Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2013, 21:41   #61
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Excellent review! Certainly worth the wait
Couple of quick questions,
1) you mentioned that Ecoboost is lightweight but the kerb weight for ecoboost is higher than for 1.5. Any reason why that is the case?
2) Some of the pics are from blue coloured vehicle, can you share its full pics?
Old 25th May 2013, 21:47   #62
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Vid for the excellent review. Probably the most detailed official review so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Ford will offer the EcoSport in a total of 10 variants, 3 engine options and 2 transmissions. The 1.5L Diesel MT will be available in all trims, just like the Fiesta diesel. This engine will obviously be the volume generator for Ford. 2 Petrol engines are on offer, a 1.5L Ti-VCT motor from the Fiesta and the 1.0L 3-cylinder turbo-charged EcoBoost. The EcoBoost will only be available on the top Titanium and Titanium (O) variants. The 1.5L Ti-VCT is made in all variants, except the top Titanium (O). You also get this engine with a DSG automatic in the Titanium trim.
This is where I am a bit puzzled with Ford’s strategy with variants. The so-called top variant is not really top. It gets 6 airbags, keyless entry and the likes, but loses out on ESP, hill-hold assist etc. And if I am a buyer who wanted a fully loaded AT, they just don’t give an option (probably to keep the cost in check).

Quote:
The only real issues we observed were loosely fitted plastic panels around the gear lever and meter console. We could easily shake the entire instrument console by hand. On a related note, the same problem was observed with the foglamp housing on the bumper.
Probably a common issue with latest Ford models. I remember hearing exactly same comments in Carbuyer UK’s review of the face-lifted Fiesta hatchback.

Quote:
There's one major fly in the driving ointment and we're going to dedicate an entire paragraph to it. A good steering wheel is taken for granted on a Ford. Sadly, that's not the case with the EcoSport. It does appear that the EPS has been configured at Chennai neighbour, Hyundai! We find this peculiar because the Fiesta's EPS is well-calibrated and the mechanicals are the same between the two cars. It's all down to the different tuning. Few will have an issue within the city. You'll find the steering to be light & effortless in urban India. At parking speeds too, the EcoSport's steering is a breeze to operate. Unfortunately, it just doesn't weigh up sufficiently at speed. Enthusiasts will be completely put off. The overtly light steering doesn't complement the dynamics, and you simply don't feel as confident. Over a 100 kph, GTO found the steering twitchy and a bit dead in the straight ahead position. Also weird that he had to make continuous corrections when driving in a straight line at speed.
Sad to know this. I found the Fiesta’s EPS nice with good amount of feedback and was expecting the Ecosport to follow similar lines.

Quote:
This dual-clutch AT is available only with the 1.5L Ti-VCT petrol engine (same as the Fiesta). Note that the gearbox lettering is now on the right side, and there's an S mode (vs the Fiesta's L mode)
Look what we found. The EcoSport DCT gets Tiptronic! This feature was sorely missed on the Fiesta DCT:
Nice update indeed. Infact I am quite interested to know how the Ecosport 1.5 DCT match against the new kid in the block – Polo GT TSI DSG. The former maybe an Urban SUV, but effectively both similar in many ways considering the tech and space in offer.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2013, 21:49   #63
BHPian

I remember reading somewhere (the Ecosport pics thread maybe) that the grab handles are not present only in the Titanium Plus variant because it has side airbags.

The other two variants Trend and Ambiente should come with grab handles.
Old 25th May 2013, 21:49   #64
Senior - BHPian

Others were too eager to post review in a 'me first' race. Now they must be finding place to hide their faces.

This review is ahead of all by ages! It is the most informative review and certainly worth the wait.
Old 25th May 2013, 21:58   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Others were too eager to post review in a 'me first' race. Now they must be finding place to hide their faces.

This review is ahead of all by ages! It is the most informative review and certainly worth the wait.
Slow and steady wins the race mate.
Old 25th May 2013, 22:10   #66
BHPian

You know you are addicted to team-bhp and its official reviews when you login from your laptop using a data-card while on the train travelling to Kerala, just so that you can read the Ecosport review that was promised by GTO earlier in the day .

Fantastic review! Rated 5 stars, which is not easy considering that pretty much every one else has reviewed it before.

Some takeaways that I didn't get from any other review

* Range of fuel efficiency: 7.9 kmpl to 15.1 kmpl (I was getting worried when other reviewers all had the MID showing fuel efficiency in the single digits)
* Confirmation that the EPS is not as good as the one on the Fiesta. Since this is electrical/electronic, is it something that can be calibrated later?
* Very good audio system. I know that when GTO and Vidyut say that they won't upgrade, then it really is good!
* Engine performance: I like to unleash it once in a while, so it is good to know that engine, handling, braking are all up to it!
* I can't handle cars with low seating (bad back) and my family finds soft suspensions nauseating. Again good to know that I don't have to compromise on this to get a good handling vehicle
* The snap of the boot with luggage fills me with confidence that the space is just right for our family of four

Now only three questions left
1) Do I get an Ecoboost or TDCI with Kirrius remap?
2) How much do I need to save, in order to afford this dream car?
3) Do I go for the pure Red or the Orange? I really love Red cars, especially if it is the Polo Red or the Beat Red (don't like the Figo or Swift Red so much)?

Hopefully they will be answered soon!

Last edited by anoop.mathew : 25th May 2013 at 22:12. Reason: Corrected spelling
Old 25th May 2013, 22:21   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop.mathew View Post
3) Do I go for the pure Red or the Orange? I really love Red cars, especially if it is the Polo Red or the Beat Red (don't like the Figo or Swift Red so much)?
Well if you don't mind me answering only the above question, the pure red in ecosport is going to be the same as in the figo and the mars red looks really cool.
Old 25th May 2013, 22:22   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Other Points:

• In terms of features, the i20 / Verna were the benchmark among sub-10 lakh cars. Well, it's time for the Hyundais to move over. We can safely state that the EcoSport is the new benchmark.
Not Yet, Some features are still missing, Sun Roof, Light & Rain Sensor, Reverse Camera, Electrically folding mirrors, Heated Mirrors, Touch Screen, Navigation, Rear Disc Brake. Among these, at least Ford could have incorporated Light & Rain Sensor, Electrically folding Mirror which would not have costed Ford much.
Sarvodaya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2013, 22:28   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop.mathew View Post

If i'm not missing something, there is one color that is the mars red which is widely used in this media drive and in malls that has this orange tinge to it. I don't think there is a separate orange or pure red in the ecosport range. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Last edited by drpudhi : 25th May 2013 at 22:29.
Old 25th May 2013, 22:37   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post

If i'm not missing something, there is one color that is the mars red which is widely used in this media drive and in malls that has this orange tinge to it. I don't think there is a separate orange or pure red in the ecosport range. Correct me if i'm wrong.
Going by what I heard today morning , pure red is also going to be a color option. I don't think orange is available though. I do remember a mention of this in the previous ecosport thread.
Old 25th May 2013, 22:42   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiagust View Post
Going by what I heard today morning , pure red is also going to be a color option. I don't think orange is available though. I do remember a mention of this in the previous ecosport thread.
The Mars Red is actually Orange. The Brazilian Ecosport has a pure Red as well, I think. Or it may be just the post-processing on the photo. Even in in some of the snaps in the review the orange actually looks more red. Well, wait and see, I guess.
Old 25th May 2013, 22:48   #72
BHPian

The much awaited review is finally here.. A few people I know have been asking me about my opinion on the Ecosport and this review right here has almost helped me formulate one ('Almost' because a test drive by myself would be needed before I can call the opinion completely my own)
From what is so neatly mentioned (to the most possible bit of detail), I believe this is going to be one good vehicle for most people like me who use the car mostly for the ride to office (all alone) and an occasional co-passenger on the weekends. In that case, the seating capacity is not really an issue. The ground clearance and high seating position certainly helps in a city like Bangalore.
For all of us concerned about the size of the car over-all, I have a very strong feeling that irrespective of how it is, it will surely grow on us pretty quick.
Old 25th May 2013, 23:01   #73
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Vidyut for your superb review. Was waiting for this from quite some time now. Have made up my mind now

Last edited by snaronikar : 25th May 2013 at 23:03.
Old 25th May 2013, 23:12   #74
Team-BHP Support

The finest review of Team BHP! Superb Vidyut and Rush am now terribly confused about the next purchase in the family :P Do you have any further details of the hydraulic rebound stops? Is it inside the strut itself? Or outside?

ECU above battery?! what about those fumes, wont they cause an issue?

Last but not least those central lock controlled fuel lids, an over-enthu petrol bunk guys is good enough to rip those off. Has happened to many iKON owners in the past.

One again this is just brilliant and straight 5 star rating!
Old 25th May 2013, 23:19   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Superb. Amazing is an understatement. Great review. This review has tempted me to dispose off our 7 month old Santro and make way for this!

Anyway, i'll wait for sometime before i take any decision of such magnitude. Lets see how it performs in real life conditions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks