Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2013, 23:42   #1876
AWD
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcrawler View Post
I don't think you should be giving up on the Duster just yet AWD.
If I were you, I'd still go for the Duster. It drives like no other car
Happy New Year bro......and Happy Driving
I did that in the morning today! Thing is I own a Toyota product & not happy with both the product & Toyotas service. In such a scenario, Renault with Duster does not stand a chance. I booked the vehicle at a time when I did not know how good or bad Renault will turn out in India. In the following months, I did not see or hear much good stuff about both. So I took the step...

Before cancelling I questioned the dealership on the delivery status, they said somewhere in March. This was the final thaw, Im not prepared to wait so long for a vehicle that's giving trouble to consumers.

I will wait for Eco-Sport, in the meantime if Renault improves drastically, Im open to the Duster as-well.

Thanks & a very happy year to you too...
Old 10th January 2013, 21:37   #1877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
I did that in the morning today! ............Im not prepared to wait so long for a vehicle that's giving trouble to consumers.

I will wait for Eco-Sport, in the meantime if Renault improves drastically, Im open to the Duster as-well.

Thanks & a very happy year to you too...
That is sad. I got my car back late last night. I haven't tested the leak but my driver who went to pick it up said the problem did not show up when he threw water over it.

The service manager has been calling too. I'm sure Renault will improve. It's make or break for them. Toyota is another story. I guess they have an advantage as a brand.

Anyway. All the best.......and have a great year ahead
Old 10th January 2013, 23:27   #1878
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
That is sad. I got my car back late last night.
No Im happy actually, the initial enthusiasm I had for Duster is gone. Blame it on niggling problems cropping up, spares availability & high prices. The waiting plays its part too. I had booked the base 85PS model then changed to next model. Both these do not have ABS & that's another big reason to opt out.

In case I do not like Eco-Sport for some reason which is highly unlikely though, I shall always have the opportunity to then opt for 110PS Duster becasue that's almost available on the spot & I get ABS as-well.
Old 11th January 2013, 11:04   #1879
BHPian

I am loosing interest because of the ridiculous pricing. Once the latest price hike (i assume ~25k increase in ORP) is announced, Dusters price in Bangalore would have roughly gone up by 75K within 7 month of launch.
This kind of pricing pushes the Duster out of reach for many. I will never buy a lower variant without safety features. So EcoSport seems to be the possible way out.
I don't expect it to be priced lower that Duster, but i expect it to be more VFM.
Old 11th January 2013, 13:01   #1880
BHPian

Friends,

There has been so much negative feedback on the Duster of late, I thought it only fair to tilt the balance a little!

I took my Duster 85 RxL(O) recently on a long road trip - from Chennai to Palakkad and back. Total distance covered was about 1200 km. Average mileage that was indicated by the display (also borne out by my back-of-the-envelope calculations) was about 17.8. The vehicle has so far done about 4700 km in about 4 months.

Absolutely no issues. The highway manners of this car at speeds over 100 km/hour is as outstanding as it is at lower speeds.

And wind noise? No, there was hardly any wind noise. I could discern tyre/road noise, but wind noise was well within limits, I must say.

There were two drivers and two additional passengers. The drivers registered very little fatigue and my wife and daughter (in the back seat) told me after both the journeys (to and fro) that they did not feel crammed or tired at all. The high cabin stance makes all the difference, I guess...

Hope this helps!
Rada is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 17:27   #1881
BHPian

We can see or receive very many complaints similar to the latest complaints and negative feed backs not only on duster as well as most of the other cars. But, the feed backs of the duster owners, one like above, are very rare and very few with respect to the other cars.
Old 11th January 2013, 17:34   #1882
Distinguished - BHPian

Test Drove the Duster 110 PS yesterday. Liked the car overall, but will NOT buy. The car had done 11,000 kms and there were a handful of rattles. (My current car is a previous gen Swift and am done with rattles. Next car should be zero or next to zero on rattles).NVH is good, LOVED the slick shift gears.

Initially loved the clutch back action & hardness, but had severe pain in calf muscle after close to a 5 KM TD. The steering is placed a little low. If I keep my legs close, my inner thighs would rub the steering. The horn pad is real hard!

Space is good (am 6'2") and I could sit comfortably at the back once I adjusted the driver's seat to my comfort. Was not happy with the t(h)in metal sheet. Tried a Pulse in the showroom & the doors were heavier!!

And was a bit disappointed about the ride quality. It is superb, but I guess all the hype made me expect more. Some of the feedbacks about ride quality is over rated on this forum. The passengers clearly know what's the road underneath like, though there is no rude jolt.

Edit: Went for the TD after Storme Xtreme Drive event. Obvious comparison is with Safari. Believe my heart is on the Safari. At 9.95L, that's better than Duster I believe. This is my personal opinion & let's not start what's better or what's not.

After TDing both, with 10L ex showroom budget, I will pick a Storme LX. PERIOD!!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 11th January 2013 at 17:43.
Old 12th January 2013, 09:08   #1883
BHPian

It was mentioned in an earlier post by someone that the "service manual" was not being given to new customers at the time of delivery because of some fault with the software system.

It would be really helpful to owners as well as potential buyers if we could list out the documents that we received along with the vehicle at the time of delivery. I'll list mine below and please note that I believe that I have not been given that complete set of documents/deliverables. The dealer was not forthcoming on this issue when I enquired. I am only talking about the documents that should come from Renault, not from the dealer (like registration papers etc that the dealer handles). Renault gave me the following only: -

1. Driver's handbook
2. Quick Guide
3. Manual for the music system (entitled Radio Classic)

Specifically I have no document that mentions anything about the servicing or the service intervals.
Old 12th January 2013, 11:48   #1884

Hello everyone, I have been following this thread fom september. I was in lookout for a new car for sometime but just could not makeup my mind on the cars on Indian road. The news of the Duster launch had crossed through the corner of my eye but I didn't give much attention, thinking it to be another one of those out of reach SUVs. Really the looks are deceiving (pun intended) and that is reason why I was caught napping (I will explain it later).
It was in the early september that one fine evening I took my wife and son for TDing the Quanto (because it seemed like the car I had pictured in my mind would suit my needs).I was disappointed to say the least, because I had been following this segment from the launch of Aria, which was supposed to be a crossover but had found none to my taste.
It was then, when I stumbled upon the Team BHP official review of Duster and fell for it. I fianlly made the booking 85 PS RXL on 19th Oct (4 months after launch, where was I all this time http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...rustration.gif ) and waiting for it to be delivered since then. It was really harsh on my pocket to jump from Quanto W6 to Duster 85PS RXL, but I gave myself the reasons to support my dream car.
I expect it be delivered by next month. It is really disturbing to hear about all these niggles coming up in this car but then I am happy to learn the way people are sorting out these teething troubles.

Quote:
That is sad. I got my car back late last night. I haven't tested the leak but my driver who went to pick it up said the problem did not show up when he threw water over it.

The service manager has been calling too. I'm sure Renault will improve. It's make or break for them. Toyota is another story. I guess they have an advantage as a brand.

Anyway. All the best.......and have a great year ahead
Woodcrawler, I hope your scuttle panel leakage has been arrested. Also it feels good to learn that Neil Roy could take care most of the rattles in his second service.

Happy driving
Phukan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2013, 12:55   #1885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Initially loved the clutch back action & hardness, but had severe pain in calf muscle after close to a 5 KM TD. The steering is placed a little low. If I keep my legs close, my inner thighs would rub the steering. The horn pad is real hard!

And was a bit disappointed about the ride quality. It is superb, but I guess all the hype made me expect more. Some of the feedbacks about ride quality is over rated on this forum. The passengers clearly know what's the road underneath like, though there is no rude jolt.
Same experience. When I took delivery of the car faced same thing. But then I got tyre pressure caliberated to 29 PSI and voila, the ride quality turned from good to excellent. I bet your TD had high tyre pressures.

Try some local duster with tyre pressure at 29 PSI.

That said price is getting out of hand.
acroback is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2013, 16:31   #1886
BHPian

Quote:
Renault's response system to customer complaints is a rather frustrating affair. I got them to respond after sending a mail on Renault's international portal. This, after mailing Renault India many times, and posting on their FB & Twitter page

I believe all new cars have teething troubles in India because they take us for granted. Renault launched the Duster with much fanfare but their after sales is not up to it yet. I'm sure they will improve over the next few months.

I'd suggest you wait till March or later to make a decision

Regards,

Rajesh
you are absolutely right. I find some one else, who is placed in a similar situation like you, is also fighting restlessly to set things right. After purchasing xuv5oo, he was made run pillar to post with humpty number of problems in his NEW car. Just read this link. (Moderators, I am not sure whether pasting a link in the post is ok or not) http://www.indiancustomers.in/sub-re...t-my-2084.html
Old 12th January 2013, 17:54   #1887

It would be really helpful to owners as well as potential buyers if we could list out the documents that we received along with the vehicle at the time of delivery. I'll list mine below and please note that I believe that I have not been given that complete set of documents/deliverables. The dealer was not forthcoming on this issue when I enquired. I am only talking about the documents that should come from Renault, not from the dealer (like registration papers etc that the dealer handles). Renault gave me the following only: -

1. Driver's handbook
2. Quick Guide
3. Manual for the music system (entitled Radio Classic)

Specifically I have no document that mentions anything about the servicing or the service intervals.[/quote]

You will need to ask for 2 more documents:

1. Extended Warranty Certificate
2. Service Manual (which you will get at time of first service)

I also had similar query and can be found on earlier posts. It was helpful team Bhp members who guided me correctly.
deltadriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2013, 18:16   #1888
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I doubt if it is 4wd, i guess that is torsion beam rear suspension in the picture, 4wd comes with independent rear suspension with 2 prominent rear suspension arms to accomodate the rear differential.
It felt like a rude arrangement to conceal the bottom parts. The copper coloured thingy along the suspension was not evenly finished at all. Couldn't spot that finish in other dusters.

Anyways, why would they mask a 4*2 version now? Even the sides had masking tapes along the length of the body.
Old 12th January 2013, 18:26   #1889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phukan View Post
Hello everyone, I have been following this thread fom september. I was in lookout for a new car for sometime but just could not makeup my mind on the cars on Indian road. ...........

Woodcrawler, I hope your scuttle panel leakage has been arrested. Also it feels good to learn that Neil Roy could take care most of the rattles in his second service.

Happy driving
There is a whole lot of posts above this that I'd like to reply to but I guess my post would exceed the length of this page.

Yes Phukan, my problem seems to have been solved for the moment. Yesterday I'd given it to get a new set of speakers & horns fitted. There was some construction work going on in the next building and dust had settled on my car. The accessory shop owner graciously washed my car. NO LEAK. I'll do my own washing tomorrow and I think I'll be re-confirming that. There was a loose door beading, for which they had no stock. Today the service manager called from Coimbatore saying that the spare parts had come with my beading. HE wanted to send a mechanic to my place, Palakkad with it. I declined because I wanted that change done in the service center.

There are niggles, like any other new car but I think Renault's fault is their response is a little slow. It is a new company, and I believe they will improve. It needs a bit of persistence from our side and oodles of patience.

It is not car for large people or people with large families. It is for people whose expectations are minimal. When we use the term SUV, we tend to think: big, tough and nasty. The Duster is none of that. At best it is a large hatch, can go off road but not like a Fortuner or even the humble Bolero. The body panels are scarily thin (not half as thick as my Optra or Punto), so thin that it bends in if you push with a few fingers.

No doubt, it is one of the best cars to drive, especially on a highway. Light, peppy and steady. I've tested it on rough roads and it has stood up to it (read my blogs) but if you really want to do serious off roading Duster is not the best choice.

I had read a review somewhere and they said Duster is a car you buy with your heart and not with your head. I guess it holds true in the case of a majority of owners and they have ended up complaining too much about it. I bought it with my head, honest. My expectations were simple; a car that would go where my Punto or Optra wont and big enough to carry four in comfort and ample space for luggage that includes lots of photography gear. I had shortlisted the Thar but it lost out on comfort and safety for luggage (no hard top) to the Duster.

The following is an excerpt from my first blog on the Duster experience. I recommend the Duster to people who fulfill the undermentioned criteria.
  1. Upgrading from a hatchback or small sedan.
  2. Want to do a bit off rough driving where a 4x4 is not a necessity
  3. If you always carry more photography gear than luggage like I do! I carry one duffel for my clothes but two large camera bags for two DSLR bodies and a large collection of lenses, a large & small tripod, a monopod, and additional camera bags for portability in places where I need only one or two lenses.
  4. If you are looking for a practical car and are not fixated on luxury. You'd be better off looking at something that costs twice as much if that is your reason to buy a Duster.
  5. If you are realistic to understand an SUV, compact or otherwise, can seat only 5 in comfort. The rear seats are for little kids. If you want a seven seater, buy a MUV like an Innova or Aria
  6. If you like to drive at a resaonable speed and pick your way through potholes and rough roads
  7. If you are on a budget and fuel economy is one of the criteria that swings your buying decision.
By the way, an oft repeated complaint about the Duster is the lack of leg room in the back in one of the 110PS version (top end) because of the A/C thingy in between the front seats. Have a look at this pic. This is the same A/C thingy but in a BMW 320d owned by my friend. I guess the Duster has more space than a 30 lakh car

I love my Duster. Period. Despite all it's quirks and a major leakage problem (now settled). Take it or leave it but quit complaining.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-bmw320d-legroom.jpg  

woodcrawler is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2013, 18:44   #1890
BHPian

Quote:
There is a whole lot of posts above this that I'd like to reply to but I guess my post would exceed the length of this page.

I love my Duster. Period. Despite all it's quirks and a major leakage problem (now settled). Take it or leave it but quit complaining[/b].
That's it. It clears all questions and confusions in my mind about duster. Very precise and clear conclusions. Now I will wait confidently.
vskesavan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks