Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2013, 00:04   #1546
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Kudos Ford Kudos

The brilliant pricing strategy has silenced the critics and i am sure Ford has a winner. Ecosport is going to set the sales charts on fire.

I just hope Ford works with its dealers to improve the space in their service centers. As present, the service centers are congested and my cars get scratched every time they go for service. With Ecosport added to their range, space is going to be a big problem at the service centers.
Old 27th June 2013, 00:11   #1547
Senior - BHPian

Between the Ambiente & Trend the price difference is around 1L.

For that Money you get
1. ABS (10K)
2. Steering mounted audio controls (5K)
3. Rear power windows (5K)
4. Body coloured handles & orvms (3K)
5. Rear defogger & wiper (7K)
6. Rear seat adjustment (5K)

Features worth 35K. Lets say 50K considering my estimates are conservative. But still they are charging a Hefty 50K more. This is robbery. IMO the base model is the most VFM trim here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
My opinion on this:
If you plan to keep the car for a long period (6-7 years at least), buy the petrol version. If you want to sell your car after 2-3 year, you may get the benefit of less depreciation with a diesel vehicle. Just look around and compare the prices of 2-3 year old petrol and diesel cars and you'd understand what I mean.
This is contrary to popular belief which states longer the duration, more kms covered, more money saved on Diesel.
However I too vouch for what you said. The depreciation of Diesel cars are a lot less when compared to petrol. You don't need to worry about the extra 1L over the petrol as will get an extra 1.5~2L over a similar petrol variant while selling in short term (2-5 yrs).

Last edited by oxyzen : 27th June 2013 at 00:19.
oxyzen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 00:15   #1548
BHPian

Hey Guys!! I might be wrong on this but i am not happy with the diesel pricing.
In my opinion Ford has smartly played with the Indian customer by pricing the petrol models on par with the competition but pricing the diesel higher by approx 1.20 lac on every model.
When i say competition, i DON'T mean duster, I mean i20, Amaze, Desire. The reason for this is that ecosport is under 4 meters so how can we compare it to cars longer than that. It has to compete with the cars of similar length, similar space. It is clear that ford is not passing on any benefit of the under 4 mts length to the customer.
So, if you look at the car objectively, its an i20 with higher ground clearance, better build quality and dynamics. that's it. So it does deserve some premium for it but not 1.20 lac.
Ford has priced the petrol models equivalent to the competition to lure the buyers in and surprisingly its working. They know that petrol models won't be the highest in the sales chart.
I booked ecosport on 26th December 2012 and have been waiting for the car since and now i am really confused as to what should i do. Buy an i20 top model for 8.50lac or ecosport for 9.9lac? Is its tall stance really worth 1.4 lacs?

Last edited by varunsonu : 27th June 2013 at 00:20.
Old 27th June 2013, 00:32   #1549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsonu View Post
I booked ecosport on 26th December 2012 and have been waiting for the car since and now i am really confused as to what should i do. Buy an i20 top model for 8.50lac or ecosport for 9.9lac? Is its tall stance really worth 1.4 lacs?
Did you judge it just based on the length? If you need this 200mm ground clearance along with good ride and handling then get the Ecosport, if 1.4 lacs is worth it or not is upto you but if you dont need this ground clearance and can manage with i20's boat like handling and video game steering then go for i20.

Just because its under 4000mm doesnt mean it has to be priced the same as i20 or Swift, it has one very big advantage over these cars and this is what indians love the most - ground clearance and there is loads of it in Ecosport. It is a much more capable car and despite being so tall and so much ground clearance, it would handle atleast 50 times better than i20.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 27th June 2013 at 00:33.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 00:45   #1550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Did you judge it just based on the length? If you need this 200mm ground clearance along with good ride and handling then get the Ecosport, if 1.4 lacs is worth it or not is upto you but if you dont need this ground clearance and can manage with i20's boat like handling and video game steering then go for i20.

Just because its under 4000mm doesnt mean it has to be priced the same as i20 or Swift, it has one very big advantage over these cars and this is what indians love the most - ground clearance and there is loads of it in Ecosport. It is a much more capable car and despite being so tall and so much ground clearance, it would handle atleast 50 times better than i20.
I agree on the handling front but is it worth 1.40l.. and my comparison was not just with i20 but with all cars in that segment like swift, amaze etc. Some of these cars are not as bad as i20 in handling.
As you said, all ecosport has is ground clearance and handling and those differences are not worth 1.40 lac in my mind ( 50k would have been justified IMO). However, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and i respect that.
Old 27th June 2013, 01:08   #1551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As you said, all ecosport has is ground clearance and handling and those differences are not worth 1.40 lac in my mind ( 50k would have been justified IMO). However, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and i respect that.
That is because you are comparing the top end. The base model is pretty loaded as well and it is arguably equipped similarly to Swift Vxi/Vdi. It has ICE, Remote locking, Tilt steering, Electric ORVMs, front power windows. The Swift does have Fog lamps, MID & rear power windows but then it does not have the ICE. Here is difference is around 50K which you are asking for. IMO buying the Base model only makes sense.

And lets not forget you get a 1.5L petrol instead of a 1.2 or a 1.5L diesel instead of a 1.3.

Last edited by oxyzen : 27th June 2013 at 01:10.
Old 27th June 2013, 01:08   #1552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKis View Post
Went to Talera Ford, Yerwada, Pune. Test drove an ecoboost and was impressed with it. Thought about booking the titanium version and then ultimately booked a Kinetic Blue Ecosboost Titanium (O) version. Costs 964000 in PCMC, Pune.
The PCMC prices are higher than Pune by almost 7K!

Can any one advise on a couple of things?
1) Is it mandatory that the insurance need to be taken from the dealer in the first year. The sales guy told me so but i think its a big time "goli"
2) How worthful would be buying an extended warranty? The delaer is charging approx 6200 for an additional years warranty.
3) The ecoboost being an imported engine what are the chances of failure of engine parts? What are the parts that are normally covered under warranty?

Cheers
Jaykis
My comments on your questions :
1. It is not mandatory.
2. Yes extended warranty is good for peace of mind. Buy it.
3. There are not much examples of failure. Ecoboost has been in market since last 1.5 years around the world

When is the dealer giving delivery of car?
Old 27th June 2013, 01:22   #1553
BHPian

Booked ECOSPORT 1.5L TDCI titanium (o) 11.27L on road is good proposition
eagerly waiting to get my hands laid on the car
Old 27th June 2013, 01:24   #1554
BHPian

Higher ground clearance also means less road noise, or higher resale value (demand and supply gap in India).

Ecosport reminds me of The Marketing Game http://www.amazon.com/The-Marketing-.../dp/0072513802

No where has Ford mentioned introductory prices, and I think Ecosport will rewrite new and used vehicle prices.

Tonight is celebration time at Ford, for the job well done, Jai Ho Ford !!
Old 27th June 2013, 01:29   #1555
BHPian

Hi guys,

Booked a 1.5 diesel titanium (O) today, the dealer who is known to the family has confirmed that only 75 cars per month have been allocated by Ford India per dealer which will gradually be increased to 100 cars per month so expect long waiting periods. They are as of now not confirming delivery time to any one who is booking, but since the dealer is know to us he is offering us one immediately from 30 cars that he has in stock with him, the only problem is we want either a sea grey or a black titanium (O) which he does not have in stock so he will try and exchange a normal titanium with some other dealer for us. Will get to know in a day or two.

The difference between titanium and titanium (O) includes curtain air bags, start stop button and leather seats and the difference in price is approx 60k which as per me is pretty reasonable. Approx on road pricing is coming up to 11.05 on road Mumbai for 1.5 diesel titanium (O).

Regards,
VVB
Old 27th June 2013, 01:35   #1556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys!! I might be wrong on this but i am not happy with the diesel pricing.
In my opinion Ford has smartly played with the Indian customer by pricing the petrol models on par with the competition but pricing the diesel higher by approx 1.20 lac on every model.
When i say competition, i DON'T mean duster, I mean i20, Amaze, Desire. The reason for this is that ecosport is under 4 meters so how can we compare it to cars longer than that. It has to compete with the cars of similar length, similar space. It is clear that ford is not passing on any benefit of the under 4 mts length to the customer.
So, if you look at the car objectively, its an i20 with higher ground clearance, better build quality and dynamics. that's it. So it does deserve some premium for it but not 1.20 lac.
Ford has priced the petrol models equivalent to the competition to lure the buyers in and surprisingly its working. They know that petrol models won't be the highest in the sales chart.
No you are not wrong in my opinion. Ford did play their cards well and now charging a premium just for ground clearance. If just by adding ground clearance, a car becomes an SUV then i guess Fiat missed out on this aspect. They should have named their new T-jet linea as mini SUV with the kind of ground clearance it has now

It all about requirement. I would suggest you to test drive all these hatchbacks before coming to conclusion. Remember, Ecosport has lost the Iconic Ford steering feel so it now comes down to rest of the herd.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 27th June 2013, 02:09   #1557
BHPian

There has been talks regarding Ford absorbing the extra tax labelled on the 1.5 petrol variant of Ecosport.

When viewed in isolation, Ford Classic 1.6 too starts at 5.5 odd lakhs which does carry both size and engine disadvantage for taxable norms.

So it can be either Ford under pricing both these cars or at the given price Ford is able to make some money while diesel variants are priced higher than it should be.

I think its time for Ford to reposition the other cars which might get the hit after ecosport launch.

- Figo is now perfectly positioned. Its range almost ends where the Ecosport starts. Ecoboost engine albeit lower rating can be an option now. Hot hatch in making.

- Classic is priced almost at par with comparable Ecosport variants (both petrol and diesel). While Classic is a sedan , it now feels a generation behind compared to Ecosport. I think some more price cut of the diesel variant is possible. Even stripped down version for taxi market is a good option. Just like Dzire tour.
- New fiesta is nothing but the 'sedanised' version of Ecosport. It has almost nothing to justify the extra lakh premium over equivalent ES variant. Great car with not so great pricing. Total reposition in its pricing(lower ofcourse) after a small facelift can improve its chances. Ecoboost can be added to the range. Some more horses from both the existing engines can differentiate it from ES.
Old 27th June 2013, 02:50   #1558
BHPian

i'm sure u haven't had the correct brochure

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
But as per the Brochure the side and curtain airbags is listed only for AT. Driver and Passenger Airbags are present in both variants.

So either the brochure is incorrect or side/curtain Airbags is only for AT.

Cheers
MKP
Insurance costs 6k more at Metro Ford Palace cross compared to Lathangi

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Received this from Lathangi Ford.

What is incidental expenses? - Rs 8000
Isn't extended warranty too expensive? Rs 10444
And essential pack? Puncture kit and key chain for Rs 4500?

Making hay when the sun shines?

Attachment 1102822
Cauvery is charging 8k more than lathangi and 2k more than metro ford on insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmokid View Post
This is weird. The prices are different between dealers? Here's the document from Cauvery Ford, there is a different of ~8K.
I guess incidental expenses includes the 'charges' at the RTO
Old 27th June 2013, 03:05   #1559
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
I have a query:

- My monthly running is about 500 kms so I am considering buying petrol Titanium variant
- The Ex-showroom price difference in Mumbai between 1.5L and 1L Titanium petrol variant is INR 40,897. With addition of registration, taxes and other items this difference will increase to INR 45,000
- As per my calculation at current petrol rate of INR 74 per liter, I will have to drive 58,600 kms to recover INR 45,000 which would be around 10 years from now
- Even if petrol was to touch INR 100 per liter, I will have to drive 43,350 kms to recover INR 45,000 which would be around 7 years from now

Given this, do you think Ecoboost is worth it if my running is so less? Also, what should be the rational behind buying Ecoboost Vs 1.5L petrol engine?
Forget about the number of years it would take to recover the 40k extra you pay for the EcoBoost. The EcoSport with its EcoBoost engine should give you good mileage if you drive with a light right foot. And it should give you good linear power delivery when you need it, albeit not immediately but in a second or two. This alone is worth the extra cash IMO.

Also, do consider the 1.5 petrol only if you want the AT to go with it, or if you can't spend more than 7 lakhs on your EcoSport, in which case you'll need to settle for the bare bones 1.5 liter Ambient variant.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 04:06   #1560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
There has been talks regarding Ford absorbing the extra tax labelled on the 1.5 petrol variant of Ecosport.

When viewed in isolation, Ford Classic 1.6 too starts at 5.5 odd lakhs which does carry both size and engine disadvantage for taxable norms.

So it can be either Ford under pricing both these cars or at the given price Ford is able to make some money while diesel variants are priced higher than it should be.

I think its time for Ford to reposition the other cars which might get the hit after ecosport launch.

- Figo is now perfectly positioned. Its range almost ends where the Ecosport starts. Ecoboost engine albeit lower rating can be an option now. Hot hatch in making.

- Classic is priced almost at par with comparable Ecosport variants (both petrol and diesel). While Classic is a sedan , it now feels a generation behind compared to Ecosport. I think some more price cut of the diesel variant is possible. Even stripped down version for taxi market is a good option. Just like Dzire tour.
- New fiesta is nothing but the 'sedanised' version of Ecosport. It has almost nothing to justify the extra lakh premium over equivalent ES variant. Great car with not so great pricing. Total reposition in its pricing(lower ofcourse) after a small facelift can improve its chances. Ecoboost can be added to the range. Some more horses from both the existing engines can differentiate it from ES.
Err, both classic and figo are actually a generation old. The previous generation fusion is what ecosport is replacing. The prices seem spot on.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks