Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2013, 16:29   #1681
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

My 2 cents;

With this pricing Ford has ensured that it gets a share out of various segments and targets a varied audience. Users of premium hatchbacks selling between 6 to 10L like Polo, i20, Swift, etc; C segment sedans ranging from the Dzires and Amaze to the Ventos, Rapids and Citys and finally people opting for a Duster will all be finding the Ecosport a better value product.

A dealer known to me was telling me yesterday that he is going to have a tough time selling the Figo now as there is hardly any difference in the price of the base Figo and base Ecosport. He also mentioned that Ford has allocated only 75 cars per month per dealer to start with and gradually increase it to 100 cars, so expect longer waiting periods for sure.

As per me the Duster will still be able to hold its fort to an extent because for someone who needs to be chauffeur driven and needs more room would still prefer the duster. The ride quality of the duster is also way better than the Ecosport. However i am sincerely hoping that the Ecosport ensures its R.I.P. time for the Mahindra Quanto, and i cannot thank Ford enough for it. Mahindras designers deserve to be thrashed for coming out with something like a Quanto. Just proves my point that its the Indian manufacturers that take us consumers for granted more than any international manufacturer in India.

Its great that at least some manufacturer is thinking straight now and understanding the consumers mindset rather than playing around. Ford has learnt there lesson after the terrible pricing of the Fiesta. Kudos to Ford India and just for that i have booked a 1.5 diesel titanium (O) yesterday

VVB
Old 27th June 2013, 16:33   #1682
Senior - BHPian

I had mailed the Ford MD about this compulsory insurance and accessories fiasco. Received an email today and i cant understand what to make out of it, seems as if they are supporting their dealers in this act, havent yet received a call from the dealership regarding yesterday's poor response from them.

"Thank you for contacting Ford India. Greetings from our President.

We wish to inform you through this mail is that Ford dealerships around the country have started accepting bookings to meet enthusiastic demand of the Eco Sport. Our dealers are accepting booking with a deposit amount of INR 50,000 & and the insurance & accessories quoted are given to understand by our dealership are purely our valuable customers choice/option only. We had instructed our dealership to extend the required assistance/clarifications in detail to your kind self in this regard required if any"

No clear answer received but the dealers would make hay till the sun shines, i booked at Harpreet, Moti nagar and agreed for the insurance through them but made it clear that i wont opt for any teflon/accessory package, not that they have any 50k accessory package like Astro Ford.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 16:40   #1683
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
I had mailed the Ford MD about this compulsory insurance and accessories fiasco. Received an email today and i cant understand what to make out of it, seems as if they are supporting their dealers in this act, havent yet received a call from the dealership regarding yesterday's poor response from them.

We wish to inform you through this mail is that Ford dealerships around the country have started accepting bookings to meet enthusiastic demand of the Eco Sport. Our dealers are accepting booking with a deposit amount of INR 50,000 & and the insurance & accessories quoted are given to understand by our dealership are purely our valuable customers choice/option only. We had instructed our dealership to extend the required assistance/clarifications in detail to your kind self in this regard required if any"

No clear answer received but the dealers would make hay till the sun shines, i booked at Harpreet, Moti nagar and agreed for the insurance through them but made it clear that i wont opt for any teflon/accessory package, not that they have any 50k accessory package like Astro Ford.
What they mean is that they have instructed their dealers to provide the customers with an option of assisting them in getting Insurance, Registration, Accessories etc. since it may be hassle for some to get it done elsewhere.
But they have mentioned in the E-mail that it is an option only. So it is not mandatory.

Last edited by agambhandari : 27th June 2013 at 17:00. Reason: typo
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 16:40   #1684
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post

I had reported your case and a few other dealer malpractices on the customer care mail ID. Have received a complaint tracking # and a generic worded email. Lets see. Maybe Ford will take notice eventually.
Mik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 16:43   #1685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelocity View Post
How was the vehicle?? were you able drive in the city traffic?? is there too much lag in the traffic?
Thanks in Advance.
I drove it in city traffic. The city drive-ability is just ok and can be managed with proper use of gears. It is fun to drive post 2000 rpm when the turbo kicks in. The detailed impressions are in this post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3160571
Old 27th June 2013, 16:44   #1686
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Eco Sport- A game changer for Ford and Competitors

The AT box in the EcoSport is the Powershift which is Ford's version of the DSG with a fairly decent reliability record. The AT box in the EcoSport comes with 6-Speed tiptronic. Its comparable in every sense!

The reliability of the DQ200 in the Polo GT is no secret either. Simply ask VW for warranty on the gearbox in the Polo GT, you will know how much they trust that autobox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Polo GT TSI is an AT (w/DSG , a marvel) and not a comparison here. Am not sure anyone as yet TD'ed a Eco Sport AT.

Cheers!

Last edited by anachronix : 27th June 2013 at 16:57.
Old 27th June 2013, 16:47   #1687
BHPian

I bought my Endy from Metro Ford - found them to be professional, no complaints....

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmatic View Post
Guys, this urgent, need your recommendations amongst these three Ford dealers in Bangalore - Lathangi Ford vs Cauvery Ford vs Metro Ford.

Which one do you recommend ?
indusboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 16:47   #1688
BHPian

Have a look at this quote from Elite Ford, Bangalore.
Elite Edition (Rs25000/-)==> one arrogant salesperson defined it as "Forced accessories". He didnt even know what accessories are provided for this vehicle.
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-scan0001.jpg
sansvk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 16:52   #1689
BHPian

Re: The Eco Sport- A game changer for Ford and Competitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
The AT box in the EcoSport is the Powershift which is Ford's version of the DSG with a fairly decent reliability record. The AT box in the EcoSport comes with 6-Speed tiptronic. Its comparable in every sense!
The reliability of the DQ200 in the Polo GT is no secret either!
When Ford Launched the same 6 speed Dual Clutch AT box on the Fiesta, they had some 2 lac kms warranty or something like that. Which essentially meant that for the entire life of car "NO MAINTENANCE" required for their AT Box.

Kindly refer to the Ford Fiesta AT thread for more details.

Cheers
MKP
mkpiyengar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 16:52   #1690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiagust View Post
I'm not sure if anyone has posted the OTR prices in Chennai. This is what I got as a message from mpl Ford

EcoSport On-Road(chennai), Details

1.5 (P) ambiente 6.80L
1.5 (P) Trend 7.85L
1.5 (P) tit 9.02 L
1.5 (P) tit AT 10.11 L
1.0 (P) ecoboost tit 9.46L
1.0 (P) ecoboost tit (o) 9.91 L
1.5 (D) ambiente 8.12L
1.5 (D) trend 9.18 L
1.5 (D) tit 10.35 L
1.5 (D) tit (o) 10.79 L

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3161606

Even cost break up is available in this link. Thanks.
Old 27th June 2013, 16:56   #1691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
...since my other options are Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI (automatic) and Hyundai i20 automatic. Any other car suggestions in this compact, automatic transmission, safe and reliable, preferably petrol (dislike the vibration and noise of the diesels) car bracket? 4 to 6 months may be too long to phase out one of our old cars.
You might want to look at the Amaze AT. It is a very competent vehicle.
Old 27th June 2013, 17:13   #1692
BHPian

Hello Everyone! After managing to fight long queues of people in the Ford Showroom, I was finally able to get a glimpse of the stunning Ecosport. It looks really good in flesh and I was able to click a few pictures of the Ambiente Variant (1.5D) which is the base variant of Ecosport and is loaded with features I didn't expect on a model this side of 10 lakhs (Earlier was going to buy Swift VDi). Ford definitely has a winner in their hands and when I went there, many customers were present there to take delivery of their Ecosports which they had booked 4 months ago! Kindly excuse for the picture quality since I didn't carry my SLR along and all I had was my IPhone 4:

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img_09801.jpg

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img_09811.jpg

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img_09821.jpg

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img_09831.jpg

One major query I have is that when I went to book the Ambiente variant of the Ecosport, they asked me to plonk in another 30,000 (Excluding the on-road price, Amritsar) for the optional and compulsary accessories. Although I've booked the Ambiente variant but still they said t'was mandatory to buy those accessories (Either before delivery or after delivery)and didn't mentioned what the accessories were saying that they themselves weren't aware of them! Please guide anyone!

P.S. Ecosport looks stunning in flesh! but the waiting estimate that I've been given is 4 Months and the test-drives would begin from next week! Booked it even without test-driving it! All thanks to TBHP!

Keep revvin'
S@ndy

Last edited by S@ndy : 27th June 2013 at 17:29.
S@ndy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 17:28   #1693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@ndy View Post
One major query I have is that when I went to book the Ambiente variant of the Ecosport, they asked me to plonk in another 30,000 (Excluding the on-road price, Amritsar) for the optional and compulsary accessories. Although I've booked the Ambiente variant but still they said t'was mandatory to buy those accessories (Either before delivery or after delivery)and didn't mentioned what the accessories were saying that they themselves weren't aware of them! Please guide anyone!

P.S. Ecosport looks stunning in flesh!

Keep revvin'
S@ndy
So, it's CONFIRMED now. It's nobody else but FORD who has instructed dealers all across India to include mandatory accessories in the OTR price. They have kept the amount to be charged at the complete discretion of the dealers. Otherwise how can we explain all dealers across India charging this amount in cohesion.

Utter Shameful

So, the true Ex-showroom can be calculated by adding Mandatory Accessories Pack to the supposedly Ex-showroom price launched by Ford.
Old 27th June 2013, 17:31   #1694
BHPian

From the various inputs from guys across Bangalore, Mumbai, Amritsar, Delhi it looks like Dealers are seriously trying to pump up their MARGINS by pushing for accessories in the range of Rs.25000-35000/-. Not to mention forcing to go for their Insurance which would be atleast 5K more than outside.

Even if 2/10 people fight it, the other 8 will agree thinking it would help them get Ecosport earlier and not wanting to spoil their ownership experience. Also, they could think that even with 35K more, they feel it is VFM because the Ex-Showroom is very competitive.

Very unfair practise, but all the dealers do it under one guise or another.

We get a bad deal, either from the Manufacturer who takes us for granted, since no competition and if there is healthy competition that gives us a VFM proposition then the Dealers and Taxes Spoils our experience. Either way we suffer.

Cheers
MKP

Last edited by mkpiyengar : 27th June 2013 at 17:34. Reason: Added few lines
Old 27th June 2013, 17:34   #1695
BHPian

Today I test drove the diesel topend variant of the Ecosport and here is my impression.
Cars roughly compared : Dzire DDiS, Figo TDCi, Duster 110 DCi (from my personal experience)

Exterior :
- The car looks neat and at the same time quite aggressive from the front. The high ground clearance with 16 inch tyres and massive bumper (for its pseudo suv like construction) creates an fake impression of it being a big car. But it is not ! Its about the length of Dzire with slightly taller stance and about the same width. When parked in isolation it actually creates an deceiving stance of being big. This is something opposite to what it is with Figo which feels smaller than it actually is !
Duster is a lengthier car no doubt with decent clothes but Ecosport decidedly looks more futuristic. Duster's outdated and build to price side profile doesnt do any favor to the car either.

Build Quality :
- SOLID. Ford in general makes its car tough and Ecosport actually feels even better. The doors are unusually heavy for the segment of car it is (not that I am complaining.) Car feels well cocooned inside. Not Linea like shield but not too far behind either. Duster feels relatively light weight , especially the way doors operate and the overall quality of metal used.
- Fit and finish inside out is satisfactory. Nothing much to complain about in this regard. I hope the car remains rattlefree in long run.

Interiors :
- Compared to Figo and older Fords, Ecosport has got a space age dashboard which looks quite sophisticated. Somewhat similar to new Fiesta, the dashboard compliments the character of the car well. The color combination though could have been total black instead of grey shade for the bottom end of the dash. It would have made it look classier. Quality itself is something relatively good. Dzire grade plastic (albeit tougher and more abuse friendly). Definite step up from Ford Figo's. Duster in comparison looks primitive in terms of design and overall quality. Having said that, some might still prefer Duster's clean design over Ecosport's dramatic setup.
- Interior space to honest is nothing to crib about. Headroom is pretty good as expected but width and overall space of the cabin is no better that what you get in a i20 or Fabia ! Talk space management and 4 meter Jazz still is a superbly engineered product. A Figo owner wont find Ecosport to be an upgrade in terms of space. So will be a Dzire owner. Duster has more space, especially at back.
- For my wide stance I found the front seats of ES little narrower than it should be for overall lateral support. Driving position is spot on. Backseat felt bit flat and support level is limited. Again its a not big step ahead of Figo if you discount the extra headroom.
- Visibility is good thanks to high stance. Left side blind spot as mentioned in the review is there. It can be tricky in city traffic. You feel like sitting a step lower in Figo and dzire for obvious reasons.
- Loads of gadgets. Most of them useful. Will take little getting used. Best loaded car below 10 lakhs !
- Bootspace is acceptable. Flexibility of hatch aids practicality. Duster's boot is much bigger though. Side opening hatchdoor with sparewheel attached is easier unless you are stuck in some congested area.

Engine,Gearbox and Performance :
- I drove the diesel variant and came up with mixed impression. Somehow the engine doesnt feel as punchy. Its power delivery is quite linear, smooth with no judder whatsoever. Still it wont give you sleepless nights with its performance. DDiS feels more punchy surprisingly (call it turbo boost or whatever) and more free revving. Refinement is good,similar to Dzire and slightly better than Figo's. The engine interestingly sounds like gruff petrol engine than a clattery diesel !
Duster's 110 bhp variant though has got some lag below 2000 rpm is a very strong performer in turbo zone. The highway drive is more satisfying. Its slightly more refined as well.
- Gearbox is typical Ford. Slightly long and some effort is required. But its far from rubbery and slots perfectly.
- Clutch action felt little more aggressive than it should be. (Compared to Figo and Dzire). Duster too has got similar action or its even more prominent.

Dynamics :
- The ride quality = Progressive. Improves with speed. Its not plush but not harsh either. Ford cars in general have similar setup where ride is always adequtely supportive. Figo is similar, infact very similar unless you bring on the GC equation into picture. Dzire's setup is softer at lower speeds but ES will provide better ride with rising speed. Duster is distinctly better here. Be it any speed, Renault is closest one will get to magic carpet.

- Handling is quite good. There is a sense of security and control that helps you to push the limit. Ford DNA. Figo owners can relate, Dzire owners can aspire. Duster is no bad handler either. But if pushed, ES should hold its ground better.

- Braking is fantastic. Control is excellent. No further arguments.

- Steering is bit of a let down if you love HPS. Its lighter than Figo and even Dzire's. Feedback isnt bad but that 'feel of the road' is not that well transmitted. Its feature light for city use. Not Hyundai like lifeless for sure (for those who are worried). Duster's steering is quite alright too.

Overall : The car that will change the fortune of Ford
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img20130627wa0007.jpg  

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img20130627wa0009.jpg  

Last edited by Turbokick : 27th June 2013 at 17:55.
Turbokick is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks