Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2012, 12:38   #1756
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
If you want a 2013 manufactured car, you mostly will get that only by mid Jan atleast considering 15 days transit time (on an average). Considering that 85 PS variants are manufactured very less in number & due to the waiting periods, if you leave this chance, someone else may take delivery. You may also not receive another one soon.

Take your call based on these factors. Also if it were me, I will take delivery or register the car in Jan for those extra resale benefit. A lot of people may not agree saying that while selling it, people look for VIN & not registration date. But I say those people belong to 20% & rest 80% will not look at VIN during resale!
Checked with dealer and he said 2013 manufactured car will not be coming before jan end .
Old 19th December 2012, 12:48   #1757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick555 View Post
Nice,i will check this again .
I think then 85 PS RXL(o) looks fine(it will used mostly for city driving) ,Also the dealer is ready to give delivery within 15 days for this model.

The only doubt i have is regarding its performance on highways with 4 adults on board + luggage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
Does 110 with said load just fine. I personally do not drive above 110, so I cannot comment if 85 PS is ideal for 150 kmph speeds.

Yes city driving is a big plus for 85PS model. You can almost drive it like a petrol, almost nil turbolag and good torque is boon in cities.

Just to add, it gives great mileage if driven with care and love without thrashing it like a rally car.

17kmpl is cities and 23+ kmpl on highways is what I get.

/Oh boy, I suddenly look like a Renault Salesman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rada View Post
Hello Maverick!

I took delivery of my 85 PS RxL (O) exactly 3 months ago and have so far done about 3200 km. At least on two occasions I have taken my vehicle on long highway drives and never once did I feel the vehicle was under powered. (3 adults plus two medium size suitcases.)

And as someone else has mentioned in this forum, this variant is also ideal for stop-go traffic in the city and delivers excellent mileage as well!

Normally this is a variant with a 2-3 months waiting period, so if the dealer is willing to give you within 15 days, I would say just go for it!

All the best!
Quote:
Thanks for the update Rada.
Not sure when to take the delivery.Should i ask dealer regarding 2013 manufactured model and take the delivery in January ?.
Hi Maverick555,

I agree with all the people who say the 85 does not feel underpowered at all. It's good to remember that the Duster is approx 700kgs lighter than a Scorpio so our collective attitude toward ideal BHP (shouldn't call it team BHP right? ) should be kept aside.

I got my 85 almost 4 months ago to the day and the FE has touched 20 in the city though it's usually between 17 and 18 kmpl.

If you've been following some of the sad tales of TBHP members who are/were waiting for a long time for their Dusters, I suggest you grab that 15 day offer the dealer is giving you. When buying a car nobody looks at just the date of manufacture without checking the month also. Don't pass up on getting hold of your Duster quickly, only to have to wait 3-4 months in regret And the prices will increase also...

Cheers!
Old 19th December 2012, 13:21   #1758
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks ,Even i was not aware that RXL also comes with option pack.

The reason why i don't want to go for 85PS RXL(O) is the rear AC duct placement.
Quote:
Nice,i will check this again .
I think then 85 PS RXL(o) looks fine(it will used mostly for city driving) ,Also the dealer is ready to give delivery within 15 days for this model.

The only doubt i have is regarding its performance on highways with 4 adults on board + luggage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
Does 110 with said load just fine. I personally do not drive above 110, so I cannot comment if 85 PS is ideal for 150 kmph speeds.

Yes city driving is a big plus for 85PS model. You can almost drive it like a petrol, almost nil turbolag and good torque is boon in cities.

Just to add, it gives great mileage if driven with care and love without thrashing it like a rally car.

17kmpl is cities and 23+ kmpl on highways is what I get.

/Oh boy, I suddenly look like a Renault Salesman.
Quote:
I think my requirements are almost similar so 85 PS makes more sense .

These days Renault salesman are busy in selling 110PS and not 85PS due to long waiting queue.
Maverick555, The none of the 85PS models come with a rear A/c vent so there is no space constraint there. The A/c itself is very good. It chills you in a couple of minutes even in the rear seat so you won't miss that contraption in the 110PS.

I've driven it at 130 kph on a good road and it is absolutely stable. You can check my blog (i'm not allowed to post a link here). Like acroback, I rarely go beyond 110kph, but that road was very tempting (pic1). If your main use is in the city 85PS is fine both in terms of drivability & FE. We did a trip to Anamudi Shola with full load and the car proved itself in the hills and where there are no proper roads (pic 2)without any signs of strain.

.... and yes, the Renault salesmen are pushing the 110PS desperately because they already have big stocks in their yards that they have to liquidate by the year end
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-udumalpet.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-anamudi-shola.jpg  

woodcrawler is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 13:29   #1759
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcrawler View Post
.... and yes, the Renault salesmen are pushing the 110PS desperately because they already have big stocks in their yards that they have to liquidate by the year end
Sorry for OT, but which road is that? Looks amazing !
And Duster matches it perfectly !
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 13:36   #1760
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally after waiting for more than 4 months, i took delivery of Duster 85 RXL O for my cousin.

Buying a Duster from Gurgaon dealer Sprint Cars was a torturous experience. Even after 4 months of waiting, they asked me to wait for few more months for the model we booked(85 RXL). They offered us 110 RXZ which we refused, later they offered 85 RXL Option which we had to accept.

There was no clarity from Dealer on expected delivery date, and i can point out several cars which were delivered even without booking. I could only manage to take delivery after following up with them for so many days, the time spent at the dealership was absolute waste as the staff does not really know what they are upto. 10 people are doing what one person can easily do in lesser time. Checking status of a single car at this dealer can easily take hours if you decide not want to use any contacts.This is the the only Renault dealer in Gurgaon, who also owns the only Renault dealership in Delhi.

Making hay while the sun shines

More on the car later..

Renault Duster : Official Review-img_20121218_110209.jpg

Another 110 RXZ booking by a close friend was cancelled just because of poor dealership experience. They did not bother why he cancelled his booking, they were happy with the 5000 bucks cancellation charge and interest they earned out of the booking amount, they took another 10 days refund the amount.

Last edited by .anshuman : 19th December 2012 at 22:54.
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 15:38   #1761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Sorry for OT, but which road is that? Looks amazing !
And Duster matches it perfectly !
That is the stretch between Pollachi and Udumalapet in Tamilnadu (NH -209). Lovely straight length of road
woodcrawler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 22:45   #1762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post
Hi Maverick555,

I agree with all the people who say the 85 does not feel underpowered at all. It's good to remember that the Duster is approx 700kgs lighter than a Scorpio so our collective attitude toward ideal BHP (shouldn't call it team BHP right? ) should be kept aside.

I got my 85 almost 4 months ago to the day and the FE has touched 20 in the city though it's usually between 17 and 18 kmpl.

If you've been following some of the sad tales of TBHP members who are/were waiting for a long time for their Dusters, I suggest you grab that 15 day offer the dealer is giving you. When buying a car nobody looks at just the date of manufacture without checking the month also. Don't pass up on getting hold of your Duster quickly, only to have to wait 3-4 months in regret And the prices will increase also...

Cheers!
Thanks Clouseau for the update.Dealer will get back tomorrow after checking which color option is available in 85ps RXL(o).

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcrawler View Post
Maverick555, The none of the 85PS models come with a rear A/c vent so there is no space constraint there. The A/c itself is very good. It chills you in a couple of minutes even in the rear seat so you won't miss that contraption in the 110PS.

I've driven it at 130 kph on a good road and it is absolutely stable. You can check my blog (i'm not allowed to post a link here). Like acroback, I rarely go beyond 110kph, but that road was very tempting (pic1). If your main use is in the city 85PS is fine both in terms of drivability & FE. We did a trip to Anamudi Shola with full load and the car proved itself in the hills and where there are no proper roads (pic 2)without any signs of strain.

Great pictures with your duster .
For the benefit of all,i inquired with dealer regarding 110PS RXL(O) availability and he said it was offered only for a limited period(each dealer got only few cars) and this model is currently out of production.

He said it was eating up all the sales for 110PS RXZ and so now Renault is not offering this variant.
Old 19th December 2012, 23:03   #1763
BHPian

If this vehicle had a 3rd row of seats, I swear I wouldn't have bought the ertiga and Is it true that renault is selling some after market seats for the duster, if yes,how good is it?
Old 19th December 2012, 23:35   #1764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recallers View Post
If this vehicle had a 3rd row of seats, I swear I wouldn't have bought the ertiga and Is it true that renault is selling some after market seats for the duster, if yes,how good is it?
Renault is selling jump seat as an accessory, But that seat in good for nothing , Even kids won't like seating there for a while.

I guess, there's a picture of it in Official review thread.

Cheers!
Old 20th December 2012, 09:18   #1765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recallers View Post
Hi Recallers, Duster has never been touted as a 7 seater. It is a large hatch / compact SUV. It is not meant to seat 7 nor is there a provision for that. The rear child seat cost Rs. 6500 in Cochin and even a child would feel uncomfortable on it. If you want a 7 seater, you'd be better off looking at the Aria, Innova or Evalia
Old 20th December 2012, 09:32   #1766
Senior - BHPian

Maybe a bit OT, but motivated by the spate of pictures we see of the Duster on Off-Road trails.

I'm a bit concerned that one of these days a Duster is going to get badly stuck in some out of the way place, with a full load of women and children, and that could lead to a disaster.

Just having a good ground clearance and a good power to weight ratio is NOT Good Enough for Off-Roading. A lot of my fellow BHP-ians would perhaps have read the various threads on Off-Roading and Trail driving to fully appreciate the limitations of the Duster; but we also get a lot of casual guests and visitors who may not fully understand these things.

I hope people exercise restraint and caution in Off-Road trails and not over-estimate the capabilities of the Duster. Not saying that the Duster is incapable, but it is certainly no Off-Roader!

Please remember the following basics for Off-Road trails:
1. Tyres - Highway or AT tyres are mostly no use in sticky situations.
2. 4x4 - Very very important to get out of a bad situation safely or getting out at all.
3. Backup vehicle - In case badly stuck or having a breakdown.
4. Towing equipment - At least a 3-Ton Tow Rope along with point 3. Better still if you also have a winch.

Just wanted to get this out...

Last edited by roy_libran : 20th December 2012 at 09:34. Reason: OT Disclaimer Added
roy_libran is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 11:56   #1767
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post

Please remember the following basics for Off-Road trails:
1. Tyres - Highway or AT tyres are mostly no use in sticky situations.
2. 4x4 - Very very important to get out of a bad situation safely or getting out at all.
3. Backup vehicle - In case badly stuck or having a breakdown.
4. Towing equipment - At least a 3-Ton Tow Rope along with point 3. Better still if you also have a winch.

Just wanted to get this out...
Adding to your list, most of the owners have no clue how incapable a 2wd car with an open differential can be. For example if one of the powered wheels gets stuck the car is good for nothing.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 12:10   #1768
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Adding to your list, most of the owners have no clue how incapable a 2wd car with an open differential can be. For example if one of the powered wheels gets stuck the car is good for nothing.
Look who is talking!
We know, your Laura was in Leh, not so long ago.
I see you are jealous of the Duster....

Just pulling your leg :-)

Cheers!
Old 20th December 2012, 13:52   #1769
BHPian

After seeing some posts on delivery within two weeks, I checked with the Chennai dealer about delivery of 85PS. I was told that the waiting period for basic model is 3 to 4 months, but 85 RLX(O) can be delivered in 10 to 15 days. I am wondering if it is true or will there be delays after making the booking. If it is true, perhaps it makes sense to buy now and beat the price hike. Any one has taken recent deliveries in Chennai can give a feedback on waiting time?

I am still trying hard to make up my mind/justify 1.5 lacs more for Duster over Vento
Old 20th December 2012, 15:11   #1770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post

Whoever buy duster they are not looking for a serious offroader in duster
its a perfect balance between and sedan and SUV. its a known fact

even a Pajero or fortuner cant match the capabilities of gypsy/Thar or a force ghurka
arunrajk81 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks