Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2012, 10:50   #841
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
And to all others who are having second doubts, IT IS WORTH THE WAIT
I agree with Neil Roy that it is worth the wait. My 85RxL is the first diesel car in the family and it drives, sounds and feels like a premium petrol. I also want to place on record that I have been stopped, gestured at, waved to by several people (young and old alike) with a smile on their face when they see the Duster in the flesh. And honestly someone did tap on my window at a traffic light to ask the ultimate car question for Indians : "Kitna..."

It's been worth the wait.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 9th September 2012 at 11:31. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 9th September 2012, 11:11   #842
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
But seriously, DUSTER has got off-roading ingrained in its genes. The vehicle inspires so much confidence that I was not even scared for a single moment, not even when the DUSTER was on 3 wheels. It is actually a wolf in sheep clothing.That step on the photo is a 3 feet drop with a 60 degree gradient. This is why I maintain to all who have booked the Duster, there is not a single vehicle which can do this and still cruise at 150 Km/hr on the highway at this price.So consider before cancellation. I know how frustrating it is. Been there, done that.
Yes it has capabilities. But those capabilities are useless without AWD. I was waiting for duster launch, was in communication with the dealer long before launch and actively considering getting a Duster because of these capabilities. After launch I am disappointed. I am ready to live with a Duster which is a vehicle without much creature comforts and sad interiors if it has AWD. Without AWD, I find it pointless. Neither we get the features nor we are able to exploit the capabilities.
mxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2012, 11:25   #843
P76
BHPian

Quote:
Photos were taken in our farmhouse near kanyakumari wildlife sanctuary.
=======
@ thalavoy, Enough about my escapades.Where are the photos of the Grey DUSTER?Also share your experience thus far.
Hi Neil Roy, saw a Red Duster with the same alloys as yours with TN-01 registration last week near Pachaiayappa's college junction, (dont know if its yours), Great road presence !. BTW are you Ashbel's elder brother (Sorry if I am wrong)
Old 9th September 2012, 12:00   #844
BHPian

Any of the Duster owners opted for Teflon Coating? Is it good to have or is it another dealer gimmick?
Also, suddenly I couldn't see couple of ownership threads on Duster. Werfish and some one else (from Bangalore, I think). Can all of you see those threads?
Old 9th September 2012, 13:39   #845
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
Any of the Duster owners opted for Teflon Coating? Is it good to have or is it another dealer gimmick?
team-bhp doesn't suggest the coating on several accounts. I have also read some experiences of teflon breaking under exterior parking conditions.

Quote:
Also, suddenly I couldn't see couple of ownership threads on Duster. Werfish and some one else (from Bangalore, I think). Can all of you see those threads?
Those should be moved to "assembly line" since those are not complete. Will be back once the mods approve those!
Old 10th September 2012, 10:18   #846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy

But seriously, DUSTER has got off-roading ingrained in its genes. The vehicle inspires so much confidence that I was not even scared for a single moment, not even when the DUSTER was on 3 wheels. It is actually a wolf in sheep clothing.That step on the photo is a 3 feet drop with a 60 degree gradient. This is why I maintain to all who have booked the Duster, there is not a single vehicle which can do this and still cruise at 150 Km/hr on the highway at this price.So consider before cancellation.

r.
I totaly agree with you. There is no vehicle around other than duster which can go offroad, and give good comfort at the speed that you mentioned, for that price.

I had gone on real bad terrain, on which many vehicles cannot climb. Duster took it with ease. Luckly it wasn't slushy, which could have caused trouble without 4wd. The main advantage is the ground clearence.

I have done 3,400 kms, and covered all kinds of roads. Now i have adapted to duster's gear shift ratio. My love for duster keeps increasing as days pass by.

When i bought the car, i was having a feeling if it was overpriced but now i have totally turned around and feel its worth and its value for money. I never feel that i am driving a car of 11lakhs and i always feel more upmarket. Features are perfect other than missing airbags, but i am happy that renault have added a new model 110 rxl(o), with airbag. Good for people who does not want to go for rxz.

Last edited by DRIVEN-TWEEL : 10th September 2012 at 10:20.
Old 10th September 2012, 13:14   #847
BHPian

Quote:
According to Renault Body shop personnel,duster uses a water based paint system. How much of compatibility this system has with conventional teflon coatings is not yet known. In fact I was about to go for teflon coating, but backed out as I dont want to experiment on my new paint job.

@ DRIVEN-TWEEL, as much as I am in love with the duster and it's ability, it is still overpriced compared to its pricing in all other parts of the world.

@P76, That has to be me on both counts. Dont think anybody will be going for bling alloys anytime soon. As much as I like them, it is the maintenance that is giving me a sore elbow and a painful back.If not for the "Gangsta" look I would have gone for something more sane.

@4 x 4 addict,it is just a matter of time before Renault come to their senses and launch the 4 x 4 option. Already they have launched the 110 RXL(o) to remove their monstrosity of the rear A/c. Soon, they will also launch the AWD option also,as scorpio has already launched its 4 x 4 option for even its base variant. The biggest advantage for Renault is that the technology is already there and the vendors are already identified for the export market.So all they need is an additional column on their price list and hey presto, you have a new variant. I've said this before and I'll say it again. Renault sure knows how to make their early bird customers feel .It happened with Logan before and it will happen even after Duster.
Old 10th September 2012, 13:19   #848
BHPian

After much debate and dilemma, I think I will have to buy the Renault Duster by default, as my first two choices - Cruze and Renault Fluence Petrol are not working out due to price and fuel type respectively :(.

Now I know before making this statement, it might upset a few and all Duster lovers please excuse me, but in my humble opinion - I think the Duster is a very over rated vehicle and is selling well due to the first movers advantage. I am not saying that it is a bad buy and in fact it does deliver all that it promises. But the problem is that promises so less. I was looking for a automatic car (Diesel) with features and the Cruze and Fluence were meeting most requirements.

Also considering the Verna CDRi AT has an endless waiting, I think the Duster will make a sensible short term buy. I have been reading the various threads here and have a fair bit of idea about the Duster. However I will request all to help me answer the following questions so as to enable me proceed with this car/suv:

1. I TD the Diesel 110 and found it to drive decently well with not much lag. However I thought the clutch was on the heavier side, specially for stop and go traffic. Various post suggest that the Diesel 85 is a better option for city driving (which will be 95% of my usage). Is the clutch of 85 any lighter and does it have more turbo lag as compare to the 110 ?

2. In the 85, I will miss out on the rear AC. Is the front AC of the Duster sufficient to battle the peak Delhi heat ? There was a post stating that the Duster's AC is not strong enough and the car does not get cooled enough ?

3. If I were to replace the factory fitted ICE with a better system with a touchscreen and navigation, will this disturb the factory settings (Bluetooth connectivity and the audio control system that is oddly placed behind the wheel) ? Also can anyone recommend a good make that fits in the original console of the Duster without requiring any cuttings etc. ? I saw a Duster equipped with a Kenwood screen on a social networking website but was unable to get any details on it.

4. Also there have been complaints that due to the absence of sound proofing and absence of rubber beading in the doors, there is a enough in cabin mechanical clatter specially on a broken road. This can be very annoying, and considering that with age the clatters will just increase, making it unbearable. Renault could have atleast been this sensitive and provided some rubber beadings and preferably pull open door handles AND an arm rest for the driver considering it a manual drive. I am so used to an arm rest on my City vtech and I am just worried of changing my driving posture in the absence of an arm rest.

5. Also considering that the only fun feature the Duster offers is the Bluetooth phone connectivity. Again I have been given to understand that connecting the phone and in particular receiving calls while driving requires too many buttons push ? Is that the case or doe the system allow you to receive and and make calls with a single button press and convenience ?

I hope my friends here can help answer a few of my queries/doubts and help my firm up my choice.

Thanks.
Old 10th September 2012, 14:24   #849
BHPian

Please find my replies in bold. Hope it helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by kch82 View Post

Now I know before making this statement, it might upset a few and all Duster lovers please excuse me, but in my humble opinion - I think the Duster is a very over rated vehicle and is selling well due to the first movers advantage.
Could not agree with you more on the price vs promise delivered. Iam a RXL 110 owner and I am not upset

However I will request all to help me answer the following questions so as to enable me proceed with this car/suv:
In our country where everything is fixated around mileage, AT does not have many takers. Sad but true

1. Is the clutch of 85 any lighter and does it have more turbo lag as compare to the 110 ? - Cannot comment as I have not driven the 85 PS

2. In the 85, I will miss out on the rear AC. Is the front AC of the Duster sufficient to battle the peak Delhi heat ? There was a post stating that the Duster's AC is not strong enough and the car does not get cooled enough ?
- As of now the cooling is sufficient. But I dont think cooling will be sufficient in summer. Who knows, by then Renault might design a roof mounted rear blower.

3. If I were to replace the factory fitted ICE with a better system with a touchscreen and navigation, will this disturb the factory settings (Bluetooth connectivity and the audio control system that is oddly placed behind the wheel) ? Also can anyone recommend a good make that fits in the original console of the Duster without requiring any cuttings etc. ?
According to the person in charge of accessories of chennai dealership, front outer console plate is available separately for a price of Rs.3000.The OE console outer plate is more curved than straight and hence after market ICE will not fit in.With the new console, you can fit in any 2-DIN player of your choice within standard dimensions of course.

4. Also there have been complaints that due to the absence of sound proofing and absence of rubber beading in the doors, there is a enough in cabin mechanical clatter specially on a broken road. This can be very annoying, and considering that with age the clatters will just increase, making it unbearable. Renault could have atleast been this sensitive and provided some rubber beadings and preferably pull open door handles AND an arm rest for the driver considering it a manual drive.
The only noise I heard was wind noise in speeds in excess of 100 km/hr. No mechanical clatter or rattling. As far as armrest is concerned,aftermarket fitment from e-bay is the only solution as of now.

5. Also considering that the only fun feature the Duster offers is the Bluetooth phone connectivity. Again I have been given to understand that connecting the phone and in particular receiving calls while driving requires too many buttons push ? Is that the case or doe the system allow you to receive and and make calls with a single button press and convenience ?
receiving calls can be done with the touch of a button on the steering mounted console. Making calls is cumbersome, until now at least. Maybe there is a easier way, but lost my radio manual and hence cant say for sure.
Old 10th September 2012, 14:33   #850
BHPian

Thanks Neil. Appreciate your prompt response. Your valuable inputs to points 2 (AC) & 5 (Bluetooth) really concern me. Because if the AC cannot do the trick in peak summers, then from a comfort standpoint the Duster does not offer much value in books atleast. I still feel that with the normal wear and tear the mechanical rattle will ultimately creep in the cabin. Also I heard the AC vents breaking down with moderate usage ?

I saw the universal arm rests on ebay. Considering the 1980's rear AC design occupying most most space in between the front seats , I doubt any of those arm rests will fit in.
Old 10th September 2012, 14:41   #851
BHPian

Quote:
Is that the case or doe the system allow you to receive and and make calls with a single button press and convenience
To add on to Niels comment- you can also dial the number using your phone (since dialing using the car system is cumbersome) and speak using the car Bluetooth
Old 10th September 2012, 15:37   #852
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Neil. Appreciate your prompt response. Your valuable inputs to points 2 (AC) & 5 (Bluetooth) really concern me.
Because if the AC cannot do the trick in peak summers, then from a comfort standpoint the Duster does not offer much value in books atleast.
This is very true. But the only counter point is if you want a Duster kind of stance (driving position and GC), then you should not be looking at sedans.
Clearly if you compare based on paper value, sedans at that price point would have much more to offer.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 16:25   #853
BHPian

Quote:
Because if the AC cannot do the trick in peak summers, then from a comfort standpoint the Duster does not offer much value in books atleast. I still feel that with the normal wear and tear the mechanical rattle will ultimately creep in the cabin. Also I heard the AC vents breaking down with moderate usage ?
In all fairness, the sun film ruling is the major culprit here. My previous ride, the Beat had excellent cooling, largely attributed to V-kool on front and sides. Now,AC cooling without the sun film in most of the cars/MUVs i've travelled is not sufficient.With rear cooling blowers, the cooling is sufficient.My RXL110 has only front blowers, hence I suspect ac cooling will be lacking in summer.
AC vents seem reasonably strong. However, the rear ac blower vent might break, but that is more due to it's awkward positioning than anything else. Did you know that the rear ac blower in the duster is not just a blower but has a thermosetting adjustment also?That will cool the duster pretty convincingly.Of course I really wish Renault will come up with roof mounted rear blower pretty soon.
Old 12th September 2012, 15:06   #854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitinz View Post
Hi

Took Delivery of my Gentle Beast Yesterday evening. Will upload some pics over the coming weekend. Yes it is indeed RXL 110 with option pack . It comes with alloys, Airbags, reverse sensors.

dealership experience was very very pathetic. Have driven it both in city and bit of highway and as expected turbo lag troubles in low RPM range but once it starts cruising , drive is awesome. Plastics hopefully should last ,but hand brake lever feels so clumsy.

As earlier stated on this thread , ride quality is amazing. The potholes, road bumps do not bother as much now , got to test Wipers in rain today , they did their Job just ok. Best part I like as of now is the view from front windshield.

Will try to put an ownership thread soon, hopefully!

Cheers
Many many congrats.Please upload some interiors & exterior pictures of 110 RXL+option pack.
About dealership experience.Please elaborate on this.
I have also booked my Duster with Renault Delhi West.
Old 12th September 2012, 15:47   #855
BHPian

From the pictures I've seen, and in vague memory of seeing the car on the roads in person, it does not look like the Duster has the light green tinted glass that comes with most cars these days?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks