Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2015, 18:29   #271
BANNED

Re: Mahindra Quanto : Official Review

Great review, GTO, as always - and I for one am happy that credit has been given where due : twin-scroll turbo charging is not everybody's cup off tea and full kudos to the boffins at Mahindra for doing such a great job of drivability and nimbleness. Also, as you mentioned yourself, converting a 4-in-line unit to a 3-pot successfully - maintaining NVH levels & tackling unbalanced c/shaft forces without resorting to exotica like balancer shafts - has also not been attempted by others, and so full marks to Mahindra again.

As a die hard nationalist and retired marine engineer to boot, it does my heart good to see at least one Indian set-up having such deep R & D resources !
And so what if the lipstick and make-up is not up to the current show-stopper standards ! Ertiga and Duster... aaaargh! Give me durability and robustness any day over prima donna cuteness !
Old 13th March 2015, 20:48   #272
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
Mahindra is clearly barking up the wrong tree here.

The Quanto was a dud and will remain so even after the addition of the AMT. Mahindra has to redesign the awkward proportions of the Quanto. They are better off spending the R&D money on the aesthetics rather than this AMT exercise.

If the Mahindra market research team have been doing their job right, they would have surely concluded that the most obvious reason for the failure of the Quanto are the ugly looks. Then why respond with this AMT jazz instead?!
Dud?... Jazz?... Dear chap, this is not a discussion on disco equipment you know. And neither is R&D money needed for aesthetics - Mahindra has managed very well I should say, using only 100 crores from their kitty in bringing out the Quanto.
Old 13th March 2015, 22:01   #273
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
Well, at least to me it has been a surprise. Apart from the initial hiccup, I am overall happy with the car...but it could be that its still under a year old.
My car has crossed 40k kms now and as of now things seem to be smooth ( and I do tend to abuse my cars a lot more).

Quanto is still a young vehicle. I would wait for a couple of years before saying it's rugged enough.

That said the service centers are relatively happier with the quanto too.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Hello Simple_car, I'd have thought 40k in under a year was great going, and you still have doubts about the ruggedness?

I'm using the Scorpio (The original non-CRD engine) for over a decade now with an average of at least one trip from Lucknow to the Uttaranchal hills & back, every year, mostly Naukuchiatal. We usually spend a week or so gadding about the place before returning to Lucknow. I wont talk about the odo distance since it would be silly to compare, but apart from the proverbial flat tire, the vehicle has been more or less bullet proof. Other owners have reported similar experiences. In fact I now have enough respect for M&M & their in-house R&D resources to recommend their vehicles to my friends too!

I sincerely hope you wont have reason - in the times to come - to doubt the robustness /durability of the Quanto.

Thumbs-up,
Shashanka
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 04:49   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post

I sincerely hope you wont have reason - in the times to come - to doubt the robustness /durability of the Quanto.

Thumbs-up,
Shashanka
I have never doubted the ruggedness of Mahindra products. My car is just under 95k kms old now, and has aged very well. What however is prompting me to sell it off after the 100,000 kms mark is because I am facing constant problems with the intercooler and although Mahindra has never denied me warranty replacement, but neither has it given me a permanent solution to the problem.

I require my car almost every day, and I do not appreciate frequent visits to the service centre. Perhaps the problem may be with my particular car.. but I will be selling it off anyways after some time. I am fed up with Mahindra using me as a guinea pig (which I allowed for quite some time), and I most certainly do not appreciate their reluctance to give me (a loyal customer who has bought 4 Mahindras) a permanent solution.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2015, 11:24   #275
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
I have never doubted the ruggedness of Mahindra products. My car is just under 95k kms old now...... reluctance to give me (a loyal customer who has bought 4 Mahindras) a permanent solution.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Hello Simple_car,

I am really sorry to hear of your plight - and I fully sympathize with your views. Intercooler issues are typical in t/charged engines under development, but I am surprised at M&M's (or maybe the dealer's) reluctance to tackle the problem. Two of my friends have been using their Quantos without engine niggles - their issues are the usual fare - electrical and other minor issues. Nothing as serious as yours.
I would say you are justified in your decision, tho' having used Mahindra vehicles for so long, I hope you won't be changing loyalties soon.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 14:56   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Hello Simple_car,

I am really sorry to hear of your plight - and I fully sympathize with your views. Intercooler issues are typical in t/charged engines under development, but I am surprised at M&M's (or maybe the dealer's) reluctance to tackle the problem. Two of my friends have been using their Quantos without engine niggles - their issues are the usual fare - electrical and other minor issues. Nothing as serious as yours.
I would say you are justified in your decision, tho' having used Mahindra vehicles for so long, I hope you won't be changing loyalties soon.
I have no problems with the product, personally. Just that I don't have the time, nor the patience to deal with problems currently.

The only reason for me to stick to Mahindra at the moment is their pricing compared to competition.

I still do suggest Mahindra cars to people.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 29th August 2015, 10:53   #277

Re: Mahindra Quanto : and now TUV300

I had written a post about a year ago stating some issues with the Quanto Engine at lower rpms.
Now they seem to be launching another vehicle TUV300 with the same engine?????

Regards,
Vijayanand
Old 31st August 2016, 13:03   #278
BHPian

There is a issue with my Quanto C6. The Check Engine warning glows frequently. The problem started some time back, and the service centre replaced parts everytime I went with this problem.

First Time - Changed Intercooler & EGR, saying there is a leak - Total Cost Rs. 13044

Second Time - Replaced Vaccum Modulator & Vaccum Hose - Total Cost Rs. 3011

Third Time - Replaced Filter cartridge and FEO - Cost Rs. 850

Fourth Time - Replaced Vaccum Modulator again, Brake Switch (saying check engine can come if brake switch is not proper and the power will be reduced, also said battery is weak and of 9V power is not given to sensors, all sensors will fail) - Total cost Rs. 3518

Fifth Time - Complained to Mahindra and the ASS took the vehicle and kept kept it with them for 5 days and said thorough diagnosis on the issue was done and they need to replace battery. Replaced the battery but it did not solve the problem. Later called me and said they found out the issue and the issue is with the Turbo and I need to replace turbo which costs Rs. 62000. I asked them how would I trust them from my past experience, if the Engine check lamp warning come again after replacement of Turbo, would they ask me to replace the Engine and Gear Box.

Replaced Battery, Element Air Filter, done 70000 Km service. - Total Cost Rs. 12750.

Now planning to show the vehicle at a trusted Mahindra workshop in my hometown - not ASS. Then will decide on the action plan.

Is there anybody who faced issues with Turbo. Is the turbo repairable, instead of replacement?
Old 31st August 2016, 14:08   #279
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudevarkey View Post

Is there anybody who faced issues with Turbo. Is the turbo repairable, instead of replacement?
My 'request': sell off this white elephant and buy something different, even if the new vehicle will cater to only 75% of your needs. Used / new Brezza or Ecosport?
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 14:56   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
Mahindra is clearly barking up the wrong tree here.

The Quanto was a dud and will remain so even after the addition of the AMT. Mahindra has to redesign the awkward proportions of the Quanto. They are better off spending the R&D money on the aesthetics rather than this AMT exercise.

If the Mahindra market research team have been doing their job right, they would have surely concluded that the most obvious reason for the failure of the Quanto are the ugly looks. Then why respond with this AMT jazz instead?!

Does it not make sense to test the engine and AMT combo on a 'dud' sales vehicle, iron out its inadequacies and then put it into say the TUV? You may offend less paying customers and ensure that all bugs are ironed out. I am not sure if that is Mahindra's strategy though.
Old 1st September 2016, 18:02   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
My 'request': sell off this white elephant and buy something different, even if the new vehicle will cater to only 75% of your needs. Used / new Brezza or Ecosport?
Thanks romeomidhun. Yes I am also thinking along the same lines - Brezza or EcoSport. I am a bit inclined to Brezza as I cannot digest the shape of EcoSport.

Regarding the dip in power - I had a chat with a person dealing with Aftermarket Turbos and he is saying problem might not be with Turbo as I do not face issues with pick up / power on short trips. The Check Engine Light usually comes when driving aggressively around 50 kms and when the light comes, the power dips. Anyways I will give the vehicle at the local garage and check as I don't want to sell the vehicle in this condition.
Old 1st September 2016, 18:41   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudevarkey View Post
Thanks romeomidhun. Yes I am also thinking along the same lines - Brezza or EcoSport. I am a bit inclined to Brezza as I cannot digest the shape of EcoSport.

Regarding the dip in power - I had a chat with a person dealing with Aftermarket Turbos and he is saying problem might not be with Turbo as I do not face issues with pick up / power on short trips. The Check Engine Light usually comes when driving aggressively around 50 kms and when the light comes, the power dips. Anyways I will give the vehicle at the local garage and check as I don't want to sell the vehicle in this condition.
I had the same issue in my Tata Safari Dicor 3.0, later found out that the MAF Sensor was the culprit, whenever I drove aggressively i.e. taking the rpm above 2.5K the check engine light would come on and the power would drop. The power drop is due to ECU going into limp mode when the check engine light comes on, it is a safety feature to further prevent any damage to engine due to faulty sensor/parts. Please get the Mass Air flow (MAF) sensor checked.
mercedised is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2016, 18:46   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Please get the Mass Air flow (MAF) sensor checked.
Thank You mercedised, yes will check MAF sensor.
Old 12th September 2016, 11:46   #284
BHPian

This post is on behalf of my friend who owns a Quanto.

After a short spin I turned off the engine and I heard a noise similar to 'booooooooooommmmm' or probably a whining noise for about 2-3seconds from the engine bay towards driver's side. The same noise comes on again when I fired the engine.

FYI - The car was sent to Mahindra for poor A/C functioning a week ago. The car has done about 2500kms+ in the last 4days on highways and he says he did not find any issues with the car and that this noise is very familiar.

I haven't heard this noise in his car in the past and am intending to take it to Tirumala for about 3days.

Any ideas guys?
Old 11th July 2017, 20:52   #285
BHPian

For those who still care about this car (or more specifically, the engine): I retained the car. The ODO is around 145k kms. Post 100k kms (warranty got over), I did face problems like intercooler malfunction, coolant leak, engine overheat, and I was definitely going to sell it off. However, financial constraints forced me to look for some alternative solution. I scouted HARD for good garages in my area, and decided to give the car one last shot.

Turns out, the problems I was facing were due to the incompetent work done by the service centre folks. They hadn't fit ANY parts properly, and there was some damage to external engine parts. Got the problems fixed, and the car has never given me trouble since.

The engine seems to be fine. As is always in this country, the service centres ruin most of the things. Lets see whether my bet to retain the car pays off, or I am definitely one big fool.

Thanks,
Simple_car

P.S. Apart from the frequent engine problems, there has been NO complaints. I mean it. NONE. Its still on its original clutch, and suspension. No rattles even.
Simple_car is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks