Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2012, 20:15   #946
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Michelin Primacy LC is not suitable for a Duster. It's a heavy SUV and risk of damages is more if you are using a car tyre like Primacy LC.
Duster is not a particularly heavy SUV. With a kerb weight of around 1200Kg its marginally heavier than a typical sedan. Do you recommend any other brand with the same specifications? I am on the lookout for a possible tyre swap.
Old 24th September 2012, 21:07   #947
BHPian

My Duster 85 RxL (O) - Initial impressions.

I took delivery of my Duster 85 RxL (O) on 18th Sept. As most of you know, this is the version with airbags, ABS, alloy wheels and rear parking sensors – a variant, the delivery of which was substantially delayed due to supply-chain issues. In my case, the wait was almost to the date, 3 months.

On 21st, I went on a 2-day road trip and covered about 600 km. Following are some of my observations which may be of use to fellow BHP-ians:-

• The vehicle takes on both pot-holed roads and national highways with equal ease. The driveability is brilliant. Yes, you do experience slight turbo-lag at low RPM-s, which is to be expected, I guess. At higher speeds, the Duster feels solid and steady, giving a sense of real security.

• Being a new vehicle, I never pushed it over 100 Kmph and at that speed, there was virtually no wind noise.

• The ICE system provided is pretty basic and I think will be adequate for most users except audiophiles. Bluetooth pairing of cell phones were effortless. It is also not so difficult to work the stalk controlling the audio, once you get used to it.

• Yes, the plastics do not look or feel upmarket, especially the AC controls which feel frighteningly flimsy, ready to break off at the slightest pressure.

• Some members had mentioned inadvertent operation of the rear power windows due to incorrect position of the switch. Happened just once, in my case. Not a real deal-breaker.

• When you turn on the left/right indicators, the flashing green light is not really visible on the dashboard, during daytime. Can be irritating when you are changing lanes on the highways.

• And that rear aircon which my variant does not have? Well, I was travelling in interior Tamil Nadu with the temp outside hovering around 37 degrees Celsius, but the aircon was more than adequate to keep the cabin cool and comfortable.

• Seat trims. Again, will not set your heart racing or anything like that. Very ordinary. You may want to put on a premium seat cover very soon.

I have covered most of the points I wanted to convey. In case, any of you guys need to know anything specific, please do write in.
Rada is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th September 2012, 21:13   #948
P76
BHPian

Michelin does manufacture tyres exclusively for the Duster in the Original Equipment tyre size:215/65 R16 98H. It is the Michelin Latitude Tour HP, which Michelin claims is for on road SUV's. I think this tyre size is unique to the Renault Duster.

Old 24th September 2012, 23:23   #949
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Michelin Primacy LC is not suitable for a Duster. It's a heavy SUV and risk of damages is more if you are using a car tyre like Primacy LC.
The Duster is actually feather-light @ just under 1200 kgs kerb-weight.

Either way, I don't think it would be a great idea going in for Primacy LCs. The Duster's ride quality over broken road is phenomenal and generally when it's that good, you tend to take the tires and suspension for granted. The suspension will take the beating in the long run, but the tires wouldn't last too long if you hurtle through rough-roads. And the chances are you will, when it rides so nicely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by P76 View Post
Michelin does manufacture tyres exclusively for the Duster in the Original Equipment tyre size:215/65 R16 98H. It is the Michelin Latitude Tour HP, which Michelin claims is for on road SUV's. I think this tyre size is unique to the Renault Duster.
The Michelin Latitude Tour HP is available in a range of sizes, as far as I know. You could even get a set for 20" wheels. It is also available for the Duster in the OE size mentioned too.
Old 25th September 2012, 05:41   #950
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian

Not many people will buy the petrol Duster in britain because it is thisty and comes only in the very lowest spec car: white only (which I happen to like) , no A/C, no radio, no electric windows anywhere, no adjustable drivers seat, no painted bumpers or alloys, which also appeals to me actually, and a single backed rear seatback rather than a split one as in the other models.

I know that india doesn't get a split back seat either, but it does get a central armrest instead. In Europe most people prefer the versatility of the split seat because boot and general load carrying versatility matter here. Most of us prefer luggage space to rear seat room too, which seems to be the opposite of India. In fact here the Duster is considered to have good rear seat room, and that's how I found it too. I'm over six feet tall and I was comfortable sitting 'behind myself', so to speak.

I have read here of people carrying four people on the back seat of the Duster. This would be totally illegal here as it is forbidden to carry more than the number of seatbelts, and passengers must be belted at all times. So the Duster is a five seater: period.

Incidentally, the Yeti has less boot space than the Duster, if this matters. The Duster is definitley more utilitarian than the Yeti but I'll bet it will prove to be just as robust over time. For me the initial price of the Duster, running costs, suspension quality and comfort swing it for me. But the Yeti might be a better drive, I can't say because I haven't driven a Duster yet.

Let's wait and see.

I'd like to have a basic Diesel Duster 110, without alloys, without painted bumpers, without electric rear view mirrors, but with a split rear seat and A/C, oh, and the essential adjustable driving seat. But I can't have that combination in Britain, unfortunately, so to get A/C the top spec Laureate it has to be: pity.

Choosing a new car was never easy, and the perfect car just doesn't exist. All we can hope for is the best compromise for our needs.

I guess you are right. In India a lot of people use the back seats so leg room is important.
We also love travelling en masse with our families and friends and while the seat belt rule is there, it is mostly enforced only for the 'front seat' passengers.
Yes I agree that the Duster's luggage space is more than the Yeti's, but the lateral width is a bit of an issue, considering that I cannot fit my golf bag in the boot.
Our market here in India is more about the ' look' of the SUV rather than the real functionality. This is why the Duster was launched here without 4WD and some of the safety kit that it is available with, abroad.
And a resounding yes to the fact that the perfect car just does not exist. We simply have to buy what suits our needs best at the time!
Old 25th September 2012, 07:40   #951

Had a question to fellow duster owners. I am able to operate the front passenger power windows even when they are locked at the drivers side. Can you guys please check and let me know if this is a bug in my car or a feature in all dusters? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Naveen
Old 25th September 2012, 11:08   #952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.maverick View Post
Had a question to fellow duster owners. I am able to operate the front passenger power windows even when they are locked at the drivers side. Can you guys please check and let me know if this is a bug in my car or a feature in all dusters? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Naveen
Even if you central lock the windows the co-driver can still open his/her window. This is not a bug but apparently a feature. I had noticed this during my PDI and got it confirmed from the SA.

I have a question to the gurus. I have never been a fan of the door visors and I know, apart from spoiling they looks of the car, they have the potential to impact the aerodynamics. More is being said here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...d-install.html

However, my question is, Duster has some wind noise at high speeds. Will the door visors help that situation or make it more worse? Because if they help, I can consider them after all.
suchit23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2012, 12:03   #953
BHPian

Re: My Duster 85 RxL (O) - Initial impressions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rada View Post
I took delivery of my Duster 85 RxL (O) on 18th Sept. As most of you know, this is the version with airbags, ABS, alloy wheels and rear parking sensors – a variant, the delivery of which was substantially delayed due to supply-chain issues.
I have covered most of the points I wanted to convey. In case, any of you guys need to know anything specific, please do write in.
Many congrats on owning the most VFM variant of the duster(my personal opinion).You have not mentioned one important point that we 110PS guys want to know. The mileage.How much is it in long and within city.
Old 25th September 2012, 12:05   #954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
On another serious note, now the knob for changing air vent direction is stuck in blowing air to my legs. It is one thing to have cheap vendors, quite another to have inefficient ones.
And still I love my Duster because it rides like a dream and I hope Renault will overcome these teething issues and will have better quality vendors.
Did you get Renault to fix the AC vent issue? Keep us posted Neil.
I do agree these knobs are squishy and does not feel durable at all. Wonder how the international spec'd ones feel like.

Last edited by thalavoy : 25th September 2012 at 12:06. Reason: Line wrap
Old 25th September 2012, 13:35   #955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
And a resounding yes to the fact that the perfect car just does not exist. We simply have to buy what suits our needs best at the time!
I think it might happen in my world. Ecosport seems to be the perfect car for all my requirements.
Old 25th September 2012, 14:59   #956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Yes I agree that the Duster's luggage space is more than the Yeti's, but the lateral width is a bit of an issue, considering that I cannot fit my golf bag in the boot.
Hi Shankar,

Are you sure about the golf bag? My earlier car was longer than my Duster but narrower. With an additional 10cms of width the Duster should be able to fit in a couple/few golf bags easily. Maybe it's about positioning the bag? Of course with the rear seats down you can fit in many
Old 25th September 2012, 16:42   #957
BHPian

Re: My Duster 85 RxL (O) - Initial impressions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
Many congrats on owning the most VFM variant of the duster(my personal opinion).You have not mentioned one important point that we 110PS guys want to know. The mileage.How much is it in long and within city.
Thank you, Neil. You seem to having a whale of a time with the Duster, travelling all over TN. Way to go!

Since my vehicle is still in the "running in" period, I did not meticulously check the mileage. However, a rough, back-of-the-envelope calculation, yielded about 14.8/litre, during my outstation trip.

Within the city mileage: Give me couple of weeks. I will get back to you on this.
Rada is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2012, 17:33   #958
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by suchit23 View Post
Duster is not a particularly heavy SUV. With a kerb weight of around 1200Kg its marginally heavier than a typical sedan. Do you recommend any other brand with the same specifications? I am on the lookout for a possible tyre swap.
Suchit, that is exactly the impression I had about the Duster; not a very heavy SUV. At 1200 kg kerb weight, it is lighter than my T-Jet at 1230 kg. So back to the question? What tire?
Old 25th September 2012, 17:34   #959
BHPian

Time for a Chennai Dusters meet?
14.8 only? I am sure you can get more.
I am still in my running in period and getting 10.5 to 11.2. Of course, I rarely cross 3rd gear and can count number of times I used 6th gear.
Going to Thekkady/Kodaikanal next week. Will post my experiences on the hills once I come back.
Old 25th September 2012, 17:46   #960
BHPian

Quote:
Michelin Primacy LC is not suitable for a Duster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The Duster is actually feather-light @ just under 1200 kgs kerb-weight.

Either way, I don't think it would be a great idea going in for Primacy LCs. The Duster's ride quality over broken road is phenomenal and generally when it's that good, you tend to take the tires and suspension for granted. The suspension will take the beating in the long run, but the tires wouldn't last too long if you hurtle through rough-roads. And the chances are you will, when it rides so nicely!
The Michelin Latitude Tour HP is available in a range of sizes, as far as I know. You could even get a set for 20" wheels. It is also available for the Duster in the OE size mentioned too.
My thoughts exactly. Since the Duster handles rough terrains so well, the tendency to throw the vehicle around is more. All the more reason why the OE tyres should be carefully designed "with Indian conditions and SUV driver mentality in mind".Primacy is designed as a car tyre, meaning not just the weight but the lower centre of gravity of cars. Owing to its higher ground clearance, the centre of gravity of the duster will be higher and hence load on tyres, especially on turns is going to be higher(My theory).The stress on the side wall will be the greatest under high speed turns.So Latitude tour HP will be a more appropriate choice I think.
I am more confused by the MRF Wanderers. It offers great comfort, great handling, better performance under hard braking than any other MRF tyres I have previously seen. I would even dare say, it is car like.The burst MRF Wanderer was really soft to the touch, which surprised me in many ways.I have used MRF ZVTS on my Esteem for 50K kms and the tread was as good as new. However, the rubber in the ZVTS was rock hard and offered zero grip right from the beginning. If ride is only within city, the MRF wanderers itself should be more than sufficient, and who knows, maybe my tyre failure is a one off case.Still, it pays to be safe while driving on highways.
Have to wait and see if Renault will be supplying MRF or Michelin to it's Duster export market.My hunch is that it will be Michelin. Any takers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
Did you get Renault to fix the AC vent issue? Keep us posted Neil.
I do agree these knobs are squishy and does not feel durable at all. Wonder how the international spec'd ones feel like.
AC selector knob is now working fine albeit a little tight, but cold air vent to legs do not close completely even when I change the knob to cabin setting.

Last edited by Neil Roy : 25th September 2012 at 17:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks