Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2013, 12:27   #2011
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Has anyone here faced problem during registration of the Duster? Usually, the registration is done by the dealer if you are residing in the same city. But in places where the dealer is not present, the vehicle owner himself has to get it registered. Yesterday, I went for the registration of my Duster in Hassan RTO. The Motor Vehicle Inspector came to verify the Chassis no and the Engine no. She took a look at the Chassis no and asked where the engine no was. I looked searched for it for sometime and then called the dealer to ask them where it was. Then the dealer told me that the front casing will have to be removed to see the engine no. The person also told me that it will have to be done by the dealer himself or if I can get hold of a local mechanic, he will advise him over the phone.

I informed the inspector about the situation, but she was unrelenting. She refused to validate the engine no mentioned in the invoice unless she saw it on the car. The RTO agent asked me to search if the engine no was mentioned anywhere else on the car. So, then I found a sticker where the VIN no and the Engine no was mentioned. I showed this to the inspector and after some persuasion by the agent, she finally validated the no.

Has anyone faced such a situation while registering their car (especially in non metro cities)? If the inspector was adamant on getting the Engine no impression, I would had to drive all the way back to Bangalore to get it done by the Renault service center or I should have risked getting it done by a local mechanic.
addyhemmige is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 14:18   #2012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
This is perfectly normal. I also was worried but then noticed that it is common. It shows that immobiliser is doing its job.
Thanks a lot acroback for the confirmation !

But I am still concerned about its affect on the battery. Have you noticed any effect on the battery if the Duster is left idle for a couple of days?

Here is our Duster resting.

Renault Duster : Official Review-img_4882b.jpg
desidino is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 18:12   #2013
BHPian

A woodland brown duster is for sale at manjeri in a used car outlet. If it is an owner going abroad case due to being a gulf belt, it might be a good deal.
Old 29th January 2013, 19:03   #2014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desidino View Post

But I am still concerned about its affect on the battery. Have you noticed any effect on the battery if the Duster is left idle for a couple of days?

Here is our Duster resting.
Many luxury cars (the accord comes to mind) does have a similar light like that blink in the dashboard every now and then. no big shakes me thinks.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 19:56   #2015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yes, it does tell upon the battery if left for a long time without usage. This is what I do if I'm going on a long vacation: lock the car manually with the key inserted into the fob on the driver door. That way it stays locked, although the alarm stays disabled.

If the alarm is enabled and you have the flashing light on the dash, the alarm system will warn with loud beeps if the battery is draining out.
swiftdiesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 11:48   #2016
Team-BHP Support

Whether you lock the Car from remote or from the key, the moment you take out the key from ignition, the immobilizer is activated. (This is why the immobilizer is present)

This is what I have been noticing. Is it different from Cars (manufacturers) to Cars (manufacturers)?

Last edited by Sheel : 30th January 2013 at 11:53.
Old 31st January 2013, 02:37   #2017
BHPian

It seems folks in the UK have recently been able to test drive India made Dusters with the new dash. Pics in the links below. The european versions they saw before had the old Dacia dashes.

http://www.daciaforum.co.uk/topic/89...-photos-taken/

A few interesting observations

1. No rear disk brakes - it seems some goof up in the specs sheet and brochures
2. The rear camera option comes with a distance indicator
3. First reports and folks seems reasonably happy with their purchases in terms of ride, comfort etc

Also some tech details on the engines posted on this forum. Ours will probably be one version behind, the UK K9K engines are an advanced version that have DPF and support ESP.

http://www.daciaforum.co.uk/topic/33...pecifications/

Last edited by raul : 31st January 2013 at 02:42.
Old 31st January 2013, 08:04   #2018
BHPian

What is the purpose of this bar as it has already got the skid plate? It lowers the GC & approach angle by a bit no. Is it available as a 3rd party accessory here?
Renault Duster : Official Review-p1030242.jpg
src
Old 31st January 2013, 09:10   #2019
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyX View Post
What is the purpose of this bar as it has already got the skid plate? It lowers the GC & approach angle by a bit no. Is it available as a 3rd party accessory here?
Attachment 1045429
src
This small front bar is known as a "Dog Bar" and its purpose is to prevent small animals from damaging the car. It is normally used in countries like Australia where there are a lot of wild animals on the roads. Not a very Humane approach though.
(Personally, I am not in favour of any bull bars/ dog bars)
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2013, 14:08   #2020
BHPian

Seems completely unnecessary, its looks to be a part of the curiously named 'styling pack'.

Imho these kind of accessories can make a simple slow speed accident into a dangerous life threatening one, imaging running into a pedestrian or dog with this. Not good.

http://www.dacia.co.uk/vehicles/duster/accessories/
Old 31st January 2013, 23:46   #2021
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post

Yes, it does tell upon the battery if left for a long time without usage. This is what I do if I'm going on a long vacation: lock the car manually with the key inserted into the fob on the driver door. That way it stays locked, although the alarm stays disabled.

If the alarm is enabled and you have the flashing light on the dash, the alarm system will warn with loud beeps if the battery is draining out.
We tried locking the doors physically with the key. But that light is still blinking. Wish there was a way to disable it. Would be bad if the car doesnt start after being idle for a few weeks.
Old 1st February 2013, 00:03   #2022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We tried locking the doors physically with the key. But that light is still blinking. Wish there was a way to disable it. Would be bad if the car doesnt start after being idle for a few weeks.
That's news to me! In my Ertiga, when I manually lock the alarm stays disabled. Probably your RASS should be able to help or try and find out the supplier of that security system. For MSIL cars it's usually Nippon Security System.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 00:08   #2023
BHPian

It seems they are using continental cross contact tyres in the UK. I wonder how our MRF Wanderes compare. Pics from daciaforum.co.uk. Link below

http://www.daciaforum.co.uk/topic/89...-photos-taken/

The fully loaded 4x4 version is 14995 pounds in the UK which is 12.60 lakhs and this includes the 17.5% UK VAT!

Given the current pricing the India 4X4 top end would be at least one lakh more so 15-15.5 lakhs!

Not only does that look ridiculously overpriced but its a whole 3 lakhs more than the UK, a country not known for low costs. Not good for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Review-p1030249.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Review-p1030248.jpg  

Last edited by raul : 1st February 2013 at 00:10.
Old 1st February 2013, 00:23   #2024
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What's the time that you are looking to be away. I have read reports of people keeping the car locked for atleast 2 weeks and having no problems.

If you are not comfortable, why don't you disconnect the battery? It should NOT be a problem right? Or worst case, you just need to buy a jumper cable, connect it to another car in your apartments and jump start it.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 09:23   #2025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

What's the time that you are looking to be away. I have read reports of people keeping the car locked for atleast 2 weeks and having no .
Well, I had kept my santro idle for 2 weeks and it re started with first self. Now I am going for leave for 2 weeks and am bit jittery about how Duster behaves.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks