Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2019, 09:23   #3226
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Noida/New Delhi
Posts: 596
Thanked: 1,281 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karvel View Post
Happy to hear. My Octavia will go for 30k in couple of weeks. And that's one awesome mileage. Have not got beyond 24.5 kmpl till now. What's the secret?

No secret. I am mostly on cruise at 85kmph and hardly ever cross 90 on the highway. This gives me more than sufficient time to avoid constant braking and gathering speed again.

Honestly even I am surprised by the mileage I have been getting. Last Sunday - a 1pm Noida to Gurgaon (one horizon center) run showed a mileage of 27.4!

Unfortunately not able to post the picture!

Rohan
RohanDheman is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 10:19   #3227
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 79
Thanked: 72 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
3rd Service Update

Apart from the basic stuff, there was just one issue to report- my memory seats were not working. Turns out that there was moisture inside the switch and that had affected its functioning. They opened and cleaned it but its only functioning intermittently. Will probably get the switch changed as it only costs INR 2500.
I'm facing the seat memory issue. When I try to set by pressing and holding the set and one of the number buttons, I dont hear a sound that its stored the settings. Hopefully its just switch issue like yours than anything.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st January 2019 at 07:50. Reason: Minor formatting of quoted post
abacusv is offline  
Old 10th January 2019, 07:37   #3228
sud
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 146
Thanked: 124 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
No secret. I am mostly on cruise at 85kmph and hardly ever cross 90 on the highway. This gives me more than sufficient time to avoid constant braking and gathering speed again.

Honestly even I am surprised by the mileage I have been getting. Last Sunday - a 1pm Noida to Gurgaon (one horizon center) run showed a mileage of 27.4!

Unfortunately not able to post the picture!

Rohan
You should be a real Monk to not cross 90 on this machine Thats an impressive figure.
sud is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 15:41   #3229
BHPian
 
rutvij's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 390
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

My 4th service is due and I have booked it for Monday.

One issue that I am facing is that both my scrollers on Steering Wheel are broken now. The price quoted is around 21k!

I have seen quite a number of owners here who are facing same issue. This part is available on net. Has anyone tried to import it?

Its available for around 100 Euros including shipping.
https://www.cars-equipment.com/www/e...s/#prettyPhoto

My Earlier Post:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4331371 (Skoda Octavia : Official Review)

Another issue which has remained unsolved is squeaking noise coming from front suspension when going over bumps. Let us see what solution they are offering this time.

Me Earlier Post:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4398408 (Skoda Octavia : Official Review)
rutvij is offline  
Old 19th January 2019, 17:37   #3230
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 4,206
Thanked: 4,965 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post

Another issue which has remained unsolved is squeaking noise coming from front suspension when going over bumps. Let us see what solution they are offering this time.

Me Earlier Post:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4398408 (Skoda Octavia : Official Review)
Hi rutvij,

Try and get the steering button kit changed under goodwill warranty. Hope there are no signs of exterior damage etc?Loads of complaints against the same - just too delicate a component.

Skoda refused to change my stabilizer link rods saying they have lubricated it etc. The irritating squeaky noise came back in 3 days flat for me.

I think it's this part: https://www.amazon.com/Front-Suspens.../dp/B076MHKSK9

I'm too tired to go back again. Living with it for now.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 23:38   #3231
Senior - BHPian
 
Pancham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata/Noida
Posts: 1,119
Thanked: 639 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia 2018 L&K with virtual cockpit

My Octavia Story

I wanted to share this short write-up about my experience with the 2018 Skoda Octavia. Quite contrary to the title of the post this is actually about my girl friend's father's Octavia and not mine.

Cut 1:

A little bit of a background, I have been driving a white i20 Asta for the past 8 years and frankly I am quite bored. The car is still stable and is going strong but there isn't much you can do with the car. I do not believe in cosmetic mods so I have stayed away from wraps, alloys and other cosmetic upgrades.

So to cut the short story even shorter I decided that I will change my car. My next car has to be fun to drive (cliche, I know). However, to be very honest and without offending anyone none of the cars below the 20L bracket appeal to me anymore. There was a time I wanted to buy the Fluidic Verna, then the rapid, then I went gaga over the Polo GT. However, none of these excite me anymore and the overall fun to drive factor with good built quality is a thing of past (for Japanese and Korean cars, in my opinion).

However, cross the 20L border and go north and the Germans are there to welcome you with an array of good solid built cars with decent level of equipment as well.

My heart was set for the Octavia. The VRS is a dream but a 1.8 Tsi will do, I thought. However, the Octavia dream had to wait. As I am shifting jobs and could be moving to a different city in a few months' time and coupled with the fact that the German owners of the Czech brand command a decent amount of moolah for the car, I decided to wait till things settled down.

Cut 2:
I have a girl friend. We are pretty close. I, personally am quite close to her family as well. Her father like all of us here is a petrol head. Swears by good petrol cars, is a Fiat fan, buys cars and forgets to sell them. He has a Fiat Palio and an Adventure in his garage right now apart from a three Honda Citys from different generations.

One evening, he expressed his desire of buying a 'good' car. No one took him seriously as this discussion was a result of a recurrent mood that he seemed to have every now and then. However, me being me indulged into the conversation and soon realized that he was interested in the Compass. We got the Compass home for a test drive. He wanted the petrol version since he wanted an automatic this time. The dealers were kind enough to leave the car with us for a day. Both of us drove it around and enjoyed it. However, to me it did not strike a chord. I was quite disappointed with the turbo lag. I love how a Compass looks, however, drive-ability wise it did not make the cut. I wouldn't want to spend my hard earned 20L on a Compass.

In between our conversations I had slipped in the idea of an Octavia. I mean, I wanted to buy the car but in case he buys it will be just as much fun since I will get to drive it often as well.

He probed and asked me a million questions and then agreed for a test drive. Sunday, 16 December, a very polite sales guy from Skoda arrived in a silver TD car (petrol auto). We took it out. We both had fun. He agreed its a great car. Then nothing happened. Since it was going to be a company purchase he had to sort out some stuff at his end and within a few days my girl informs me very casually that he has booked the car.

A black 2018 Skoda Laura L&K with virtual cockpit.

She was also kind enough to disclose (to me) that Daddy picked up the Octavia because I am crazy about the car.

Cut 3:

He loves the car. He is very happy with the car. Although he drove very little on the day of the delivery. He asked me to take it out of the showroom and let me drive for around 100 kms that day.

We went to a Dhaba outside the city for lunch. He did take the wheel in the highway and he seemed to enjoy the car more than I did. I was rather babying the car, he was not.

Here are some of the pictures from last Sunday we picked it up:
Skoda Octavia : Official Review-pic-1.jpg

Skoda Octavia : Official Review-pic-2.jpg

Skoda Octavia : Official Review-pic-4.jpg

Last edited by manson : 21st January 2019 at 16:13. Reason: Mod Note : Team-BHP maintains a strong stand against drinking and driving, and any mention of alcohol.
Pancham is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 09:59   #3232
sud
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 146
Thanked: 124 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
My 4th service is due and I have booked it for Monday.
Another issue which has remained unsolved is squeaking noise coming from front suspension when going over bumps. Let us see what solution they are offering this time.

Me Earlier Post:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4398408 (Skoda Octavia : Official Review)
I too have the same problem. If I remember correctly started happening somewhere post 45K-50K kms. And asked service centre to check the link rods. After inspection they said link rods are fine and just need cleaning and lubrication. But again it reappeared in few weeks. As with @itwasntme, I also started living with it. Seems like a prevalent issue.
sud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 10:20   #3233
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 4,206
Thanked: 4,965 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sud View Post
I too have the same problem. If I remember correctly started happening somewhere post 45K-50K kms. And asked service centre to check the link rods. After inspection they said link rods are fine and just need cleaning and lubrication. But again it reappeared in few weeks. As with @itwasntme, I also started living with it. Seems like a prevalent issue.
Don't know why they politely declined to change the set even when I wanted to pay for it. It's barely 2k each but it seems they have to place an order for it first. If it gets more irritating I may still get them to change them.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 10:34   #3234
BHPian
 
sharktale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 376
Thanked: 753 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia 2018 L&K with virtual cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
My Octavia Story

I wanted to share this short write-up about my experience with the 2018 Skoda Octavia. Quite contrary to the title of the post this is actually about my girl friend's father's Octavia and not mine.
Congratulations! This car looks best in black, be it the earlier version, or this facelift variant.

It seems like you got it from Global Skoda, who are the new dealers for Kolkata location. How was your/your FIL's experience with them for the new purchase?
sharktale is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 13:18   #3235
Senior - BHPian
 
Pancham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata/Noida
Posts: 1,119
Thanked: 639 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia 2018 L&K with virtual cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
Congratulations! This car looks best in black, be it the earlier version, or this facelift variant.

It seems like you got it from Global Skoda, who are the new dealers for Kolkata location. How was your/your FIL's experience with them for the new purchase?
The experience was pretty good. The sales rep was very polite. Surprisingly, they were not offering any discount on the car. I am not sure what happened at the end since the company was handling the purchase and they got another L&K for another colleague of his.

Overall, the experience was quite positive.
Pancham is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 15:03   #3236
BHPian
 
sharktale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 376
Thanked: 753 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia 2018 L&K with virtual cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
The experience was pretty good. The sales rep was very polite. Surprisingly, they were not offering any discount on the car. I am not sure what happened at the end since the company was handling the purchase and they got another L&K for another colleague of his.

Overall, the experience was quite positive.
Good to know that the sales side is being polite as well.

I have mixed opinions about the service. They are most often accommodating at their end, but I still don't understand why doesn't Skoda India build an fortress of inventory of parts at dealer level. The turnaround time is killing.

My car is in the garage for over a week, due to non-receipt of the water pump, which had failed again at the end of the 2nd year of ownership.
Though with some haggling, I've got a Test Drive Rapid with me as a loaner car for my troubles. The SAs are trained to handle customers, but the processes are far from refined, I believed.

Nonetheless, happy km-crunching.
sharktale is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 18:25   #3237
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,837
Thanked: 6,595 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia 2018 L&K with virtual cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
My Octavia Story

I wanted to share this short write-up about my experience with the 2018 Skoda Octavia. Quite contrary to the title of the post this is actually about my girl friend's father's Octavia and not mine.
Lovely story. Reminds me of the powerdrift video series on the octavia they did recently, and struck a very very similar chord.

Red Liner is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 19:35   #3238
Senior - BHPian
 
Pancham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata/Noida
Posts: 1,119
Thanked: 639 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Lovely story. Reminds me of the powerdrift video series on the octavia they did recently, and struck a very very similar chord.
Yes, it was a lovely story. But I think it was about the Kodiaq no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
Good to know that the sales side is being polite as well.

I have mixed opinions about the service. They are most often accommodating at their end, but I still don't understand why doesn't Skoda India build an fortress of inventory of parts at dealer level. The turnaround time is killing.

My car is in the garage for over a week, due to non-receipt of the water pump, which had failed again at the end of the 2nd year of ownership.
Though with some haggling, I've got a Test Drive Rapid with me as a loaner car for my troubles. The SAs are trained to handle customers, but the processes are far from refined, I believed.

Nonetheless, happy km-crunching.
So the service is strictly average you say?

One reason I would not want to consider a top model Octavia: the level of equipment and gadgets the car has, considering I keep my cars for 7-8 years, something is bound to break. Hence my choice: Octavia version: Style.
Trying to reduce our chances to visit the service center as much as you can but then you cannot really do much about mechanical parts, do you.
Can you throw some light about the water pump? Why and how it broke ?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 20th January 2019 at 20:08. Reason: Removed video from qoute.
Pancham is online now  
Old 20th January 2019, 19:36   #3239
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,837
Thanked: 6,595 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Yes, it was a lovely story. But I think it was about the Kodiaq no?

Part two took on the octavia on the track i guess.
Red Liner is online now  
Old 21st January 2019, 04:29   #3240
BHPian
 
sharktale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 376
Thanked: 753 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Can you throw some light about the water pump? Why and how it broke ?
There's no specific reason why it broke. It just does. My car is only driven in the city by the chauffeur , and has only covered 12K kms, in the past 2.5 years.

Apparently, a relative also has coolant issues on his 7 year old Superb, quite often.

Please get the extended warranty/whatever is required to extend your warranty. It's be a very wise decision.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st January 2019 at 07:49. Reason: Fixing quote tags
sharktale is online now  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks