gives you the higher power.
Old 25th July 2011, 10:33   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post
Folks, a turbo forces more air into the cylinders, but at the same time you also get more fuel going in (more air + more fuel), the additional compression with more fuel is what gives you the higher power.
Right, anyone has some link where we can get perfect information.

We have a mixture of opinions here, some say turbo consumes fuel, some say it is just intake of more air in the combustion process.

I hope we get some proof, so that i give a royal treatment to the MSIL guy when i meet him next time.
Old 25th July 2011, 11:07   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast
It doesn't necessarily imply more fuel going in. More fuel going in would automatically imply acceleration, as the rpms would increase.

The fuel-air mixture is optimized for economy most of the time in India, and the proof is the higher economy figures of all turbo-diesels as compared to the NA diesels, with equal or higher power. Eg, the old Fiat NA1.9 vs the new MJD.
Old 25th July 2011, 11:40   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post
Wikipedia to rescue:Turbocharger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The objective of a turbocharger is to improve an engine's volumetric efficiency by increasing the intake density. The compressor draws in ambient air and compresses it before it enters into the intake manifold at increased pressure. This results in a greater mass of air entering the cylinders on each intake stroke. The power needed to spin the centrifugal compressor is derived from the high pressure and temperature of the engine's exhaust gases. The turbine converts the engine exhaust's potential pressure energy and kinetic velocity energy into rotational power, which is in turn used to drive the compressor.
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 12:11   #208
BHPian

Chevrolet India - Live Webcast | Facebook

For those who had been waiting for this launch as me
informmaha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 12:39   #209
BHPian

Prices announced for Beat Diesel

4.29 Lakhs for PS (all ex showroom delhi)

4.59 Lakhs for LS

4.99 Lakhs for LT

5.45 Lakhs for LT (O) gets alloys, airbags and ABS

Last edited by Mr.Beat : 25th July 2011 at 12:50. Reason: Correction
Mr.Beat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 12:40   #210
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Prices announced:

4.29 lakhs (Entry)
4.59 lakhs
4.99 lakhs
5.45 lakhs (With option pack)

Entry & mid-variants will make for great work-horses. Top + option pack are pricier than expected.

Live launch webcast here:

Chevrolet India - Live Webcast | Facebook

Last edited by GTO : 25th July 2011 at 12:41.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks