Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2012, 20:42   #826
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Has any one also have trouble tuning to FM stations? A 'scan/seek' for the next station just pauses for a second on the frequency and continues. This is within the city (Chennai) and my dad's i10 doesn't have a problem to 'seek' next station.
I am talking about the wheel in the steering mounted control.
Old 7th September 2012, 20:47   #827

Quote:
Originally Posted by werfish View Post
when the fuel reaches reserve, the distance to empty in the display system gets reset to blank.
Is this consistent behavior that you see?
The closest to empty I've been is a DTE of 84km.
Nope,I've not seen the reset happen.

Mine by the way is a 110 PS RxL

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
Has any one also have trouble tuning to FM stations? ... I am talking about the wheel in the steering mounted control.
My observation is something different.
I have a couple of stations (bangalore) saved as presets.
While tuned into a preset, this has changed frequencies automagically.
Observed this a couple of times. I am sure i was not fiddling with the steering column mounted stalk.

Last edited by bblost : 7th September 2012 at 21:35. Reason: back 2 back
Old 7th September 2012, 21:17   #828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
And to all others who are having second doubts, IT IS WORTH THE WAIT

There has been no one more vociferous than me about the attitude of the dealers in general and RENAULT in particular towards the Indian market. But the car more than makes up for it. I have already clocked 4000 Kms on the duster and simply loving it. The service people are pretty well informed.
Only D- segment sedans have a significant highway cruising advantage. Maybe if you put pedal to the metal on a C-class sedan maybe you can take on the Duster, but that would be more stressing than cruising.
Met all kinds of SUVs on the highway, and the DUSTER treats them with utter disdain, excepting the really expensive ones.
Maybe the competition might throw something up to spoil the DUSTER's party, but as of now, there is not a single vehicle which can be comfortable, economical and traverse all indian roads at this price. If you have made up your mind on duster, remember, it is worth the wait.
Hi Neil, just wanted to ask you- what is the mileage you are getting now?
Old 8th September 2012, 10:29   #829
BHPian

Quote:
After waiting some time for Black, settled for Grey. Now I am proud owner of Duster 110 RXL.
Based on the one day's ride I sincerely think this is a worthy successor for my now sold Fiat Adventure.

Congrats on buying Duster, being 110 how do you feel driving in our bumper to bumper traffic in Chennai? Do you feel tired consistently changing the gears due to turbo lag? or is it OK manageable further i heard the turbo lag fads after driving a couple of thousand KM is it true?

Did you had any chance to use the sixth gear in our city how use full is it? After driving the 110, honestly speaking what do you recommend in between 85 & 110 for more city use and occasional highway drive?

Can you give me the mileage you get in city. Please do write a Ownership report for the benefit of the members if you have time.
Old 8th September 2012, 11:38   #830
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by werfish View Post
Has any of the owners noticed this, when the fuel reaches reserve, the distance to empty in the display system gets reset to blank.
I thought that is the only time that feature is really useful and it doesn't seem to work then.
@werfish, I've Logan and fuel gauge behaves same way when it reaches Reserve then Distance to Empty become - - -.
Old 8th September 2012, 12:34   #831
BHPian

@thalavoy, congrats man. Welcome to the club. I thought I was the only one to have problems with the FM seek. Dont know where I put my manual and was too shy to ask the service people.
@ Werfish,
Same thing happened to me just now. The MID just reset itself for no apparent reason.
@ BUXX,
I dont know if I'm driving with a heavy foot, but highway driving at 110-120 Km/hr gives me 15-15.5 KMPL and anything beyond 130-160 Km/hr gave me 12.3 KMPL. Inside city is returning 10-11 KMPL.

I have a major problem with my DUSTER. No 4 x 4 option
Renault Duster : Official Review-offroad1.jpg

Renault Duster : Official Review-offroad2.jpg
Neil Roy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2012, 13:24   #832
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
...Do you feel tired consistently changing the gears due to turbo lag?...
Sorry to butt in, but putting down my thoughts here. tiredness is caused more by the clutch usage. In city, it always helps to stick on to one gear lesser than you ideally would like to. This will ensure you dont end up shifting gears a lot.

Quote:
...further i heard the turbo lag fads after driving a couple of thousand KM is it true?
Nop! Fact is you get used to the turbo lag and adjusts your driving style in the long term so that it doesn't bother you much. But whenever there is an "acceleration" need, if you are NOT in the right gear, you will feel the lag.

Quote:
...After driving the 110, honestly speaking what do you recommend in between 85 & 110 for more city use and occasional highway drive?
Pick up the 85 bhp. I am sure it will still cruise easily at 120 kmph on the highway. If you need more power, invest a 20K on tuning box!
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2012, 14:51   #833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarsiddhi View Post
Hi Owners, I'm hoping to get my Duster soon (had booked in June and am in constant followup). My question to you is if you have done the upgrade to the speakers / HU , what have you done and how much did it cost.

Also let me know if any of you felt the HU was good enough / or not worth replacing with the fear of loosing out on the Bluetooth connectivity etc

Sid
The HU is actually a very good one. Play any media, CD, pen drive, BT audio, and switch off the car. Switch it on and it will start playing from exactly where it stopped.
When a call comes through the BT, the media stops playing and resumes from the same point after the call.
Have seen a lot of HU's continue playing the media in silent mode during a call.
You can see my ICE upgrade here.

Quote:
After waiting some time for Black, settled for Grey. Now I am proud owner of Duster 110 RXL.
Based on the one day's ride I sincerely think this is a worthy successor for my now sold Fiat Adventure.
Congrats Thalavoy

Quote:
@thalavoy, congrats man. Welcome to the club. I thought I was the only one to have problems with the FM seek. Dont know where I put my manual and was too shy to ask the service people.
@ Werfish,
Same thing happened to me just now. The MID just reset itself for no apparent reason.
@ BUXX,
I dont know if I'm driving with a heavy foot, but highway driving at 110-120 Km/hr gives me 15-15.5 KMPL and anything beyond 130-160 Km/hr gave me 12.3 KMPL. Inside city is returning 10-11 KMPL.

Who need a 4x4 after seeing your frames
Old 8th September 2012, 15:45   #834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitinz View Post
Hi

Took Delivery of my Gentle Beast Yesterday evening. Will upload some pics over the coming weekend. Yes it is indeed RXL 110 with option pack . It comes with alloys, Airbags, reverse sensors.

dealership experience was very very pathetic. Have driven it both in city and bit of highway and as expected turbo lag troubles in low RPM range but once it starts cruising , drive is awesome. Plastics hopefully should last ,but hand brake lever feels so clumsy.

As earlier stated on this thread , ride quality is amazing. The potholes, road bumps do not bother as much now , got to test Wipers in rain today , they did their Job just ok. Best part I like as of now is the view from front windshield.

Will try to put an ownership thread soon, hopefully!

Cheers
MODS: With reference to this post, Can you please confirm whether Renault has launched this variant or not.

I don't see the same mentioned on Duster's official site.

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 8th September 2012, 16:12   #835
BHPian

Thanks all. I am already starting to like the grey color. It seems to change the shade a bit based on the surroundings.
I would have done about 20 kms only so far. The dealer took the car back to RTO for another inspection, for some reason about affidavit as I was in a rented house and didn't have approved address proof. Will have to wait till a rain free weekend for a good long drive.
I chose 110 because I wanted to I know, if I think objectively, I will get the 85 or even Sunny or even a hatchback (Punto?). So, 110 it was. Also, I do a lot of wild life trips, so Duster was apt.
@Himadri. Great bird pictures (sent you a FB invite - as Sivakumar Shanmugasundaram)
6th gear. Forget it. In chennai, I just engaged 4th gear when I was taking a round with my family later in the night.
It is too early for checking the fuel economy. Also, yet to figure out how to operate the various meters.
Neil. Super shots of the Duster. Where was this taken? Looks 'natural'. And what is with the wheel going up like that? As to the FM seek issue, I haven't tried it yet, but planning to disable the RDS setup in the menu. will try and let you know.

Last edited by thalavoy : 8th September 2012 at 16:31.
Old 8th September 2012, 17:49   #836
BHPian

Quote:
Neil. Super shots of the Duster. Where was this taken? Looks 'natural'. And what is with the wheel going up like that?
Photos were taken in our farmhouse near kanyakumari wildlife sanctuary. A JCB was standing nearby and I thought I'l take a chance on trying out some off-roading. That way, even if I got stuck there was somebody to bail me out
But seriously, DUSTER has got off-roading ingrained in its genes. The vehicle inspires so much confidence that I was not even scared for a single moment, not even when the DUSTER was on 3 wheels. It is actually a wolf in sheep clothing.That step on the photo is a 3 feet drop with a 60 degree gradient. This is why I maintain to all who have booked the Duster, there is not a single vehicle which can do this and still cruise at 150 Km/hr on the highway at this price.So consider before cancellation. I know how frustrating it is. Been there, done that.

@ thalavoy, Enough about my escapades.Where are the photos of the Grey DUSTER?Also share your experience thus far.
Old 8th September 2012, 20:12   #837
BHPian

If any Duster owner could answer please - what is the standard location of the VIN on the vehicle body?
Old 8th September 2012, 22:51   #838
BHPian

The FM seek works once I switched off the RDS option.
For people who have 'misplaced' the manual, here is how it is done.
1. Press Menu button.
2. Rotate the centre knob to select 'RDS Setting' (press knob to select)
3. Select 'RDS' and turn it off.

Now, FM 'seek' works just fine. I don't use the preset buttons, just turn the jog wheel one tick to seek to next FM station

Haven't gotten time to take pic. Will post soon.
thalavoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2012, 10:11   #839
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
It is actually a silly move by Renault not the launch the Duster 4x4 variant, especially since they have to manufacture this model for RHD export markets.

According to Autocar India, Mahindra was expecting only 5% bookings for the XUV500 AWD variant and they ended up with 20% bookings. They are able to provide only 300 AWD variants a month causing a 6 month backlog of AWD variant. Renault should get the message from this, but then again the diesel Nissan Micra and Renault Pulse Diesel don't have ABS option, so I am not sure howmuch these guys really care...
Old 9th September 2012, 10:47   #840

Friends, sorry my last post could not pick the attachments. Posting some pictures which i had taken while visit to dealer yard. I hope it will help others to compare colors.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-duster-brown.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-duster-grey.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-duster-silver.jpg  

deltadriver is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks