Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2012, 17:37   #976
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Neil,

Just to confirm, did you check tyre pressure after the purchase. Because mostly new ones come with much higher tyre pressure.
Since you have done quite some driving already, I dont think that should have been the problem. Never the less, just wanted to confirm.
+1 to this. While taking delivery of my Duster I had mentioned to my SA about Neil's burst tyre. He told me the same thing that pressure will be very high and people do not check it and continue driving. Apparently the high pressure helps in the transport in trucks from factory to stockyard.

And indeed it was true. All my tyres were at 45 PSI, I got them down to 29 without any delay
Old 26th September 2012, 17:48   #977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P76 View Post
Hi Neil, could you upload a photo of the burst tyre, if you have one? May be our friends who have had similar tyre burst incidents could comment . IMO, a cut in the tyre need not have occured in the same time it had burst, instead, it could have been caused a lot earlier, and may be even very minor, but with usage, the ply chords would give way under strain such as highway runs.
Will go to Khivraj first thing tomorow morning and get the photos. To be honest, I too really want to know why the tyre failed. Iam really hoping it is not a manufacturing defect, as that is an uneasy lingering thought in my mind every time I take the Duster out for a long drive. Besides, each tyre costs upwards of Rs.9000/-
Even otherwise, the Duster is meant to be driven over rough roads and no roads comfortably and reliably.Let's not kid ourselves. That is it's ONLY USP. So, Renault must have the responsibility to identify tyres which can withstand such abuse. If they cannot offer even that, what else are they going to offer?Plush interiors? Loaded to the hilt gadgets?
They've taken 12.25 lakhs of my money and I demand my money's worth. I will rave and rant but at the end of the day, the Duster is still a dream come true and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

OT Iam Ashbel's brother. Tried PMing you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Neil,

Just to confirm, did you check tyre pressure after the purchase. Because mostly new ones come with much higher tyre pressure.
Since you have done quite some driving already, I dont think that should have been the problem. Never the less, just wanted to confirm.
The first thing I did after taking delivery was fixing alloys and keeping a tyre pressure of 32 PSI(Company recommendation is 29). I filled it with nitrogen.
Neil Roy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 19:02   #978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
Besides, each tyre costs upwards of Rs.9000/-
I am surprised to see the cost of the tyre that you have mentioned as Rs.9000/-. Is this price for MRF wanderer ( 215/65/R16) or some other brand / size ?

When I was hunting for better upgrade for mine in Bangalore, I was told that the price of the MRF is Rs.6400/-. Being in a different state , It could be +/- a few hundreds and cannot be Rs.9000/-.

Please reconfirm the price once again.

Regards,

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 26th September 2012 at 21:11. Reason: FIXING QUOTE
Old 26th September 2012, 20:17   #979
Senior - BHPian

Now that i am seeing plenty of dusters on the road, i am curious to know if anyone has bought the extra jump seats that renault has shown in the list of accessories. I am interested to see how these would look on the real car
Old 27th September 2012, 11:58   #980
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I am curious to know if anyone has bought the extra jump seats that renault has shown in the list of accessories.
I saw these seats in person at the dealer and they are just not worth it. Duster is purely a 5 Seater and if you get the top end 110 bhp version a 4 seater due the silly rear cooler box between the front seats. Usually third row seating can be usable atleast for kids. But the renault third row seat looks like they just opened up an old 20 inch VIP suit case and put some foam inside.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 12:02   #981
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I saw these seats in person at the dealer and they are just not worth it. Duster is purely a 5 Seater and if you get the top end 110 bhp version a 4 seater due the silly rear cooler box between the front seats. Usually third row seating can be usable atleast for kids. But the renault third row seat looks like they just opened up an old 20 inch VIP suit case and put some foam inside.
Yes i was interested to know from a perspective of accomodating couple of kids below 10 years and that too occasionally for short distances when car is loaded.

If its like a VIP suitcase, i can as well try a VIP
Old 27th September 2012, 12:26   #982
BHPian

Hi Friends,

I read some where that Duster is sharing Platform with Logan
If Duster is a monocoque build and body shape is definitely different from Logan where this Platform sharing happens ?
The bottom of the Body where Drive train suspension etc that attached is similar to Logan is that what it means ?
Old 27th September 2012, 13:28   #983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I use a large trolley bag and it is quite tall too so the available width in the Duster or indeed the Yeti, when taken from one side to the other side in the confines of the boot area, cannot fit the bag when laterally placed. It can fit when placed diagonally and for this one needs to put down the rear seats. The Scorpio could easily fit the golf bag laterally in the rear along with the trolley etc with the rear seat up, so I could also carry two or three passengers in the back. I have been on golf trips with friends where I ve fitted in 4 large golf bags and trolleys in the Scorpio.
Hi again Shankar,

Quick update. My golf bag with 14 clubs incl. the driver (1 wood) fits nicely and completely horizontally in the boot of my Duster. Just to experiment I could also fit it between the front and rear seats with the option of putting the rear seat backs down for more space. So I don't see a problem with the golfing ...
Clouseau is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 20:18   #984
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunrajk81 View Post
Hi Friends,

I read some where that Duster is sharing Platform with Logan
If Duster is a monocoque build and body shape is definitely different from Logan where this Platform sharing happens ?
The bottom of the Body where Drive train suspension etc that attached is similar to Logan is that what it means ?
Platform sharing doesn't necessarily mean the carry-over of a chassis only. It could be the suspension-components, the engine and gearbox, brakes and electronics, and other crucial parts. In the case of the Duster-Logan, several mechanical-components are probably shared between the two.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 23:22   #985

Platform sharing means the floorpan. Most Dacias share a basic floorpan, but in some cases it is lengthened. The pick up points for the suspension are similar but length and track can be modified.

For example the Duster shares the same basic floorpan with the Logan, and uses the same seats, heating systems and dashboard architecture, etc.etc.. The track is widened and the chassis jacked up and strengthened for ground clearance. Of course there are spring and damper variations and modifications are made when fitted with the 4x4 system.

The 'old' Sandero and the Logan even use the same front doors as the Duster, or the reverse if you like. And the revised Sandero, just released at the Paris show, has a slightly shortened chassis, but can still be had with a jacked up chassis, when it is called the Stepway. In fact, this is the car I may go for myself, because it is basically a narrower, shorter Duster and only a couple of centimetres lower, but it will be cheaper and will suit me just as well. Lower tax and emissons too, because it will come wih the same 1.5dCi engine, but in 90hp tune.

Most manufacturers use modified floorpans across models because designing a floorpan is, after a new engine, one of the most expensive parts of car engineering. Just don't confuse chassis, as the term was once used, and floorpan. These days they chassis and floorpan are used to mean pretty much the same thing, whereas in the old days a chassis as a rigid assembly of steel elements onto which the completely separate body was bolted.

Another example is that of the Fiat Punto and the Opel Corsa, they are both built on the same basic chassis (floorpan) and the Opel also uses the Fiat Diesel engine, but as far as buyers are concerned they are totally different cars. There are many similar examples.
Ulpian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 00:03   #986
Distinguished - BHPian

Hormazd Sorabjee says
Quote:
Nissan confirms Duster based SUV in 2013
Yippeee! I just hope it looks exactly (or better) like the one posted in a Duster thread! This will be a better VFM compared to Renault product, probably they will have a re-designed rear AC vent from the beginning & hope they sort out all issues reported so far.

And above all, I believe the 85 PS RXL(O) & 110 PS RXL should be within the 10L bracket [ex showroom] across India, so more savings on the on-road price!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 28th September 2012 at 00:06.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 07:21   #987
BHPian

When I test drove duster, I asked sales guy if nissan is launching a duster based crossover? He replied yes they will next year which will be cheaper than duster. I thought he was just bluffing, looks like he was right.

According to showroom guys the strategy to launch same vehicle under renault and nissan is to not leave space for anyone else to squeeze up and eat up their share. Weird logic, selling is just one part of the problem. You need impeccable service network too. What about parts cost!
Old 28th September 2012, 08:00   #988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkaushal View Post
I am surprised to see the cost of the tyre that you have mentioned as Rs.9000/-. Is this price for MRF wanderer ( 215/65/R16) or some other brand / size ?

When I was hunting for better upgrade for mine in Bangalore, I was told that the price of the MRF is Rs.6400/-. Being in a different state , It could be +/- a few hundreds and cannot be Rs.9000/-.

Please reconfirm the price once again.

Regards,
The quote was given by my regular tyre dealer for michelins. Anyways online tyre store claims a price of Rs.10000/- for Michelins and Rs.8000/- for yokohomas. Will get the exact price and revert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Hormazd Sorabjee says Yippeee! I just hope it looks exactly (or better) like the one posted in a Duster thread!
Found this article on the net.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/News-F...e1-935078.aspx

I guess all is not well in paradise. Also no means yes. The sooner Nissan comes out with it's Duster version the better, as spare part costs will come down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post
Why only a Chennai Dusters meet? Is the ROI not good enough?
Just filled up for the second time in my 85. It's probably not great but on the first tank I got 15.1 kmpl purely in the city. Renault guys say this will increase.
At 15.1 kmpl in city, all you 85 PS guys can come from any part of India for Duster meet on a really frugal budget.Just a word of caution though. Maintain RPM above 1200, as low RPM on all gears gives you greater mileage at the cost of increased rattling, reduced engine bed life etc. I can say this for sure as my friend's logan was returning 18 kmpl inside city. We were all happy till 10000 Kms when the engine started to vibrate more on starts and the whole vehicle rattled.Luckily got the replacement for engine bed under warranty. But the rattles remain.

Last edited by Neil Roy : 28th September 2012 at 08:06.
Neil Roy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 10:40   #989
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone confirm the current waiting period for 85ps versions of diesel in Mumbai?
Old 28th September 2012, 12:06   #990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy

The quote was given by my regular tyre dealer for michelins. Anyways online tyre store claims a price of Rs.10000/- for Michelins and Rs.8000/- for yokohomas. Will get the exact price and revert.
Are you sure you are getting Yokos for Duster size? I did not find any online and the dealer confirmed the same. I got quotes of 10+ for Michelin Latitude Tour and 9+ for BS Duelers. And best exchange price for the brand new Wanderers I have got is 5 grands. Thinking of going with BS as Michelin is too soft for Indian roads for a vehicle which will be driven rough over bad roads.

Any advise from other members here would be highly appreciated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks