Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2012, 10:07   #1726
AWD
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcrawler View Post
had a new experience today. The engine started revving spontaneously
Happened to me during TD, the accelerator pedal got stuck in the foot mat at the fullest acceleration. I immediately applied brakes, handbrake & cut off the ignition. Tha damn thing came to a halt after some distance but it was a horrible experience. It was lucky that the I was driving on an abandoned road, on a highway or busy road the situation had full potential to turn ugly.
AWD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2012, 10:24   #1727
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post

Happened to me during TD, the accelerator pedal got stuck in the foot mat at the fullest acceleration. I immediately applied brakes, handbrake & cut off the ignition. Tha damn thing came to a halt after some distance but it was a horrible experience. It was lucky that the I was driving on an abandoned road, on a highway or busy road the situation had full potential to turn ugly.
Sorry, but you should NOT have cut off ignition / engine (though you might have panicked & did it). Ideally you should have shifted to neutral, braked, brought it to a halt & then stopped the engine. Now a days there are lots of vehicles with brakes & steering that stops functioning once the ignition is cut. And those instances can turn fatal even if there are no vehicles in the road!

I am NOT trying to blame you, a lot of people might do the same under panic conditions, but thought I will put down a better solution. :-)
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2012, 10:55   #1728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Duster experts,

It seem my woes are endless.

I had a new experience today. The engine started revving spontaneously while driving and I had to switch off for about 15 seconds on a busy road to get the problem to settle. The nearest service center is in Coimbatore and I'm due to give my car for service on 18th.

Have anyone had a similar experience of engine racing automatically in a running car?

I have posted a thread under 'Technical Stuff'. Please give your inputs there.

The link is here.

Thanks,

Rajesh
Check my comment. Most likely its faulty throttle cable. In my case it was a five year old car so cable used to get stuck resulting in mad acceleration
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2012, 11:11   #1729
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Sorry, but you should NOT have cut off ignition / engine (though you might have panicked & did it). Ideally you should have shifted to neutral, braked, brought it to a halt & then stopped the engine.
I would say thanks on educating me about that, I actually knew that but yes I panicked & a reason for sudden panic is that the road was approaching a dead end, only left turn.

I was braking but that was not working due to huge amounts of acceleration, I wanted the power to die immediately. I knew I did not have to steer left or right, the vehicle had to stop in a straight line. Btw I guess steering does not lock if the ignition key is left inserted !
AWD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2012, 11:35   #1730
BHPian

I hear a faint 'varraaakk varraaakk' noise from the rear suspension when I hit a speed breaker. This is more evident when the boot is not loaded. Do you guys experience the same? I also tried holding on to the roof rail and simulated 'rolling' the noise was evident.
And if I'm not wrong, the whistling noise you hear from the turbo when you turn off the engine means you don't have to idle the engine before turning it off right? There was nothing mentioned in the owner's manual as well. I believe Renault being the inventors of turbo have a better technology than what others have.
Old 15th December 2012, 20:37   #1731
BHPian

For those who love the Dusty Duster check out the pics below. Vehicle belongs to a friend of mine from Kasaragod / Kerala. Some neat modification made the duster look Outstanding.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-rish-3.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-rish-1.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-rish-2.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-rish5.jpg  

webblescott is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th December 2012, 23:40   #1732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkid View Post
I hear a faint 'varraaakk varraaakk' noise from the rear suspension when I hit a speed breaker. This is more evident when the boot is not loaded. Do you guys experience the same? I also tried holding on to the roof rail and simulated 'rolling' the noise was evident.
And if I'm not wrong, the whistling noise you hear from the turbo when you turn off the engine means you don't have to idle the engine before turning it off right? There was nothing mentioned in the owner's manual as well. I believe Renault being the inventors of turbo have a better technology than what others have.
Did u check jack holding nut it is bolted to,i had similar thing happened to me, the nut holding the jack in place came off,
which resulted in Thack Thack sound form rear while hit a pothole or breaker.
Old 16th December 2012, 08:13   #1733
BHPian

Had been on a long drive for over 1500 Kms and the vehicle performed very well,Braking was excellent.One sour note,the rear left door once refused to be closed,because the lever on the door would not move and was jamming against the side lock cladding.
Old 16th December 2012, 09:33   #1734
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Check my comment. Most likely its faulty throttle cable. In my case it was a five year old car so cable used to get stuck resulting in mad acceleration
I think all these cars are now fly by wire...no cables anywhere! It might be a sensor issue.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2012, 12:14   #1735
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Sorry, but you should NOT have cut off ignition / engine (though you might have panicked & did it). Ideally you should have shifted to neutral, braked, brought it to a halt & then stopped the engine........... I will put down a better solution. :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Quote:
I would say thanks on educating me about that, I actually knew that but yes I panicked & a reason for sudden panic is that the road was approaching a dead end, only left turn.

Btw I guess steering does not lock if the ignition key is left inserted !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I think all these cars are now fly by wire...no cables anywhere! It might be a sensor issue.
I agree with swiftnfurious. AWD. Whatever the state of panic, we should have the presence of mind to follow simple driving protocols. Besides, if the road was a dead end I guess we should be slowing down rather that acceleratin. As far as I know, the power steering works only when ignition is on. Just inserting a key won't help.

@ rajshenoy, just sent the vehicle to the coimbatore service center. Leaving it with them for 4 days to sort out all the problems. Will update after that. But this problem did not occur again after that.
Old 18th December 2012, 12:23   #1736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I doubt about the cable part. I dont think Duster is technologically so much advanced !! its just that Renault decided to price it more !!

But, since it is a pretty new car here in this case, I dont think cable or throttle body goes for a toss so early !! So your doubt about senor might also be true

Lets wait for the update.
Old 18th December 2012, 14:38   #1737
BHPian

Duster Prices to increase by another 1.5 % from Jan 2013 onwards!

http://www.oncars.in/Car-News-Detail...ar-prices/3375
Old 18th December 2012, 14:48   #1738
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
I agree with swiftnfurious. AWD. Whatever the state of panic, we should have the presence of mind to follow simple driving protocols. Besides, if the road was a dead end I guess we should be slowing down rather that acceleratin. As far as I know, the power steering works only when ignition is on. Just inserting a key won't help.
I myself agree on it! Good thing about the episode was that the big flaw of accelerator pedal sticking into the floor mats surfaced. I was on a TD, so I intended to speed up & then test braking.

Regarding the PS, I guess when the ignition key is in, the steering does not lock up. It locks only when key is taken out. Atleast this is what I've experienced in my cars, don't know about Duster but should be same in all cars.

The approach I applied was not all that bad & in the end I was able to bring the car to a standstill without any mis-happening. So its all well that ends well. The fault lied with the vehicle & not my approach. Many cars worldwide have been recalled due to similar problems. I've highlighted an important aspect in Duster, consumers should dwell into more & get the company to rectify the fault a.s.a.p.
Old 18th December 2012, 15:41   #1739
BHPian

Can anyone please share the current price of Renault Duster RxL 110 (O) in Delhi?.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...rxl-110-o.html

i have checked on renault website and this variant is not present.
Even the dealers are not aware if such model is present and the only option given to me was 110 RXL/110 RXZ(o).
Old 18th December 2012, 16:38   #1740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick555 View Post
Can anyone please share the current price of Renault Duster RxL 110 (O) in Delhi?.

i have checked on renault website and this variant is not present.
Even the dealers are not aware if such model is present and the only option given to me was 110 RXL/110 RXZ(o).
Maverick555, as far as I know, Renault has never had an RxL(O) in110PS. The RxL(O) version is the top end version of the 85PS series. If you using the car primarily for city driving, it is a good option to consider - 85PS RxL (O)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks