Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2012, 07:12   #376
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

That is the double-crank protection. Meant to not allow cranking when engine is running. But due to the design, even when the engine stalls & is not running, you cannot turn the key until you bring the key to the Off position and re-start it.

Also seen in Ford's, amongst other cars.
condor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 10:24   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Neil - is that an optical illusion? Do the 2 red Dusters next to each other sport different shades of red?
Nope. This is what a Nokia C5 can do. Shade is the same with different levels of dirt adding different hues to the same color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Your dealer is right. Demo cars are given temporary red plates and they are exempt from RTO approval. The approval takes about 20 days from the date of launch in Chennai. Faced a similar nail biting wait for my Ertiga, again with Khivraj!
maybe so. But if calicut RTO can give clearance before Chennai RTO, then something is not right. After all the plant in itself is at Chennai. Maybe the dealer is not able to get things done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
Nice looking steel wheels but as you see its missing the center cap which i found in h.s.r posting few post back now are these guys going to say that it will be available in only some variant.

I think i should cancel the booking and wait for another 6 months for the dust to settle before catching a good duster.
With regards to the center cap, or rather hub cap, it is available for all variants with steel wheels. The hub cap was inside the boot. These are non PDI vehicles. According to Khivraj, PDI will begin only after RTO approval and registration.

Regarding cancellation, It is not my place to say this but dont do anything in haste, whether cancellation or booking.Choice of good crossovers at less than 12 Lakhs is not available now. Launch dates for Ecosport or Maruti ALPHA or Chevrolet TRAX is not yet available and pricing is usually based on herd mentality(i.e comparative to the competition). Also remember, very few Logan owners are willing to give up their vehicles. So Renault must be doing something right even though they are doing many other things wrong.
On the production level, there is only one production train in oragadam plant in chennai running on a single shift. All nissan and renault variants-micra, pulse, Fluence, Sunny and Duster- all on the same production train. Further, UK models to be exported will also have to be manufactured in the same train.So, you do the math and think if it is worth cancelling now, after waiting for so long.
Had a talk with the Khivraj SERVICE Manager, and he seems reasonably well informed.He says that foot pedal will be provided as accessories in the near future along with side claddings. At least someone knows what's happening. So to sum up, I am going to be a little patient and see how things shape up.
Neil Roy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 12:38   #378
BHPian

Neil Roy > You are right I am not cancelling after hearing the waiting period is 5-6 months for those who book now and a price revision very shortly. Moreover as you said we don't have any other worthy SUV in this price bracket.

The SA assures me 85 is more refined than 110 and that is the reason why they don't want to show it initially as it may gather more bookings than 110.

But as far as me i felt good driving 110 with little bit of turbo lag which can be tolerated but need to check how 85 will act without 6th gear in highway. I did a test drive again yesterday with my whole family to know their perception their impression was

Pros

1. Its easy to get in & out
2. No engine noise inside
3. Clear view of the road ahead for the back seater
4. More roomier than my ANHC
5. Suspension is great
6. Rear seat is wider than ANHC can accommodate 4 ladies(without rear AC)
7. Rear parcel shelf is wide enough & very convenient

Cons

1. No thigh support in the rear just as ordinary bench & felt sitting upright without sufficient recline
2. Rear AC is very inconvenient to the middle passenger even for a short ride
3. Audio is at worst
4. Interior is very dull doesn't bring the plush feel
5. A loud thud noise felt inside every time you close the doors
6. Doors need little bit extra effort to close (wife asked me whether it needs to be greased)

Finally doesn't feel the pride as if sitting in a 13 lakhs car but in a good workhorse. Even the exterior did not bring any cheer my wife saw one Endy and was so impressed by its rear look while returning. But well i didn't tell its price not to shock them.

Last edited by sathyaprakash : 2nd August 2012 at 13:02.
Old 2nd August 2012, 12:40   #379

Had taken a 110 PS test drive in first week itself. Just called the Bangalore Whitefield Duster dealer.Since it is a corporate booking for me, he asked me to pay the booking amount 50k now and it will be refunded when car gets delivered by corporate lease.

+5 seater, Comfort and Ride, Ground clearance, easy to drive and park in city, easy ingress, safety : good all in one highway+city car with some SUV advantages at this price!
-no climate control, uncertain road side service/support, cheapo looking rear a/c, interiors, low quality music system, lack of arm rest, poor ergonomics

When I did a 90PS ertiga Test Drive, i felt happy in the city drive, but felt that I will get tired very easily on long highway drives! With my current Toyota Altis, I never felt tired in highways - cherish this as a critical requirement! So, really had a doubt on taking 85bhp, though I will be using 80% of the time in city traffic!

Adding to the confusion above, I saw the post from Manspeedo
>>If you are an enthusiast you won't like 85 PS and if you drive to office in a congested metro city , you won't like 110....Now to the drive, 85PS is a breeze compared to 110 in traffic and I really did not have to do many gear shifts in the traffic. I did not feel the power surge though and I feel for enthusiasts this might be a little disappointment .
Personally I felt so much turbo lag with my 110 PS Test drive - it went just flat with first gear acceleration. And I didnot feel much problem earlier with city traffic too in my test drive! Tending towards 110 RXZ !
Have not driven 85 PS, but need to get a view of this from long drives of owners - just wondering whether they will give TD for long drives now?!

Pls let me know your view, whether to buy 85 PS of 110 PS?

Preferred Colour: White or chocolate brown.
My Requirement:
80% city drive and 20% highway long drives!
Two very critical requirements:
  • Critical: Shouldnot get tired in highway long drives with full load(5 members and luggage) to Kerala
  • Critical: Should be very easy to drive around in bumper to bumper daily traffic to Hebbal Manyata Techpark office!
  • What do you recommend for this, after your test drive? 85PS or 110PS?
  • How do you compare top variant options of 85 PS RXZ (Option pack) and 110 PS RXZ?
Please let me know

Last edited by GTO : 3rd August 2012 at 14:15. Reason: No need to type in all BOLD
Old 2nd August 2012, 15:33   #380
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
Pls let me know your view, whether to buy 85 PS of 110 PS?
Preferred Colour: White or chocolate brown.
My Requirement:
80% city drive and 20% highway long drives!
This sums it all. 80% city drive, is where you put most of your time.
And if on highways you cruise at 80-110, I think 85 would very apt even with full load. (Unless of course you go much higher than that band).

I would suggest the 85 RXL option

Last edited by ampere : 2nd August 2012 at 15:34.
Old 2nd August 2012, 15:42   #381
BANNED

In hyderabad they say 4 month waiting .... is every where same?

RXe 85 ps is good enough ?
Old 2nd August 2012, 16:21   #382
BHPian

Hi GTO, any clue when Team-BHP will be invited to test drive the 85ps version?
If possible, please try to give your comments on the accessories being offered too.
Old 2nd August 2012, 17:25   #383
BHPian

He or she,definitely male.not cute,not gorgeous but handsome.just two days old but im in love with the duster.i love the looks.looks like a boxer dog.

i agree to the fact that the quality at certain areas are poor.two days and im used to all those(dash quality,poor doorhandles,door clatter etc).what i feel is these things count as a factor initially.what really matters is performance,mileage,durability,maintainance and overall satisfaction,counting on renaults reputation.

Driving the vehicle gives me the feeling of driving a premium vehicle.steering,gear,brakes,clutch etc has solid as well as a smooth feel to it.smooth like Toyota and solid like Skoda. Volume control stick feels very comfortable when you start using it. Yet to use more functions on it.the placement of the mirror control seems good. We usually operate it while the vehicle is standing still. Place your left hand on the hand brake, take your thumb and middle finger from both the sides around the handbrake and then start operating looking at whichever side you want. ICE head unit is neatly designed and user friendly,but speakers are just average. Seats are quite comfortable at the front but lumbar support and height adjust are not available in my variant.driving position is fine with perfect angle to steering,gear and right side armrest.there is a good view of the bonnet.though I'm above 6-feet in height,getting in and out is comfortable.if i sit at the front a person of my height would be a squeeze at the rear seat.people below six feet at the front and the rear together will be comfortable. Though thigh support is less, 3 of average size can be seated at the rear seat.recline angle is fine. Parcel tray looks nice and can accommodate light weight things but rear view might become a problem.

Driving the duster is easy and effortless when you have breathing space.since mine is a 110,it doesn't go really well at low speeds and down-shifts at low rpm.when we get into low speeds we have to get to understand whether to shift to first gear or remain in second gear. My old octavia had this issue but easy to get over it. Then there is the turbo lag in second gear if you start accelerating at low rpms. If you start changing gears in high rpm then you can get rid of the turbo lag. Clutch was a bit hard and there is no dead pedal and hardly little space beside the clutch, if you are wearing a big shoes.

Since i dont live in a metro, we dont have bumper to bumper traffic and i am enjoying 110 rather than 85 which i tested too.110 is entertaining.the best part is the third and fourth gear. Vehicle feels a bit sluggish at 1000 rpm but from 1500 rpm on,car starts gradually pulling in a good manner.after crossing 2200 rpm, its a rush. Will take him to Waynad next week and find out how well he handles the curves in the ghats. Braking is excellent. Thanks to ABS, EBD n brake assist. Will do a mileage test soon. I'm planning a long trip this week.

Suspension is another best thing of the vehicle.its very comfortable and thats the reason i didn't upsize the tyres to 17", worrying that i would lose the best ingredient of my duster.

Overall im happy with my boy and im extra happy when i feel as well hear people say that its worth for the price and that it looks more than the price. Its a package. A PACKAGE THAT HAS HIT THE SWEET SPOT FOR MANY CRAVING CAR AND SUV ENTHUSIASTS!!

Note from Mod : Post edited majorly. Please use proper capitalization + punctuation. ALWAYS include a space after punctuation marks. Do see THIS THREAD before continuing. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd August 2012 at 16:02. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the end of your post.
DRIVEN-TWEEL is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 18:25   #384

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVEN-TWEEL View Post
overall im happy with my boy and im extra happy when i feel as well hear people say that its worth for the price and that it looks more than the price.its a package.A PACKAGE THAT HAS HIT THE SWEET SPOT FOR MANY CRAVING CAR AND SUV ENTHUSIASTS!!!!
Congratulations !!!! Driven -Tweel !!

Its great to hear your views, i have booked a 110 ps as well and happy that my views have been re-inforced by your opinion.

i was in quandary whether to go for 85ps or 110 ps , i live in Hyderabad where it does get bumper to bumper traffic loads of times but have driven the 110 ps and if you are willing to shift gears to be in the right rpm's , that will get rid of the turbo lag.I have always believed that there is no substitute for power.

all in all your observations have made me very happy!! thanks!!
Sharkpin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 18:31   #385
BHPian

Quote:
i agree to the fact that the quality at certain areas are poor.two days and im used to all those(dash quality,poor doorhandles,door clatter etc).what i feel is these things count as a factor initially.what really matters is performance,mileage,durability,maintainance and overall satisfaction
overall im happy with my boy and im extra happy when i feel as well hear people say that its worth for the price and that it looks more than the price.its a package.A PACKAGE THAT HAS HIT THE SWEET SPOT FOR MANY CRAVING CAR AND SUV ENTHUSIASTS!!!!
Absolutely well said No Doubts about it.
Congrats on being the 1st Duster owner on Team-BHP.
floyd.bell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 18:51   #386
BHPian

Quote:
will take him to waynad next week and find out how well he handles the curves in the ghats.braking is excellent.thanks to abs,ebd n brake assist.will do a mileage test soon.im planning a long trip ths week.
I can't wait to read your feedback after the trip. I am a frequent user of the Bangalore-Waynad-Calicut route, and you feedback will be directly relevant for me.
I am glad to see that the ergonomics has not been hit so badly as was seen earlier.
I did not have a lot of confidence in the MRF shoes, looks like they are more than adequate.
Did you get to fit any accessories? Did they tell you when these will be available?
sumeshmani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 19:49   #387
BANNED

This is a Gaadi that actually meets 90% of the requirements ( ticking most of the boxes as they say in some circles). Looks and interiors are a debate but overall , the 85 PS is a good deal.
I think Renault could have done better with the pricing and variant features. ABS and airbags cant be excluded from variants when the price is 10 L and above. makes sense if you are selling an i10 or Swift.
But I guess the Renault folks have outguessed the Indian buyer because they have a success on their hands.
One thing I cant understand about some companies is the half hearted approach to the Indian market. Look at Mitsubishi and Fiat. They have done lasting damage to their name by selling their good products in the worst manner possible . Thankfully Renault has marginally better sense, though they started that way with the Logan, Koleos etc
Old 2nd August 2012, 21:20   #388
BHPian

Quote:
He or she,definitely male.not cute,not gorgeous but handsome.just two days old but im in love with the duster.i love the looks.looks like a boxer dog.
Your model doesn't come with airbags right?

Also, Post some pictures, angles or types that we must have not seen anywhere else

Last edited by aah78 : 3rd August 2012 at 01:39.
Old 2nd August 2012, 23:20   #389
BHPian

Took delivery of RxZ 110 woodland brown colour PS today evening, too busy getting used to the car mechanics, will post photographs of it tomorrow.
Things that I did not like:
1. Price of the cak in Kolkata went up by another 7K.
2. Turbo lag is a bit more evident in my carr than the testdrive car. Down shift to first gear is necessary at walking speeds.
3. Can feel a jeark underneath somewhere (in the gearbox or somewhere near) when the car starts. DRIVEN-TWEEL, you need to confirm on this.

Besides this, DRIVEN-TWEEL has sumed up almost everything.
Old 3rd August 2012, 00:01   #390
BHPian

Zen Kobane > Why is that you quote the whole post of Driven-Tweel just to know whether his model is equipped with Airbags? Its a waste of space. Of course his model is 110 Rxl comes without airbags but with ABS, EBD & Brake assist.

Just drove 85ps in Chennai quite good there is not much difference between the two in regard to acceleration, pickup & braking. Need not downshift gears every time you slow down in city traffic. I was able to move from stand still even in second gear, the reverse gear position is as in swift good to slot even the clutch is quite easy.

Only Rxz110 comes with scuff plates and it can't be added as option either in other models as there is no holes for screws below may be we can add one as IMO it adds the macho look of the vehicle.

Could not check the top speed or drive in highway IMO only the top speed will be marginally slow compared to 110ps all other aspects 85ps fairs better including mileage my verdict goes to 85 Rxl(0) with full safety option as best buy & winner.

GTO we are waiting for your final verdict please bring the comparison soon.

Last edited by sathyaprakash : 3rd August 2012 at 00:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks