Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2012, 00:53   #391
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
The SA assures me 85 is more refined than 110 and that is the reason why they don't want to show it initially as it may gather more bookings than 110.
Drove the 100 and 85 back to back. 110 felt more refined and has a better gear shift. Missing seat height in 85 was a damper. Overall, 85 felt lesser premium than the 110. But 85 felt lot better to drive in bumper to bumper traffic. I reset the fuel MID before each test drive. For the same sort of city drive the 85 PS showed 10+% better efficiency. 85 PS will be one heck of a fuel efficient car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
Could not check the top speed or drive in highway IMO only the top speed will be marginally slow compared to 110ps all other aspects 85ps fairs better including mileage my verdict goes to 85 Rxl(0) with full safety option as best buy & winner.
Higher PS is not at all about top speed. Higher power is about how fast you can go from say, 40 to 100 or 30 to 80 etc. That matters a LOT in congested Indian highways/roads. Over taking becomes a stress free affair. Also, you don't feel undone when a slow moving truck slows you down to crawling speed - you know you can get back to your cruising speed fast. The 110 PS also has the 6th gear. Will let you cruise at ~2000 RPM in a relaxed fashion at 100 KPH. Less NVH = Less Tiresome. May be a better fuel efficiency than 85 PS when cruising in highways - can't confirm though. Overall, as someone put it you may want 85 PS in city and 110 PS in highways. Stuck between a rock and a hard place!

Off topic: If someone's drive is 90% in city, well, an automatic i10 would serve the purpose better for most (not all) and save 5.5+ lakhs. The interest itself would take care of the additional petrol cost for most people. Just my view, don't shoot me for it!
idofsuresh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 08:18   #392
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVEN-TWEEL View Post
He or she,definitely male.not cute,not gorgeous but handsome.just two days old but im in love with the duster.i love the looks.looks like a boxer dog.
Perfect description!
Even when I commented on this thread, I had noted it looks like a dog. Was not able to put a finger on the breed of the dog. Now you have mentioned it, Boxer it is!
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 08:48   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
Took delivery of RxZ 110 woodland brown colour PS today evening
Price of the cak in Kolkata went up by another 7K.
Congratulations. Woodland Brown is a unique colour. The only one that comes close in India is the brown of BMWs.

Regarding the pricing, see my earlier post #335 on the matter in this very thread at the following permalink

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2857764
Old 3rd August 2012, 09:36   #394
BHPian

@idofsuresh :
Quote:
Off topic: If someone's drive is 90% in city, well, an automatic i10 would serve the purpose better for most (not all) and save 5.5+ lakhs. The interest itself would take care of the additional petrol cost for most people. Just my view, don't shoot me for it!
If that's the case, then why not go for the A-star auto ? Cheap as heck. OTR is <5L ! And you get ABS+EBD+BA as standard equipment !

Last edited by BUXX : 3rd August 2012 at 09:37.
Old 3rd August 2012, 10:07   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idofsuresh View Post
Drove the 100 and 85 back to back. 110 felt more refined and has a better gear shift. Missing seat height in 85 was a damper. Overall, 85 felt lesser premium than the 110. But 85 felt lot better to drive in bumper to bumper traffic. I reset the fuel MID before each test drive. For the same sort of city drive the 85 PS showed 10+% better efficiency. 85 PS will be one heck of a fuel efficient car.

Higher PS is not at all about top speed. Higher power is about how fast you can go from say, 40 to 100 or 30 to 80 etc. That matters a LOT in congested Indian highways/roads. Over taking becomes a stress free affair. Also, you don't feel undone when a slow moving truck slows you down to crawling speed - you know you can get back to your cruising speed fast. The 110 PS also has the 6th gear. Will let you cruise at ~2000 RPM in a relaxed fashion at 100 KPH. Less NVH = Less Tiresome. May be a better fuel efficiency than 85 PS when cruising in highways - can't confirm though. Overall, as someone put it you may want 85 PS in city and 110 PS in highways. Stuck between a rock and a hard place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
@idofsuresh :

If that's the case, then why not go for the A-star auto ? Cheap as heck. OTR is <5L ! And you get ABS+EBD+BA as standard equipment !

Well, if that's the case why can't we buy a automatic Activa for short errands and call an call taxi for city use using the interest saved from the entire 13 lakhs in this way you need not drive at all

Friends, here we are talking about an diesel SUV which can go anywhere, accommodate 5 people in peace with loads of boot space along with an unmatched suspension and finally a pride in owning an SUV but not an small hatch back.

Suresh > To be exact the difference between two variant is 22ps which i hope will not bring adrenal rush in overtaking or in top speed and we have seen in Sunny, 85ps with 5 gears making 140 easily with no significant rise in NVH.

Last edited by sathyaprakash : 3rd August 2012 at 10:26.
Old 3rd August 2012, 11:13   #396
BHPian

Difference of 22 PS makes a whale of a difference in driving. We are talking about a 20% power output difference here. Duster 110 PS with proper gear selection is supposed to be even quicker than the XUV. Top Speed is not the only advantage of going for 110 PS. It is all about how soon you get there. Doing 120 KMPH on a 110 will make you reach your destination quicker than doing 140 KMPH on a 85 PS on similar traffic on long drives.
Back in the 90's I had a Maruti 1000 and my friend had a MARUTI Esteem. He used to cruise at 80 KMPH and I was redlining the engine at 125 KMPH on the long haul, and always he used to reach our destination ahead of me.
Inside City bumper to bumper traffic, 85 PS wins hands down. Similar comparison will be, In chennai traffic, my WEGO gets to my destination quicker than the PULSAR.
Anyways, I am plucking my hair, one at a time, hearing our forum members being owners by the day and still in Chennai, RTO has not approved the Duster.Now the latest unreliable news is that registration can be made only from wednesday.So here I am poorer by a lakh of rupees from June 20th as advance for the duster and still doing window shopping.
Old 3rd August 2012, 13:44   #397
BHPian

@Neil : ^^ Make it a 30% difference!

@ sathyaprakash: I guess, I should have been more clearer.

What I was trying to say is that one could buy a cheap AT for the city and get the 110 Duster for the Highways.
Chock full of cruising power and the turbo lag wouldn't matter much on the highway.
Old 3rd August 2012, 14:03   #398
BHPian

@ DRIVEN_TWEEL: Congratulations on being the owner of the first Duster on this Forum

I've been glued to this thread ever since its inception to the point that I keep refreshing every 30 minutes to check if there are new updates/pics!

I haven't been yet able to make up my mind on whether or not to part with my Swift DDIS yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
Doing 120 KMPH on a 110 will make you reach your destination quicker than doing 140 KMPH on a 85 PS on similar traffic on long drives.
@Neil: I'm sorry I did not understand the logic behind the statement. I dont mean to go offtrack but if this does not require too much of explanation OR if I'm missing the obvious, please let me know.
Old 3rd August 2012, 14:05   #399
BHPian

Here is a link that shows speeds of the 85 and 110 ps vehicles at 1000 rpm.
http://www.renault.com/SiteCollectio...B_CEE82D38.pdf

IF (a big no doubt) these are applicable to the desi trims as well, at 1000 rpm the engines seem to be displaying about the same behaviour for the first 4 gears. Insulation remaining the same in both, and assuming that engine rpm is directly responsible for cabin noise and 'refinement', I doubt anybody should be able to tell the difference.

In 5th gear the difference is minor. The sixth gear speed improves by about 15% at same rpm. Assuming the turbo kicks in only after 1600 rpm, the power curves should be linear at the 1000 rpm region, which means the engine rpm will also drop in the range of 12-17%. So in 6th gear the 110 ps should be a noticably quieter or more refined than the 85 engine. As rpms increase, with the turbos kicking in, the difference will probably widen.

Quote:
. Doing 120 KMPH on a 110 will make you reach your destination quicker than doing 140 KMPH on a 85 PS on similar traffic on long drives.
Whoa? how can you reach faster while doing 120kmph than while doing 140kmph? this is like saying 1 kg of gold is heavier than 1 kg of water.

speed = distance /time, if distance is the same, speed and time are inversely proportional.

the 85 ps and 110ps is generated at 3750 and 4000 rpm respectively. Unless you are driving like you stole it, you are not going be anywhere near those numbers under normal conditions.

The extra hp will come into play only while making a pass, i think the lack of the 6th gear overdrive is the bigger issue.

Last edited by mobike008 : 3rd August 2012 at 16:06. Reason: back to back posts. Please read rule 5.b
srgntpepper is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 14:59   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idofsuresh View Post

Overall, as someone put it you may want 85 PS in city and 110 PS in highways. Stuck between a rock and a hard place!
Another option. Buy 85 PS version and go for an aftermarket tuning chip [can cost you around 30k].

Since i have seen most of the folks are having this confusion of choosing between 85 and 110 version, i would request our expert bhpians to suggest best remapping options available for duster that will help our fellow forum members.

So in cities you can run with your stock settings[no turbo lag, no frequent gear changes] and when you want to drive on highways you can switch to the remap mode which would give you that additional 20 bhp.

Thanks, Prakash.
Old 3rd August 2012, 15:28   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Difference of 22 PS makes a whale of a difference in driving. We are talking about a 20% power output difference here. Duster 110 PS with proper gear selection is supposed to be even quicker than the XUV. Top Speed is not the only advantage of going for 110 PS. It is all about how soon you get there. Doing 120 KMPH on a 110 will make you reach your destination quicker than doing 140 KMPH on a 85 PS on similar traffic on long drives.
I too agree on this Neil. The manual says not to rev the engine above 2500 rpm for the first 1500kms. With proper shift of gears I still see the traffic disappear behind me all the way to 6th gear. But since I am not doing above 80 now, they do catch me after some time
Regarding the controls of the ovrm, for all those who mentioned the wrong placement of it, I now gladly beg to differ. You can actually drive and adjust without taking any risk. There is no need to lift the hand breaks one can rest the palm on the break and rotate the knob with the fingers.
Heavy monsoon is still delaying the photographs.
Old 3rd August 2012, 15:41   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal
Took delivery of RxZ 110 woodland brown colour PS today evening, too busy getting used to the car mechanics, will post photographs of it tomorrow.
Things that I did not like:
1. Price of the cak in Kolkata went up by another 7K.
2. Turbo lag is a bit more evident in my carr than the testdrive car. Down shift to first gear is necessary at walking speeds.
3. Can feel a jeark underneath somewhere (in the gearbox or somewhere near) when the car starts. DRIVEN-TWEEL, you need to confirm on this.

g.
Congrats Himadimondal on your new duster.
Yes. I did feel a big jerk a couple of times. Was really worried if my vehicle had some sort of manufacturing defect. Today morning i felt it the most, then after driving for few kms i stopped and started the car again. At that time it was much less. I was planning to go to the showroom and check another car there about how it works. Since you have noticed the same thing, then i guess i dont have to panic. I dint notice it in the test car. Is it something related to the engine being cold. Im not an expert but usually when engine mounting is gone these kind of sound is heard. Can someone comment..
DRIVEN-TWEEL is offline   Received Infraction
Old 3rd August 2012, 15:50   #403
BHPian

Ok. MODS, I hope I'm not going off topic here. My intention is to highlight the relative performance difference between Duster 110PS and 85PS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srgntpepper View Post

speed = distance /time, if distance is the same, speed and time are inversely proportional.

t
In an ideal environment, where inertia is maintained and the speed is "CONSTANT", you are right. However, in real life scenario, there is another component called "ACCELERATION" or in layman terms "PICKUP" which usually plays spoilsport.That is actually called Change in Velocity or Speed

@ srgntpepper, case in point the chart that you have attached.The pickup from 0 to 100 for a 110PS is 11.8 Secs, whereas for 85 PS is 13.9 secs.What the chart does not show you, but regular long haulers will vouch for, is the the ability of the vehicle to brake to say 60KMPH on the high way and then reach your regular cruising speed as quickly as possible which might be say 100-120KMPH.
It is in this context that the 85PS and the 110PS must be compared. a 2 second difference in pickup is monumental in our traffic ridden highways where all our truck drivers and First time highway enthusiasts hog the Road. Turbo engaging for the 110 PS is around 1800-2200rpm(not sure exactly) which is usually the sweet spot for highway cruising, and there is not a chance in this world for the 85 PS duster to reach the reach the 110PS duster till 120 KMPH. By that time, if there is a need to brake, as is usually the case in our highways, the 110PS will be long gone. So a speed difference of 20KMPH cannot make up for a higher acceleration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srgntpepper View Post
Here is a link that shows speeds of the 85 and 110 ps vehicles at 1000 rpm.
IF (a big no doubt) these are applicable to the desi trims as well, at 1000 rpm the engines seem to be displaying about the same behaviour for the first 4 gears. Insulation remaining the same in both, and assuming that engine rpm is directly responsible for cabin noise and 'refinement', I doubt anybody should be able to tell the difference.

In 5th gear the difference is minor. The sixth gear speed improves by about 15% at same rpm. Assuming the turbo kicks in only after 1600 rpm, the power curves should be linear at the 1000 rpm region, which means the engine rpm will also drop in the range of 12-17%. So in 6th gear the 110 ps should be a noticably quieter or more refined than the 85 engine. As rpms increase, with the turbos kicking in, the difference will probably widen.
I dont think in a 110 PS or 85 PS you are going to reach 120KMPH on a highway by doing 1000rpm in whichever gear. I might be wrong.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 3rd August 2012 at 16:44. Reason: wring formula
Old 3rd August 2012, 16:16   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakasse View Post
Another option. Buy 85 PS version and go for an aftermarket tuning chip [can cost you around 30k].

Since i have seen most of the folks are having this confusion of choosing between 85 and 110 version, i would request our expert bhpians to suggest best remapping options available for duster that will help our fellow forum members.

So in cities you can run with your stock settings[no turbo lag, no frequent gear changes] and when you want to drive on highways you can switch to the remap mode which would give you that additional 20 bhp.

Thanks, Prakash.
I think I read somewhere that the gearbox in the 85 BHP version cannot handle the extra power. Can someone verify this?
Old 3rd August 2012, 16:31   #405
BHPian

boy, you are creating new physics in each post. If you can prove this, you could win the nobel for physics.

Quote:
OT- Accelaration due to gravity for 1 Kg of Gold is higher than acceleration of gravity for 1 Kg of water.

You do realize that acceleration due to gravity is the same for *EVERYTHING*? Ie, it is independent of both the substance, and mass of the substance? ie 1kg of gold or 1000000tons of concrete will, if solely under the influence of gravity, accelerate at the same rate?

Gravitational acceleration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PS : apologies for stretching this off-topic, but this was just egregiously wrong.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 3rd August 2012 at 16:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks