Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2012, 17:52   #1681

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Is it worth waiting that much for any vehicle? I am simply confounded by this attitude on part of Renault. Awaiting the Ecosport. The way the waiting list for the 85 bhp variants is going, chances are that the Ecosport will be delivered close to the expected date for Duster. ( provided Ford launches by February.)
I again went to the Renault Showroom (Sprint - South Delhi) to inquire about the whereabouts of my Duster. My nightmare came true. Now the delivery date is further postponed to Feb. I had booked a Diesel RXE (85 ps) in Woodland Brown on 20th of July. The sales manager told me, that they are yet to deliver a few cars booked in June. Apparently, Renault is sending only 2-3 Diesel RXEs in a lot of 100 cars. Are we third world beggars to be treated like this ? I am seriously contemplating taking my deposit and pre-booking a Ford Ecosport. Even though i was one of the first to trust the brand and put down my money on the Duster, this turn of events has left a bitter after-taste.
Old 10th December 2012, 19:17   #1682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I strongly feel its a trick by dealers/Renault to convert 85 booking into 110 or Rxz

If you analyze the pattern as observed in this very same thread, it goes something like those who booked 85 variants get to opt for the 110 bhp variant for immediate delivery.
Thats why I want to collate responses and try to figure out if it makes sense or not. If they knew 6 months ago that all bookings are for 85, then why make only 110s! There might be some kaala in the daal -- hopefully if enough data points are available, we can see if there is evidence of the pattern that you are speculating about. As of now, we only have 3-4 data points. Not enough yet!
Old 10th December 2012, 20:11   #1683
BHPian

Back from a 850 Km trip from Coimbatore-bannari-mettupalayam-Ooty-gudaloor-sultan bathery-kannur-Calicut-Coimbatore. My 110PS behaved really well during the entire trip which involved quite a bit of ghat driving. It was a pleasure to drive, got an average of 14 KMPL as at least 40% of drive was in 2nd & 3rd gear.

The odo now reads 2534 and its been 38 days since I have taken delivery. I have not faced any major issues till now except twice the ICE crashed and it took more than 15 mins for any response to occur. I will be taking my beast for first service sometime this week and will rise this issue there and see the response.

Cheers
Old 10th December 2012, 20:56   #1684
BHPian

So today, I got the patch for the infamous bluetooth issue. It still didnt solve the problem!!!! After weeks of waiting for a good solution, utter disappointment. I have a bad feeling Renault is not able to get to the root of the issue and we will never have a clean solution.
suchit23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 22:58   #1685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@RR, all cars come with a cap for this socket. What I was trying to tell is to check for loose wires / in-correctly connected wires at the rear of the socket. You will need to take the socket out of it's position before you can check it. Were you able to do this ?
I understood your point, Condor.

The context of the cap for the socket was the point by AutoIndian about a hair-clip getting lodged inside accidentally and shorting the port.

I will check out the possibility of a loose wire at the rear of the socket.
Thanks again for the tip!

OT - but more like the Main Topic for most- a little birdie tells me that these blokes at Renault are planning a 20 K price hike for the Duster very soon!

Last edited by Rigid Rotor : 10th December 2012 at 23:03.
Old 10th December 2012, 23:52   #1686
BHPian

Ok after 1 week and 850 kms here are my observations related to niggles.

- no ICE or bluetooth issue.
- I started to hear a rattling sound from from left side over potholed roads like old madras road.
- outside smell gets into cabin of it is strong.
- smell from a closed car is more in sunlight. Looks like material used emits the smell in sunlight.
- found a pack of ssolid bolts under rear seat. Did anyone find this?
- fifth spare is not an alloy.
- manual does not state anything about the engine oil used in duster. Neither the rating nor the brand or rating. What engine oil does duster use?
- first service is at 2000 kms. Why do some members say it is at 2500kms?
- manual says engine oil need to be changed during service. Do they at first service?
- what can I expect from service at first service?
acroback is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 07:40   #1687
BANNED

What should be the price for a 5 months used 110 RXL in Bangalore.

Also what to look for while buying used ones.

Waiting for some good suggestions.
Old 11th December 2012, 10:20   #1688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
Visited trident renault today. Sales guy said min 9 months for 85 P.s Diesel engine. 110 waiting period was 3 months apparently. How is the scene in other cities?
Quote:
Originally Posted by torquing_points View Post
Guys, for all of you who are still waiting for your Duster, could you share when you booked,.....

I just called my dealer, and here is the estimate for my booking:

I booked:
Model:85 RLX (O)
Color: Red
Booked Date: Sep 10.
Initial promised time: Dec 1st week. Revised delivery estimate: January some time.

PS, if I change my red to a white or silver, supposedly I can get it next week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suchit23 View Post
I am at the dealer right now in Bangalore. And the SA is telling me there are 25 pieces of RXZs available of the shelf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I strongly feel its a trick by dealers/Renault to convert 85 booking into 110 or Rxz

If you analyze the pattern as observed in this very same thread, it goes something like those who booked 85 variants get to opt for the 110 bhp variant for immediate delivery.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by xploSID View Post
I again went to the Renault Showroom (Sprint - South Delhi) to inquire about the whereabouts of my Duster. My nightmare came true. Now the delivery date is further postponed to Feb. I had booked a Diesel RXE (85 ps) in Woodland Brown on 20th of July. ...... Renault is sending only 2-3 Diesel RXEs in a lot of 100 cars.
I had booked my 85PS RxL (O) black, on July 12th. The delivery was scheduled to start in August. My priority number was 206 at that particular dealership and I was to get my car in September. When called in September I was told the production currently was for White & Brown and black would be delayed. A couple of weeks later the dealer representative suggested I give a change in colour choice so I could get my car earlier. His suggestion, white or silver (brown would be delayed inordinately). In early October, I was offered a 110PS Black which I did not want. Finally I relented in the last week of October and settled for a Graphite grey but 85 PS RxL (O) which I took delivery on 1st November.

When I went to pick up my car I happened to stop by at their yard which is on the highway. There were a large number of brown & black Dusters in the lot but all were allegedly 110PS!

A couple of weeks ago a friend went to book a 85PS and was told about a 4-6 month waiting period. He was told that the 110PS would only require a 2 month wait but within a week he got a call to pick up a brown 110 PS RxZ!!

My take is that Renault had expected more bookings for the110 PS, but had not bargained for our obsession with FE. Now their dealers are stuck with excess numbers of 110PS so they are discouraging bookings of 85PS. They only 'inflate' the waiting period to ensure the 'premium' value of 110 PS is retained.

Rajshenoy is right here. It is most likely a trick by the dealers to wipe out stocks before December end.
woodcrawler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 11:37   #1689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcrawler View Post

My take is that Renault had expected more bookings for the110 PS, but had not bargained for our obsession with FE. Now their dealers are stuck with excess numbers of 110PS so they are discouraging bookings of 85PS. They only 'inflate' the waiting period to ensure the 'premium' value of 110 PS is retained.

Rajshenoy is right here. It is most likely a trick by the dealers to wipe out stocks before December end.
Well its not just about the FE - the 85 is an easier drive, and I think people have realized that now even though not many people have been able to TD the 85 AND the 110.

So I went to the dealer again, and it turns out that if I get black or white 85, then I can get near immediate delivery. So, basically, it seems like the whole booking system is out the window. Why can I get white or black immediately? Hasnt someone else booked this 85?? Why am I getting priority to get their car?

Basically, looks like we are back to the way bookings were being made earlier in the days when allocation was completely up to the dealer. Anyway, I'll get a different color and be happy that I at least got an 85. They tried to push the 110 on to me as well -- but the clutch is really uncomfortable on that model, and I was clear that I dont want that.
Old 11th December 2012, 12:51   #1690
Senior - BHPian

A really late review from a disinterested tester.

I was with a friend over the weekend who is looking to buy a new car and had asked for a test drive of the Duster, which arrived when I was with him and hence went along for the ride of a RXZ 110.

The good bits first:
* The car handles and rides well and dismisses bad roads with ease.
* The seats are comfortable and there is sufficient room in the back with the front seat pushed all the way back. It ain't a Honda City but it is adequate.
* I didn't feel any perceptible turbo lag and the engine pulled cleanly in third from low speeds. One reason I may not have felt the lag is because the clutch, while not hard, engages in the middle of its play and because I was unsure about its action I was revving the car to prevent it from stalling and hence I may have crossed the lag threshold.
* The hydraulic lift arm for the bonnet is nice.

The bad bits:
* The ergonomics are a mess, like the official review says. The front power-window switches are way forward on the door and the ones on the rear door are way back. Door lock/unlock button is on the left-hand side.
* The quality of the doors, wipers, power-window switches and A/C knobs are pathetic. The seat belts seemed really flimsy. The wiper/light stalks were of average quality. Those things - belts, stalks etc. - I felt are better quality in my wife's Santro.
* The LHS/RHS rear-view mirrors are small and inadequate.
* The 4-stock speakers produce poor sound (the audio system was a touch-screen, after-market unit installed by the dealer.)
* The rear-A/C unit sticks out a lot and effectively makes the car a four-seater. I also elbowed it while unhooking the seat belt in front.

Overall, it is a car that has created a new category but at 14 lacs for the top-end, in my opinion, it's not worth the money. Maybe that price would be acceptable if it was a 4x4 version. I kept thinking for that much money (or a little under it) a Vento or a Honda City makes you feel good every time you sit inside but the compromises in the Duster will always make you feel a little short-changed.

As far as delivery goes, the dealer said the 85(O) has a wait of at least 3-4 months but if one is color-agnostic then the RXZ can be had almost off-the-shelf.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 13:15   #1691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquing_points View Post
Well its not just about the FE - the 85 is an easier drive, ......

So I went to the dealer again, and it turns out that if I get black or white 85, then I can get near immediate delivery. .....

.... Anyway, I'll get a different color and be happy that I at least got an 85. They tried to push the 110 on to me as well -- but the clutch is really uncomfortable on that model, and I was clear that I dont want that.
Yes Sir, The 85 drives beautifully. I love that car. I wish your dealer was the one I was negotiating with. At least I'd have got my black, and probably a car without leaks.
Old 11th December 2012, 14:25   #1692

Quote:

I second you. And i am not going to budge and bullied into buying a higher variant.
Old 11th December 2012, 15:36   #1693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrographics View Post
The suggestion might be not to your liking but if its 5 months, it seems to be the first lot.
You might have to pay the same price as the person who bought it for, the prices of the Duster has gone up quiet a bit by then.

For all those who are getting the 110PS after booking the 85PS should go for 110 (if finance is not a constraint) in my humble opinion. The 85PS drive inside the city is smooth but that does not mean 110PS is a non performer.
The 110PS is faster than the XUV within 0-100 by some 1.4 sec,
experienced this myself time and again.
Slotting the car in 6th gear is a different feeling all together.

Last edited by himadrimondal : 11th December 2012 at 15:40.
Old 11th December 2012, 17:16   #1694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrographics View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
The suggestion might be not to your liking but if its 5 months, it seems to be the first lot.

Rakeshji,

If there is a Duster for sale already I'd would personally not opt for a 110Ps but rather go for an 85PS. I've not driven the 110PS except when they got it for a test drive here.

Now, more than a month after I got my 85PS I find it a great car for city driving. If someone has put it up for sale it must be because they expected too much SUV in what is really a large hatch! Of course, there is distinct possibility that they are upset about all the multiple niggles that a lot of Duster owners are facing (including, yours truly).

I think the 85PS RxL(O) is loaded with features that we all will use happily. That rear A/C in the top end variant of 110PS is an eyesore and sticks out in everyone's way! The seat height adjustment is a good thing to have but I don't miss it, besides it is configured very weirdly!

I hear that a lot of Duster owners are 'transferring' their allotment to others for a premium (making hay while the sun still shines on Renault), so I expect there may not be a big discount, especially after the price hike.

After having said that, I'd say the 5 month old Duster will be a good choice since I read somewhere before the launch that the first lot had only 20% indigenisation as opposed to the 40% in the new vehicles. So paying the same price as what the original owner got it for may not be a bad bargain after all!

Of course, you already know all the various problems faced by Duster owners are (water leakage, erratic fuel gauge, body rattles, blutooth connectivity problems, outside odour creeping in, and the list is growing).

Finally, I think the 85PS RxL (O) at around 11 lac is a better bargain than the 110PS RxZ around 13 lac.

Having said all that, I want to tell you, even with all the niggles; I love my Duster. It drives like car not like a SUV, and I'm not thinking of selling it any time for the next 3-4 years

Rajesh
Old 11th December 2012, 17:41   #1695
BANNED

Quote:
Rakeshji,

If there is a Duster for sale already I'd would personally not opt for a 110Ps but rather go for an 85PS. I've not driven the 110PS except when they got it for a test drive here.

Now, more than a month after I got my 85PS I find it a great car for city driving. If someone has put it up for sale it must be because they expected too much SUV in what is really a large hatch! Of course, there is distinct possibility that they are upset about all the multiple niggles that a lot of Duster owners are facing (including, yours truly).

I think the 85PS RxL(O) is loaded with features that we all will use happily. That rear A/C in the top end variant of 110PS is an eyesore and sticks out in everyone's way! The seat height adjustment is a good thing to have but I don't miss it, besides it is configured very weirdly!

I hear that a lot of Duster owners are 'transferring' their allotment to others for a premium (making hay while the sun still shines on Renault), so I expect there may not be a big discount, especially after the price hike.

After having said that, I'd say the 5 month old Duster will be a good choice since I read somewhere before the launch that the first lot had only 20% indigenisation as opposed to the 40% in the new vehicles. So paying the same price as what the original owner got it for may not be a bad bargain after all!

Of course, you already know all the various problems faced by Duster owners are (water leakage, erratic fuel gauge, body rattles, blutooth connectivity problems, outside odour creeping in, and the list is growing).

Finally, I think the 85PS RxL (O) at around 11 lac is a better bargain than the 110PS RxZ around 13 lac.

Having said all that, I want to tell you, even with all the niggles; I love my Duster. It drives like car not like a SUV, and I'm not thinking of selling it any time for the next 3-4 years

Rajesh
Doctor,

The guy is selling 110 RXL with Allows MINUS Airbags.

I've driven both 85 and 110 and definitely 85 is better suited for city driving and 110 for highway cruising and I know how Renault engine behaves because I own Logan at present.

The person selling 110 RXL is shifting abroad on a job assignment for 2 years and he is not able to keep the vehicle idle hence selling it.

I just thought of provided he agrees to my offer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks