Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2017, 10:15   #286
BANNED

Re: Mahindra Quanto : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
For those who still care about this car (or more specifically, the engine): I retained the car. The ODO is around 145k kms. Post 100k kms (warranty got over), I did face problems like intercooler malfunction, coolant leak, engine overheat, and I was definitely going to sell it off. However, financial constraints forced me to look for some alternative solution. I scouted HARD for good garages in my area, and decided to give the car one last shot.
Turns out, the problems I was facing were due to the incompetent work done by the service centre folks. They hadn't fit ANY parts properly, and there was some damage to external engine parts. Got the problems fixed, and the car has never given me trouble since.
The engine seems to be fine. As is always in this country, the service centres ruin most of the things. Lets see whether my bet to retain the car pays off, or I am definitely one big fool.
Thanks,
Simple_car
P.S. Apart from the frequent engine problems, there has been NO complaints. I mean it. NONE. Its still on its original clutch, and suspension. No rattles even.
Its good to hear one story about the Quanto with a happy ending! And your experience with the abysmal incompetence of the service centre staff is symptomatic of this company. I have been at the recieving end of M&M's service centre indifference so I know what you mean. And it is just the inherent great quality of the vehicle (Scorpio in my case) that has kept me in the M&M corner!
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 18:27   #287

Mahindra Quanto - turbocharger issues

My tale of woes with the Mahindra Quanto, says a lot about M&M service quality. There was a sequence of errors and omissions which led to extremely serious issues - I hope my post here helps someone who finds themselves in a similar situation.

I was the owner of a Mahindra Quanto from 2013 Feb, till July 2017. The Quanto served me well for 3 years, and that's when issues began to surface. I won't even mention the expensive clutch replacement (at 50,000 km), because this post deals with a much more serious issue. I began noticing the following telltale problems:

1. Sudden loss of engine power. It would automatically "set itself right" after a few minutes
2. Whistling and whining noises from the engine while accelerating
3. Excessive smoke from the exhaust - white smoke
4. The "engine check lamp" used to come on frequently

These are classic turbocharger issues, and the sign of an impending catastrophe. However, even after several trips to the service center (Sireesh Auto), over the course of several months, they didn't diagnose the issue accurately as a Turbo problem. I was always told that there were some "minor adjustments" which they did, but I would be back with the same issues soon.

I am a frequent highway driver, and one one such trip, there was a sustained loss of power for a very long time, on the Hassan - Chikmagaluru road. The engine check lamp was also ON for an extended period of time. I stopped the vehicle almost immediately and tried calling Mahindra road side assistance. A lady picked up the phone in Gurgaon and asked me to wait for assistance and not drive the car with the check lamp on. 20 minutes, 30 minutes, 40 minutes - and absolutely no help was forthcoming. When I started the car, the check lamp had magically gone off. I drove into Hassan, to the Mahindra service center. Absolutely no follow-up or callback from the roadside assistance folk. In the service center here, they again did not accurately diagnose the issue, but just got rid of the check lamp and assured me that it was safe to drive. I drove into the hills, and back to Bangalore without further incident.

On the fateful day, I was doing my usual Bangalore-Mumbai trip. The vehicle had just been serviced in Sireesh Auto two days ago. After an overnight halt at Davangere, the next morning's drive was marked by constant loss of power. The engine check lamp came on near Belgaum, and soon the oil indicator too. I realized that there was something dreadfully wrong here. The oil indicator lamp kept going on and off, and I just about managed to take it to the nearest service center (Sutaria Auto Parts, Udyambagh, Belgaum). Yeah I know, I know - I shouldn't have driven till there, but given my previous experience with Mahindra roadside assistance, and given the fact that Sireesh Auto had always brushed away the engine check lamp as "unimportant" (for more than one year), I figured I was better off getting the vehicle to the service center at least.

There, I was informed of the worst - my turbocharger had given way. There was no way I would be able to take the vehicle any further. What was worse, the Turbocharger is an EXPENSIVE part - upwards of Rs. 75000, I was told. Well, there was nothing for it but to leave my car there, for them to confirm their diagnosis, and proceed to Mumbai by alternate means of transport. Now, over the next few days I was told that the delivery time for a new Turbo was more than 15 days. Whats worse, they said that they would typically need to do an engine overhauling and check if there was a deeper issue. All in all, nearly a month's work.

Well, there was no way I could have left the vehicle in Belgaum. I arranged for it to be towed back to Bangalore, with me tagging along in the tow truck. Bill: Rs. 25,000 towing + Rs. 2500 (Belgaum service center). Got the Quanto deposited in Sireesh Auto. There, they ordered for a turbo, and in nearly a month's time, returned the car to me. Bill: Rs. 78,000.

So, after being poorer by nearly Rs. 1 lakh+, I was hoping to use the vehicle for at least 25000 km more. No such luck. I made one trip to Chennai and back, and I began hearing knocking sounds from the engine, and a terrible smell from the AC vents. The last straw was when I noticed white smoke coming from the AC vents. I gave the vehicle back to Sireesh Auto, where they told me that an engine overhauling would be required, which would leave me poorer by Rs. 1.5 lakh.

I did what any sane person would do. I took my vehicle to cars24.com, where I had to sell it at a massively discounted price. Coupled with the fact that the Quanto commands a low resale value, and the fact that there was a problem in the engine anyway, there was no way I could have expected a good price.

To add insult to injury, Mahindra (Sireesh Auto) offered me a measly Rs. 1.7 lakh for the car.

So, let's back up for a moment:

1. Telltale signs pointing to serious deterioration in the turbocharger were pointed out time and again to Sireesh Auto. Not only was the issue not resolved on time, they failed to detect it and diagnose the issue accurately.
2. Mahindra roadside assistance was a thorough and total disappointment.
3. The vehicle gave up on me bang in the middle of the journey from Bangalore to Mumbai.
4. I had to spend a total of Rs. 1,15,000 to get the vehicle back in shape.
5. In less than 2 weeks, there were more serious problems, and the vehicle had to be sold for practically scrap value (if you factor in the amount already spent on the turbo repair).

A highly disappointing and unfortunate series of experiences with M&M. It is at times like this, that I understand why experts advise one to go for a Toyota or a VW. Reliability of the vehicle (especially the engine) is just incomparable.
Bangalorean is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 19:33   #288
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Quanto - turbocharger issues

I feel sorry for the ordeal you have gone through!
Could you quote the Odo readings when the Turbo problem first appeared and when the turbo finally gave away?

After the white smoke problem appeared, did you get the Engine checked & opened by any competent mechanic?

Did Sireesh Auto open the engine to confirm what needed overhauling?
Old 7th August 2017, 21:23   #289
BHPian

Thanks for explaining the situation. As a Quanto owner, it is scary to note that a 50k driven vehicle had so many problems - considering the bullet proof reliability of the other Mahindra engines.

Were the Mahindra guys not able to diagnose even from the on board computer or did they just clear the codes hoping that it would not appear again? This is a dangerous trend I have seen not only with Mahindra but others too leading to expensive failures later.
deep_bang is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 21:28   #290
Senior - BHPian

Did you not have extended warranty? All these could have been covered through that one right?

This is a series of issues with a car, which never really took off, probably that was also a cause for the service center being careless?
Old 8th August 2017, 07:57   #291
ike
BHPian

Did you by any chance try other service centers? I understand from your post that Sireesh have been very lousy. Is this the only ASS in the area?
Old 8th August 2017, 15:44   #292

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
I feel sorry for the ordeal you have gone through!
Could you quote the Odo readings when the Turbo problem first appeared and when the turbo finally gave away?

After the white smoke problem appeared, did you get the Engine checked & opened by any competent mechanic?

Did Sireesh Auto open the engine to confirm what needed overhauling?
The odo reading when I first began noticing loss of power was around 45K approx. When it finally went Kaput, it was around 78K.

In the interim, I did show the vehicle to Sireesh auto multiple times, each time I took the vehicle for servicing. The issue was just not diagnosed correctly I feel.

Sireesh Auto hasn't opened the engine till date. They told me the latest time that the engine would need overhauling, and they they'd need to open it up and check. Of course, having spent more than a lakh already, I was in no mood to do that.
Old 8th August 2017, 15:48   #293

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Thanks for explaining the situation. As a Quanto owner, it is scary to note that a 50k driven vehicle had so many problems - considering the bullet proof reliability of the other Mahindra engines.

Were the Mahindra guys not able to diagnose even from the on board computer or did they just clear the codes hoping that it would not appear again? This is a dangerous trend I have seen not only with Mahindra but others too leading to expensive failures later.
The problems began at around 45 - 50K, and reached a head at around 78K.

I am pretty sure they just cleared the code. The engine check lamp would turn off after they were done with their servicing, and then it would promptly come back on after a few days of driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Did you not have extended warranty? All these could have been covered through that one right?

This is a series of issues with a car, which never really took off, probably that was also a cause for the service center being careless?
I had a 3 year extended warranty, and I began facing issues at around month 30. Of course I rushed the vehicle to Sireesh Auto, but they always pacified me by saying that they've done this or that, and that the issue would not recur.

I would have claimed extended warranty (Turbo replacement) only if I had been informed clearly that these are the signs of a turbo on the verge of a major breakdown. They didn't (or couldn't) diagnose it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
Did you by any chance try other service centers? I understand from your post that Sireesh have been very lousy. Is this the only ASS in the area?
Unfortunately no, I didn't try any other.
Old 13th August 2017, 08:40   #294
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangalorean View Post
My tale of woes with the Mahindra Quanto, says a lot about M&M service quality........A highly disappointing and unfortunate series of experiences with M&M. It is at times like this, that I understand why experts advise one to go for a Toyota or a VW. Reliability of the vehicle (especially the engine) is just incomparable.
I sympathize with you completely Bangalorean. I have had a very narrow escape a while back with my 2004 Scorpio (non-crde) which we love dearly. The T/charger core on our Scorpio had to be renewed (my post #4300 in the Scorpio:issues & solutions gives a brief synopsis of the job) and this was done with no help or support from M&M's authorized service centre. I strongly feel that (M&M vehicles certainly) should be kept far away from their authorized service centres the moment their warranty expires - they are nothing but a bunch of hustlers & scoundrels.

It was heartening to read Simple_car's happy experience at the FNG's hands and i just wish you had had a similar experience!

Last edited by shashanka : 13th August 2017 at 08:43.
shashanka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 21:36   #295

I had something similar experience with M&M service center. My quanto ( 4yr old 20k kms driven) engine bay started giving mild whistling sound few months back. Its not continuous and comes and go while driving. Shown it to sahyadri service center pune (swargate). They send me back saying such small noise issue is very common with three cylinder engines and can be ignored. They asked me to come back only when i will start facing issue while driving .
I was also kind of ignoring it as its not my primary car for travel but this new discussion on this thread has alerted me. Any suggestion guys ? I am not hopeful with sahyadri service center
Old 15th August 2017, 18:58   #296
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapan.turkar View Post
I had something similar experience with M&M service center. My quanto ( 4yr old 20k kms driven) engine bay started giving mild whistling sound few months back. Its not continuous and comes and go while driving. Shown it to sahyadri service center pune (swargate). They send me back saying such small noise issue is very common with three cylinder engines and can be ignored. They asked me to come back only when i will start facing issue while driving .
I was also kind of ignoring it as its not my primary car for travel but this new discussion on this thread has alerted me. Any suggestion guys ? I am not hopeful with sahyadri service center
Hello Sapan,
I'd suggest you gently start escalating the issue. Write to M&M's customer care. I wrote to them (on behalf of a forum friend), not expecting any acknowledgement or reply. But to my surprise I received a prompt reply. I'm attaching both my letter as well as M&M customer care's reply. I'm not sure if it will solve your issue but there's no harm in trying.

Cheers,
Shashanka

Shashanka Choudhury
to: customercare@mahindra.com
date: Sun, Aug 13, 2017 at 12:38 PM
subject: Engine does not shut down after switching off ignition at altitudes above 2000 meters.
Hello,
The above problem is occurring in my friend's 2003 model Scorpio when travelling at above 2000 m altitude (in Uttaranchal). When the vehicle returns to the plains, the problem disappears & and the engine stops normally on switching off the ignition.
Would be grateful for advice / suggestion in solving issue.
Regards,
Shashanka Choudhury

CUSTOMERCARE
8:18 AM (5 hours ago)

to me
Dear Sir,
Thank you for writing to us.
We request you to kindly provide us your Contact Number, Vehicle Registration No and Dealer Details.
Looking forward to hear from you.
Thanks & Regards,
Mayuresh Walanju
Customer Care-Automotive Division
Reach us at:
cid:image001.jpg@01D1FC9E.EDBEC5B0@18002096006
cid:image002.jpg@01D2C034.2252CD90 customercare@mahindra.com
Old 2nd December 2017, 16:40   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Its good to hear one story about the Quanto with a happy ending! And your experience with the abysmal incompetence of the service centre staff is symptomatic of this company. I have been at the recieving end of M&M's service centre indifference so I know what you mean. And it is just the inherent great quality of the vehicle (Scorpio in my case) that has kept me in the M&M corner!
Quote:
Lets see whether my bet to retain the car pays off, or I am definitely one big fool.
Sad to report that I lost the bet

170k kms down and the real engine troubles have started. Turbo failure, injector failure, some other things which I haven't even bothered to give a damn.

Car is sold as scrap value. I have another quanto with me (it has the updated engine and drivetrain changes), run for 70k kms.. and guess what, even this one has started giving troubles.

I would advise people to be a little wary of this engine. This has come to us at a very painful time, and I have no respect for any Indian car manufacturer any more. The way they take us for granted is a thing to be experienced. And I am talking about one of their most loyal customers!

Signing off from this thread with a very heavy and angry heart

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2017, 19:11   #298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The odo reading when I first began noticing loss of power was around 45K approx. When it finally went Kaput, it was around 78K.
Bangalorean - You should have mailed M&M customer care and involved the senior service folks. Its been almost 2 years with my TUV and I realized very early that M&M service folks dont know much. Only the senior service manages tends to have some knowledge of parts and diagnosis and hence the 1st thing I do when I have a problem is give him a call. In the past I had to resort to writing to the regional service manager but now because of the rapport with the Senior service folks, most issue get resolved at MASS.

Given the symptoms and your warranty expiry timeline, you should have escalated matters to M&M regional service folks.

Quote:
I have another quanto with me (it has the updated engine and drivetrain changes), run for 70k kms.. and guess what, even this one has started giving troubles.
A little apprehensive after reading that even the new 1.5 mHawk Quanto has problems after 70k KMs. In the TUV India watsapp group, there are folks who have done 80k/100k kms in their TUV and have had no issues with the same except for the usual resonator/modulator issues. Can you please elaborate a little on the troubles that your are facing - will help TUV owners to try and stay on top of it.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2018, 13:59   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post

Hi deep_bang, How is your Quanto doing? Any updates? Mine is touching 37k now.
Old 24th January 2019, 12:29   #300

Quote:

I was the owner of a Mahindra Quanto from 2013 Feb, till July 2017. The Quanto served me well for 3 years, and that's when issues began to surface. I won't even mention the expensive clutch replacement (at 50,000 km), because this post deals with a much more serious issue.
Can you please share how much it cost for clutch replacement? For my quanto , in regular servicing, the service centre asked for 18k. My Km are only 28K but all in heavy traffic.

Most Viewed