Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2012, 10:51   #1051
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

My friend reversed his i10 slowly without noticing my Duster and a small Ding the Duster Bumper went inside and the right side fender was bent instantly. i10 had no marks of any damage. Then something very unusual happened the dent in the bumper released automatically. I was really worried about two things,
1) Whether the Bumpers will be able to withstand even slight impact?
2) The sheet metals used in the body is very flimy and the above question applies in the case of body sheet metal.

Sometimes when i am upset i forget taking pictures, i was having my camera with me ready for field trip but i didn't take a single piucture of the damage.
Old 2nd October 2012, 11:39   #1052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
That cladding doesn't look like a genuine Renault accessory. Another member had taken pictures of another Duster parked in the stock-yard with similar cladding, but definitely not the same. The 'Duster' font looks different on this one and the bumper-guard looks curvier too.

Those wheels look ungainly. I much rather prefer smaller-diameter wheels (wearing higher-profile & chunky / knobby tires) on a SUV like the Duster. Large wheels and low-profile tires don't look good on SUVs IMO.
Those are genuine Duster accessories.
See below screen shot form brazil website.
Regarding those tires. Those are impractical size for Duster,u cant use them on road, because it will scrape the sides.
They are put only for show off aka: bling factor.
Renault Duster : Official Review-duster-accessories.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
h.s.r - thanks for the pics. I know some people may disagree and this is purely my personal opinion with no offense meant to anyone, but this is the thing. The Duster cannot be made to look good; acceptable, maybe, but trying to make it look good is a futile effort. The wheel well claddings are ok, but the rest look overkill.

Its just quirky and weird. The design is not modern, it comes across as a practical workhouse so these kind of embellishments somehow seem like someone is trying too hard. Its like doing up your garden lawnmower.
I am looking for that design,but should be 16 inchers,these 20 inchers are not
meant for Duster,i wont put those shoes on Duster,until & unless i am a Rapstar

And one more thing those who booked before 31 Aug will get price protection.
Its confirmed from Renault.
See below screen shot.
Renault Duster : Official Review-booking.jpg
h.s.r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 12:14   #1053
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.s.r View Post
Those are genuine Duster accessories.
See below screen shot form brazil website.
Are you completely sure about that? Because I'm not.

Here are pictures of a Duster taken at the stock-yard at some dealership. Pictures posted somewhere in the middle of this thread.
Renault Duster : Official Review-07082012013.jpg
Renault Duster : Official Review-07082012014.jpg

And here are the pictures you'd posted.
Renault Duster : Official Review-28092012002.jpg
Renault Duster : Official Review-28092012004.jpg

If you look at the picture of the Duster on Renault's page, the same one that you'd posted, you'll see that it tallies with the brown Duster and not the red one.

The only other logical explanation is that Renault has two similar kits on offer.

Quote:
Regarding those tires. Those are impractical size for Duster,u cant use them on road, because it will scrape the sides.
They are put only for show off aka: bling factor.
I agree. Besides, why would you want to ruin the ride-quality? It's one of the Duster's stronger points.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd October 2012 at 12:18.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 13:07   #1054
BHPian

Quote:
Are you completely sure about that? Because I'm not.

If you look at the picture of the Duster on Renault's page, the same one that you'd posted, you'll see that it tallies with the brown Duster and not the red one.

The only other logical explanation is that Renault has two similar kits on offer.

I agree. Besides, why would you want to ruin the ride-quality? It's one of the Duster's stronger points.
I am only sharing information here.I was told by SA that these are genuine Renault Accessories & the cost is 35K.
There could be possibility that pictures posted on post # 494 are of TD vehicles which were imported & we have different types here in India, but that's only a possibility.
The only way of confirming is from someone who's got these accessories fitted on their Duster.
The only thing which raises suspicion IMO is Duster written on front guard, which do not look embossed.
What about Wheel cladding. Is it looking genuine or not?
I am awaiting delivery of my Duster.
If i plan to get those accessories,first thing i would do i will cross check whether these accessories are locally available or not & make sure i was not taken for ride by the dealer,by offering local made accessory instead of genuine one's
AFAIK there are no accessories available for Duster as of now except front & rear guards.
h.s.r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 13:23   #1055
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am only sharing information here.I was told by SA that these are genuine Renault Accessories & the cost is 35K.
Not disputing your word, Sir. I'm only disputing the authenticity of the accessories provided by Renault. I have a feeling they've got some local establishment to build accessories for the Duster specifically sold in India, coming to think of it.

Quote:
There could be possibility that pictures posted on post # 494 are of TD vehicles which were imported & we have different types here in India, but that's only a possibility.
Good point, but I highly doubt that. It isn't difficult to differentiate the Duster sold in India from the Dusters sold elsewhere. The one sold in Europe for example are badged Dacias while the ones sold as Renaults in Brazil have minor differences like the blackened out headlights.

Besides, if they were indeed imported and only for display, wouldn't they be LHD (left-hand-drive)?

Quote:
The only thing which raises suspicion IMO is Duster written on front guard, which do not look embossed.
Apart from the entire front bumper-guard + fog-lamp housing, the door cladding raises suspicion as well.

Quote:
What about Wheel cladding. Is it looking genuine or not?
Not sure about that. They look nearly identical and you'd be hard-pressed to point out the differences between the wheel-arch cladding.

Quote:
The only way of confirming is from someone who's got these accessories fitted on their Duster.
I am awaiting delivery of my Duster.
If i plan to get those accessories,first thing i would do i will cross check whether these accessories are locally available or not & make sure i was not taken for ride by the dealer,by offering local made accessory instead of genuine one's
You can conform it for us when you go to the Renault Dealership. Also, looking forward to reading an Initial Ownership Report on your Duster, and here's hoping that it will be moved to the Long-Term-Ownership Report section in time
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 14:17   #1056
BHPian

Quote:
And one more thing those who booked before 31 Aug will get price protection.
Its confirmed from Renault.
See below screen shot.
Hey HSR thanks for that very useful info! It would prevent Dealers from trying to apply unwanted pressures on chaps who had booked the car earlier.

Ideally the price protection should have come into effect for bookings wef 01 Oct. The end-Aug cut-off is surely going to lead to lot of sore and irate customers who had booked in September - and some cancellations without doubt.

@Suhaas and HSR - some really keen eyes you chaps have there! I guess that bit of hair-splitting is required and it all adds to the benefit of wannabe Duster purchasers on the Forum
Rigid Rotor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 01:16   #1057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
You want to transfer your booking to someone else or want someone else's booking transferred to you? No, there is no restriction unless there is some commercial benefit solicited.
I want to transfer mine.

RXL 85 (O) - Aug 29th Booking

Obviously its a price hike-protected one and delivery schedule by Oct end.
zen kobane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 09:42   #1058
BHPian

I got a call from Renault customer care yesterday regarding delivery date which they mentioned as February 2013 - 7 months from my booking date!!. I booked RXE woodland Brown on July 7th from Bangalore with estimated delivery date as Sept first week

But bad part is I raised this case with customer care regarding delivery date around August and getting a reply now and I already cancelled my Booking last week!!
Old 3rd October 2012, 10:23   #1059
BHPian

How did you fix the number plates? I'm not for drilling holes and I found the mounting provisions on the front nudge bar interesting.
Old 3rd October 2012, 10:51   #1060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen kobane View Post
I want to transfer mine.

RXL 85 (O) - Aug 29th Booking

Obviously its a price hike-protected one and delivery schedule by Oct end.
Does anyone in Bangalore want to transfer their booking
I am interested. I wonder if that is possible though.
Old 3rd October 2012, 11:13   #1061
BHPian

Quote:
Not disputing your word, Sir. I'm only disputing the authenticity of the accessories provided by Renault.

Also, looking forward to reading an Initial Ownership Report on your Duster, and here's hoping that it will be moved to the Long-Term-Ownership Report section in time
Frankly telling,when i visited the showroom, i was more concerned about the price hike and price protection,since 40k is pretty substantial amount,
ironically dealer had no idea about hike or price protection.
Regarding these accessories if they are locally made,then must be available outside dealership also.
The price protection has been confirmed from Renault, but i don't know how dealer would react to it.
I booked Duster on 8th July,i still don't have any clue,no call or confirmation on delivery from Renault India or dealer,that's kind of pissing me off.
This is the worst dealership experience i am encountering.
About that ownership,i am still in dilemma whether to go for Duster or not.
It is great vehicle,which ticks all boxes for me,but things like dealership experience and Renault attitude is discouraging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
Hey HSR thanks for that very useful info! It would prevent Dealers from trying to apply unwanted pressures on chaps who had booked the car earlier.

Ideally the price protection should have come into effect for bookings wef 01 Oct. The end-Aug cut-off is surely going to lead to lot of sore and irate customers who had booked in September - and some cancellations without doubt.

@Suhaas and HSR - some really keen eyes you chaps have there! I guess that bit of hair-splitting is required and it all adds to the benefit of wannabe Duster purchasers on the Forum
IMO price hike at this point in time is completely ridiculous,still no clue how dealer would react to the price hike thing.
Ideally price protection should be given till price hike was announced.
Keen eyes, i am sure every TBhpian has eye for detail,i think that's the whole purpose for this great forum.
Share & Gain knowledge.
Old 3rd October 2012, 15:15   #1062
BHPian

My take on the price hike.

Some 400 years ago, the french and the British came to our country, set up camp, showed us their way of life, advanced technology like guns etc, established themselves and finally ruled over us-all because their technology was more advanced - both in warfare and in relevant consumer products.All that we could give back/ they took back in return was cheap and loyal labor,spices and more importantly our vast horde of Gold, diamonds and other treasures.

Fast forward to late 2000s, Renault and Nissan come to our shores, set up camp, show us superiorly designed Cars, establish themselves using all our subsidies, tax waivers, power( When the general population in tamil nadu suffers from power break for minimum 3 hours) with the sole intention of making cars priced at unreasonable prices and make a mockery of the Indian public- price a VFM car like duster in the premium range.All this time they use our facilities to cater to their market too with sane pricing. They dare not claim such irrational pricing for the Europe market as that would make them lose their market share.So why do they do it with such audacity and still get away with it?

If only TATAs and Mahindras could launch vehicles which can offer handling and safety as a basic feature, I for one would have never bought the Duster. If Indian Automobile giants can acquire world class companies like Jaguar, what is stopping them from creating vehicles similar to Duster with regards to handling and comfort?I personally feel that the Indian mindset should evolve to the point where handling and comfort are mandatory. Look at all european/american cars.There are so many mandatory tests to ensure that minimum safety and handling related norms are maintained.

Sorry guys for this rant. I need to get this of my chest.Their original pricing itself was very opportunistic. This price revision smacks of arrogance and avarice.Makes the general automobile loving population feel helpless when it comes to buying good "phoren" cars at honest prices.
Neil Roy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 16:30   #1063

Went to Sariska Tiger Reserve yesterday, covered almost 400 kms. Few kms stretch were full of potholes and broken road. But the Duster performance was fantastic. Road presence was amazing, as people driving Fortuner were also interested in taking a glance at it. Got a mileage of 19.2 kmpl. What more i could have asked for
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-img00076201210022203.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-img00077201210022203.jpg  

jsing3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 16:55   #1064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
If only TATAs and Mahindras could launch vehicles which can offer handling and safety as a basic feature, I for one would have never bought the Duster. If Indian Automobile giants can acquire world class companies like Jaguar, what is stopping them from creating vehicles similar to Duster with regards to handling and comfort?I personally feel that the Indian mindset should evolve to the point where handling and comfort are mandatory. Look at all european/american cars.There are so many mandatory tests to ensure that minimum safety and handling related norms are maintained.
I totally Agree with you my Friend, but If only Tatas and Mahindras could launch!!!

One launched Quanto after so much delay and I am disappointed. And the other is forever procrastinating launch of Storme.

And why you just talk about Renault and Nissan ? what about the likes of Toyota which sells top end Innova at OTR 17+ in Karnataka. And takes the people for a ride by commanding a premium for a car like Liva

I am still waiting for that VFM SUV/MUV as an upgrade over my aging Swift(Petrol!!) and wait continues.
Old 3rd October 2012, 18:08   #1065
BHPian

My friend has canceled his duster booking because of the price hike and booked a XUV 5OO this morning .

Most Viewed