Team-BHP - 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-305.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by iss1307 (Post 3894206)
Honda City i-Vtec 1.5 or Volkswagen Vento 1.6 mpi.
Which one to chose? Your views please BHP'ians.

The sales is enough proof for you I think. The Indian customer is really smart and after considering all points and benefits alone do they choose a winner and worthy car. And that winner is the City. Hands down. Sales leader. I'm not saying that the sales chart should influence you decision alone but in this case it says a lot. You'll always be on the safer side from all angles with a City. VW is kind of suicidal. As a machine, the Vento too is not bad at all ( I loved the 1.6 diesel the most), but once you buy it, then you're on your own. VW kinda gets allergic to you ;) . Get the picture?

Quote:

I don't want to post a long comparo for the two. In a nut shell, 1.5 i-VTEC is the hands down winner when it comes to manual petrol but it's the converse when it comes to choosing a diesel or petrol AT among these two.

Just my two cents but to each his own! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixantz (Post 3894219)
The sales is enough proof for you I think. The Indian customer is really smart and after considering all points and benefits alone do they choose a winner and worthy car. And that winner is the City. Hands down. Sales leader. I'm not saying that the sales chart should influence you decision alone but in this case it says a lot. You'll always be on the safer side from all angles with a City. VW is kind of suicidal. As a machine, the Vento too is not bad at all ( I loved the 1.6 diesel the most), but once you buy it, then you're on your own. VW kinda gets allergic to you ;) . Get the picture?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pferdestarke (Post 3894283)
I don't want to post a long comparo for the two. In a nut shell, 1.5 i-VTEC is the hands down winner when it comes to manual petrol but it's the converse when it comes to choosing a diesel or petrol AT among these two.

Just my two cents but to each his own! :D

Thanks guys!
Actually the only reason I'm asking this question is because of the many niggles the 4th Generation City has, as reported by the owners.
I am a die hard City fan from the start, but I'm keeping an open mind to weigh each cars pros and cons.
The cars I had in mind were:
1) Honda City 1.5 i-vtec
2) VW Vento 1.6mpi
3) Ford Ecosport 1.0 Ecoboost

I ruled out the Ecosport after a test drive with my parents because of the Claustrophobic feeling the car gave. Although the 1.0 engine was amazing!

Finally it came between the Vento and City.
I was BLOWN away by the dynamics of the Vento! But then when considering points like reliability, resale value, cost of ownership, the City wins hands down! And space is the best offered in the City. The VW loses because of the giant transmission hump, seating 5 is a pain.
But still I love the VW's pom pom horn and the driving dynamics. :p

Quote:

Purely head to head for the Manual petrol based on drivability and sales, the City wins. I doubt if the Vento MT even sells in 3 digits.

Having said that, from the usage details you have mentioned in an earlier post, your running is not going to be much and I don't think you will end up with wear and tear replacements for some time. So if your heart says Vento, go for it. get the extended warranty and you should be covered for 4 years. just because the mass market likes the City, does not mean everyone has to buy that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixantz (Post 3894219)
VW is kind of suicidal. As a machine, the Vento too is not bad at all ( I loved the 1.6 diesel the most), but once you buy it, then you're on your own. VW kinda gets allergic to you ;) . Get the picture?

I don't think we should be making such generic statements. While I won't contest that the City in general probably provides a more hassle free ownership experience (which also I am beginning to question considering the number of niggles reported and service center trips owners are having to make), does not mean every person who buys a VW is in for a whole lot of trouble. There are a lot of parameters in play.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajeevraj (Post 3894370)
Purely head to head for the Manual petrol based on drivability and sales, the City wins. I doubt if the Vento MT even sells in 3 digits.

Having said that, from the usage details you have mentioned in an earlier post, your running is not going to be much and I don't think you will end up with wear and tear replacements for some time. So if your heart says Vento, go for it. get the extended warranty and you should be covered for 4 years. just because the mass market likes the City, does not mean everyone has to buy that.

Actually I love both the cars. The kind of dynamics VW offers cannot be justified by the City. But the City wins in the departments that matter the most in India and those are space, reliability, resale value, lower cost of ownership. However it loses out on built quality, quality of interiors and sheer dynamics. Not saying it is a bad handler or dynamically bad, it is no doubt a very well balanced car but it loses out to the German.
As of now we have finalised the City.
We are waiting for the 2016 facelift which will cause the dealers to give more discount for the existing one. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by iss1307 (Post 3895007)
We are waiting for the 2016 facelift which will cause the dealers to give more discount for the existing one. :D

A face-lift so quickly? Isn't it supposed to come in 2017. I am reading different news on different sites.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iss1307 (Post 3895007)
<snip>

A discount will probably be wishful thinking, from the day the new City was launched there were no discounts or even free goodies (I got a small free gold plated dashboard idol though). The general message is that you are lucky to be owning a City, it is not going to change till the sales dip drastically or a real contestant emerges.

As for the reported niggles, expect it to be a little bit higher because the sales volume is impressive and hence the number of owners in forums like this is higher. Personally, I have been using the iVTEC for more than 18 months now and no complaints till now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sun_king (Post 3895175)

As for the reported niggles, expect it to be a little bit higher because the sales volume is impressive and hence the number of owners in forums like this is higher. Personally, I have been using the iVTEC for more than 18 months now and no complaints till now.

The niggles are not related to the sales volumes. Most of the people with niggles are having the same issues. In most cases, the defects are related to ridiculous cost cutting.

Toyota Vios is looking all set to deal a killer blow to Honda, I wish it was available when I bought my City. When is this expected to launch?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mxh (Post 3895264)
The niggles are not related to the sales volumes. Most of the people with niggles are having the same issues. In most cases, the defects are related to ridiculous cost cutting.

Toyota Vios is looking all set to deal a killer blow to Honda, I wish it was available when I bought my City. When is this expected to launch?

I am expecting it to be displayed during this Auto Expo. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mxh (Post 3895264)

Vios should be a car to watch out for. I think Toyota's entry into the C (C+) segment has been long pending. However, I hope don't get overboard with their cost cutting which they did with Etios.

Lastly, I do think that the City / Verna are better equipped than the Vios (at least the Malaysian version)

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkshatR (Post 3895556)
Vios should be a car to watch out for. I think Toyota's entry into the C (C+) segment has been long pending. However, I hope don't get overboard with their cost cutting which they did with Etios.

Lastly, I do think that the City / Verna are better equipped than the Vios (at least the Malaysian version)

Yes! I saw a comparison between the Nissan Sunny, Toyota Vios and Honda City on YouTube. The Honda City won.

Honda City now gets black interior option with VX(O) BL

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-hondacityblackinterior.jpg

Quote:

The new grade is positioned alongside existing VX(O) grade available in Beige Leather Interiors and is offered in Manual Transmission in both petrol & diesel in Premium White Orchid Pearl and Alabaster Silver colours in the line-up. The 4th Generation Honda City has appealed to a large number of young buyers and the introduction of VX(O)BL is in response to the younger customer’s voice. The grade also comes with Sunroof and Advanced Integrated Touchscreen Audio Visual Navigation (AVN).
In addition, Honda has also made Dual Airbags and ISOFIX and Top Tether Anchor as standard across the range. ABS with EBD is also standard (Guess it was already there earlier)

Good move by Honda with the updated safety features.

Updated Honda City Prices (ex-showroom, Delhi)

Petrol variants
E MT – Rs 7.63 lakh
S MT – Rs 8.29 lakh
SV – Rs 8.89 lakh
V MT – Rs 9.47 lakh
VX MT – Rs 10.44 lakh
SV CVT – Rs 9.92 lakh
VX CVT – Rs 11.53 lakh
VX (O) – Rs 10.74 lakh

Diesel variants
EMT – Rs 8.85 lakh
SMT – Rs 9.51 lakh
SVMT – Rs 10.01 lakh
VMT – Rs 10.66 lakh
VXMT – Rs 11.64 lakh
VX (O) – Rs 11.94 lakh

Source: Shifting gears

Hi Guys,

I just stumbled upon this article - http://www.team-bhp.com/news/honda-r...i-vtec-engines

I thought, the i-VTEC is a naturally aspirated petrol engine. Did Honda ever launch a vehicle in India with a "turbo i-VTEC"?

Dear All,
Just wondering this all black interiors are only available with manual transmission, as the price suggests. Did not understand why the cvt model be deprived of black interiors. :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by db0009 (Post 3896356)
Dear All,
Just wondering this all black interiors are only available with manual transmission, as the price suggests. Did not understand why the cvt model be deprived of black interiors. :Frustrati

Makes sense to me, black is the preferred colour for car enthusiasts, and generally enthusiasts do not buy CVTs. :D
By the way, have the prices gone up. Is there an arbitrage opportunity for 2015 buyers? :)